The Legend of Zelda- Ocarina...

By dragonrand100

"This is the tale of an ancient land of lush forests and verdant meadows. A land blessed by the Goddesses whe... More

Prologue
The Boy Without a Fairy
The Curse
Gohma's Lair
Farewells
Hyrule Field
Twilight
A Thief in the Night
Journey to Hyrule Castle
Zelda's Lullaby
The Dancing Goron
Death Mountain
Dodongo's Cavern
Sworn Brothers
Lost in the Woods
Lord Jabu Jabu
The Portal
Written in Blood
Darkest Hour
Seven Years
Broken Mirror
Minuet of the Forest
The Flow of Time...
Children of the Forest
Nightingale
The Kokiri
Song of Storms
Into the Fire
Bolero of Fire
Volvagia
Mirror, Mirror
Serenade of Water
Lake Hylia
Darkness Within
Tainted Waters
Left Behind
Unlikely Allies
Ice and Fire
Into the Desert
Wounded
Requiem of Spirit
The Pheonix
Shadows Rising
A Demon in Kakariko
The Last Sheikah
Lens of Truth
Into Darkness
Nocturne
Illusions
Bongo Bongo
The Raven
Prelude of Light
Before the Storm
The Queen's Banner
Into the Breach
Time's End
The Demon King
A Demon's Wrath
Hero of Time
Epilogue
Acknowledgements

Epona

847 34 40
By dragonrand100

Chapter 27
Epona

The pattering rain pelted the small shelter. Link sat inside, keeping vigil beside Sheik as Rin tended to her injuries. There didn't seem to be a lot they could do except wait. Sheik lay on a bedroll, the bed that had once belonged to a Kokiri now serving as a makeshift table. The younger Sheikah's features were deathly pale, a fever now sapping her strength.

Will she be alright? Link wondered, careful not to voice the question aloud.

He felt Navi shift on his shoulder and then fly into the air.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"Just..." Navi faltered, her voice hoarse with grief. "There's something I must do. I'll be back."

With that, Navi flew off out the door. Link considered going after her but decided that Navi would not appreciate him doing so. Instead, he turned his attention back to Sheik. He didn't think she could travel now; it had taken all her strength to harm Ganondorf, and he still had no idea what she had done.

He remembered the look in Ganondorf's eyes when the spell struck him. Fear. Whatever Sheik had done, it hurt Ganondorf. For the first time, Link realised that the Desert Man was vulnerable. He wasn't the near all-powerful figure Link had perceived him to be during their fateful encounter on the drawbridge of Castletown. How could they repeat Sheik's spell? The effort had almost killed her.

As if sensing his troubled thoughts and without looking up as she applied a wet compress to Sheik's brow, Rin asked him to recount what happened after Volvagia entered the Kokiri grove. Reluctantly, Link obliged. He drew a deep breath and told her everything, finishing with Sheik's attack on Ganondorf.

Rin did not interrupt Link once, for which he was grateful. As his story went on, her eyes seemed stone-like, almost unnerving him. Once Link finished, she gave the faintest hint of a frown and gazed in Sheik's direction.

"She will be alright, won't she?" he asked worriedly.

Much to Link's discomfort, Rin did not reply immediately. "I am certain she will be, but it may be many days until she can travel."

I guess that means I'm going to Death Mountain alone, Link thought, not relishing the prospect of traversing the mountain's treacherous slopes.

As a silence grew between them, Link found one question nagging at his mind. It was something that Sheik had uttered when Rin revived her. Not only that, but Rin knew Zelda had given him the ocarina, and neither he nor Navi had told her. Perhaps it was a coincidence, but Link wasn't so sure. Suspicion gnawed at him, refusing to be ignored. Unable to keep from asking, he blurted out, "I heard Sheik call you Impa."

That sharp, unflinching gaze. The way she held herself. Link recalled meeting her with perfect clarity. It was difficult to forget the ring of guards surrounding him when he first met Zelda. Nor did he forget Impa coming to his rescue as Ganondorf watched him with those burning eyes. Nor had he forgotten how she marched him out of the castle grounds before escorting him to Kakariko Village.

"You are Impa, aren't you?" he asked.

There was a long pause. With a twitch of a smile, Rin closed her eyes, and the air rippled around her. With a startled yelp, Link nearly fell over backward. The figure in front of him changed, Rin's features quickly aging. Impa gazed at him with her familiar red hawk-like eyes, her grey hair bound in a warrior's tail.

War, it seemed, had not agreed with her. There were lines across her brow and around her eyes that hadn't been there before, and her cheeks were gaunt.

"Sheikah have always been masters of illusion and disguise." She shook her head slightly in self-admonishment. "Normally, I am more careful not to slip back into old habits."

"How did you do that?" Link asked, unable to keep the amazement from his voice.

"Shadow magic," Impa explained, reaching for a chain around her neck to reveal an indigo medallion tucked within her blouse. Embossed upon the medallion was the symbol of a triangle and three intertwining circles upon its surface.

"This medallion can store shadow magic without touching the taint that has blemished it. It was buried in Kakariko following the Sheikah Schism," Impa explained. "Shadow magic is feared by most people, and for good reason."

"Why the disguise?" Link asked, feeling a sudden rush of anger. He swallowed, keeping his temper in check. "Why did you not tell me it was you?"

He did not like being deceived, not after so much of his old life as a Kokiri seemed a lie. Not after the secrets the Great Deku Tree and Saria kept from him, even if it was to protect him from harm. Because of Impa and Zelda's lack of warning, he had unwittingly let Ganondorf reach the Sacred Realm.

"Hyrule and the other occupants of the Ten Kingdoms believe I was killed when Hyrule Castle fell. Almost all the surviving members of the Royal Family and the Sheikah were slaughtered. I rescued Sheik and fled to Kakariko with the other refugees," Impa said without a hint of emotion.

The mere mention of that terrible night threatened to open a floodgate of memories that Link had little desire to revisit. He shut his eyes, briefly envisaging a candle flame in his mind to try and force the memories away. His efforts barely worked.

"Are you unwell?" Impa asked, her voice softening with concern.

"No, it's nothing," Link lied.

He opened his eyes and looked away, his mouth suddenly dry. "What happened that night? When I saw you with Zelda on the drawbridge."

It was Impa's turn to go quiet, and Link realised those memories were likely also unpleasant for her. Only, unlike him, she knew how to handle herself. Nothing had prepared Link for that ill-fated night. Impa turned her gaze to Sheik as though afraid they might disturb her. With a gesture, she ushered Link outside. Taking her cue, he turned on his heels and slammed his head into the doorframe.

Cursing silently, he rubbed his throbbing skull and stepped outside. He managed to keep within the shade of a balcony, which offered scant protection from the rain and then turned to face Impa. They both regarded the quiet forest, the scent of smoke still lingering in the air, and it seemed sometime before Impa spoke.

"A lot happened the night Castletown fell," Impa began. "Recounting all the details would do us little good, so I will keep it brief. I gather Sheik told you how Ganondorf attacked Hyrule Castle so swiftly?"

"No, neither did Rauru," Link admitted. He had wondered just how Ganondorf managed to invade Castletown, catching its residents and protectors unawares.

"That isn't surprising," Impa said, a hint of weariness in her voice. "Using an ancient gateway, Ganondorf summoned an army beneath the castle. If not for Nabooru, I may never have discovered what he'd done." For a moment, Impa paused. She folded her arms, looking at the trees in the fading light. "When I fled Castletown, I sensed Rauru approaching. He said he would take you to the temple. He did not mention his injury and told me to give you the Ocarina of Time, hoping you could undo Ganondorf's treachery. When I realised Ganondorf was no longer pursuing us, I ordered Volvagia to distract Ganondorf. Unfortunately, dragons are proud creatures, and Volvagia greatly underestimated Ganondorf's strength.

After that night, Zelda and I began rallying Hyrule's neighbours into an alliance. It has not been an easy task."

"Where is Zelda now?" Link asked, hoping Impa would tell him.

Impa regarded him gravely. "I'm afraid I cannot tell you. It would only take one creature to tell Ganondorf where she was, and we risk everything."

"Is she safe?" Link asked, hoping for at least some details on Zelda's well-being.

Impa gave a small nod. "She is, but as much as I want to tell you more, we must consider Ganondorf's threat to the Gorons. You told me his threat, but he could be bluffing; it would be an easy way to lure you onto Death Mountain."

What if it is a trap? Link felt like an idiot. Why hadn't he considered that?

"I can't just stay here," he protested lamely. "We will lose the Sage of Fire. I have to find them. They will be in danger if they experience the same dreams as Saria."

"I know," Impa's voice was calm. "But if Ganondorf knows you're coming, you will be in great danger."

"Darunia and the other Gorons will help me," Link insisted. "I helped them lift the curse on their cavern."

"Yes, I remember that," Impa said with stiff disapproval. "I was not pleased with Darunia's decision. It was foolhardy and almost cost you your life."

"I think I'm getting used to finding myself in life-threatening situations," Link replied stubbornly.

"No doubt," Impa said dryly.

"Impa, I have to do this. Sheik would have wanted it," Link said, desperately trying to convince her. "Besides, I have Navi."

Impa regarded him for a moment, and then she sighed heavily. "Alright, just promise me you won't travel by day."

"I won't."

The idea of travelling only by night did not sit well with him. He could not hope to make it to Death Mountain quickly, even if he rode Blaze to the point of collapse, which would be incredibly stupid. Blaze might be big and sturdy for a horse, but he was already spent from trying to outrun a dragon while fully laden.

If Ganondorf is not bluffing, then at least one Goron will die.

They'd considered using the portal in the Sacred Forest Meadow to get to Kakariko Village, but using it would alert every nearby mage to their presence. The portal in Death Mountain wasn't an option either. Not unless the Gorons could ensure an angry dragon wasn't waiting to finish him off when he appeared on the dais.

"I will send a bird to Darunia to let him know you're coming, and I will send word to my eyes and ears so they can aid you, should the need arise," Impa said

"Your what?" Link asked, feeling stupid.

"Spies," Impa explained patiently. "In the meantime, I will see to Blaze ."

"What about you and Sheik?"

"There are plenty of herbs in the forest that can help her."

"The Kokiri can help," Link said immediately.

Between Saria and their fairies, most of the Kokiri knew where to find herbs for making potions and remedies for various ailments.

"I will ask them," Impa said. "As soon as Sheik can travel, I will join you." She held out her hand, palm open, to reveal a ring. It contained a red gem in its centre, surrounded by a small gleaming golden band. "This will protect you from the elements, including fire."

So long as I don't stick my hand in anything likely to take my finger off.

"Outside the forest, I will have to resume my disguise. We will be safe here. Go find Navi. I will finish tending to Blaze soon," Impa said while Link took one of his gauntlets off and slipped the ring on his finger.

Thanking Impa, he walked back to the edge of the clearing, passing the first of the bare-branched Deku Trees. There, beside the trunk of one of the ancient trees, he found Navi kneeling beside the burnt remains of Moriko.

A small group of Kokiri were gathered at the foot of the tree, drawn by the anguished cries of their fairies as the sprites rushed to Moriko's side. Some, sensing their charges would be distraught at the sight of the mangled body, kept everyone at a distance. Mori, hovering beside Forenz, whispered something to him. The boy nodded and calmly ordered the others to keep their distance before going to see what the faeries were looking at. Moriko was almost unrecognisable, her flesh and clothing burnt to a cinder. And just from a single spell.

The Kokiri murmured to each other as Forenz knelt by the body. He stared at the corpse blankly as if unable to believe what he was seeing.

Making sure none of the Kokiri were close enough to get a good look at Moriko, Link walked over to Forenz. Navi didn't acknowledge either of them.

I'm sorry, Navi. Link thought, his heart aching as he watched her, wishing he could offer some meaningful comfort. I'm sorry we couldn't save her.

Forenz looked up at Link, and relief spread across his face. "Link... you're okay?"

"Was anyone hurt?" Link asked.

"No," Forenz shook his head, his voice a rush. "No, I got everyone away in time. When we heard the roars, we knew something was wrong. By the time you arrived, I'd nearly sent everyone to the tunnels... I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes..." his face grew troubled. "The witches used to say he'd eat us if we attempted to escape..." his face grew clouded at the mention of the two hags, his voice dropping. "I didn't really think they meant it.

"It's gone now," Link told him, trying to sound comforting.

"Did you kill it?" Forenz asked with a note of shock and awe.

"No, but I made sure it won't come back." For the sake of Forenz and the others, Link hoped he was right. He looked at Navi as she began to join the other fairies in a strange lament.

The haunting song rose in volume, transfixing Link with its haunting melody.

More fairies appeared from the woods. Some landed on Moriko, while others rested on the limbs of the Deku Tree.

"What are they doing?" Forenz asked, sounding bewildered.

"I don't know," Link whispered. He was tempted to ask Navi, but he doubted she would appreciate him asking right now.

Then, a white light enveloped Moriko. Link jumped back, barely holding in a cry of shock. The other Kokiri stepped away as well, including Forenz.

"What's happening?" one boy squeaked in alarm.

"I don't know," Link replied. "I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. Navi would've said something otherwise."

They all stood watching the bizarre spectacle. Then, the fairies began to fly away one by one, ending their sorrowful song.

"Navi?" Link asked, voicing his concern as Navi perched on his shoulder. She didn't respond.

Moments later, tiny flecks of golden light gathered around Moriko's body, and suddenly, her corpse seemed to burn as millions of dazzling dancing fireflies rose from it like tiny embers drifting into the sky. When they faded, there was no sign of Moriko's mangled body. She was gone.

"Farewell, mother," Navi whispered as the last of the light vanished.

The Kokiri were muttering in astonishment.

It took Link a while to find his voice and unstick his tongue. "Navi, what just happened?"

"Moriko is part of the forest now. Some of us will have to take on her role someday, those of us who aren't joined, that is," Navi said solemnly. "Come on, it's getting late. The others should get some sleep. Forenz, you should probably take the others and return to the temple... Rin will help you, and I'm sure Sheik will soon."

Link doubted any of the Kokiri would sleep well tonight, and more than a few had already been struggling over the last few days.

He doubted he would sleep much either, not when Volvagia and Ganondorf were still out there, nursing the wounds of their defeat. Although he'd heard some people could sleep in the saddle, he was likelier to fall off. At least Lon Lon Village would have an inn, provided it was still there.

"I will see to your friends," came Impa's voice from behind Link. "Blaze is ready for you when you want to go. Sheik and I will try to join you soon."

Navi squeaked in shock at the sight of the old Sheikah, and with considerable difficulty, Link stalled her barrage of questions.

"I'll tell you later," Link insisted once she calmed down. She seemed to accept his answer but did not look terribly pleased about it.

Link turned to Forenz. The boy was staring at him with a pained expression, as though he wanted more than anything for Link to stay.

"Come back soon," he said, his voice cracking with emotion. "Besides, I've missed sparring with you." He gave a shaky laugh. "A shame you're too tall now."

"I'd go easy on you," Link said, managing a weak smile.

A small grin tugged at the corners of Forenz's mouth, brightening his otherwise tired face. "Yeah, I'm sure you would... keep safe."

"Tell the others why I've gone," Link said. It tore him to be leaving them again.

"I'm sure they'll understand," Forenz replied.

"Come, it's getting late..." Impa said firmly. With a final farewell to Link, she steered Forenz off towards the others, who quickly surrounded him with a storm of questions.

They disappeared into the woods, their chattering fading into the night. When he found Blaze, Link saw Impa had removed Sheik's saddlebags. The horse was probably relieved to bear a lighter burden. Navi flew into her small abode in his pocket, and Link mounted. Reluctantly and almost sullenly, Blaze answered Link's tug on the reins. It was almost as if the horse wished to convey its displeasure at leaving Impa and Sheik behind.

So it was, without further delay, that Link rode into the deepening night.

~ 0 ~

A cool wind ruffled Link's hair as he and Navi made their way through the darkness of Hyrule Field. Their only landmark was the faint red hue of the clouds surrounding the peak of Death Mountain. Navi was sleeping in Link's tunic. It was far too risky for her to come out; her light would be like a tiny beacon to any that meant them harm.

Hyrule Field was far quieter than the woods. There were no chirruping insects, nor even the sharp bark of a prowling fox. The only sound was the dead grass crunching beneath Blaze's hooves like dried straw. The moon rose, its pale silver light bathing the dry and barren plains below.

Link felt restless. Not having his sword belted to his side did not help his growing unease. He almost felt naked without his blade at his side. It seemed almost ironic that he could detest wielding the Master Sword and yet feel utterly lost without it.

He decided he was alone in these desolate plains, so he donned his sword and shield, thinking that even if he did cross paths with another traveller, they were unlikely to take much notice of his gear. A thief might be a different story, but he didn't dwell on the thought.

Navi did not protest their brief stop, which was unusual for her. She had spoken little since Moriko's death. Recalling how she had died made Link feel cold and brought his mind back to his immediate task: finding Volvagia and stopping him.

Link gazed up at the thousands of tiny pinpricks of light sprinkling the sky, half expecting to see the silhouette of a serpentine creature cutting a shadow across the stars. If Ganondorf healed Volvagia and confronted him out here in the open, Link was not sure he would survive.

Was that what he intended?

Better to be attacked here than in the forest, he thought. Here, nobody else would be endangered if he was attacked.

Link's eyes drooped as he drifted into a drowsy stupor. There was no sound except the steady thumping of Blaze's hooves. Twice, he jerked awake as he nearly slipped from the saddle, prompting a mild and muffled outburst from Navi.

"What are you doing?" she demanded on the third occasion. "Can't you stay on that horse?"

Link winced at the angry comment but refrained from calling Navi out for being rude. He knew she was just upset.

Blaze's steady gait dragged Link into a near stupor, his mind already weary from the day's events. He tried to shake himself awake, willing himself to focus on something that would help him stay awake. In the distance, the black monolith of Ganondorf's tower loomed tall. The tiered monstrosity of black stone rose into the heavens, an obscene reminder to all that Ganondorf now ruled Hyrule.

Approaching so close to the tower seemed dangerous. The night offered no refuge from the creatures of shadow.

Thomp.

Thomp.

Thomp.

Link's head drooped against his chest as he struggled to keep his eyes open. He knew he should stop for the night.

Not here.

That would be a bad idea. Even a tree that he could climb up and secure himself to would be safer than the ground. He had no rope to make sure he did not fall out. Nor were there many trees in Hyrule Field that might offer shelter.

He could smell the earthy scents of the woods. Saria was calling him. "Hey, Link, I brought you something-"

Blackberries. Link's stomach grumbled, and he could taste the tart juice of the berries in his mouth even as he thought of them. It was a welcome morsel during a day's hunt. He was surprised to see her; Saria never joined him on hunts. She hated them.

"I know what day it is..." she quipped.

Then suddenly, her warm smile faded, and her expression became fearful.

Saria. What's wrong?" he asked, all thought of the berries fading.

"Link, wake up! HEY!"

Saria was yelling at him. Was it even Saria?

It sounded more like a fairy.

"What-"

"WAKE UP!" Navi screeched at the top of her lungs.

Link's eyes snapped open as Blaze reared with a shrill neigh. Disoriented and dizzy, Link fumbled for the reins. Something heavy and furry struck him hard before he could snatch hold of them, knocking him from the saddle. He hit the ground, rolling as he did so. Link reached for his sword, the rancid stench of a wolfos alerting him to his peril. Seconds before its teeth could sink into his throat, Link slammed a fist into the beast's muzzle. The wolfos snarled and snapped its jaws shut on his gauntlet. One hand still free, Link wrenched the Master Sword free of its sheath and slammed it into the grotesque hound.

Navi's glow reflected in the hungry eyes of a second wolf. As it bounded towards him, Link slammed his shield into its face. The hound fell back. Not to be deterred from the prospect of food, it rose on its back feet and howled. Link leapt forward just as it lunged at him. Dirty claws scratched against his shield. Link stepped to one side, sword swinging, steel biting through flesh as the blade struck its target. The wolfos went down with a whimper, but Link's relief was short-lived. Behind him, he could hear the telltale sounds of the beast's pack mates prowling him.

Link spun around just in time to cut his blade through the muzzle of another wolfos. The animal yelped, lashing its claws at him as it tried to reach for his throat. A quick thrust to the head stopped it in its tracks.

Link stood panting as the adrenaline drained from his body. The respite was fleeting; a cry from Navi alerted him to more wolfos. Only then did he realise that these two were not interested in attacking him. They were after Blaze.

No, not my horse!

Losing his horse now would mean it would take far longer to reach Death Mountain. Link rushed forward, knowing what was at stake if Blaze was injured.

A savage kick from Blaze connected with one beast's skull with a sickening crack. The Wolfos went still while its companion snarled and leapt onto the horse's shoulder.

"NO!" Link bellowed.

Blaze screamed horribly and fell, landing atop the corrupted wolf. The wolfos yelped, struggling to break free. It never succeeded as Link shoved the Master Sword into its head.

"Are there any left?" he asked, whirling around to find Navi.

"I don't think so," she replied, her voice trembling. "I just heard a howl. I flew out of your pocket and..."

She looked at Blaze. The horse had rolled onto its uninjured side and was kicking wildly. Navi flew over to the downed horse with Link following close behind her. To his dismay, there was a grizzly wound on the horse's neck and shoulder. The sight of the wound and the blood running in crimson rivulets down the horse's coat nearly made Link gag.

"He will not make it far, Link," Navi said.

"I can see that!" he said heatedly before catching himself and heaving a sigh, letting his shoulders drop. He hadn't meant to get angry. He was sleep-deprived and still shaken from the close encounter. Had the wolfos found him by chance, or had Ganondorf sent them?

The thought chilled him, but there was little he could do now. Breathing deeply, Link considered his options. There were not many. Attempting to ride Blaze was out of the question. The whites of the stallion's eyes were showing, and foam flecked his mouth as he tried to rise.

Link knew he had to stop the wounds from bleeding but did not know how. The cuts were deep, and he knew from experience how nasty wolfos bites could be.

"We need to get him to Lon Lon. Maybe someone in the town can help him-" he stopped, pausing when he realised something. "Of course, the ranch!"

Malon was still there, at least Link hoped she was. She would know what to do. Blaze finally quietened enough for Link to get close enough without worrying about being clobbered by a hoof. Navi meanwhile flew off towards the ranch to see if anyone was home.

How am I going to get him up? Link wondered, concerned that the horse would not rise at all.

The worry was unwarranted. Once the horse was calm, Link coaxed Blaze to his feet. He was limping badly and whimpered with even the slightest pressure on his wounded leg.

"It will be alright, boy," Link soothed.

Link gently stroked the injured horse. Blaze snorted as Link guided him towards the small gathering of dwellings in the distance that he knew was Lon Lon.

Link kept surveying his environs, certain he would encounter some Bulblins leading the Wolfos pack. They never came.

Blaze was almost stumbling when they reached the road leading up to the ranch. The faintest sliver of moonlight revealed the shuttered windows of the townhouses of Lon Lon. There was no welcoming light, nothing that promised hot food, a warm hearth, and a comfortable bed. Odd, Link thought. Once, he had not cared for such creature comforts.

Silence cloaked the village, the sight of boarded windows and the empty roadway adding to Link's unease.

I hope it's not deserted, he thought. Link assured himself that if this were the case, then Navi would have told him by now. She was nowhere to be seen, and her absence worried him. Why was she taking so long? Finally, he spotted someone striding down the road towards him. It was not Malon. Link could barely make them out from the lantern light they held in front of them. If he had thought his heart couldn't sink any further after Blaze was attacked, he was wrong.

Ingo.

Of all the farmhands at Lon Lon, Ingo was Link's least favourite by far. In fact, Ingo and favourite probably didn't belong in the same sentence. Before Link could think of something to say, someone else came storming along the path behind Ingo. It was Malon, with Navi zipping into view just behind her. Judging from Malon's clenched fists and the fury on her face, Navi had not caught her at a good time.

"Oh, you're not Gerudo," Ingo grumbled as he came to a halt. "If you're after the inn, the town's that way."

He thrust a finger towards the village.

"A wolfos attacked my horse," Link explained, pointing to the wound on Blaze's shoulder. "He needs help."

Ingo took one look at the injury and scowled. He ignored Malon, whose gaze met Link's own, a faint smile tugging at her lips. Her warm demeanour faded swiftly when she shot Ingo a foul look while his back was turned.

"Put the beast down," Ingo grunted with no hint of concern. "Be kinder to put it out of its misery."

Link was not sure what Ingo meant, but judging by the mortified look Malon shot Ingo's way, he knew it didn't involve helping Blaze.

"Ingo!" she hissed.

Ingo merely shrugged, "It's a waste of time, girl. That horse will be nothing but a rotting corpse when that bite festers, and we haven't got enough bloody food for the other horses as it is!"

"I can take care of it!" Malon said angrily.

"Fine," Ingo grunted, spitting on the ground, "But I don't want it interfering with your duties. As for you," he looked back at Link. "You can sleep in the stable until she's done or choose the inn. Probably be about the same given how rundown the place is."

Although he did not care for a nice room as much as the average Hylian, Link flushed with indignation. A part of him still felt strangely intimidated by the man, but Link ignored the feeling. He still struggled to form a retort, but Navi beat him to it.

"Hey, we're not some kind of lowlife that's just wandered off the street," she screeched, her voice pitched with indignation. "Our horse will die if you don't help us, and we need to get to Kakariko on an urgent errand."

Ingo ignored her and stormed off towards the ranch with nothing more than a disinterested grunt. Navi spared a few vehement words to his back. Link was tempted to follow her lead, but his concern turned back to Blaze.

"Will he be alright?" he asked Malon, who was bent down as she examined Blaze's injuries, her lips pursed.

"It's difficult to say. I will have to get him up to the stables right away," Malon stood up and looked at Link. Her earlier smile reappeared, albeit faintly. "It's good to see you, fairy boy. I thought..." she faltered, choosing to look at Blaze instead of him.

I was dead?

Link just inclined his head towards the ranch, and Malon nodded.

"When Navi came, I couldn't believe it. Luckily, you didn't come while I was working at the inn. I will need you to take your gear. I doubt Blaze will make it to the stables otherwise," Malon said. "Here, will you be all right carrying these?"

Without waiting for an answer, she unceremoniously dispatched the saddlebags and saddle onto the ground.

"Uhh, sure." Link said. Malon beamed; her smile was almost motherly, and Link caught himself staring into her twinkling gaze.

"I knew you would be," Malon said, almost cheekily.

"Hey, would you two hurry up!" Navi snapped them back to the task at hand. She was close enough to Link that he could see a smirk on her face.

As Malon led Blaze, Link followed, laden with his gear. Trudging up the winding path, he caught himself staring at Malon again, a strange feeling he couldn't place in his gut.

Navi's light illuminated Malon's silky red hair, which fell neatly about her shoulders. He stared, admiring the way she held herself and the way she almost skipped as she walked. Her hair seemed to ripple in the gentle breeze and-

"AHEM!"

Link flinched as Navi scooted to within an inch of his left ear, snapping him from his reverie.

"What?" he asked, smiling innocently.

"It's rude to stare at a girl like that," Navi said, still wearing that infuriating smirk.

"Is everything all right back there?" Malon called. She'd stopped and was peering back at the pair with inquisitive eyes.

"Yes," Link and Navi said at once. They looked at each other and then back at Malon. "We're fine."

Feeling the heat rising in his cheeks and still with that odd fuzzy feeling in his gut, Link quickened his pace to catch up with her.

~ 0 ~

They swiftly ushered Blaze into an unoccupied stall in the stable. It appeared almost as Link recalled it, except for the empty stalls. When he had last visited, there had been a chicken coop behind the stables. Nosy usually curled up with him at night, and Tingle would chase Navi from one end of the stall to the other. Now, there were no dogs, cats, or chickens. Instead, a gloomy silence hung over the stables, interrupted only by Blaze's pitiful whinnies.

Link couldn't afford to linger; he assisted Malon in procuring a pot of boiling water, filling it with an assortment of herbs as she directed him.

Returning to the stables, they coaxed Blaze into lying down before Malon commenced cleaning and suturing Blaze's wounds. They conversed while they worked, blending Malon's instructions with efforts to ensure Blaze remained still.

"Are you going to tell me what you have been doing these past seven years?" Malon asked.

"Sleeping mainly," Link replied without thinking. Navi gave a small chuckle while Malon looked up from Blaze's leg and frowned.

"I see. What exactly..." Malon looked bemused, her words trailing away as she looked between the boy and fairy in growing confusion.

"Long story," Link said quickly, aware of the difficulty in explaining his absence.

"I see," Malon said with a calculating stare. "What made you come here of all places? No one travels on the road these days, certainly not by dark."

"I came from the southern provinces when I heard the Kokiri were in trouble."

"Are they all right?" Malon asked, her voice concerned.

Link nodded. It was not entirely truthful to say they were all fine, but he saw no reason to elaborate. Many Kokiri were still enslaved by the Gerudo. "They're as fine as can be, all things considered."

"All things considered," Malon repeated, sounding lost in thought. "Your friend, the one who taught you that song, is she alright?"

"Yeah," Link said, almost hesitating. He didn't want to talk about Saria right now. The confusing tangle of emotions from his journey into the Forest Temple lingered quietly in the back of his mind.

"You played it all the time. It drove Ingo nuts," Malon continued with a rueful laugh.

"Sounds good to me," Navi said, her dislike of Ingo palpable.

"Saria taught it to me," Link said, still uncomfortable talking about his childhood friend. It was still difficult to process that she was so far away, unable to return until he finished his task.

"I remember," Malon said with a slow nod. "Didn't you say she was your adoptive mother?"

"Yeah. I guess," Link answered, not volunteering more details.

"I don't remember my mother," Malon said quietly. "I know she was part Sheikah, part Gerudo, and a skilled healer. She went to the Gerudo Desert on some errand and never returned, or so da' tells me. We never spoke of her much."

"I saw your father in Ordon."

"You did?" Malon asked with a jolt of surprise.

Link nodded. "I did. He misses you."

Malon looked down at the straw on the floor again, shame written across her face. "I should never have come back here."

It was nearly morning now, and the grey predawn light could be seen out the door of the stable's cold interior. The chill wasn't helped by Link's clothes, which were now drenched in sweat. He slumped back against the wall, exhausted. As Malon finished tending to Blaze, Link barely noticed a mare poking her head over her stall. She stared curiously at her newest neighbour, then nuzzled Link's head, whining softly.

"Epona remembers you, fairy boy," Malon said with a smile.

Link looked up at the mare. The white stripe down her muzzle was unmistakable. Now fully grown, Epona stood taller than Blaze. She began nibbling at Link's hat, and when he gave her an obliging scratch on the muzzle, she buzzed her lips in approval.

"I'm surprised she does," Link said.

He ducked to avoid Epona's overenthusiastic nudge.

"She's a smart horse," Malon said, looking suddenly away from the mare, her eyes downcast. "I will miss her."

Link frowned. "What do you mean?"

"It's nothing," Malon said a little too quickly. She looked back down at Blaze. There was a cloth draped across the wound, soaked in whatever mixture she had made. Even with the stitches, there was still a faint red stain on the fabric. "I have done all I can."

"Do you think he will be okay?" Link asked Malon, dreading the answer. "How long until he can walk on his leg?"

"It will be a while before we know," Malon replied. "But if you want to ride him in the next few days or weeks, you're out of luck."

Link stifled a groan, not noticing how crestfallen Malon looked.

"You're awfully eager to be off again," she said, almost sounding hurt. "Not that I blame you."

Link looked at her in alarm. "It's not that I don't want to be here. It's just..." he felt awkward and clumsy. "I'm expected elsewhere."

"I guessed as much," Malon said sadly, "Nearly everyone else has fled now. The inn still keeps a fair trade with the Gerudo coming and going, but that's it. Our neighbours have all packed and left."

"There's Gerudo here?" Link exclaimed. He should have expected it, given they now occupied Hyrule, and he felt foolish for not considering it.

Malon frowned as though she thought this should have been obvious, too. "Of course. They don't come into the ranch, though..." Malon's gaze grew curious. "Are you hiding from them?"

"What?" Link said, startled. "No, of course not."

His words were a fraction too quick; it seemed there was very little he could hide from Malon.

"Hmm..." Malon regarded him, her eyes moving from him to his belongings and back again. "You are hiding, aren't you?" As Link started to voice a protest, she managed a small smile. "You needn't worry. We're quite safe here."

Malon wiped her hands on a towel and tidied her herbs and vials.

"What happened to most of your animals?" Link asked, desperately trying to keep the silence from dragging on.

"We've moved most of our livestock to Kakariko because the pastures are dying. Ingo has sold most of the horses, and as I said, most of the farms are abandoned," Malon explained, her expression souring.

Link's heart ached for Malon. He desperately wanted to remember the girl who'd laughed at the silliest things and who found nearly everything funny. The one who'd tried to teach him Hylian and chuckled at his stupid mistakes. The same girl who'd worked so hard to make him forget how homesick he was. He wanted to hold Malon but didn't want to make her uncomfortable either.

He placed a comforting hand on Malon's shoulder. She clasped his hand and turned around, her eyes staring into his. Navi looked torn between an expression of sympathy and a look of amusement. Link felt the heat rising in his cheeks, thankful the night hid his reddening ears. Suddenly, he found himself wishing there was more air in the stables.

After staring at the pair of them, Navi went to get some fresh air, complaining that the smell of horse manure was making her dizzy. It was an obvious lie; she had never complained when Link slept in the stables.

"What was I thinking, fairy boy?" she sighed, leaning back against the stall and letting go of Link. "Once Epona and the rest of our animals are sold, there'll be nothing left for me here, apart from the inn."

"The inn?" Link asked.

"The Gerudo do appreciate a good singer," Malon explained, her expression wistful. "I'd invite you to come and watch, but I doubt that would be a good idea."

"Probably not," Link agreed, not quite looking Malon in the eyes. A part of him was feeling horribly flustered, and he didn't know why. He wanted to tell her a dozen things, but the words just wouldn't form in his mouth. At the mention of Epona, he finally unstuck his tongue. "What do you mean Epona is being sold?"

"Ingo's selling her. I told you he's already sold the other horses," Malon sighed heavily. Then she shook her head and gave a shuddering laugh. "My mother would think I was being such a child right now. I'm sorry... here you are, looking for help, and all I do is dump my worries on you."

"I don't mind," Link assured her. "Really." For an instant, he considered running away with her, fleeing somewhere safe and...

No. Link knew it was a stupid idea. He'd be putting Malon in danger, and that was not something he would do. It was far better for her not to be associated with him. He was, for all intents and purposes, a fugitive. Ganondorf wanted him dead, and he would not balk at the idea of harming Malon to get to him.

Epona whinnied with concern at the sight of her distressed friend. Malon quickly unfolded herself from Link's embrace, straightened, and walked over to her horse.

"It's all right, girl," she said, running her fingers through the horse's mane.

"Can I buy Epona?" Link asked, desperate to distract Malon from her misery. "I need a horse, and with Blaze injured, I won't get where I need to go in time."

"Unless you have over a thousand rupees, Ingo won't let you take her."

Link's jaw went slack. "A thousand rupees?"

"That's a bit more than the offer on Epona," said Malon. "Enough to get his interest. Do you have that much?"

"Well... yeah." He had enough to buy provisions, but a thousand rupees? If he lost it all on a horse, he would have difficulty explaining himself to Impa.

"There is one thing," Malon said, her eyes brightening with sudden excitement as she glanced out the window. She was talking faster now, positively itching with excitement. "Ingo likes to race and is a bit of a gambler. He used to race in the Hylian Derby, or so Dad told me. If you can challenge him... Yes, that could work... Epona won't let anyone ride her. He won't suspect a thing. It's perfect."

Link gave her a dubious look, not sharing her optimism but simultaneously relieved to see that she was clearly brimming with excitement, her eyes once again alight with enthusiasm.

"Perfect if I don't fall off," he pointed out, unable to help himself and spoiling the moment.

"Well, yes," Malon's elation faded a little. "So, try not to lose, alright?"

Great. Impa was not going to be impressed the next time they met. Meanwhile, Malon seemed to take his dubious frown as an affirmation, or perhaps she hadn't noticed it.

"You might want to clean up first," she said. "Ingo won't want you anywhere near him in your state. No offence, fairy boy."

Link shrugged. "None taken."

"Well, in that case," and here Malon looked distinctly uncomfortable, her eyes straying to the door. Her smile wilted. "Before you go, there is one thing you should know."

"What is it?"

"The other night, I discovered Ingo has been putting healing potions in the horses' feed."

"I don't understand..." Link began before it finally dawned on him. By adding potion to their feed, Ingo could ensure the horses appeared to have more vitality than they really did. In doing so, Ingo could sell the horses for far more than they were worth.

"That dishonest piece of..." he couldn't quite finish, feeling outraged beyond words. He steeled himself, not wanting Navi to catch him swearing and then asked quietly, "Have you told anyone?"

"It's not like there's anyone else to tell except the Gerudo," Malon said, equally quiet. "And Ingo swore if I told anyone..." she trailed off, fear bright in her eyes.

"He threatened you?" Link asked, aghast.

She nodded, her eyes shining suddenly with unshed tears. "I think he's been doing it for a while now; I thought the horses' feed smelt a little odd, and when I questioned him about it, Ingo got angry. Then I caught him putting the potion in their feed... he was furious-" she flinched, the recollection no doubt unpleasant. That was when Link noticed the discolouration along one cheek, faded and barely discernable. Her hair nearly hid it from sight, and Link resisted the urge to reach out and touch the fading bruise. A slight discomfort in Malon's gaze told him she had no desire to recount the incident.

"He was really drunk, more than he normally gets," was all Malon would say, and Link could only dwell on this with simmering anger. "I doubt he remembers it."

"So," Link said slowly, trying not to let his eyes focus too long on Malon's injury, certain she wouldn't appreciate it. He relaxed his clenched jaw, suddenly aware it was aching. "You think that if I race him, he'll feed his horse a potion?"

"Yeah, if he can get away with it," Malon answered, "Which I can pretty much guarantee."

"Well," Link said slowly, thinking this over. "That just means we'll have to give Epona some and make the odds even."

"What... you want to cheat as well?" Malon asked. It was her turn to be aghast now.

"It's hardly cheating if I'm evening out the odds," Link pointed out.

"Technically, I suppose..." Malon said slowly and without enthusiasm.

Link looked at Blaze and then, "Why couldn't we give Blaze some?"

"The amount we'd need to heal his wounds is toxic to most animals," Malon said, chewing her lip and not looking in Blaze's direction. "I..." she faltered and drew a breath. "I don't know where Ingo keeps his potions, and I wouldn't dare go through his things."

"You won't have to," Link assured her, not completely oblivious to Malon's discomfort. "I have some... it won't do Epona any permanent harm, will it?"

"No. A horse can consume a small amount without any ill effects if it's properly diluted," Malon said reassuringly, straightening from the stall she'd been leaning on.

Di... what? Link frowned. "I... don't know what that is," he said slowly.

"I'll explain later," Malon said without any apparent judgment. "Navi can help us work that out; she'll know what I'm talking about. I will try putting the potion in a pail of water. Easier to clean away the smell."

Impa better not ever find out we did this, Link thought, not sure exactly where Malon was going with all this. If anything went wrong, and either Impa or her allies had to come searching for him, he'd really be in trouble.

~ 0 ~

Late that afternoon, dressed and refreshed from the previous day's misadventures, Link strode over to the corral to find Ingo tending to a horse. Link had briefed Navi on his and Malon's plan, including the bit about Ingo drugging the horses. Unease settled in his stomach as he approached Ingo. He knew just how wrong this plan could go. It also felt wrong to be cheating, no matter how much he told himself that he needed Epona. He had to get to Death Mountain. If he lost...

No, Link thought. I won't lose.

If only telling himself that enough times could've made him less nervous. He drew in a breath, put on a pleasant smile, and greeted Ingo with as much warmth as he could muster.

"Good morning, Ingo," he said brightly, hoping his voice wasn't a dead giveaway.

Link was left disappointed if he was expecting Ingo to be impressed.

"What are you still doing here?" Ingo barked, not bothering to look up from the horse he was grooming. "I can't let you stay here until your horse is better unless you're willing to work. Besides, I checked on your horse this morning. It'll be lucky to make it through the night."

"As I recall, that's what you said last night," Navi said flatly.

Ingo grunted, not even sparing Navi a glance. "Where did someone like you get that thing anyway?"

"It was given to me," Link replied casually.

Ingo snorted in disbelief. "More like stolen. It's a shame he's wounded. A horse like that would fetch a good price."

"He isn't for sale, but speaking of rupees, I hear you like to bet on horses," Link said. "Malon tells me you're a fair rider. Would you care for a race?"

Was that what I was supposed to say? he wondered.

Malon had instructed him on what to do, but he had trouble remembering what she'd said. Was he going too fast?

"Hmph!" Ingo sounded disdainful, but at least he didn't seem suspicious. "Malon put you up to this, huh?" Link almost winced, thinking his ruse had been discovered. "Last I checked, your horse is in no condition for a race." Ingo stepped a little closer, lowering his voice slightly as he smirked. "Of course, you could always try outrunning mine. I could use the laugh."

"Actually, I have one horse in mind," Link managed evenly, resisting the urge to take a step back as he caught a whiff of Ingo's breath. "Care to place a wager?"

Ingo looked Link up and down with a derisive snort. "Ha! You know what you're getting yourself into, boy?"

Link didn't move, though a part of him was beginning to feel like this was all a bad idea. He regarded Ingo with a flat stare, thinking his achievement might have made a Sheikah proud. Navi must have thought he was doing okay because she remained silent.

"You're not kidding, are you?" Ingo asked, smirking. "You honestly think you could pick one of my horses and outride me?"

"I think I could," Link said, sounding more confident than he felt. "It would be an honour to race such an esteemed horseman such as yourself."

I got that right, didn't I? he found himself wondering.

"We heard all about how you were once the champion of the Hylian Derby... wasn't that the grandest horse race in all of Hyrule?" Navi chimed in.

A smarter man than Ingo might have caught on to the deliberate flattery. Instead, the unpleasant rancher puffed his chest in obvious pride. "That it was," he said with a rueful smile. His gaze fixed squarely on Link, narrowing slightly. For a horrible moment, Link thought Ingo had caught on to their act, and his mouth went dry. "What would the stakes be exactly?"

Knowing how badly he needed a horse, Link managed not to swallow. Mustering what feigned bravado he could, the youth pointed toward the corral. "Epona. I'll ride her. If I win, I keep her; if not, you get a thousand rupees."

Ingo looked at him blankly, then stared at Epona, and then back again.

"What?" he barked, nearly knocking over the pitchfork still leaning against the fence. "Are you daft? First, you want to race me, and now you want Epona?" His eyes were nearly slits as he asked, "Do you even have a thousand rupees?" The man's menacing tone made Link want to stare at the man's boots rather than stare into his eyes.

Navi seemed to sense Link's growing discomfort, for she put herself between the pair and came nose-to-face with Ingo. "Are you calling us liars?" she demanded. "We can pay."

Link almost smiled, glad for Navi's defence, but he stopped himself.

"Fine," Ingo scoffed, chuckling. "You're a bloody fool if you think that's worth more than having enough food. I'll race you, but you better have your rupees ready to hand over, or I'll hand you over to the Gerudo. If you're lucky, you might have yourself a new girlfriend."

There was nothing friendly about his laugh, and Link was now feeling so uncomfortable that his face went red.

"We're not going to lose," Navi said fiercely.

"We'll see," Ingo said with a derisive snort. He turned around and barked Malon's name. She came scurrying around the corner of one of the buildings, a frown on her face. Her mood lifted when she saw Link, right before Ingo caught her attention.

"You girl! Get Epona ready," he ordered her before waving a hand at Link. "This idiot wants to race me. I'll see to my horse."

Link knew what that meant, and he almost forgot his earlier resolve to remain stoic. Almost. He took a deep breath, aware of the sweat beading on his forehead.

"He wants to race Epona?" Malon exclaimed in feigned bewilderment.

"His loss," Ingo shrugged, not noticing that Malon hadn't pulled off the most convincing attempt at sounding surprised or how her mouth twitched in apparent dismay. "We need the coin, though, so I'll take it."

"Alright, just give me a moment." Malon's sigh might have been one of relief as she begrudgingly went to prep Epona. Ingo followed her, nearly prompting Link to pursue them, but Navi hissed a warning.

"She'll be fine," Navi whispered. "I'll go make sure."

She zipped off, and Link was left standing alone for what felt like an oppressively long time. He was aware of winter's ever-present chill, aware of the tension in his muscles and just how quiet the ranch had become.

Ingo finally came out of the stable, causing Link to release a breath as he forced himself to relax, but it wasn't to last. Navi was close behind Ingo, who was leading his horse. She was keeping in the sunlight and near the stable roof as best she could to avoid getting spotted. For a brief heart-stopping moment, Ingo turned to pet his horse, and Link was sure their game was up. Navi took the opportunity to zip to Link's side, darting behind Ingo and not far from his horse. For an instant, Link feared the animal would startle, but it seemed more interested in inspecting a tuft of grass.

Before Link could say anything to Navi, Malon emerged from the stable, Epona in tow. She trudged up to Link, reins in hand. He caught the faintest whiff of healing potion on Epona's breath as he touched the mare. She didn't flinch or bite- a good sign.

"Are you racing me on foot, boy, or are you actually planning to get on?" Ingo asked with a short guffaw. A smarter man might have gotten suspicious then, noting that Epona seemed comfortable around Link and was not frisking. Ingo's greed, however, far surpassed his smarts.

Link mounted without difficulty. Epona showed no displeasure as the younger Hylian got in the saddle. Ingo did seem surprised to see Link sitting there, eyes narrowing ever so slightly.

"Hang on, let me just check..." Malon quickly trotted to Ingo's horse, giving the bridle a critical look, "Okay, it's fine."

"Something wrong?" Ingo asked, now suspicious. Link nearly clenched his teeth.

"No, just checking everything was secure," Malon's voice now sounded a fraction higher than normal.

"Of course, it bloody was," Ingo growled irritably. "You think I can't handle my own horse, woman?"

"Nope..." Malon said hurriedly. "Not at all."

"Get out of my way, then," Ingo snapped at her and on cue, Malon flinched and sprinted for the shelter of Epona and Link, leaving the irritable farmhand to lead his horse towards the starting line.

"He's done it," she whispered once she was close enough.

Understanding dawned on Link, and he just gave her the barest nod.

"Good luck." With that, Malon stepped to the side, rushing and nearly stumbling in her haste to get clear of the track. She didn't notice Ingo chuckle, but Link did.

"Twice around the corral," Ingo declared loudly. Keeping his face straight, Link nodded. Epona's ears twitched, and she shivered in anticipation. "Think you can stay on, boy?"

Link just stared, not amused by the man's jeering tone.

"Right," Ingo continued loudly. "On the count of three."

"One..." Link leaned forward, ready to spur Epona into a gallop.

"Two!" Without another word or even finishing the count, Ingo kicked his horse into a gallop, the horse reacting on instincts honed from years of training.

Link cursed quietly. He put his heels to Epona, urging her into a gallop. She sprang forward, joyous and swift, rising to the challenge of the race.

Malon hadn't been wrong. Epona was fast. Faster than Blaze even. She responded to the slightest touch of the reins and seemed to guess Link's thoughts as she caught up to Ingo's horse. Closer and closer. Hooves drumming against the withered earth.

Ingo looked back in stunned bewilderment as Epona gained on him, finally coming abreast of his horse. His expression turned to outrage as Epona approached his mount. Link tried not to risk losing all his teeth as he clenched his jaw.

"C'mon girl, c'mon," he urged, but Epona needed no guidance. She seemed to guess what the best course of action was, keeping in front of Ingo's horse just enough to make the animal slow. Her companion knew that running into her would leave them both maimed, and self-preservation kicked in, but Ingo didn't seem to care.

"That's impossible!" roared from somewhere behind Link.

Epona reached the line carved into the dirt, hooves drumming in graceful rhythm.

One lap.

As they passed the starting point, Link slipped. There was a rush of vertigo, and his stomach heaved in panic. He grappled at the saddle, instinct saving him as he latched on with a curse, the ground rushing by beneath him. Sucking in a breath, he shifted position, his heart racing faster than Epona's hooves. Epona instinctively slowed with Link's motion, but Link pressed her on. It was none too soon either, for Ingo took this opportunity to try and retake the lead.

Epona, without waiting for Link's input, tried to slow the other horse down again, but it was still getting closer, close enough for Link to hear the huffing of the animal's determined breaths.

As they came halfway around the corral again, Epona surging forward, gaining just that bit more speed, Link found the sensation of speeding along suddenly exhilarating. The cool wind blew against his face, and Link saw the finish line rushing towards him. The pounding of hooves and Ingo's loud bellows from behind told the boy that the rancher was trying to urge his horse to gallop faster, but it was to no avail. Swift might have been a fast horse, but he was no match for the spirited mare. Link pulled Epona to a halt, crossing the finish line and letting Epona slow to a walk, her sides heaving as Ingo came close behind.

Malon maintained her act by pulling off an exclamation of total disbelief.

"You did it!" she exclaimed, clapping in delight. "Well done!"

A purple-faced Ingo brought his horse to a standstill, coming alongside Epona. There was no mistaking the anger in his eyes. "I... I don't know what you did to that horse... What damned magic you used... you can't have her... you hear me? You can't!"

"A bet's a bet, Ingo," said Malon calmly from the side of the track.

"This was your doing, girl... You lost me my damned horse, you little bitch!" he snarled. "Your father won't only be minus a wife by the time I'm through with you. I don't know what you're playing at, but we needed that money!!"

Link recognized that threat. He looked from Malon, who was staring coldly at Ingo, fists clenching and unclenching. She looked on the verge of saying something, but Link swung off his mount before she could say anything, acting quickly now that Ingo was also dismounting, nearly falling over in the process.

Epona decided that this was the perfect opportunity to try and kick Ingo, but she missed, almost hitting Link instead, as he quickly tried to cut Ingo off. The rancher had taken a few steps towards Malon, but he spun around at the sound of footsteps. Recognising the expression on Link's face, he tried backing up towards the horses and the fence, but by then, it was too late. Link grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and slammed him into the corral fence.

"Don't... you... ever threaten Malon again!" Link snarled.

He heaved Ingo against the fence, a rage seizing him. It was unlike any he had experienced, except when he thought Saria had died, but something held him back. "I will be back to check on both of you," Link said, trying to keep his voice calm but menacing. "If I discover you have so much as laid a finger on her..."

He didn't finish; hurting Ingo intentionally was not something he could stomach. He could still recall the day he knocked Mido out, thinking for a horrible moment he had killed the boy. He would never forget how much he had regretted going that far.

Navi was staring at him, her eyes wide with shock. He felt a stab of guilt for scaring her but shoved the thought aside. He would apologise later. Link glanced down, not wanting Ingo to see his sudden uncertainty.

Meanwhile, Ingo was trembling with fear. "I'm sorry. Please don't hurt me!"

"Not a finger, you understand?" Link said slowly, drawing a breath and managing the most dangerous voice he could master. This time, he met the rancher's eyes, glad the rancher couldn't sense that he, too, was quavering for different reasons. "Understood?"

"Crystal," Ingo gasped.

Link dropped him like a poisonous toad. He wouldn't have been able to hold on any longer anyway. His limbs were trembling, shaking, and not just from rage.

"Good," he turned, letting out a breath and trying to ignore the sick feeling creeping up from his gut.

Navi was gawking at him.

"Are you going to be alright, Malon?" Link asked in a much milder tone. She gave a mute nod, just as dumbstruck as Navi. Malon gave herself a little shake and rubbed the back of her neck. "Umm, thanks... Shall we... go to the stables... I'll show you how to look after Epona's tack."

Link nodded, breathing deeply as he forced himself to calm down. Ingo seemed to have plucked up some courage as he finally opened his mouth. "I... I'll report you to the Gerudo! You're a horse thief! You hear me... a horse thief!" he stopped when Link spun around and shot him a death glare.

"Don't," Link managed, the strength draining from his voice.

However it sounded, Ingo seemed convinced Link might try something.

"Alright," Ingo said slowly, lowering his voice then. "I won't."

Link just watched as the man turned and stormed off towards the farmhouse. It seemed to take forever for Link to catch his breath, and it was only when they heard the farmhouse door slam that he thought it safe to move. His nerves were wrecked. Somewhere between the events preceding his arrival at the ranch and this encounter, they felt as if they were stretched beyond their limits. He let Epona nudge him, secretly grateful for the distraction.

"Tell me you were bluffing before, Link? You wouldn't actually hurt him, would you?" Navi asked in a hushed tone when they were out of earshot. "Right?"

Link lowered his voice, grabbing Epona's reins and leading her to the stable. "I wouldn't, but Ingo doesn't need to know that."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 77 62
This is basically a beta of my newest work, the Saviors of Hyrule, so you can read that on my Ao3 if you want better quality, storytelling, and less...
459K 15K 43
"You will aid the hero during his journey in defeating Calamity Ganon." That was the order that was given to you by goddess Hylia. Although the godde...
9.8K 294 26
"Princess!" he yelled after her. "Where are you going?" "Back to the castle," she replied without stopping. "Not by yourself you're not!" "I'm sorry...
271 0 39
Zelda had just started to become close with her knight before her kingdom fell to Calamity Ganon. Now, years later, she's found someone that embodie...