Living next door to an idiot

By beau_angel

(Book One of 'An Idiot' series) Meet Haley Valdez. The Good Girl. She's a straight A honours student with a s... More

1. I live next to you?
2. Would they fall for it?
3. Self control is important
5. Spending too much time with an idiot
6. This Is Not What It Looks Like
7. He's my what now?
8. In other words that was fantastic
9. Ending a good day with tears.
10. This cannot be happening
11. Today was a productive day . . .
12. Holy crap ...
13. Should I be scared or happy?
14. A party I will never forget
15. A game with a twist
16. What the heck is going on?
17. Too much for one day
18. Best day of my life...
19. Tables turn.
20. Hell would break loose tomorrow
21. Bad Luck Prone...
22. Teddy bear
23. Second disaster date
24. I'm looking forward to it.
25. Knock, Knock
26. Hidden from me.
27. Man behind
28. Hallucinations
29. Our little secret
30. Best behaviour
31. You guessed it
32. They're coming for us
Next chapter is out

4. Comfort is nice

13.4K 362 69
By beau_angel

Haley's POV

I jumped out of bed with the petrifying sound of none other than . . . lightning. I know you may probably think that, wow she's such a coward. But I have a perfect explanation as to why I was so scared.

You see when I was eight, I was playing outside hide and seek tag with Juli and my other best friend, Charlie (he left around the age of eleven and I had never seen or heard from him since, I never knew where he went). I hid behind a tree, when all of a sudden rain began to pour on us.

We kept playing though and soon after there was thunder scaring all the little kids away but us three stayed outside. We thought it was really cool and fun to stay outside and get a 'little' wet because believe or not we called ourselves 'rebels'. Then as I saw Charlie coming closer to me, I ran away to try and escape. He was chasing and then I saw a muddy puddle so I made him follow me there and I jumped over it but he didn't as he was too busy staring at me and therefore he dove face first into the puddle. Juli came out from behind a car and we both burst into laughter falling backwards into the puddle as well.

Before long, lightning came out of nowhere and I felt something zap me, something sizzle and cook me. Everything turned to completely silent instantly. I felt as though my body was on fire and every part of me was burning. I felt my body shaking abruptly and throwing itself around the backyard. The last thing I remember, was seeing Juli and Charlie ran towards me. Charlie lent his hand but I think I was paralyzed as I couldn't move let alone even try to speak and then just when I had thought I was gaining my senses back my body had a spasm before everything was blacked out and I had passed out.

After that I don't clearly remember what happened because I had passed out. Everyone told me I would've been dead if it weren't for Charlie saving my life. My sweet Charlie.

Juli told me he ran inside as fast as he could and told his and my parents who then called 911. He ran back out to me and revived me slightly with CPR to get my lungs working again (somehow we had learnt about it a week ago, in a safety class when the hospital had come over to teach us a few safety rules so talk about the irony).

When I woke up, I had realised I was in hospital and Charlie and Juli had told I had been unconscious for nearly two weeks and I had been in a small coma. The doctor had informed my parents that thankfully the lightning that had striked was a weak one but it did do a lot of damage to me, fortunately it wasn't permanent damage apart from getting a headache now and again but I guess that too was natural.

From the ages of eight to eleven, I suffered from short term memory loss and had slight difficulty mentally storing new information and accessing old information. I often found it very difficult to carry out more than one task at a time and I was easily distracted. My personality changed a little bit and I became easily irritated. I often complained of being easily fatigued to my mom and became exhausted after a few hours of work.

Although I slept excessively at first, after a few weeks found it difficult to sleep more than 2 to 3 hours at a time. Thankfully, all those effects from the lightning had gone and I was the same girl I had been before the lightning strike. My brain healed slowly from time and my personality went back to normal.

However, everytime lightning striked, I felt terrified remembering all the pain and suffering I had gone through when I was a child. Thunder boomed, mocking me and then lightning joined in flashing everywhere.

"Oh, god. Make it stop." I wept loudly. I hid myself under the duvet and cried until my eyes were sore and red. Suddenly, someone pulled the door wide open and ran inside.

"Haley!" A masculine voice shouted at me. I poked my head out from the duvet and looked at who it was and quickly hid back under the duvet.

"Dante, please go away." I cried, I didn't want him to see me crying like this. I had known Dante since the first day of high school and I had always shown him that I was a brave, strong girl that never cried. Now, he was seing me, the girl who never wept or showed any signs of weakness crying under her duvet . . . because of the lightning.

"No. I'm staying." He sat himself on the edge of my bed and sat an inch away from me. Of course, he was sitting on the duvet whereas I was sitting under. "Haley? Why you crying?"

"I'm not crying . . .," I lied, ". . . it's my allergic reaction." I heard his chuckle.

"Oh really?" He asked. "And what are you allergic to?"

"Urm . . ." I was stuck for an answer. Usually I had an answer for everything however, not this time.

"You're scared of the lightning admit it." He told me.

"Fine." I admitted. "A teeny weeny tiny bit."

"I can hear you crying from under your covers and I can hear your sniffing." He said like he was analysing me. I noticed the thunder and lightning had stopped and I quickly wiped my tears and came out from hiding.

"I was scared, alright." I explained. "Yes, the girl who always puts up a confident front was scared as something as stupid as lightning and thunder!"

"It's no big deal. It's okay to be scared." He commented.

"I know it's stupid . . ." Wait were my ears hearing correctly? ". . .wait . . . what?"

"It's ok to be scared of stuff from time to time. I mean, everyone has things they're scared of." He exclaimed.

"Why aren't you laughing at me? Or mocking me?" I asked confused.

"Because you're probably scared for a good reason. Plus I'm scared of something stupid too." He said looking down.

"Tell me." I elbowed him, and nudged him.

"Only if you tell me why you're so scared of lightning and thunder." He demanded. I sat there on my bed with my arms crossed on my chest.

"No fair."

"Totally." He winked. We sat there in complete and utter silence for almost half an hour. I felt extremely uncomfortable in this silence as I knew I couldn't take it any longer, my patience was terrible.

"Fine." I gave in. "When I was eight . . ."

* * * * * * * * * *

Another half an hour flew by as I told him what I thought was a tormenting childhood and all the hardships that I had done through to recover and get to where I was today. It's also partly the reason why that's why I tried so hard at school, to try and make sure I do my best in my studies so that I never fall behind in lessons and get bullied for being slow or not understanding something as simple as basic division. He sat there the whole time taking it in and listening very intently and seriously.

"I'm sorry to hear that, tesoro." He commented. I could see sympathy in his eyes for me but I looked away before tears escaped from my eyes again and I quickly changed the topic.

"Anyways, what are you scared of?" I asked.

"Oh, will you look at that!" He faked, looking at the clock on my wall above my bed stand. "It's two in the morning." He got up and tried to walk away so I grabbed the closest thing near me and chucked it at the back of his head.

"OW!" He yelled in pain as he touched the back of his head.

"She shoots, she scores!" I giggled.

"Why the f*ck did you throw a fricking alarm clock at my head.?" He asked.

"Shit." I cursed. "I am so sorry. I just grabbed the closest thing to me and . . ."

"It's fine." He replied. "I would have done the same thing."

"Thanks for understanding -wait . . . what?" I gasped. But before I could say anything else I jumped yet again as another round of the thunder and lightning returned for more ...to try and harass me and torture me.

"Make it stop." I whispered under my breath as I hid back under my duvet. Dante quickly walked back to me and sat on top of my bed before beginning to rub my back. Boy did that feel good, I mean it felt like he was helping me forget about my surrounding and just think of the pleasure of my back, I almost forgot about the lightning outside because I was being comforted and being cared for.

"Come out from hiding, baby bear." He told me politely and I think thunder disagreed as it boomed down at us yet again. "It's ok, the amazing Dante is here." I popped my head out and did my best to hold the tears back as a small smile appeared on my face because of his silly rhyme. Why did he have to see me like this?

"Dante, thanks for everything-"

"Shush." He interrupted me. "The following is to help comfort you and feel better."

"Huh?" I retorted. He slipped himself under my duvet sheets and his arms went under the duvet and slowly wrapped themselves around my waist. He pulled me closer towards himself and hugged me rather tightly but it felt nice. It didn't feel wrong because it felt like all my worries were going away. How was that possible?

"Dante, what are you doing?" I asked. Despite it feeling good that someone was here to look after me and make sure I wasn't panicking, I couldn't help but think that sooner or later we would both think that this was awkward. Despite his strong, muscular arms were warm and soothing it would still feel awkward soon.

"Don't worry, tesoro. I'm not going to make a move on you or have se. . ."

"Woah. Too much info." I exclaimed rather loudly. "Thanks. You know for comforting me while I cry from fear and . . ." I gulped and turned around to face him. "Shit!" I exclaimed when I turned around. His lips were literally an inch away from mine.

"Sorry." He chuckled as he moved back a bit. "Unless of course, you want to kiss me and-"

"I'm fine thanks." I said putting my finger on his lips to shut him up.

"Then close your eyes and sleep tesoro." He advised me.

"Fine." I muttered. I closed my eyes and took a deep breathe.

"Told you beds make special and unforgettable moments." Dante mumbled and just when I thought he too had fallen asleep I heard him whisper something in my ear: "I'm scared of spiders." A smile instantly appeared on my face and I was about to burst into laughter when I realised he thought I was probably sleeping.

*****************************************

"Haley!" My mom yelled from downstairs screaming at thee top of her lungs. I turned around and shoved my face deeper into my pillow. "Haley!"

Suddenly my door flung open . . . a new habit that everyone that came in this house had (opening my door without my permission).

"Haley, I have been screaming your name and WOAH!" My mom gasped. I opened my eyes to see my mom with a shocked expression on her face. Her face was directed at me but her eyes were looking at something else. I looked into her eyes and followed what she was looking at which was . . . DANTE!

HOLY CRAP!

I had totally forgotten he had fallen asleep next to me. My mom was staring at us in disbelief. I elbowed Dante in his ribs.

"Ow." He moaned quietly. He wouldn't budge so I pushed him off the bed until he fell on his butt and got up to look at me. "What was that for?" He asked angrily before noticing my mom standing at the door still looking like she saw a ghost.

"Morning Ms Valdez." He greeted her as if nothing was wrong.

"Did you two . . ." my mom spoke faintly, ". . . sleep with each other?"

"Yes." Dante replied smirking at me.

"NO!" I screamed looking at him with complete annoyance.

"What?" My mom gasped.

"Yes we slept together but not in the way you're thinking mom." I said turning scarlet red.

"You better explain yourself clearly young lady." My mom hissed through her teeth.

"Ma'am could I explain?" Dante asked and both my mom's and my head snapped in his direction.

"You have ten seconds to explain yourself, pretty boy." My mom growled really pissed off.

"Thank you." He nodded. "Last night there was a lot of thunder and lightning yesterday and Haley was really scared. She was crying and shaking and so I ran to her room and comforted her. I too went under her duvet and hugged her and comforted her to take her mind off things. Unfortunately I fell asleep when she did and forgot to go back to my room."

"Is what Dante saying here true, Haley?" My mom asked me looking at me.

"Yes mom." I replied. "You know how scared am I when . . . you know. Nothing happened between me and Dante."

"Dante and I." My mom corrected my grammar. "Well in that case, thank you Dante and Haley be more careful next time." She walked out from my room and went downstairs. "You kids better hurry up." My mom yelled from downstairs. "It's past eight, so guys have less than half an hour to get ready."

"Shit!" Both Dante and I cursed under our breathes.

"Later chika. See you in school and leave baby bear at home too." He joked. "Oh I forgot to tell you earlier before I fell asleep ... nice pjs." With that he ran downstairs to get dressed and ready in his own home.

I looked at myself before realising he was probably the ONLY guy (apart from Charlie) to have seen me in my pjs and that too my summer ones. I was literally wearing my pj shorts which just about covered my bum and my violet vest top which happened to have a clear outline of my bra. Had I known Dante would come into my room I would have never worn these, not in a million years. I probably looked like a hooker and no wonder my own mom got the wrong idea.

"Crap!" I muttered.

Dante's POV

I knocked on the door, not taking my hand away. It was a constant tap of KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK and you get the point.

"I'm coming, wait one second!" My dad shouted from inside impatiently. He opened the door and I barged inside running to my room.

"Sorry, dad." I yelled as I ran up the stairs. I kicked my door open and ran to my bathroom. I took all my clothes off and jumped inside the shower.

"Ah!" I moaned as I turned the water on.

"I'm late." I panicked as I furiously scrubbed myself and make sure I was pleasant and clean enough. I turned the water off and jumped back out grabbing my towel from the cabinet and drying myself and looking spotless. I didn't care that I was going to be late to school, I couldn't give a damn about my academics. It was coach I was scared of, as the Captain of our basketball team I had to be on time or else he deliberately would give me bin duty from four till seven for two weeks. Worst part was he would make me do that whilst sprinting at the same time.

"I even look good naked." I complimented myself as I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I ran back into my room and put on a pair of my black boxers and then opened my wardrobe and took my pair of blue ripped denim jean. I stuck one leg in and hopped to the other side of the room while at the same time trying to put my other leg in as well. I opened my drawer and took out a red polo t-shirt. I pulled it over myself and sprayed myself with my cologne before shoving my phone into my back pocket.

"I even smell good." I commented and chucked my body spray on my bed. I grabbed my keys off the top of my night stand and ran downstairs. "Later, dad." I shouted, but just as I reached the door I saw my dad standing infront of it with his arms crossed against his chest.

"Where are you going?" He asked me.

"School." I replied in a duh tone.

"So why did it take you only ten minutes to shower and get dressed?" He asked yet another question.

"Because I'm going to be late." I snapped.

"Whose house did you go to yesterday?" He asked. His constant blabbering made my head ache and hurt. I know he's my dad and I'm meant to respect him but how am I meant to respect him if he doesn't respect me or even try to respect me?

"It's none of your business dad." I muttered.

"So, I presume another girl." He hissed.

"Yeah. I slept with her, had tonnes of fun with her and made a special moment in her life too!" I snapped. My dad's mouth dropped in horror. Of course he had taken it the wrong way. I had to sleep with Haley as she was scared and terrified and me being nice to her and not mocking her was a special moment. The fun aspect was the fake part though, I don't think I will ever have fun with that girl.

"Get out!" My dad exclaimed loudly but in a calm voice.

"Gladly, your majesty." I bowed to him and he moved clenching his fists. I quickly ran out and unlocked my car. I dove inside and put the key in. I turned it and the engine coughed and spat.

"Damn it!" I said bashing the steering wheel. I tried again as I turned the key. Yet again it spat and coughed and the car shook and trembled. At the same time I saw Haley leave her house.

She was wearing a blue stripe sleeved, oversized, sports t-shirt with light wash skinny jeans which gave her an edgy sports vibe. She looked cute and rather sweet (unlike half of the girls in our school). She could wear anything and look pretty even if she was wearing no make up. Don't get me wrong, she's pretty but I don't see myself falling for her.

I opened my car door and yanked my key out closing the car door behind me and remembering to lock it.

"Hey, tesoro." I greeted her as I rested my arm on her shoulder.

"What do you want, spiderman?" She asked with a smile on her face.

"You heard me last night?" I asked my face turning beetroot red with complete embarrassment.

"Yeah, don't worry I know other little kids who are scared of spiders too." She mocked me.

"You would expect that someone would be nice considering someone else comforted them while they were crying." I retorted getting annoyed but still smiled so she wouldn't notice my emotions.

"Sorry, I thought we were back to our old routine. You know, I annoy you and you annoy me." She replied.

"Right, in that case. . ." I smirked and put my arm around her waist and pulled her against my chest. I slowly put both my arms around her waist and put my face closer to hers. "You like?" I could see her blushing and staring at my chest. Her knees were obviously weak and I could tell she liked this even if she was going to deny it in. . .3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .

"No, I do not like." She snapped pulling away from my grasp. She unlocked her Jaguar and got in. I stood outside her car door and leaned against it. Her window rolled down and she gave me a look. It was like a what do you want look?

"What do you want?" She asked.

"My beautiful camaro over there has unfortunately broken down so could you be willing to give me a ride in your jaguar?" I asked and winked at her.

"Why should I?" She asked me back.

"I have a feeling I'm going to have to pay you back." I shrugged my shoulders. "Call it a hunch." Technically she owed me for comforting her yesterday, but I was being a gentleman and I didn't want her to think she was alone and scared. Plus, I had given her a ride saying I owed her when in actual fact it should be the other way round.

"Just once." She sighed. "Don't get used to this."

"So . . . is that a yes?" I asked teasing her with a huge grin.

"Hop in quickly or I'll drive off." She threatened me. I walked around the car and opened the door and stuck my head inside.

"You wouldn't drive off." I grinned and jumped inside before shutting the door but truth be told she most likely would.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

185K 5.9K 35
'Life never ends in a happy ending. . . I don't know why I expected one.' Demi Alvaro is not one to be messed with. It's as simple as that. She's...
86.3K 1.2K 31
Enemies to lovers❤️ Imagine if your worst enemy would move in RIGHT NEXT TO YOUR HOUSE? This book about Grayson and Isabella will tell you how she ex...
24.2K 400 46
One word. Chaos. That's all Nico Valore had brought to my life since the moment I met him. Despite all the pain and heartache, if you asked me to do...
15.9K 1.3K 34
April has an attitude, but Nico thinks it's pretty sexy. The problem is, she hates his guts. The other problem is, she can't quite get rid of him. If...