Living next door to an idiot

By beau_angel

(Book One of 'An Idiot' series) Meet Haley Valdez. The Good Girl. She's a straight A honours student with a s... More

1. I live next to you?
2. Would they fall for it?
4. Comfort is nice
5. Spending too much time with an idiot
6. This Is Not What It Looks Like
7. He's my what now?
8. In other words that was fantastic
9. Ending a good day with tears.
10. This cannot be happening
11. Today was a productive day . . .
12. Holy crap ...
13. Should I be scared or happy?
14. A party I will never forget
15. A game with a twist
16. What the heck is going on?
17. Too much for one day
18. Best day of my life...
19. Tables turn.
20. Hell would break loose tomorrow
21. Bad Luck Prone...
22. Teddy bear
23. Second disaster date
24. I'm looking forward to it.
25. Knock, Knock
26. Hidden from me.
27. Man behind
28. Hallucinations
29. Our little secret
30. Best behaviour
31. You guessed it
32. They're coming for us
Next chapter is out

3. Self control is important

15.3K 363 67
By beau_angel

Haley's POV

We stared at Juli and my mom, this seemed like we were staring at one another for years and years until Dante finally broke the silence.

"So, ma'am... do you believe us now?" He asked; he looked like he was about to burst into laughter but he still managed to pull off a serious looking face while I just stood next to him speechless and just realised that I just had an outburst in front of my mom and she wouldn't even realise that. The only thing I could do was stand there and grin like the Cheshire cat from Alice in Wonderland.

"Well . . ." My mom started of, ". . . the emotions being portrayed were very realistic and beautifully acted out but the lines could use some tweaking since they sounded something a flopped movie which had a terrible rating!" My mom has a tendency to either over exaggerate or to say the truth in a very blunt way.

Deep inside I was laughing to my death, I mean Dante and I just argued in front of her and shrugged it off pretending that was an act so my mom would not kill me for trying to jump out of a car. The rant told my mom what literally had just happened minutes ago and yet she didn't even realise . . . was my mom okay? Heck, this 'play' just explained what happened on the ride, how could she not realise? My mom could not have been that gullible, right? If she was why didn't I try being a sneaky child years ago.

"Thanks mom." I sarcastically commented holding back any laughter waiting to erupt from my mouth and earned a death stare from Dante telling me to shut up before my mother killed us both for being idiots.

"You kids go to sleep anytime soon, I can tell you both are pretty knackered. I'm going to sort things out a couple of things with Mr Carter then I'll be back." My mom explained. She kissed me on the forehead and shook Dante's hand and went inside to get her keys.

"HAHAHAHA!" Juli burst into laughter holding her stomach, I was glad she realised or else I would think I was surrondeded by idiots, no offence to my mom. Juli knew me inside and out and therefore she understood everything. Even this...

"What's so funny?" Dante asked obviously confused thinking that he had fooled everyone.

"Haley, I've known you since you were in diapers. You can't fool me." She continued laughing. "That was a shit play and you tell horrible lies. I know you too well. I know that the truth is that you both do actually despise one another. That and you were genuinely pissed off since out of everyone I know, I know that you hate him the most."

"Yeah, that is true." I admitted nodding my head.

"So, want to explain to me what really did happen?" She asked me moving her eyebrows up and down like the two freaky kids in the cadbury commercial. "Or does the play explain it to me, Haley."

"Basically . . ."

"Let's go to your room." She grabbed my wrist and literally dragged me upstairs.

"Cough, cough. Are you guys forgetting me?" Dante asked from the garage.

"No, how can someone forget your face." Juli retorted with a snappy tone trying to offend him.

"Why, thank you." Dante said accepting it as a compliment.

"You truly are an idiot." I giggled shaking my head with disbelief.

"How so?" He asked bedazzled as if his head was full of air- which it probably was.

"She meant, your face . . ." I gestured to his face, which right now was kind of cute with his two dimples showing off, his beautiful black hair slightly flopping to the side and his signature smirk . . . WOAH! I did not just say that! I began to shake my head violently before looking back at him. That's what I get for being too close to his face, it made you go crazy and in a good way.

I quickly shook my head again to remove any feelings that were trying to surface- if you would call this feelings- and tried to remember what I was saying but I had lost track because of the jerk opposite me.

"Is ugly." Juli finished for me. 

"Exactly what she said." I mocked, and ran upstairs to my room with Juli close behind and Dante walking behind us looking like he was up to something sneaky and as if he was planning revenge of some sort in his head. Sometimes, I did imagine what it was like in his head but then I would realise that I would be mentally traumatised and never to be sane again.

As I entered my room, I found it to be completely spotless so the maid or my mom must have cleaned it because there were no longer any books on the floor or clothes all over my bed. There weren't even food wrappings on my desk or a single sheet of paper laying everywhere. Must've been the maid, mom doesn't have time to clean THAT much of a mess.

"Wow, massive room. This is a big change from your previous house." Gasped Juli.

"Thanks, my mom gave the second biggest room to me and she's got the biggest. The guest room is the same size as my room though." I explained. "So technically I do not have the second biggest bedroom."

"Lucky, I have the smallest room and my bratty sister gets the largest just because she's the fuc. . ."

"Woah, hold your horses." I interrupted her. "No swearing, remember."

"Damn my new resolution of trying to be more. . ." she stopped and tried to think of the right words, ". . . less rude sounding."

"Really?" I laughed.

"Nice room." Said a husky deep voice behind us.

Both Juli and I turned around to see Dante leaning against my door frame eating an apple.

"I like the bed, many special and important events are made there." He flirted, ignoring Juli.

"Yeah, important events like whooping your ass." Juli retorted.

"Yeah, I know my ass is sexy. I can't help it if girls want to . . . you know . . . spank me from time to time." He chuckled.

"You vile creature!" Juli and I groaned in horror and disgust. "That is gross and disgusting."

"You can't help what people want." He winked at me and I made a gagging noise and pretended to puke. Both Juli and I stood there with our arms closed. Suddenly, Juli's phone rang so loud I think I jumped higher than my height and seeing how I could be extremely lazy from time to time that was a huge lifetime achievement.

"Idiot!" Dante laughed, holding his stomach. "You're such a chicken. I have a weirdo as my neighbour and science partner. I am going to need some serious luck to not die due to your idiocy."

"You can talk." I muttered.

"Sorry, I didn't hear that. Could you repeat that?" He smirked.

"Shut up and quit your arguing for one second. It's my mom." She glared at us waiting for us silence. When she received the silence she so desperately wanted she answered her phone and put it to her ear.

"Hi mom." She smiled greeting her mom. "Yeah, I'm just at Haley's house . . . yeah . . . no mom don't be like that . . . no it's too early . . .urgh mum . . . I'm not arguing back, I am simply replying to your questions." She argued with her mom over the phone.

"Oh god Juli." Dante moaned.

"Shut up!" I loud whispered. "Be quiet you idiot."

"Now that you said that so nicely... never." He whispered back. "Oh lord Juliet. You know that makes me feel. Juliet, your making me go-"

I ran to him and smacked the back of his head. "Shut up you idiot, you're making it sound like . . . ewh you perv. You're doing that on purpose."

Suddenly, before I have time to even react Dante put one of his hands around my waist while the other snaked its' way around my neck. He made me lean backwards so the only thing supporting me from not falling was him and right now I hated that because I did not want to drop on my bum and end up with bruises.

"Juliet, you are so damn hot right now. I want to do several R rated things to you!" He shouted speaking to Juliet but talking to me. I could feel my cheeks burn up and I was there speechless and lost for words.

"No mom . . . that's just Haley's new dumb ass neighbour . . . no I am not in bed with . . . he came to say hi to her . . .mom. Oh my god, bye!" She seemed really pissed off and she hung up and shoved her phone in her back pocket.

"You twat will get my revenge. Wait and watch." With that she walked downstairs and put her shoes on. "Bye amigo and later dickweed."

"Bye Juli." I shouted back and slapped Dante's chest. It was chiseled with some accuracy because when I hit it my hand stung but I could tell had I not hit it so hard it would not have felt so hard.

"I see you're taking advantage and feeling me right now . . ." I quickly tickled his ribs knowing he was ticklish and he let go of me only to drop me on the floor.

"Ow!" I cried. "My butt hurts now!"

"Want me to rub?"

"No, just go away!" I screamed.

"Tesoro, calm down. You're going to stress and get grey hairs. I don't want my tesoro to turn old but stay hot and gorgeous just for me." He winked obviously trying to flirt.

"You think you're all that when you're just some kid that lives a life given by his dad. He gets what he wants via bribery and girls only want you for your looks. Nothing else! You're not special! You're low life scum and nastier than the shit the leaves your ass!" I roared at him before realising all the stupid things I said. "Oh my god-"

"You know what?" He asked me with a straight face.

"Dante, I didn't mean to . . ."

"You're right."

"No, trust me. I was never meant to . . ."

"Well at least the truth came out before I turned into an even bigger brat." He said clenching his jaw.

"Dante, I am so sorry. I didn't . . ."

"No, no. It's okay. I mean after all I'm just living a life given by my dad. I have only reached where am I because of him and I do get girls because of my looks not my personality. I'm not one bit special. Wow, Haley. You must be psychic because it seems like you know everything." He commented making me feel guilt which was slowly building up. I could feel a massive lump in my throat which wouldn't be swallowed and so I felt like I was slowly being strangled.

"Dante, please let me explain." I said and grabbed his wrist.

"There's nothing left to explain. You just did a few minutes back, right?" He asked me staring into my eyes.

"Dante, I was just slightly annoyed and I said something really stupi . ."

"It's fine. Don't apologise. I'm sure no one cares about me anyways. I mean you hate me so why do you even care?" With that he left my room closing the door behind me. I could hear his footsteps and I could tell he was walking to the guest room.

"What have I done?" I asked myself.

I know what I said, all of it, was all BULLSHIT. Dante wanted a life lead by himself but it was his dad who was forcing him a chosen life. Dante got girls because of his looks but that's because no one gave a piece about his personality. And in one way or another, everyone is special and as much as it killed me to say this . . . Dante included.

I just said everything to Dante that he probably never wanted to hear, I said to him what made his brain stir. I was surprised he didn't lash out on me. I sank to my knees and curled up into a ball.

"I'm so stupid." I snapped at myself. Yes, he was a jerk. Yes, he said inappropriate things at bad times. Yes, he annoyed the living daylight out of me. Yes, he was full of him self. Yes, he an idiot. But . . .

He did not need what I just said. He definitely didn't need a b*tch telling him a complete lie... well partial lie. He must have a good side to him too, everyone does. He definitely didn't me saying bullsh*t to him. I felt . . . I felt like a complete and utter b*tch!

Hours passed and I was still curled up on my floor. I was leaning back against my door, thinking of how to make up for it. I told him to come here to try and get away from his dad (even though he was next door). And what did I end up doing?

Hurting his feelings . . . big time!

You know what, I have to go apologise to him. I know he can be a huge idiot but that was still no way to treat someone regardless of how much I disliked him because he had never gone that far to say hurtful words like that to me. I got up and made myself look presentable. I opened my door and walked out. Slowly, I walked down the corridor until I reached the guest room. There was no noise coming out from the room and the door was shut.

Knock, Knock.

I tapped on the door but no one replied. I guess he was really pissed off, I mean who wouldn't be?

I let out a deep breathe before I slowly turned the door handle and let myself in. As I looked straight ahead I saw him laying on the guest bed. Being extra careful, I walked up to him only to see his eyes closed and him sleeping quietly. I sat down on the other side of the bed on the edge.

"I know you're probably sleeping but if you aren't and you're trying to avoid me then please hear me out." I pleaded. Who was I kidding he was probably sleeping, but I had to get it off my chest. "Dante, let me explain myself. You are where you are because of yourself, whether that's good or bad only you are to judge yourself. I have no right of saying inappropriate things like that to you, I can tell you're not a big of a prick as I originally thought you were. I have seen you stand up to him. You do get girls because of your looks but that's good because it means you're attractive. Ignore the cheesiness but you are special."

I sat there for five minutes straight until I realised sitting here wouldn't do anything special to fix this up. As I got up I felt Dante turn under the bed sheets and so I quickly spun around just to see him shifting his position while he was sleeping. Damn it, I know we hate each other and all but maybe being friends wouldn't hurt. Maybe if we got along rather than bickering and acting like four year olds all the time we wouldn't say hurtful comments.

"Oh." I sighed and walked out and to my room.

I took off my clothes and hung them up in my closet. I took a violet vest top out from my drawer and pulled it over my head. Then, I took out my blue pj shorts and put them on. I walked over to my bed and slid under my duvet. I wrapped myself with the duvet and closed my eyes.

"God, let Dante hate me for anything but make him forgive me for my stupidity today. Don't get me wrong, I hate the jerk to my heart's content but I should not have said those words, not even to my enemy, which he is." I prayed and slowly drifted off to sleep.

Dante's POV.

I walked out her room and to the guest room I had spotted earlier. God, that really hurt. I never thought anyone could say anything that could effect my feelings but what Haley just said . . . that really pulled me down.

I guess she was right. Maybe I was living this life only because of my dad. Maybe girls did just fall for me because of my good looks. I don't know why but this hurt coming from her. I didn't even like her, I mean she was just a friend, maybe not even that. I guess the fact reality had finally hit me with the truth, maybe that was why it hurt. At least she had the decency to tell me.

I took my shirt off and chucked it over at the chair near the study desk. I can't sleep if I have a top on, I find it annoying you see. I threw myself on the bed too just like I had thrown my top a minute ago.

"You think you're all that when you're just some kid that lives a life given by his dad. He gets what he wants via bribery and girls only want you for your looks. Nothing else! You're not special! You're low life scum and nastier than the shit the leaves your ass."

It kept repeating itself in my head. AH! My mates always said the worst things about Haley, about how she was a hideous nerd and how she was a piece of sh*t. But I always denied it and beat up whoever said anything offensive. The only person who could get away with it was Chris and that was because he did it to tease her and me, she could be nice and caring. Yeah, well I guess I know exactly how nice and caring she is now. You should always trust the ones who are close to you.

I kept rolling around on the bed until I finally decided to crawl in under the duvet.

You know what, forget this. I'm here to try and get away from my dad. I'll do exactly that. I didn't need a nobody spoiling my mood and making me feel glum, fuck that. She hates my guts anyways so what she said shouldn't have affected me, maybe I was just thinking about this way too much. I mean, her opinion means nothing to me.

Suddenly I saw the handle turn and I quickly shut my eyes. I knew for a fact that it was Haley as no one else was here in her house except for us two. I continued to clentch my eyes shut as I heard her footsteps get louder and louder so I knew she was coming closer and closer. She walked into the room and I could feel her presence infront of me. I could feel her going away but then I felt some sort of weight on the other side of the bed.

"I know you're probably sleeping but if you aren't and you're trying to avoid me then please hear me out." She pleaded to me. "Dante, let me explain myself. You are where you are because of yourself, whether that's good or bad only you are to judge yourself. I have no right of saying inappropriate things like that to you, I can tell you're not a big of a prick as I originally thought you were. I have seen you stand up to him. You do get girls because of your looks but that's good because it means you're attractive. Ignore the cheesiness but you are special."

I guess she was okay after all... slightly okay. I mean, maybe I was being a jerk and I had gone a bit over the top. Maybe I had tested her limits. Maybe I shouldn't have dropped her on the floor but didn't change the fact she was definitely a jerk too.

She was truly apologising for the spiteful words she had said. Haley Valdez! The only girl in the year who hated me and didn't fall for my charms was apologising . . . to me!

I opened my eyes to tell her it was fine and to forgive her but something wasn't letting me. I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out but my breathes. She sat there for around five minutes and then she got up ready to leave. I turned to face her and her head snapped in my direction but I quickly closed my eyes.

"Oh." She sighed falling for my deceit.

She walked out forgetting to close the door behind her.

"Damn it." I snapped at myself. I could hear rustling and the floor creaking, instead I ignored it and let my self drift off.

*********************

I woke up with a startle almost jumping out of bed and slamming onto the floor with my face. I sat up and looked at the clock on the wall that was hanging neatly above the door.

"Stupid lightening." I groaned throwing myself back into the head and covering my head with both the pillow and duvet. "Let me sleep, it's only one in the morning."

I must've been very tired because I only talked to objects if:

1) I am VERY tired

2) I am drunk.

God hates me along with everyone else. I have school tomorrow and it was very important because it was going to be my first day of revenge plotting against Haley and I would embarrass her but then again she would only get back at me.

All of the sudden the sky darkened as the lightning and thunder played Marco Polo in the misty air. The lightning howled Polo with the cracking of a tree and the thunder replied Marco as it rampaged the clouds looking frantically for its companion.

"For Fuc. . ." I was about to curse when lightening stroked again with a bright blinding flash. Then the thunder boomed causing the house to slightly tremble. However, at the same time I heard someone scream. I could hear crying from the other room. Haley...

I jumped off my bed and grabbed my shirt from the floor and as quick as the lightening outside I pulled it over my head. I yanked the door open and ran to her room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

518K 16.7K 54
Fire and Water. That's what they were. Together they were just whispers of what could have happened and what could have been. Running from a tragic p...
374 43 26
Shaylin Rose has not had the easiest of times growing up. Moving around non-stop, growing up without a dad and having an abusive ex-boyfriend at the...
14.2M 395K 52
FREE STORY WITH PAID BONUS CONTENT Dante Brown has met many challenges in his life, all of them crumbled beneath the ground he walked. He is arrogan...
1.5M 39.8K 47
Ella used to always be in the shadows shy, and lets people walk over her ,and treat her badly, but an incident happened which changed her , leavin...