A Little Change

By Hattrickswhat

Jessie is your typical college kid in Chicago, Illinois. She's working as many shifts possible just to make i... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Epilogue

Chapter 16

1.8K 31 4
By Hattrickswhat

~~~ Hope you enjoy this long chapter! :) ~~~

I had just gotten down to the diner when Jonny sent me a text.

4/28/14 17:53

I'll be there in a minute! Can't wait to see you :*

- Jonny

I smiled and quickly stuffed my phone into my bra. Yeah, I know... Bra? Well, I hate purses and this was the only alternative that I really had! I sighed and sat there looking at the door waiting for Jonny to come in in all his glory. I got really happy when I saw him walk up and open the door. When he came into the diner he looked at me and his amazing brown eyes instantly got wide raising his, eyebrows, "Jessie... Jess... You... You're... Wow... You're beautiful. You look amazing."

I took in Jonny's apparel. He had on Khakis, a blue and white plaid t-shirt and a navy blue blazer on. Fuck. He looked good, "You too Jonny. You look really nice and sharp!" I bit my lip and studied him even more. Ah, he's... God damn... Wow...

"Why thank you, Jessie... Now... Would you like to go to dinner," He asked held his hand out for me to take. I nodded and happily took his hand. Jon's hand was much larger than mine. And warm, don't forget warm. I think that's my favorite feature about him; he's always warm.

On the way out he happily held the door for me, "Thank you Jonny." He smiled and nodded as an answer.

"So Jess, Have you heard about any of your internships yet," Jonny questioned and grabbed my hand again as we walked to his car.

"No, honestly I haven't. I have a feeling that one of them will be at a hospital clinic. And the other one... I have no clue... I mean for all I know they could stick me at a front desk somewhere," I told him and let out a little laugh.

"They wouldn't do that to you Jess! They couldn't ruin your talent! You've spent many years in college! If you're going to have a job... it better be for exactly what you've gone to school for. It's what you deserve," Jonny exclaimed and swung the passenger door opened for me.

"Thank you, Jonny! You're such a gentleman," I told him sweetly and slid into the car before he slammed the door shut. I quickly slung the seat belt across my body, buckling it as Jonny slid into the driver's seat of the car.

He smiled over at me, putting on his seatbelt while mumbling, "Hey, is Italian good for you, Jess? Or would you like anything else?"

"Nah, Jonny, Italian is perfectly fine," I replied with a smile and then looked forward as he pulled out of his parking spot.

"Okay... So, first I really want to congratulate you," He started and reached to grab my hand, bringing it up to his mouth, "You're going to graduate! You're going to be able to do what you love."

I smiled at him and continued to hold his hand as the two of us sat there in a comfortable silence while he drove. I didn't know what to say. I didn't know how to feel. Is he just being a really good friend? Did that kiss even really mean anything to him?

"I-I uh... Thank you Jonny. I'm still sorry about you guys losing last night," I informed and looked over at him.

He had a hard look on his face as he looked ahead at the road and he clearly tensed, "I... Ah... Yeah... It was hard... But, I can't dwell! In order to get ready for next season I can't dwell on what happened on the ice last night. I can't fix that now. So I guess... Yeah..."

"I'm sorry if I made you think about it again," I told him quietly and looked down at my lap, in embarrassment.

Jonny's hold on my hand got tighter, "Hey! Jess... No, when you're around... It doesn't matter. All I can do is concentrate on your beauty. Don't you ever think that you could make me be upset because of something you said."

"Oh... Okay... I'm sorry Jonny... I just... I never meant t-," I started but was cut off quickly.

"It's fine Jess... Can we just... Change the subject," He asked and looked me straight in the eyes once he had stopped at the stop light.

I nodded and replied, "On Friday I get fitted for my graduation cap and gown. I'm pretty excited to get this over with."

Jonny gave me a quick, warm smile before hitting the gas, "I'm so happy for you Jess! I'm really glad that you've been able to stick it through the six years of college or whatever is required now; especially without your parents. I've heard that a lot of people will just give up because what you majored is a hassle."

I nodded and replied, "Yeah... There were many times that I've thought of quitting. But honestly, the only thing that kept me for quitting was the talk my parents gave me before I ditched the farm. I wanted to prove them wrong. I have been and I will be in 20 days. I think I'll end up basically calling them and telling them to go screw themselves."

Jonny shook his head and kept his hand on mine, "Jess, don't do that. You may not like them... You may have lost respect for them... But they are your parents."

I sighed and gave him a look with a raised eyebrow, "It's just... I... No! They've given me so much trouble. I want and to leave them behind in the dust. And that is certainly what I'll be doing."

Jonny let out a sigh and then replied, "Alright..."

"I'm sorry... I just... They make me so damn frustrated and... Confused... And mad... And... I hate them. They began treating me like shit the moment I expressed the fact that I wanted to go the college and make a living out of something that wasn't farming," I told him with a slightly raised voice.

"Jess... stop being sorry. It's okay. I just... if you ever need a family... You've... got me and the guys. I can promise you that," Jonny replied with a slight smile playing on his face.

I nodded and threw Jonny a small smile, "Thank you Jon. It means a lot and... I need time to sit and think about what I've gotta do and what I want to do after I officially graduate."

"That's a pretty good plan! Now, I'll park and the two of us can go into the restaurant because I don't know about you... But I am starving," Jonny informed as he pulled into a parking spot.

I giggled and replied, "Of course you are, you big ol' hockey player! But... Now you're gonna need to cut down on the calorie intake... Cuz' then you're gonna get fat." I reached over and patted his flat, muscular abs.

He scoffed and looked at me with a mischievous grin on his face, "geeze Jess. I don't know if you're calling me fat already or if that was a compliment calling me thin..."

I smiled and him and unbuckled my seat belt, "That was a compliment and a warning that you shouldn't let your appetite get the best of your body!"

Jonny chuckled, "Well thanks for that pretty unenthusiastic warning, Jess! Now, wait and I'll be right around to help you out!" Jonathan quickly jumped out and ran over to my side swinging the door opened and holding a hand out for me to take.

I happily took his hand into mine and smiled up at him getting out of his car, "Thank you Jonathan."

"No problem, Jessie. You ready to go in now," He asked closing his car door before wrapping an arm around my waist and motioning towards the Italian restaurant- Spiaggia.

I've always walked past Spiaggia and wanted to go there, but I've never had the proper apparel let alone the money for it. Now, it's all happening, thanks to Jonathan.

"You know, I've always wanted to go here," I stated aloud as the two of us walked through the front door.

He smiled down at me and placed his arm around me again as the two of us walked up to the hostess, "Hello, I've got a reservation for a Bryan Sharp here at 6."

"Ah! Mr. Sharp, table for two, correct," The hostess asked with a bright fake smile playing on her face after she put a finger on a name written in the book.

Jonathan nodded and she pulled two menus from a pile before mumbling, "Alright! Right this way, please!"

The two of us followed the woman into the dining area and to a table with two place sets. Jon pulled a chair out for me and I happily sat down in it smiling up at him. He smiled back and sat down in his own chair.

"Your waiter will be right with you two," the hostess informed as she slid the menus in front of us.

I looked at Jon with a weird expression, "Why Bryan Sharp. I guess I get the Sharp but Bryan?"

"Eh... It's my middle name so I guess it's just what I do," he replied and shrugged his shoulders.

I giggled, "That's so you Jonny!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

744 65 22
When hockey and superheroes meet... Everyone's - My - favorite little blond Blackhawk is in trouble again. This time he's been kidnapped by a rogue g...
44.7K 632 33
Elizabeth didn't think much of the date. One night right? How many more blind dates was she going to be set up on by her bestfriend? But one date lea...
63.5K 875 58
Jonathan Toews has always known what he was going to do. He was going to be one of the best hockey players in the world and no one would stop him. By...
704K 10.4K 44
Christine Brown is a nurse living in downtown Chicago with her roommate Brianna. Her love life has been less than stellar, with many boys cheating, l...