Imperfectly Perfect

By Liya_Loves_1D

Nadia seemingly has a perfect life, a perfect job, and a perfect personality. She is highly imaginative and f... More

Introduction
Prologue
Chapter 1 - The first meeting
Chapter 2 - Who do I have in office?
Chapter 4 - Thank God for Liam
Chapter 5 - Unrequited is painful
Chapter 6 - Look at yourself first
Chapter 7 - Truth after six years
Chapter 8 - I was just trying to help
Chapter 9 - How could you do this?
Chapter 10 - Don't cross the limit
Chapter 11 - I am done with you
Chapter 12 - Friends? I guess
Chapter 13 - What did I just feel for you?
Chapter 14 - You were right, he's a liar
Chapter 15 - Long drive outside the city
Chapter 16 - With you, not him? Strange
Chapter 17 - Thanks for Everything
Chapter 18 - I hope you're okay
Chapter 19 - The first kiss
Chapter 20 - Why do you care so much?
Chapter 21 - Maybe, I like you
Chapter 22 - You make me so happy
Chapter 23 - You and I
Chapter 24 - Tell me about your family
Chapter 25 - I love you, I really do
Chapter 26 - I can't bear to lose you
Chapter 27 - Happy Birthday Liam
Chapter 28 - Always by your side
Chapter 29 - Baby, I'm all yours
Chapter 30 - Many, many happy returns of the day
Chapter 31 - You're my only one
Chapter 32 - Broken, numb and lost
Chapter 33 - Leaving everything behind
Chapter 34 - Goodbye
Epilogue
Final Author's Note

Chapter 3 - I like him, I hate you

66 3 0
By Liya_Loves_1D

[A.N: This chapter has some big similarities with my real life. Other than the name of Nadia's boss and colleagues, the names of the 'hot guy' and his boss and colleagues are REAL......... And the messages and everything are also REAL........ This is a big step for me, to share my personal life like an open book. But my intention is to share my feelings with you guys and preach some life lessons that I learnt.......that all girls should learn!

Happy reading!]

I hum a song on my own as I lock my apartment door. I don't know why, but something about the weather today is making me very happy. I drop the keys inside my bag and pull it tightly around my shoulder before turning on my heels to walk ahead.

On turning left as I reach Niall and Liam's apartment, I see them leaving their place as well. Liam locks the door as Niall stands behind him, fiddling with his mobile. He wears a white buttoned up shirt, sleeves rolled up to the elbows along with dark blue skinny jeans – much like mine, and black suede boots.

I break my gaze from him and pass them when Liam spots me.

"Hey, morning," he smiles.

"Morning," I smile back. "When does your office start?" I ask, settling the scarf around my head properly.

"10.30, yours?"

"A little before, 10," I answer. "Alright, see you later. Have a nice day, bye," I wave and walk down the stairs when I hear Niall call my name.

I stop, but don't turn around. Soon, I hear his footsteps approaching me. He turns me around, so I'm looking at him. Even before I land my eyes on his, I look up to see Liam bearing a strange smile. If I'm guessing right then maybe he knows about Monday night and how Niall behaved rudely with me, and maybe he pushed his cousin to apologize to me, or just talk.

"Can I have a minute?" Niall asks.

"I'm listening, make it fast," I cross my arms before my chest and shift my eyes on the floor.

"Don't think I'm doing it because I feel bad," his voice hushes. "Liam wants me to apologize to you for what I said on Monday night."

I look at Liam and find him nodding his head. Only if he could know what his cousin is actually telling me in hushed tone.

"I'm sorry for my behavior on Monday night. I shouldn't have behaved that way with you," his voice comes back to normal just so Liam knows that he actually apologized to me.

I squint my eyes and shake my head. This is unbelievable. I can't waste any more minutes for someone who feels ashamed to apologize for his own mistakes.

"It's okay, Niall. You don't have to pretend. I'm sure Liam will understand that you're just apologizing to me because he wants you to," I lock my eyes with Liam whose face immediately falls and then at Niall again who is staring shocked at me.

I turn on my heels and walk down the remaining stairs to hit the street.

I clench my jaws and walk faster, trying to make it to the bus stop before Liam and Niall. I don't know how they go to office, in fact which company they work for and its location, but they don't have a vehicle and that only makes sense for them to take the bus.

On reaching the bus stop, as if on cue a bus arrives instantly and I board it. Thankfully, it is a tad less crowded than the rest of the days and I sigh for getting a place to sit.

Office has been pretty amazing since Monday. Not that anything even started with the hot guy, but I catch him staring at me with his hypnotizing looks all the time – when he comes near my workstation to get tea because the water purifier and tea are kept diagonally to my left, when he comes to talk to Santosh and the other guy whose name I've learnt to be Bhadrish; at the counter before us, when he comes inside the office after taking tea or lunch breaks, every time his eyes are on me. However, the best thing happened yesterday.

Venkatesh told Deepak, Diya and I that he'll give us the access to the door on Wednesday, but until the end of the day neither he nor anyone of us remembered that today is Wednesday and we are supposed to get the access. Kiran who I have learnt to be the owner of Winnow Analytics as well as the CEO of the IT Company where the hot guy works, is the only one who is entitled to give access to any newbies. When we were leaving, suddenly Deepak and I remembered about the access and we went back to Venkatesh to ask him about it.

"Sir?" I ask as he turns around to look at me. "You told that you'll give us access to the door today," I remind him.

"Oh, yeah," he recalls and nods his head before leaving his chair and looking around.

I understand he's searching for Kiran, but he's not here having left before lunch only. For some reason, Venkatesh spots the hot guy, minutely working on his laptop.

"Excuse me?" he calls him.

"Yes?" the guy rises to his feet, looking at Venkatesh.

My heartbeats accelerate as I realize for the trillionth time how sexy he is. He wears a dark black tee and dark brown pants that hug his legs. His dread locks are tied into a lose pony tail today and he stands with both of his hands sticking deep inside his pockets.

"Has Kiran left?" Venkatesh asks.

"Yeah, he has," he suddenly turns to look at me. "You want access to the door, right?" he asks me, a faint smirk adorning his lips.

My heartbeats stop for a few seconds before I slowly nod my head.

"Let me ask Santosh," he replies and screams Santosh's name. "Do you have access to the door?"

"I have, but I can't give to any new one," Santosh answers, a little irritated because he is busy playing games on his laptop.

"Sorry, then you've to wait until tomorrow when Kiran comes," the hot guy tells me.

"Okay," I smile.

"Okay," Venkatesh says.

"Okay," Deepak and Diya also say in unison.

The three of us turn around again to leave. I notice Venkatesh occupying his seat again, but the hot guy keeps standing there, his hands still in his pockets and his brown eyes still on me. I feel so weak in my knees that something from inside urges me to stay and talk to him, and keep talking to him. We keep looking at each other until I turn my head around to exit the office.

I reach office sharp at 10.00 Am today, and see Venkatesh already typing hard on his laptop. I barely take off my shades and scarf when I see Deepak coming in, whisking his hair with a hand.

"Morning," he wishes me.

"Morning," I smile. "Good morning, sir," I smile at Venkatesh.

"Where is Diya?" I ask Deepak because they both live quite close to each other.

Venkatesh overhears my question, so instead of Deepak he answers me. "She got another job in Bangalore Mirror. She isn't coming."

"Ohh," I gasp and look at Deepak who pouts at me.

We sit down and turn on our computers before commencing to look for story ideas. At around 11.00 Am when I'm totally focused on writing my first story of the day, I see the hot guy coming in. He wears the same clothes that he wore yesterday and although in normal situation that would've totally crept me out I somehow find it okay.

We meet our eyes and internally I ask him to wish me "Good morning," so I can wish him too, but he only stares at me with his killer eyes and goes to his counter.

I smile, biting my lower lip and tell myself to concentrate on work.

The rest of the day goes like any other day, the only difference being with each passing second I become obsessed with the hot guy. Quite around the time when end hours roll in, I witness everyone in their company arranging to sit for a meeting in their counter. Santosh fiddles with some papers and looks bewildered. He takes a deep breath and asks something to Bhadrish in their regional language, which I didn't even make an attempt to understand.

The next thing I observe is Bhadrish calling someone called "Stephen" really loud. And even before I can comprehend who it can be, I see the hot guy walking towards Bhadrish. I look away and fix my eyes on the computer screen. I was right, he's not an Indian, and his name is Stephen? My school's name was St. Stephen's, I can't believe the coincidence. I smile from ear to ear in my own thought before Deepak shakes me.

"Are you done?" he asks me.

"What's the time?" I ask, and look at the wall clock. "5.45....I guess, yeah, I've done three stories, you?"

"Six," he smiles proudly and I feel a bit jealous for being slower.

"Give me five minutes, I'll just arrange my things and use the washroom," I tell him and he nods obediently.

I turn off the computer and quickly arrange my things in the bag before rising to my feet to go to the washroom. I enter Stephen's counter and see him stretching his arms when his eyes fall on me. He smirks and I blush before jogging inside the washroom. I stand before the mirror and smile on my own. This is getting irresistible; I have to find a way to talk to him.

When Deepak and I leave, I catch Stephen busy talking to Kiran and his colleague about something. I look at him, internally asking him to look at me, so I can say "Bye", but he doesn't and I stroll forward, anyway.

Deepak drops me on his motorbike at the nearby bus stop and I get fidgety to board the bus. I decide to search Stephen on Facebook right after going home, and send him a friend request. A bus arrives soon, but it's super crowded, and I board it, regardless.

I reach home at around 7.00 Pm, thanks to the crazy traffic; 30 minutes distance took 45 minutes. As I open the gate of my apartment building, I internally pray to God that I don't bump into Niall. I'm very happy and excited, and the last thing I want right now is to have a conversation with him. I walk up the stairs and reach the second floor to witness their apartment locked. I sigh deeply and jog to my apartment, unlocking it quickly.

I don't waste time in getting changed and taking a shower before sitting with my laptop. I turn on the Wi-Fi and pull up the internet to log into my Facebook account. I find Stephen Winnow Analytics Bangalore on the search bar, but someone very ugly and old pops up on the screen. I cringe and sit still, realizing that something went wrong. Something clicks in my head and I google Winnow Analytics to find the company's LinkedIn account appear on the screen. I log into my LinkedIn account and scan their profile to see a familiar face on the employees' list.

"Steven Suting," I read as I open the hot guy's profile. He looks totally different from how he looks now and I scroll down to explore his academic qualifications. I sigh, learning that he graduated in 2011, which is just one year before me. This makes me only one or hardly two years older than me, great! I type his name on Facebook again and this time, I get it right and his picture appears on my screen. Although it's really small, showing him rock climbing; the dread locks and biceps make it easy for me to recognize him. I quickly send him a friend request and against my plan, message him a "Hey" as well on messenger. I decide that I won't talk to him in office, until he accepts my friend request and replies to me on messenger.

I turn off the Wi-Fi and the laptop as well and put the machine inside the bag in my room. I enter the kitchen, seeing through stuff and thinking what can be made for dinner. I decide to make pasta – something I always cook when I'm either very happy or very sad. I fetch vegetables from the refrigerator and commence to cut them while boiling the pasta on the cooking pot.

At around 10.00 Pm when I finish preparing my dinner, I come back to sit on the couch and turn the television on. I pull up the internet in my mobile and to my utmost surprise, receive a message from Steven on messenger.

"Hey," he replies.

I cover my mouth with both of my hands, and widen my eyes. I can't believe that he replied when I was ready to wait for at least a week for the conversational things to start.

I cross my legs on the couch and type, "Recognize me?" and send.

"Pardon me but I don't," he replies.

"Ahhmm.....I'm the girl who goes to the same office as you."

"Online journalist section?" he asks. As I type my answer, he replies again, "Oh well yes! It says that below your name."

"What says below my name?" I ask.

"Staff writer or report at Global Monitor," he replies.

"Oh yes, so you're an engineer, I guess?" I ask, anticipating what he might reply.

"I'm the office hobo," he replies and I laugh.

"Hahaha, on my first day you reminded me of my Scottish professor," I send.

"Could have been my dad, which college?" he asks. I feel happy at him showing interest in keeping the conversation going.

"IIJNM, you know?"

"Yeah, that's my dad."

I laugh, but struggle to understand the meaning of the message. "What?" I ask, helpless.

"Cheap thrills," he replies.

"How do you know Sayak Roy?" I ask, remembering that Sayak is our mutual friend on Facebook.

"Same college, you guys?"

"A little complicated. We went to the same Chemistry and Biology tuition back in ninth and tenth grades. Later, he turned out to be my ex bf's friend and I his ex gf's."

After I send him this message, I feel stupid because I myself don't see any point for him to extend the conversation.

"You a resident of this place?" he asks, and my face lights up again.

"What do you think? Am I?" I ask back.

"A Bong who moved here. Actually did college here and then did find job here," he replies, and I widen my eyes at the message.

"Wow, you're good," I say.

"Barely," he replies.

"Well, take the false credit then," I send. "Where are you from?" I ask, right away.

"What do you reckon?" he asks.

"Ahhmm....Kashmir? Don't laugh please, I just guessed."

"Close in that it's an extreme corner."

"Hints?" I ask.

"That was one."

"Okay....wait," I send and put a nail tip on my teeth, thinking of all close corner places of India.

"Extreme corner," he replies again, and I find his restlessness very amusing and fascinating.

"Punjab?" I send and snap at myself from inside.

"Silly," he replies.

"North east?"

"I'm such an obvious South Indian," he replies and I feel I lost all my interest in him.

"You're a South Indian? It's definitely not obvious because you don't look like South Indians," I say.

"Kidding, Shillong," he replies and I smile widely, remembering the time when I visited Shillong and absolutely fell in love with the place.

"See, I said North East," I send.

I wait for his reply for quite long, but he doesn't message anymore. My mobile informs that it's 11.00 Pm and I feel hungry. I stroll to the kitchen and serve pasta to myself before coming back to sit on the couch again. As I eat I flip through the channels, trying to settle on something decent when I spot "The Notebook" playing on Romedy Now. I get excited and start watching the movie, checking my mobile every once in a while.

At around 1.30 Am when the movie ends, I feel my eyes become heavy as lead. Steven hasn't replied yet now and I decide to go to bed. I type, "Hey, goodnight. See you tomorrow in office," and send to him before rising to my feet.

After I turn off the television and the lights and fan, I hear a mild knock on the door. I stop and try to listen minutely, confirming if it's really a knock or something else. When I get sure that it's a knock I walk ahead and open the door.

To my absolute shock and amaze, I find Niall standing before me in a white tee and gray sweatpants. His hair is a bit messy and eyes carry a dreary look, although are the same deep blue pair as I know them.

"What?" I furrow my brows and ask.

"Is this how you behave with your guests?" he smirks.

I roll my eyes and feel absolutely exhausted to deal with him right now. "What do you want?"

"Liam had a hard day in office, so he directly went to bed after coming home. And I hardly know things in our kitchen, so could you be a nice person that you claim you're and give me some coffee? I'm busy, doing office work."

I sigh at the first ever proper way he's talked to me since we met. And I don't know why, but that somehow makes me feel good.

"Wait here," I reply, and turn on my heels to enter the kitchen.

I turn on the lights and look inside the cabinets, finding it hard myself to remember where the coffee container is with my eyes battling to stay open. Finally, after I get it I go to the door and hand him the container.

"Please return to me tomorrow," I demand. "I drink a lot of coffee," I cover my mouth as I yawn.

"Don't worry, I won't take the only piece of happiness from your life," he chuckles.

"What the fuck is your problem, huh? I thought I just helped you," I point my index finger at him and almost scream.

"Ssshhh," he hushes me. "Everyone isn't nocturnal like us, Noddy. People are sleeping," he smirks again.

"What? My name is Nadia, okay?"

"C'mon, Noddy suits you better. Tiny and dated."

"Why are you so rude to me? What could I've possibly done to receive this kind of behavior?" I ask, tired of his tantrums.

"You watch a lot of emotional shit, Noddy. Goodnight," he turns around and starts walking.

"No thanks?" I throw my hands in the air.

"For what?" he looks surprised.

"For the coffee?" I widen my eyes.

"I thought you liked being nicer to people, so what's the need to get acknowledgement?" he shrugs.

I roll my eyes and huff, feeling extreme rage towards him. When I'm about to shut the door, he stops at his door and asks, "By the way, how come you're awake so late?"

I open my mouth to tell him the truth, but I remember Steven and think it's the best way to get back at Niall. He should know that I'm not boring and dated.

"I met a guy in office, he asked me out, so we were just chatting," I lie, and feel pretty bad about it.

However, when I see Niall's face drop I feel a certain sense of victory and happiness.

"I hope he makes it out alive after the date," he says, almost in an angry tone as if he meant it before walking away.

I scoff at his no-boundary rudeness towards me and grit my teeth. "I hate him, I hate him so much," I whisper under my breath as I slam the door behind me.

I go to bed, hoping and praying that Steven actually asks me out and our date turns out be great, so I can prove Niall so wrong that his arrogance burns in hell.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.1K 449 31
“What the hell are you doing?” I spat at Zayn. He just pulled away from her to look at me. “Get your hands away from my sister.” “Harry I’m so so...
32.7K 366 31
A difficult year leads Ella to make some choices in life she wouldnt usually make. She accepts a job she wouldnt never have thought about that leads...
144K 2.8K 48
"When you're young, everything feels like the end of the world. But it's not, it's just the beginning." We were ruined after I left her alone. She wa...
1.1M 40.8K 58
[✓] ∥ "What do you fear most?" At my childish question, she smiles and looks down. In all honesty, I thought we were going to have to stay there all...