SciFi Files

By sstrawberryco

This is a collection of short, eerie, and sometimes entertaining (we hope) scifi stories! From Anyly's societ... More

Repeat
The Times November 24, 2023 Issue: PAGE A2
Last Request
Little Giant
Daily Undertaking
You Might Want to See This.
Part 1 (High Tech): Michael's Boy
Part 2 (Damsel In Distress): Water Over the Bridge
Part 3 (Hapless Hero): Twin Knights Without Armour
Part 4 (The Sidekick): INTERMISSION
Part 5 (Special Agent): Eavesdropper
Part 6 (Torment): Not Caught
Funny Planet.

Conductor

138 16 2
By sstrawberryco

As a pianist, my favorite piece was always 4'33". The pure sound of silence. Often interrupted by coughs and questioning mutters.

The solar flare was perfect, as though orchestrated just for me. Wiping out everyone. Everything. The earth scorched to sand, the rivers dried dust in an instant. If there had been any scientists surviving they would have said it was the worst solar activity in the history of Earth.

Somehow, there was one survivor.

Me.

In the center of a city, miraculously unharmed. The sound of 4'33" blares in my ears. It is beautiful.

Then, a haunting piano melody spoiling the hot air. In another language, but recognizable. Looking for a way to put my days in order... A child sits by a radio, silently rocking.

Shutting the goddam door... More noise. More sound.

No. I am the only survivor. I am playing 4'33.

Destroy them, destroy the sound. A conductor of this piece of silence.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

129 7 12
A collection of Various short stories. They will make you wonder what a world can be. I hope you like my work. Leave a comment on what I should impr...
8 0 11
This is a short story I made about a year ago. It's not my best work but is one of my favorite sci-fi books so I thought I would share it with everyo...
61 4 10
Trapped in the middle of a cold war, Nikolai watches as his nation is slowly poisoned by nuclear fallout, desperate for a way out. Across the ocean...
397 204 50
A Collection of Funny Science Fiction Stories