A Bang and a Whimper

By ALorenaE

Loki reunites with Thor while fighting Thanos for the fate of the universe, little does he know just how much... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
41
42

40

560 26 38
By ALorenaE

It is Midsummer's Eve. The energy in the palace is electric. Loki cannot stop smiling. Thor laughs heartily with him and Fandral as they choose their garments for the evening's revels. Loki is nervous, and cannot decide on his clothing. Fandral lightly jests that if they left him to his own devices, he would still be indecisive at dawn- he may simply have to go naked. This earns him a swat on the arm.

The wedding is a secret. Volstagg has not even told his wife what awaits around the bonfire and he cannot stop smiling as he helps his children dress. Hogun and Sif prepare at her home. Jenna retrieves the final pieces of her own outfit and tries to get her grandfather excited about the bonfire. Odin still does not entirely understand the reason for this festival, but he is trying to be open to it. He thinks dressing up is pointless, but Jenna insists and he has much to make up to her, so he lets her take the lead on costuming him.

Thor is ready first- he wears a long velvet tunic, a cape of crimson trimmed in white fur, and a mask of gold, a crown on his head, an Arthur with an English lion on his chest. He is regal and amused at this play of the king hiding behind a costume of a king. Fandral has been digging in Thor's costume closet and discovers a glitzy black jacket, ruffled shirt, and silver snug leggings. There is a label on it- Jareth- along with a photograph of a man with painted eyes and teased hair, the horned mask rimmed in long, slender feathers to emulate the hair. He jests that he matches Loki's helmet.

"This Jareth was a spectacularly dressed fellow. Look at this delightfully frilly shirt! These magnificent snug trousers! And how did he do that to his hair?"

"As my wife described it, there was a magic to the 80s they called AquaNet. It came in a can and when one sprayed it on hair, the hair would do whatever one wished. She says it was likely also responsible for many headaches and possibly the destruction of the environment. She may have been facetious about that last bit, but I am not so certain."

"I regret we were not there to see it! We should have visited Midgard more often during this time they called the 80s."

"Verily. She describes it as a wondrous time of neon, leggings, leather, animal print stretchy fabric, and bad fashion decisions. And big hair."

"That sounds like delightful fun."

"I have some of her films. We should watch them some day. The one with this Jareth was one of her favourites."

"Again, delightful fun. When you are ready, we will take over the large dining hall and project them onto the wall."

"Brother, would you join us for a night of films and fantasy from Midgard?"

Loki stands over a pile of garments, picking through, still undecided, "Hmm? Oh, yes. I would. It would be fun."

"Good! When you have settled in with Sif, perhaps we will do such a thing. If we do it too soon, we will all be subjected to far too much of your adorable newlywed snuggling when the lights are out."

Loki briefly glares at him, "Oh come now, Thor, we are not like that now, why would be tomorrow?"

"You did not see Jane and I after we married. Fandral can attest, despite our time together before, we were intolerable."

"They were. It was so sickeningly sweet that we had to start charging for each kiss. I made a small fortune."

Loki chuckles, "I can assure you, we will be more subdued."

"No, Brother, you will not be. You are a romantic at heart. Mark my words, you will find yourself with eyes only for her for at least the first few months. And we will be happy for you. Though we may have to find the kiss jar and bring it to our gatherings."

"You had a jar?"

"Yes. Fandral made me deposit coins in it when we irritated him too much."

"And when, dear Fandral, will we have to bring the jar out for you?"

Fandral sighs, "I do not know. Some day, I hope. But not yet." There is a wistfulness to his voice.

"Oh? Is there a secret here that I do not know from my decades as Odin? What have I missed? Or would you rather not tell?"

"There is one. But we only meet once a year, the same as Hogun. And we keep ourselves hidden in the tangles of bodies. We are both open to experience many lovers, but our hearts rest with one another."

Loki does not push, though he has many other questions. Fandral is hardly vague about his other flirtations, so there must be a reason he leaves so much unsaid. Thor pats Fandral's shoulder.

"Perhaps some day then. When the time is right."

Fandral smiles at Loki, "Yes. When the time is right. If it ever is."

Loki nods and smiles back, then returns to shuffling through the clothing heap.

Jenna, meanwhile, dresses her grandfather, "This is going to be so much fun! There is a character from Mother's books- a wizard, great and powerful, who helps a brave, unlikely hero take a ring of great power through many dangers to be destroyed in the fires which forged it to prevent evil from destroying their world. He begins wearing grey, but fights a great beast to become a White Wizard, even more powerful than before. And yet while he can guide the heroes, only the young ringbearer can carry this relic and deliver it to Mount Doom."

"This sounds like quite the story. I was unaware Midgard had epics of this sort."

"Oh, it has many! You must read them- they are so different from the stories of Asgard. I think you would find you quite like them. There are magical creatures, heroic deeds, and even one who makes a great mistake and redeems himself by giving his life to protect the young unlikely hero. It is an adventure worth reading more than once." She hands him layers of white, the outermost long robes shimmering with white vines woven into the silk, "Here, put these on. I must run and get something from my Mother's room." She runs off.

Odin does as she asks and soon she returns with a small box and a long staff, "This is a replica of the one used in the film of the story. Mother had it made after she married Father." She hands it to Odin, the opens the box to reveal a fine silver cloak pin, "And this is also just like in the film and was also Mother's. Here, let me pin it where it goes." She fastens it over the clasp for the cloak near his throat, "There. Now. Mask."

It is silver, white vines tracing the cheeks. Simple, compared to some of the others in her father's closet. Once he has it on, she steps back.

"So, do I pass muster as your wizard?"

She claps and giggles, "Yes! Perfect!"

"Have you read this story with Loki? Will he recognise what I am dressed as?"

"We have, yes. It is our most recent story and how I got the idea. I am sure he will be thrilled to see you as Gandalf the White."

"This staff is finely crafted."

"Midgard has artisan carvers, too, Grandfather. Asgard is not the only realm that can work wood."

"This is apparent. The brooch is fine as well."

"That was made here. Father had it made for Mother."

While she runs off to retrieve her own garments, he thinks. Jenna has never shared Jane with him, except in stories. She has never brought him her books. She has never asked to have her life sung about in the ballads on their day for remembering the dead. She has never handed him anything that belonged to her and asked him to be careful with it. Or trusted him even to take hold of it for a few moments. He has also never asked to see the room she calls her mother's, even though Jane never lived in the palace. She talks about it often, though, and he is curious. But he has been working so hard to listen and only listen. It is not something that comes naturally. But Frigga's voice seems to often be in his ear, begging him to forgive, to try harder, and to embrace their boys as they are, not as he wishes them to be. So he does. His other option is to die alone.

He smiles to himself as she bounds back in the room, her arms bursting with fabric, the silks dragging on the floor behind her, "Thank you, girl."

"For?"

"Lending me your mother's pieces. They make my costume complete."

"You're welcome. Be careful not to lose them."

"Of course. Now, what do you have?"

She grins and spreads the pieces out on the dressing room couch, "Oh, just the most glorious thing ever!"

While Jenna shows her skirts to her grandfather, Loki dresses. He has found an intriguing battered brown leather three cornered hat that he particularly likes. Thor digs through the costumes and tosses him a shirt, vest, and full skirted jacket with wide cuffs and brass buttons that he says go to the same character.

"Fandral, which of us wore the Captain's costume?"

"The Captain? I think I did. I did not have the hair for it, though. The beads looked odd with my short locks." He holds up a string of beads with a coin on the end, "Oh yes, you will look fantastic with this in there."

"Remember that I am being married in this, please."

"The Captain is perfect for a wedding! Thor, did not Jane often quote him saying 'A wedding? I love weddings! Drinks all around!' when she was feeling festive?"

"That she did. She even said it at our own wedding. She was quite happy. And a bit drunk."

"There you go. The perfect outfit. Try on the jacket, at least. It has a fabulous swish. That skirt is a full circle. You need to get it on and give it a good spin."

Thor tugs on Loki's shirt, "Come now, get this off. See how it feels."

"Stop trying to undress me, Thor." He slaps his brother's hand away and removes his shirt. Fandral and Thor direct him, "I do know how to put on clothes."

"Yes, but the sash! There is only one good way to tie the sash!" Fandral exclaims, wrapping it around his waist as soon as he has his trousers on.

"And I will do your hair. Sit, Brother!" Loki slips the coat on and Fandral brushes it smooth as he buttons it.

"I cannot sit, your man is putting some sort of belt across my chest."

Thor's enthusiasm is big, bold, and possibly catching, given Fandral's eagerness to accessorize him, "That is to hold the Captain's effects- his sword, compass, and pistol."

"Just what story, exactly, are you dressing me in?"

Thor sits him down and begins brushing his hair, the strands of beads between his fingers, "A tale of adventure of the most high! A pirate- that is the Captain- enters port searching for a ship. He wishes to retrieve his old vessel, which is crewed by a cursed band of men who stole gold meant to pay for the conquest of a nation. They turn to skeletons and live half lives, unable to enjoy what they do or feel warmth of good company. The Captain, along with his newfound allies, must defeat them and reclaim the ship. And there is a second story, during which the man who takes those who died at sea to the other world stops his duties to seek vengeance upon the Captain who has tricked him out of a bargain. And a third story, during which the action comes to an epic head in a maelstrom, with loyalties tested and true love found. The fourth story had something to do with mermaids, and I do not remember the subsequent film. But Jane has it in her collection, and we will some day watch them together!"

Thor finishes braiding the beads into Loki's hair and hands him the three cornered hat, "Your hat, Brother."

Loki sets it carefully on his head as Fandral hands him a mask- simple, black, rimmed in red and gold, "The one covered in eyes is hardly befitting a bridegroom. This one will suit much better." The three men cluster around the mirror. "We look good, men. Very good."

"Good enough for a wedding?"

Thor claps Loki's shoulder, "Even better! The cut of that coat is most flattering on your slender frame, dear Brother."

They take care of the clothes they have left in heaps and leave the room to find Odin and Jenna.

Jenna has dressed with the help of her grandfather. Her bodice is black velvet, her skirts layers and layers of silk, each layer a different colour, green stockings on her legs. Her mask is gold, her hair piled, a sunburst around her braids.

When Thor, Loki, and Fandral meet them in the hallway, Thor beams, "My little flower child!"

"Flower girl- a suitable gown for a wedding." She hugs her father, then Fandral, and then she jumps into Loki's arms, giggling. He lifts her, twirls her around, and sets her down, "I'm just so happy for you, Uncle! This is the best Midsummer's Eve ever!" She skips to her grandfather, takes his hand, and skips ahead, tugging him behind her, "Come on! The others will be waiting at the gate. I want to see their costumes and it's almost dark!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

354K 11.1K 16
Having lost her sight during the New York attack, a young girl deals with living in a big city. Returning home one evening, she bumps into a stranger...
16.9K 555 29
After years of destroying cities, murdering, and searching for the stones, Thanos has only one stone left in mind: the space stone. When returning to...
25.3K 476 28
Loki has a daughter. But she's on earth and he killed 80 people two years ago. Thanos is coming and there is no escaping him. Unless Loki's daughter...
520 11 6
Thor finds Loki in the Sanctuary. There may be more secrets than either of them even dream of.