That I may Know HIM - A Devot...

By thePreacherDiary

God had said " This book of the law shall not depart out of your mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day a... More

Day 1: The Double Portion
Day 2: THE ENEMY AT THE HILL OF THE LORD
Day 3: MINISTERIAL LEPROSY
Day 5: A STRANGE SOUND IN GOOD SEASON
Day 6: PROPHETIC INVESTIGATIONS
Day 7: OPERATION ZIKLAG
Day 8: Invasion From the Past
Day 9: DARK AGES
Day 10: Breakfast Before Business
Day 11:When God called Samuel
Day 12: Could God Use this Man?
Day 13: Effective Sermons
Day 14: A REPROACH AT THE GATE
DAY 15: SONS OF NO CONSEQUENCE
Day 16: Horses and Riders
Day 17: POLITICS - The Parable of Abimelech
Day 18: Seduced To Lead
Day 19: THE SPIRIT OF PERVERSION
Day 20: DEALING WITH BLOODGUILT
Day 21: Revisiting Manasseh
Day 22: 1 out of 10, 000+
Day 23: And the Philistines Drew Near TO BATTLE
Day 24: The Prayer of Tears
Day 25 : An Appointment with Ramoth-Gilead
DAY 26: Write the Vision
Day 27: When Wives Meddle in Men's Matters
Day 28 :THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE LORD
Day 29: When Feasting is Unpardonable Sin
Day 30 : The Spirit of Sudan
Day 31: On the Spirit of Sudan
Day 32: Weapons against the Spirit of Sudan
Day 33: Responses to the Spirit of Sudan & Visions of the Future
Day 34 : THE NEXT AGENDA
Day 35: THE ONUS OF THE WATCHMAN
Day 36: BEWARE, THE GIBEONITES!
Day 37: Thrones
Day 38: Why Do The Righteous Suffer?
Day 39: REMEMBERED BY GOD
Day 40: PASHUR: The Mystery of Hidden Names
Day 41: Your Company and your Destiny
Day 42: Jehoram
Day 43: YOUR WORDS SHALL RETURN
Day 44: Mount Gilboa
Day 41: ANOTHER ALARM!

Day 4: MISSION UNACCOMPLISHED

624 0 0
By thePreacherDiary

Day 4: MISSION UNACCOMPLISHED

============================

1. Receiving and Fulfilling a Ministry

In Colossians 4:17, a message had to be sent to Archippus, to “Take heed” so as to “fulfill” the ministry he had already “received.” The matter was so weighty that it needed a great “heed.”

Receiving a ministry is one thing, but fulfilling that ministry is something else, which requires ‘taking heed’

Several persons celebrate the ministries they have received; but how many are fulfilling it? Several show evidence of a great call of God on their lives, but how many will actually fulfill it?

Paul, it appears, was stressing the same point when he announced in Acts 20:24:

But none of these things [trials and temptations] move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, [why?] so that I might FINISH my course [and do so] with joy, and [finish also] the ministry, which I RECEIVED of the Lord Jesus…

Finishing well takes determination; it involves risks and sacrifices. Paul knew that he had already “received” a “ministry.” That was not the issue. His concern was to finish, and to finish well, even at the cost of his own personal comfort, and if need be, even his life.

After receiving the call from the Master, Paul could have contented himself with being born again and settling down into a big office in his church. Then he would not have been fulfilling his ministry which he had already received, even though he may have been helping another to fulfil that one’s ministry.

On the other hand, Paul could have chosen to be a carpenter, a Christian carpenter, an anointed carpenter. After all, that was how Jesus Himself started. But becoming a carpenter, no matter how ‘anointed,’ rather than a preacher, would have meant that Paul was not fulfilling his ministry. Anointed carpentry may have been another’s call, not his.

When the disciples of Jesus started to return to their fishing nets to resume being fishers of fish rather than fishers of men, Jesus realized that they had set out on a dangerous course. He had to go at once to set them back on course (John 21). As disciples, they had actually started out well, fulfilling their ministry; but they were, at that point, in sudden danger of not finishing.

2. Starters and Finishers

To become a preacher when one has been called to be a farmer is to not fulfill one’s ministry. Yet to start the farming ‘ministry’ but give up only after a while, is to have begun fulfilling but not finish the ministry received.

Starting the ministry is one thing; finishing it is something else. Very few Bible characters breasted the tape, and were able to say, “It is finished.” The several others were merely good starters in the marathon that is our spiritual call.

Jesus was very aware of this matter of not merely starting but staying on to finish, when He announced that His interest was not merely to do but to finish the works which the Father had assigned to Him (John 4:34). At last He was able to declare to God, “I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do” (John 17:4), and also to announce to men and devils, “It is finished” (John 19:30).

Paul was another of the few in the Scripture who were able to finish their duty on earth, know that they had finished, and declare so. In 2 Timothy 4:7, Paul declares: “I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course…”

It takes a fight to be able to finish, and to finish well.

3. Office Hours

In John 9:4. Jesus makes a very fearful point.

I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.

Working or not working was not the issue that Jesus was addressing here. He said, “I must work.” Beyond His determination to work, however, Jesus knew that every work and every grace has a duration; every office has its own ‘office hours’ and closing time. He knew that there would come a time when, no matter the zeal to work, the Time Keeper would announce, “Time up!” because the “night” had come. When that time comes, it would not be considered whether the assignment had been finished or not; it would be time to go. In this respect, how long a person has been around, or how long that person has been labouring on the job would not be the indication of whether or not a work had been finished.

“How much” does not mean “How well.” “How long” does not necessarily translate as “Well done!”

Enoch lived for only 365 years at a time when people lived up to 900 years and more. Enoch’s age was only about a third of the average life-span at his time. In relative terms to our age when people have an average life-span of 70 years and more, Enoch would be said to have been only about 24 years old when he completed his assignment on earth and had to hand in his ‘papers’ in grand style.

He had a record that he “walked with God,” whereas the only legacy of his contemporaries was that they fathered “sons and daughters,” or lived record long years (Genesis 5).

It is recorded that Samson judged Israel for 20 long years (Judges 16:31). But did he finish his work? It is doubtful. His marching orders had been to “begin” the deliverance of Israel “out of the hands of the Philistines,” so that Israel would have land to possess, as God had promised them in that Promised Land (Judges 13:5). Unfortunately, he himself died at the hands of those same Philistines out of whose hands he had been ordained to deliver his people. Shortly after he had died, the tribe of Dan, where he had begun his ministry, where he had had his ministry headquarters (13:25), began to look for land to possess (18:1). Why would they seek a place to possess if Samson’s ministry had successfully taken care of that?

Samson worked hard and well. He achieved much. He was feared by the enemies. He judged his people for an impressive 20 years. But he did not finish his task. He was ruined prematurely in the house of a seductress and harlot on whose laps he had expired; his divine power shaved off and his eyes thereafter plucked out (16:4-31). The ‘night’ came for Samson, and he could work no more, although he was still strong and muscular. He had wasted 20 years chasing the Philistine baits that the enemy of his soul had laid in his path to distract him. The size of his might was no measure of his mission accomplished or not accomplished. Similarly, the size of your church or the scope of your ministerial trips is never a true measure of your accomplishments before Jehovah.

After roundly defeating King Ahab and his sorcerous team of 850 false prophets, Elijah was to proceed to confront the Queen Jezebel herself, who had been the matron and chief engineer of that wicked craft of idolatry in the land. Rather than obey his new orders, the prophet fled into the wilderness and began to submit to God his letter of resignation and retirement, as he prayed to die rather than confront Jezebel. At last God asked him to proceed on his way to anoint Elisha as his replacement, as if to say his wish had been granted (1 Kings 18-19).

The ‘night’ eventually came for him, and it was time to go. It did not matter then that the job was yet unfinished. It was time to go.

Do not merely be a starter. Be a finisher.

Of the two apocalyptic olive witnesses, we read in Revelation 11:7: “they FINISHED their testimony.…” They were not merely starters; they were accomplishers; finishers.

4. The Small Finishings Before the Big Finish

In Acts 21:7, Paul shows that there are preliminary little ‘finishings’ which amount to the final Finish. Before a person shall have ‘finished’ a University degree, that person would have had to finish several other minute and preliminary but consequential aspects of the University ‘call.’ That person must have ‘finished’ all the class tests and assignments, finished the class exams in the first, second and third years (depending on the course duration). No one can say that they have ‘finished’ a final University degree if they had failed (or had been unable to ‘finish’) the exams in any of the preliminary years from primary school.

In Acts 21:7, Paul states: “And when we had FINISHED our course from Tyre, we came to Ptolemais….” If he had never finished from Tyre, he could not have proceeded to Ptolemais; and if he never finished at Ptolemais, he could not have been able to say in 2 Timothy 4:7 on his ‘Graduation Day,’ “I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course.” The final ‘Finish’ was the cumulative of all the preliminary ‘finishings.’ Therefore, every one step counts in the overall assessment of the race. It is foolish to wait for one big bang of a mighty call to be finished, before one would have finished. How well one ‘finishes’ today in ‘Tyre’ would determine whether there should be a promotion to ‘Ptolemais,’ and whether there would be the ultimate proclamation of an assignment Accomplished.

The prophet Zechariah had to educate Zerubbabel the people’s leader, that if he expected to “finish” the project whose “foundation” his hands had laid, he was not to despise “the day of small things,” because those “small things” would amount to the ultimate big Finish (Zechariah 4:9,10).

If you focus so much on the big calls to mighty places that you despise humble Macedonian calls, it may point to a state of heart that may be more after people and places than after the Master’s will.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13K 4.9K 43
Misfortune. Easy to pronounce yet difficult to face. * *blurb* "In the dim light of her room, amidst a storm of emotions, she shatters her glasses...
6.9K 1.2K 154
This book is filled with biblical advice, tips, devotionals and encouraging messages to help you grow, flourish in your identity in Christ and build...
58.1K 6.8K 71
Two wives, one man. She thought she found the man to marry but what happens when she find out there's another wife in the house... *Fateema* *Khalil...
18 0 12
Once you read this book and the bible, just study it everyday and make it a piece of your soul and your everyday life. God says, to become great in h...