Sinful Cinderella (Dark Fairy...

By AnitaValle

I'm not who they think I am. A docile girl who meekly obeys her stepmother and stepsisters. Some kind of sic... More

Prologue
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30

Chapter 1

16.6K 864 162
By AnitaValle

Stepmother summons me to the sitting room.

She's tried to persuade me to call her Mother. Or Countess. Or even Elira, her given name. I persist with Stepmother. A reminder to her and to me of what she truly is: an object to be stepped on.

Once I have enough white magic, I'll crush her like a beetle beneath my heel. Crunch, crunch, crunch will go her bones.

I enter the sitting room which is mostly white. The lace curtains, the velvet furniture, the plush carpet. I think Stepmother chose white because it shows every speck of dirt so splendidly. There's always a spot for me to scrub out somewhere.

"Hello, my darling," Stepmother says. Though she treats me like a servant, she insists on calling me 'darling' like her daughters. Probably revenge for my calling her Stepmother. I promise you, I'm nobody's darling.

She holds a long sheet of parchment in her brittle fingers. The bottom of it curls upward and I notice the royal seal at the bottom. It's from the king.

"It seems," Stepmother says, "that the prince is giving a ball."

"Oh," I say, perfectly respectful. But really I want to say, so? The prince can't go a season without a ball or two. He's a party mongrel.

Stepmother taps the parchment with her finger. "This one is interesting. He has requested that all the unmarried young ladies of the kingdom attend."

"Unmarried?" My fingertips tingle. "Does that mean I may go too?"

Stepmother lifts her pigeon-gray eyes to me. Amused. Disdainful. She doesn't have to say a word.

Of course I'm not going.

"Now," she says, "my daughters will need gowns for this ball. New gowns, naturally. Something... striking... and sure to entice the prince." She smiles coldly at me. "You have three days."

My stomach pinches. "Three days?" To sew two ball gowns from scratch? Buying the cloth, selecting a design, cutting the pieces, sewing-sewing-sewing, and then the fittings, adjustments, revisions while my stepsisters fidget and fault-find. I need a month to make those gowns.

"In addition to your other chores, of course," Stepmother says.

I don't trust my voice so I merely nod.

Stepmother stands, rolling the parchment. "You should buy the cloth now before the best pieces are snatched up. Oh... and when you return, I notice there's a smudge of something on the arm of this couch." She smiles at me. "Don't forget it."

"Yes, Stepmother."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.1K 807 14
You've heard the story of Cinderella-- how she conquered the odds, danced at the ball, and married the prince. That's mostly accurate, except for th...
13.3K 480 18
The Evil Queen has been waiting for her revenge for way too long. So as word spreads that Snow White is about to have a daughter she makes a plan to...
17.4K 336 30
I'm just a girl trying to find a place in this world. After my parents died, life turned into a Cinderella story, but there was no prince that I kne...
204 18 9
This ain't any 'Once upon a time...' and ' ...happily ever after.' "What's the point in living in a world where you've lost your identity?!" This is...