Lost Love

By phoebegardens

They thought their love was infinite, but what if only one of them can remember their past? Imogen Howard has... More

Prologue: Where It All Began
1. Where It All Went Wrong
2. Unfamiliar Faces
3. You and Me
4. Old Messages
5. Back to Uni
7. Boy Talk
8. Wild Goose Chase
9. Guilty Feelings
10. Get Lucky
11. Boyfriend and Girlfriend Night
12. Friendzone
13. Get a Room
14. Flirtations
15. Out with The Boys
16. Trust Issues
17. Crumbling
18. The Blame Game
19. Walking Away
20. Cutting Ties
21. My Sweetheart
22. Crossing Fingers
23. Hit the Brakes
24. Becoming Official
25. Breaking the Heart
26. Space and Time
27. R&R
28. Conflict Resolution
29. Graduation - The Epilogue

6. Putty in My Hands

19.3K 522 43
By phoebegardens

‘When are you coming back?’ Eleanor asks as she makes herself a sandwich for school in the kitchen. It still freaks me out a little that not long ago I was sprawled out on the floor with a head injury and severe bruising. I think everyone else finds the room harder to be in than me seeing as I can’t remember the event. She’s dressed smartly in a black skirt and white shirt, with her blonde hair scraped back into a ponytail with a perfectly placed flower clip placed to the side of her head.

‘Tomorrow,’ I tell her, as I nibble on my toast. ‘I’ll go to my lessons today, stay there tonight and come back tomorrow.’

‘Really? You don’t want to stay there any longer?’ She queries, slipping her sandwich into a plastic box, before grabbing some more food from the cupboard.

I shake my head at the thought. ‘Not yet, no.’ I don’t go on as to why and I can see that she really wants me to elaborate more, but even with Eleanor, I’m still getting used to her being my sister. I watch as she heads out of the door, before she turns around and says, ‘Oh, Imms, this weekend, shall we have a girlie sleepover? You me, Daisy and Alice?’

‘Who is Alice?’ I ask, watching as she takes her phone out of her pocket.

‘Daisy’s younger sister.’

It then clicks that Daisy mentioned that’s how we met. ‘That’d be nice,’ I tell her, which satisfies her. She gives me a bright smile, before telling me to have fun back at uni.  

Following strict instructions written down by my Mum, I manage to navigate myself towards the right platform, waiting for the right incoming train to take me back to uni. I’ve got a small suitcase and a holdall seeing as all of my stuff is already in my room there. Still, I feel anxious. So many things could send me into a panic, first of them making sure I get on the right train and the correct carriage, as I’ve been told it divides half way.

Thankfully though, there’s someone wearing a network rail uniform who is more than happy to help me, even if he is overtly checking out my body. Once seated, I lay out a few things before getting my phone out and telling me Mum I’m safely on the train.

Ozzy said he’d meet me at the station and take me to my lesson and then take my stuff back for me, seeing as I’m pushing it a bit for the 12pm lecture. After a relatively calm train journey, as the train pulls in, I spot him, looking so handsome in a dark blue jumper and jeans and purple converses on. His hair is messy and sticking up at every angle and his rucksack is slung low on his back.

I drag the heavy suitcase out of the train with my holdall in the other hand and immediately, he spots me. Striding over to me, he gives me a one armed hug as he takes my bags.

‘Hey, how are you?’ He asks, with the underlying question being ‘do you remember me yet?’

‘I’m fine,’ I tell him, making that answer clear enough. ‘Will we get there in time?’

Glancing down at his watch, he says, ‘If you walk fast.’

By walk fast, Ozzy means practically run. By the time we reach the building, there’s still a mass of people waiting outside the lecture theatre. The awkwardness then ensues when I realise I don’t know anyone here, or at least people who know me don’t know that I am here.

I look to Ozzy, who is carrying both my bag and my suitcase as he looks through the mass of people and then tugs my hand to follow him. He then brings me in front of this tall, leggy blonde with big brown eyes and says, ‘Emma, have you seen Ford or Blake? I’m trying to find Immy’s friends.’

Emma, who casts her gaze down at me, pouts her pink lips and asks, ‘Immy, are you feeling better?’

I don’t know why, but her pouty voice makes me want scratch my ears out. I nod, looking around hopefully for someone to catch my eye and recognise me. Then, I spot Blake and quickly walk over to her. She beams and pulls me to her side and kissing my cheek.

‘You made it just in time. Where’s the boyfriend?’ She asks, searching around her peripheral vision.

I look over my shoulder, to see him still talking to Emma. He looks away from her and then signals to me, mouthing for me to call him when I’m finished. I give him a smile and he grins back at me and adds, ‘Love you.’

I feel my cheeks heat up as he says this and turn to follow Blake into the lecture hall. My first impression is wow this place is huge. Hundreds of students file into the hall and Blake grabs my hand, pulling me towards a row of seats. I sit down, awkwardly looking around at all of the unfamiliar faces, when a girl taps my arm. Turning to my right, I recognise this girl from some photos on the wall and who Blake was talking about when she came to visit me, so relax a little. I just need to know her name.

‘I’ve missed you, Imo!’ She coos, swishing her dark black hair over her shoulder and taking her phone out.

Blake then coughs and says, ‘Immy, that’s Beth and beside her is Rebecca. That’s all you need to know as we’re in the same tutor group too and you and Beth are in the same module group too.’

‘Who is Emma?’ I ask, nodding towards the girl Ozzy was talking to who is sat a few rows ahead of us.

‘She lives in the same flat at Ozzy.’

Curious, I ask, ‘Did I like her?’

I watch as Blake dates the top of her paper and then she shrugs at me. ‘You weren’t friends, no.’

I title the top of my paper and begin to focus on the lecture ahead of me, rather than Blake’s vague response. It’s weird, however, listening to a lecture about something I know nothing about, but I’m beyond interested and curious. I scribble notes down, forgetting my penmanship just to keep up with the pace, and not before long, we are all dismissed.

I follow the girls out, adjusting my top as I steadily walk down the stairs and spot Ozzy waiting outside for me. ‘What time is our next lesson?’ I ask Beth, who is busy typing on her phone.

‘In half an hour. We’ll take you there, don’t worry.’

‘How was it?’ Ozzy asks, coming up close to me, after weaving through the crowds. I don’t miss all the glances from girls around me looking in his direction, but nod.

‘It was really interesting, actually. We’ve got another lesson in half an hour. Do you have to be anywhere?’

‘Nah, not until later. I’ll walk with you, unless you want to just chat with the girls?’

I look at the three girls, my friends, waiting for me and decide it’s probably best I start getting to know them again. Ozzy doesn’t have to hear my answer to know what I’m going to say, apparently, as he gives me a brief hug and touches my back affectionately and says, ‘I’ll see you later.’

Blake grabs my hand and leads me through the mass of people to a canteen area, explaining that my class with Beth is just down the hall way. The three girls look at me expectantly, but I’m not sure how to begin. Beth must be the most confident as she asks inquisitively, ‘So what actually happened that made you lose your memory?’

Bluntness must be a trait of hers.

‘Apparently Ozzy and I were making brownies at 2am and I fell from the kitchen counter whilst trying to get something.’

All three girls wince as I say this so deadpan and send me a sympathetic look. ‘That must have been awful for Ozzy,’ Beth comments, and I shrug. I’ve not specifically talked about the accident to Ozzy. The stuff we have talked about has been rather safe and somewhat superficial. Maybe I should ask him about the accident? That also reminds me, my parents and the hospital wanted to set up some counselling support for me to come to terms with no memory seeing as it’s been over two weeks now. I think everyone thought it’d be back by now, but with each day, nothing has happened, so I need to go through the uni to get that support in place.

The girls begin to tell me main things about themselves to help me reacquaint myself, I suppose and I dorkily start writing key pieces of information down, which Rebecca awws at. Beth is the only one with a boyfriend I find out, whilst Blake and Rebecca are happily single. Rebecca and Beth also live in the halls above Ozzy too, which is how us four girls bonded.

‘What does your boyfriend study?’ I ask Beth as we leave Blake and Rebecca to go to our module lesson on fashion design.

‘He’s in the year above and is doing geography. I swear he just colours all day,’ she tells me with a wink. ‘Kidding, he’d kill me if I told you that.’

I smile at her as she says this. Her face is literally glowing as she speaks of him. I know I definitely don’t respond about Ozzy in the same way Beth does and that tugs at my heart. I feel a bit guilty I don’t feel that deep, loving Beth so clearly feels.

She directs me to our lesson and shows me to my seat, with the whole class practically enveloping me in a hug to welcome me back. I guess I wasn’t despised before the accident which is a bonus.

The lesson passes swiftly, and with the help of the campus map and neatly placed road signs, I manage to find my own way back to the flat where I live and get my keys out to ensure I am ready to open the doors as they face me. After opening three doors, I’ve finally made it to my room and I feel quite a sense of accomplishment making it back by myself.

Chucking my bag to the side of the bed, I look at the suitcase and holdall Ozzy dropped off earlier on. He’s even plugged in my laptop to charge. Sitting down at my desk, I open the window adjacent to it, hoping to get some fresh air circulating the room.

A knock at the door startles me out of my daze. Pulling the door open, I see Blake standing there with Gino. ‘How was your day, beautiful?’ Gino asks me in a strong accent, and strides in, sitting on my bed.  Blake takes the desk chair and I join them, deciding to sit on the bed.

‘It was good, quite interesting and also a bit daunting, but hopefully it’ll get easier.’

‘You’re a brave girl, Immy,’ Gino comments. ‘Have you remembered anything yet?’

I shake my head. ‘Nope. I’m just having to relearn everything, so you should tell me about yourself, Gino.’

‘That we can do,’ he tells me positively, before launching into retelling his whole life story and immediately, I can tell that Gino, Blake and myself were close before the accident. Three hours later and a lot of laughs that my cheeks are aching, Gino hauls himself up and insists he’ll make us a celebratory dinner. Blake stays put with me, us both lounging on my bed as I pick up my phone to see missed messages from Ozzy.

‘How did your lesson go? Everything okay? Xxx’

Blake obviously is reading the message at the same time as me and says, ‘He was so distraught after it happened, Immy. He called me up and just broke down, barely getting any words out but just that you were in hospital.’

Processing what she’s telling me, I respond.

‘It went really well. And yep, I found my own way back :) How was your afternoon? Xxx’

‘Blake?’ I question. She looks up at me and waits for me to continue, ‘What does xxx mean at the end of these messages? Ozzy puts them there...’ I trail off, hoping she understands me.  

She smirks at Gino, before saying, ‘They’re meant to be kisses, though to be honest I just stick them on the end of any text.’

Looking back at my phone, Ozzy’s next message pops up.

‘Yeah, good. I went to the gym and did a few lengths before grabbing a few things in town. Do you want me to come over? Xxx’

‘No, it’s okay. If I need you, I will ask, but I need to try and do it for myself for tonight. Is that okay? Xxx’

‘Of course, Immy. I know you can do it. xxx’

I put my phone aside and ask Blake about us during the first week we met last year. With great enthusiasm, she launches into the story about us just clicking instantly and crying on the first night together because we were homesick. I twist my lips as she says this and say, ‘I might feel homesick tonight. Even though I’m still remembering my family, being here is going to be so much harder.’

‘Understandable, Imo, but I’m here for you. I always will be. And if you want, get Ozzy around here too.’

I sigh as she says this. ‘But I want to try and do some things without him.’ I respond, slightly irritated that people seem to think I can’t function without Ozzy. I gently turn my head side to side so it doesn’t get stiff and rub my temples, feeling a gentle headache forming.

Blake nods at my response, but makes no comment as we go and join Gino in the kitchen. The rest of the flat turn up at 5pm, with Gino still mid flow at cooking us dinner. The twins sit opposite me and I blatantly try to work out who is who, but to no avail.

‘I need some sort of clue,’ I tell them, flicking my attention between both of them. Identical twins are just not fair.

‘Ford’s got a scar just by the side of his eyebrow,’ Rowland says, manhandling his brother’s face to show me. Delaney rolls her eyes and pulls Rowland away from Ford. ‘We’re going to the cinema if anyone wants to join us?’

‘Is this your date night?’ Ford asks them.

Rowland and Delaney nod, causing Ford to shake his head. The rest of us say they should just go alone and they soon leave, hand in hand.

‘I didn’t know they were together,’ I say to Blake and the two boys.

They all give me that sympathetic smile and nod. ‘Delaney and Rowland got together about a month after Freshers when they hooked up.’ My eyes widen as I hear this and Gino smirks at me.

‘Don’t worry, their rooms are at the other end of the hallway. Blake and Ford are next to you and neither of them get any action, so your ears are safe.’ Ford throws a tea towel at Gino, both of them laughing, whereas Blake shakes her head, murmuring ‘boys’ at me. I leave the three of them to go and freshen up for dinner and also to check on my phone.

I smile when I see a message from Daisy. Eleanor must have asked her about the girlie evening at the weekend.

‘Hey honey! I’m working during the day on Friday but I’ll be at yours at 6pm with goodies and girlie films :) How was uni today? Xxx’

‘I’m looking forward to it too. All Eleanor’s idea. It was good, really interesting so I’m pretty happy so far :) xxx’

Taking my phone back with me, I sit in the kitchen and see that Gino is plating up for the four of us. Blake pours us a glass of wine each, but I wrinkle my nose, unsure if I should be drinking it. The taste is not to my preference. Blake notices my expression and gets me a lemonade instead, without mentioning it.

‘Did I used to like alcohol?’ I ask her quietly, swigging back the lemonade to get rid of the bitter taste.

Her smirk tells me I wasn’t opposed to a few drinks or more.

After a really enjoyable evening, Blake and I head back to my bedroom to talk some more. Lying back on my bed, I exhale a sigh and look at Blake. ‘What’s up?’ She asks softly.

‘I guess it’s just sinking in that I’m at uni now.’ I purse my lips together and then laugh through some tears. ‘God, I’m being so emotional.’ I sit up, pulling my knees to my chest as I take in my room, surrounded by pictures from the past and items I don’t remember getting.

This is extremely frightening.

Blake shuffles a bit closer to me and encourages, ‘Imo, it’s alright. You just need to settle back in. No one can understand what you’re going through, so just take it at your own time and know we’re all here to support you.’ She wraps her arms around me and gives me a long hug, rubbing my back affectionately. ‘You’re going home tomorrow too,’ she tells me with a laugh, hoping to lighten the mood.

‘Do you think it’s a good idea?’

‘It might be hard if you come and go, but you need to do what you need to do. See how you feel in the morning.’ I nod and Blake brushes away my tears. ‘How about you get an early night?’

A few minutes later and I’m left alone in my room and it all feels very real and very scary again. I really, really don’t want to keep relying on Blake and also Ozzy, but right now, I just need someone who knows me a little better to make me feel that way.

‘Can you come over? Xxx’ I text Ozzy, deciding that Blake needs a break from me.

A few seconds later, he responds. ‘Yeah, sure. What’s up? Xxx’

‘I’m just a bit sad. Xxx’

‘I’ll be there soon. Make sure your door is open. Xxx’

A sense of calm comes over me, knowing he’s on his way over and suddenly I don’t feel so totally alone. Even though Blake is being great, there’s something about Ozzy which I need right now. I change into my nightwear, a pair of checked cotton shorts and an oversized t-shirt with Ozzy’s hoodie thrown on top and also begin to unpack my suitcase and holdall. Taking two hair bands, I put my hair up into a messy bun and go to brush my teeth when I hear the door open. I poke my head around the door and see Ozzy standing there in some grey joggers and a hoodie. I spit the toothpaste out of my mouth and place it on the side of the basin and walk out to him. Immediately, he engulfs me in a hug and I feel the tears begin to fall from my eyes.

‘I’m such a failure,’ I admit, clutching at his top, sniffling against him.

I can feel him shaking his head as he says, ‘It’s your first night at uni again, and it’s even harder because everyone knows you and you don’t know them. Don’t take it to heart.’

We pull away and Ozzy pouts at me. ‘You’re not pretty when you don’t smile.’ He pushes the stray hairs behind my ears and waits expectantly.

I pull a fake smile and he winks at me. ‘Attagirl. Now you’re smiling, do you want me to go?’

My eyebrows rise on their own accord. ‘What? You came all this way to make me smile and you’d just go back?’

‘If you want me to, then yeah. Whatever you want.’

I frown at this. ‘Ozzy, please don’t treat me like I’m a princess, treat me like your girlfriend. I need the real you to come through. Tell me what you want to do.’

‘This is the real me, Immy, you just haven’t met my other sides yet,’ he tells me with a mischievous grin.

‘Well I want to meet them.’

Well when I feel you can handle the banter, we’ll go there. Right now, we’re still on about two weeks into dating in your current mind. I’m taking this diversion as a sign you want me to stay, so get into bed and I’ll set your laptop up with a film.’

I follow his orders and sit in bed, wondering whether Ozzy will sit beside me or on the chair. As he fiddles with my laptop to put something good on, his top rises up a little, letting me see a bit of his lower back and the top of his pants. He looks pretty toned and quite tanned beneath his top. A few seconds later, Ozzy comes over to my bed and raises an eyebrow before asking, ‘Are you okay with me sitting in the same bed as you? I’ll promise not to turn the moves on,’ he teases, laughing as he pulls the cover over his body and shuffles in beside me.

This is the first time we’ve shared a bed together. I suddenly feel quite hot.

‘What moves did you pull on me when we first met?’ I ask him interestedly, hoping the darkness disguises my blushing cheeks.

‘Hip thrusts,’ he says deadpan, before smirking at me. ‘Nah, I just charmed my way talking to you. We met on the beach and I bought you a drink. I complimented you on looking so beautiful and made you laugh and smile like you’re doing now. You were basically putty in my hands.’

Now I know that wouldn’t be true. ‘I wouldn’t have given in that easily.’

‘Ah, but this was me we’re talking about. This memory thing could be quiet fun, actually, I can just add in these really cool or romantic things in,’ he teases with a wink.

‘Nooooo! You can’t!’ I exclaim, turning completely towards him.

‘You wouldn’t know either way,’ he laughs and I frown at him.

Ozzy, tell me the truth. It’s important. What got us talking?’

He leans back in bed, but makes sure he is looking at me as he says, ‘I wasn’t lying. Okay maybe the bit about putty in my hands, you were a bit harder to please and harder to drag away from Daisy, but we did meet on the beach, I bought you a drink, told you you were beautiful and we genuinely hit it off straight away. Both of us knew it was something different because we couldn’t stop talking and then you gave me your number and it went from there. We began dating after five days and spent the following months together travelling.’

‘Five days?’ I gasp. That quickly?

‘Five days,’ he repeats with a grin. ‘I was just that damn irresistible, Immy.’

‘Mm, I’ll have to ask Daisy if that was true,’ I challenge with a small smirk on my face, but I don’t say anything else; I don’t know what else to say about how quickly we got together, so I merely turn my head towards the laptop playing a film I’ve got no idea what it is about and sit in my thoughts, comforted that I have Ozzy here beside me for when I may need him.

A/N: Sorry for the delay, I've been a little unwell and suuuuuper busy, but ta daaaa! Hope you liked this chapter :) Do let me know what you think of it. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 321 61
With his tragic past, Alex has not had it easy. Now he's supposed to face his senior year in high school and graduate with relatively good grades. Bu...
12.9K 620 47
When Zora, Naya's long-term best friend and crush, starts showing an interest in her twin brother, Avi, she's forced to face her biggest fear. She wi...
4.8K 305 35
Having grown up surrounded by a loving family and the simple pleasures of nature, Ella's life was ideal. She loved her home and knew, even from a you...
128K 3.4K 26
-Sequel to Broken- Emily has finally come out of her coma. She made it through the hell she called high school and is on her way to college. When she...