Descent Into Darkness

By AkiraReggendorf

More

Descent Into Darkness

30 1 0
By AkiraReggendorf

"There is still no news on the five women that went missing on their camping and spelunking trip two weeks ago. The police think that foul play may be involved but they are not one hundred percent sure at this moment. We will keep you updated when we get more news." Click. "That was really annoying. Well, at least I know what happened to those girls. I know all too well what happened to them. Ha! Those poor innocent girls. Ptu. They had it coming to them. I remember their deaths. Each one worse than the last..."

"Hey Jade!" "Hey Katniss. How have you been?" God I hate this chick thought Jade. "I've been good, you?" What the hell is she doing here? God I hate her so much. "Do you know when the others are supposed get here" Jade questioned. "They're supposed to be here soon," replied Katniss. Great, I'm stuck with this...person until the others get here both women thought bitterly.

"Maria! Rose! Hurry up! We're late as it is. We should've been at Jade's house already" yelled Violet. "We're coming, we're coming just hold on. Geez" yelled Maria. "Do we have to go cave diving" whispered the soft spoken little Rose. "Yes we do. We have to go on this trip because it is gonna be fun. And it will help you be more outgoing." "But you all know I'm scared of small places and I hate the dark" protested Rose. "This adventure will help you get over your fears of those things. Plus, you will get to know the others better." "But the other scare me, especially Jade." Well, I'm here if you need me to help you. Did y'all get everything packed for the trip?" "We got the sleeping bags, some water, a knife, some flares and a lighter for the fire." "MARIA HURRY UP!!!!!" Rose winced at the loudness of Violet's voice. "I'm coming down. I was getting a few personal things." "What did you get," sighed Violet. " I'm bringing my nail polish and flute for when get back out of the cave and relax." "The flute sounds good, but why do you need your nail polish?" "So I can do my nails." "Ok then Maria, I guess you bring your nail polish with you BUT we are there to explore and have fun," Violet said. "I know," replied Maria. "Ok, I think we have everything packed ready to go. Lets move out" said Violet.

"They should be here by now. We agreed to meet at exactly 9 'o clock. Where are those three?" "They'll be here soon enough Jade, just wait." "I'm getting tired of waiting. We should've left by now" Jade said impatiantly. "Oh stop your complaining Jade," snapped Katniss. "Don't tell me what to do Katniss." "I'll say whatever I want to you Jade," challenged Katniss. Both women stand up to each other as they hear a car pull up. "We're here!" Violet, Maria, and Rose all see that Jade and Katniss are face to face staring at each other. Violet intervenes and gets in between both women. "Hey, hey, hey no fighting before during or after the trip, got it?" "Yeah, I here you" reples Katniss. Jade just stands there still staring at Katniss. "Jade!" "Yeah I here you, Violet." "Good, because the safety of every person here is dependent on everyone's ability to control there self. We don't need anyone getting hurt because of one's anger towards someone." "We don't need to to fight Jade, Katniss," peeped Rose. "Both of y'all are right" Jade and Katniss reply. "You two good now? "Yeah, we're good, but I'm still watching her," warned Katniss. "Good, watch your back in the caves Katniss" threatened Jade. "Jade. Stop." "Let's just go," Jade said.

"Maria..." "Yeah Rose?" "Can I see what your flute looks like?" "Oh, well not right now considering it's put up." "Oh, I forgot...," Rose said embarrassed. "It's ok. Do you know how to play the flute?"

"Not real good but I took some lessons when I was younger. My parents made me take lessons but I ended up liking the flute. It's a peaceful, relaxing instrument when you play certain songs." "Oh? What kind of songs?" "The Song of the Angels, the Song of Mourning. The Song of the Forest is my favorite one. Maybe I can teach you how to play it later." "That sounds really good Rose." "Thank you," Rose blushed. "Are we almost there yet?' "We'll be there in a few minutes Maria." "Can you put on some music please?" "Sure, what kind of music?" "Anything that isn't loud" said Rose. "HEAVY METAL BABY" yelled Jade. "How about some pop rock" suggested Maria. "What about regular rock," said Katniss. "Hmmm. That's a lot of different categories of music," said Violet puzzled as to what to choose out of the suggested types. "How about we forget the music. We're almost there anyway" "Fine," said the other four.

"Finally we're here," said Maria stretching. All the girls got out of the car stretching their arms and legs. "What are we going to do first?" "First, we need to set up camp and I'm sure we are all too tired to do anything else today," said Violet. "That sounds good to us," said all the other women in unison. "Get the tents and sleeping bags out so we can set up camp for the night." "Who's bunking with who?" "Good qusetion. Well, we don't have to decide this minute, do we? Let's just get everything set up first then set up a fire and relax for the night." The girls got everything out and started to set up the tents. Rose was helping Maria set up their tent when she felt something grab her shoulder from behind. "EEEEEK!!!!!!" "What's wrong? Is someone hurt?" "Oh my god that was too funny" Jade laughed uncontrolably. "It's easy scaring you Rose." Rose started to cry. "Hey, I didn't mean to scare you that much." "Jade that was really uncalled for. You didn't need to scare Rose. What did she do to you" Maria said angrilly. "Hey, I'm sorry for scaring you real bad Rose. I won't do it again. I promise." "It's fine, I just wasn't expecting something to get me even though we are in the woods and near the cave we are going to explore tomorrow." "Are you sure it's ok Rose? I mean I scared you real good and I feel bad about it now." "Yeah it's ok...," Rose said half smiling. "Ok then. Well I'm going to get busy on my personal tent," Jade said. "You're sleeping by yourself" exclaimed Rose. "Isn't that dangerous?" "There are a lot of dangerous things out here. I'm brave enough to sleep by myself." "I'm too scared to sleep by myself." "I know you are," Jade remarked immediately regretting saying that to Rose. Rose ran off. Damn it! Why did Rose have to be so easily hurt by everything anyone says?

Rose was hurt by Jade's words and actions. Jade was a very mean and cruel person. Rose ran for a while without realizing where she was going only thinking of how mean Jade was to her. She finally stopped and realised that she was near the cave they were going to explore the next day. She saw the cave and it brought back memories to her. Bad memories. Dark memories. Rose shook her head and shrugged it off. There is a ghost story of this cave and the woods thought Rose. If only everyone knew the real story of this cave and these woods. I know! I'll tell the story of the cave and woods at the campfire later but for now I got to find my way back to our camp.

"Hey, where's Rose? I haven't for a while. Is she ok?" "Jade scared her real bad and she was upset and ran off in the woods by herself" Maria told Violet. "She WHAT?" Damn it Jade, why did you have to scare her? It's dangerous out here at night and you made her run off into the woods?" "I didn't mean to scare her that bad and I didn't think she would run off. I"ll go find her myself." "No. We all will look for her. It'll get done faster if we're all looking for her." "That will be a better plan. Should we split up and look for her?" "We don't really know what animals are out here so we will go groups of two. Jade and Katniss will be in one group and me and Violet will be in another. I don't want to hear any complaining Jade or Katniss. We need to find Rose before she gets hurt or anything happens to her." "So you're the leader then Violet?" challenged Jade. "I am leader for now...unless you think you can do a better job Jade." Jade thought of how much she disliked Violet right now and how much she wanted her dead. "Then it's settled I'm leader." The women all started towards the woods.

"Ok, it's dark now and I have to find my way back to camp. I need to retrace my steps." A twig snaps. Rose jumps. "It's ok, there's nothing out there. It's just my imagination. There's no monster out there that's gonna get me. The sounds are just in my head." "Rose." Rose heard her name on the wind barely like a whisper. "Did someone just call my name? Hello? Is anyone there?" "Rose." Rose hears it louder. Rose walks a little faster "Hello? Is someone following me?" "Rose." This time she hears it clearly. "Jade? Are you out there? If you're trying to play some mean trick on you better st-stop right now and show yourself this moment." "Rose!" Rose hears her name yelled form behind her. Rose and looks back and sees a figure stumbling towards her. "ROSE!" Rose gets really terrified and starts running as fast as she can. "Rose, it's only me. It's Jade!" How does this thing know my and Jade's name? Does this thing know all of us? "Rose me, Violet, Katniss, and Maria have been looking for you for a while now." So the thing DOES know all of us, but how?

"Violet, do you think Rose is ok?" "I don't think she's ok. I know she's ok." "Rose where are you? Rose." "Where do you think she would have gone Violet?" "She probably got lost and is looking for some place to hide. You know she is scared of the dark." "Do you think she might have gone to the cave?" "I doubt she would go by herself." "I meant to hide from any animals or something." "That is a possiblity. Wanna go check?" "Sure, let's go see if she's there."

"Maybe I should make a B-line back to the cave and hide there for a while," thought Rose as she was running. She looked over her shoulder and didn't see anything following her anymore so she decided to slow down and turn around back in the direction of the cave. After walking for what semmed like forever, she finally found the cave. Rose heard a disembodied voive calling her name from within the cave and for some reason it sounded familar. "Rose, I need your help. It's me Jade and I hurt myself really bad. I think I might have broken my ankle." Should I go down in the cave by myself or should I stay out here? Is that really Jade and she's really hurt or is she just trying to play a trick on me? Deciding against her better judgement Rose decides to go in the cave to help Jade.

"Hey, Jade." "What Maria?" "Do you think she went to the cave?" "Doubt it but we can go check to see. We might need to bring some things like a flashlight, some rope and maybe a knife." "Why a knife?" "So I can stab you and no one would know. What the hell do you think? In case there is an animal that attacks us." "I want to hold the knife." "Why?" "So I know that you won't try anything crazy." "Me? Crazy? That offends me highly Maria. Would I really do something like that?" "That's the thing, I don't know if you would." "Well trust me I wouldn't waste my time killing you. We have everything we might need? We might need some flares for the cave and to signal the others." "Let's go, but I'm keeping my eyes on you in case you try anything." Jade loved the uneasiness in Maria's voice and fear in her eyes.

Rose slowly makes her makes her way into the entrance of the cave and slips and falls down a slope. Rose tries to get back up on her feet. "Ouch. I think I might have twisted my ankle." "Rose are you there? I'm farther in the cave and I need your help really bad." "Jade! I'm coming to help. Where are you exactly?" "I don't know exactly where I am, just hurry up." Rose was really scared of the dark and she felt the walls closing in but she knew she had to help her "friend" Jade. Rose waited for her eyes to adjust to the complete darkness. Finally able to see in the dark, she went deeper into the cave. As she went deeper she felt that the cave was getting smaller and smaller. "Hurry Rose I need your help." Rose felt the cave getting colder. As she went deeper she came to a small room with three different tunnels to choose from. "Rose I broke my ankle and I hit my arm on a rock and it's bleeding pretty bad." Jade's voice came from the middle tunnel so she followed it.

"Jade and Maria you two had the same idea too, huh?" "Yeah we did. You and Katniss ready to go into the cave?" "Yep." "Let's go then." The four women descended into the pitch black darkness of the cave. "Does anyone have a flashlight?" "Yeah, we do," replies Maria. "At least someone realised we probably need one. We forgot to bring one." "It's a good thing we did." "We have to hurry and find Rose."

Rose went farther and suddenly saw a bright flash of light and felt dizzy. "Rose are you still there? I'm feeling weak and I'm scared. I can't see straight." "I'm coming Jade! Don't be scared. You shouldn't be scared, I'm coming for you." "Please hurry!" All of sudden Rose started feeling weak and cold. "Rose, I can see you now." Where are you Jade? I can't see you." "You're almost there. Just a little farther." Rose felt very weak and fell to her knees crawling toward the direction of the voice. "Rose." Rose heard Jade's voice and looked up to see her except it wasn't her. The figure above her was just a shadow with Jade's voice. "I thought you were Jade," Rose said weakly. "Don't you know the story of this cave? All the people that have died here? No? That's too bad you don't. Well, now you can join all the other people that have died. No one will ever find you." The shadow laughed evilly. "Please don't kill me." "Oh? Give me a reason why I shouldn't kill you?" Rose hesitated. "No. I won't kill you. Instead, I have an idea for you."

Violet, Maria, Katniss, and Jade come to the room with three different tunnels and don't know which way to go. "Let's split up." "Is that a good idea?" "It doesn't matter if it is. All that matters is we find Rose. I have a bad feeling something isn't right." "I'll start a flare in this room and we will all go through a tunnel." Two of us have to through a tunnel and the other two will split." "Ok. Ok, we can do this." "Are you scared," Jade asked Maria with much amusement. "I'm not scared," replied Maria indignantly. "Then you can go by yourself."

The shadow figure disappears and Rose feels stronger. Much stronger. In fact, she doesn't feel like herself at all. Rose can hear the other women in the cave and she wants to find them. Rose starts running towards Maria's direction. She's a lot faster than before.

Maria is in the left tunnel by herself when she hears something stirring behind her. She looks over her shoulder but sees nothing so she continues. Jade hears a weird scraping noise on the rocks. "Jade? Are you there? I can hear you." Silence. She continues. Maria feels a sharp pain in her side. She turns around and sees someone standing right behind her. Maria jumps. "Jesus you scared me half to death." "Then maybe I can help with the other half." Maria gets hit in the head with a rock and falls to the ground. The figure gets closer revealing their face to Maria. "You! Why are you doing this?" "I have my reasons why." The figures strikes her in the head repeatedly with the rock and Maria screams. "One down, three to go."

Katniss hears Maria's screams from her tunnel and runs towards them. "MARIA!!! I'M COMING!!!" Katniss makes her back to the center room with the tunnels and goes down the left one. Katniss i9s running full speed when she trips and hits her head on the side of the wall. Dazed, she gets up to see what she tripped on. It's Maria's body sprawled on the ground with blood oozing out of her cracked open skull. "I think I'm going to be sick." "Does seeing someone dead make you uneasy Katniss?" "Who said that?" "It's me silly." "You! You killed her didn't you Jade? You hated her. I know you did." "Are you sure I'm Jade? You haven't even seen if it was." "Show yourself now." "Very well then." "You?!? How could you kill her? She did nothing to you." "I don't need to justify why I did it. I just felt like killing for a long time and this is the perfect opportunity." "You monster!" "That will be the last thing you ever say." Katniss grabs at her gut as she is speared in the stomach with a sharp stick. "Goodbye Katniss. Now only two more to go. I think I'll pay Violet a visit."

Violet hits a wall at the end of her tunnel and decides to head back when all of a sudden she is cornered by someone but she can't make out who it is. "Jade is that you? Aren't you supposed to be in a different tunnel or were you following me?" No response. "Hello?" "Hello Violet. How are you?" "I'm looking for Rose." "I know but you don't have to look for her anymore." "You mean one of the others found her?!?" "You can say that" chuckled the figure. Violet didn't like that laugh at all. "Then what are we waitnig for? Let's go meet up with the others." "Oh don't worry, you will soon enough." The figure moves closer as Violet backs up against the wall. "Are you scared Violet? You shouldn't be. Death is painless...mostly." The figure slashes Violet's neck and blood sprays all over the figure. "Goodbye Violet. Now, that leaves only Jade."

"Hello? Is anyone there?" "I'm here." Jade jumps nearly out her skin. "Oh my god, I found you!" "Actually, I found you Jade." "Do you know where the others are?" "They left us Jade." "Are you serious?!? Damn them!" "Oh, I wouldn't be damning them Jade. It is you who is damned." "What are you talking about?" "You hurt me Jade. You were mean to me. You played tricks on me and scared me. Now it's my turn to scare you Jade." "Rose?!?" "No. Rose is dead. She died when I took over her body nad mind." "Where are the others?" "There dead as well Jade." "You killed them? "Oh but of course." "Now it is time for you to die Jade. Any last words before I kill you?" "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do anything bad or hurt you or anything." "Aww how sweet, you're appologising. Well it's too late." Rose steps out with the rope she got off Maria and puts it around Jade's neck. Jade knows it is too late to appologise to her and accepts death. Jade feels the rope getting tighter and her body getting weaker. "Goodbye forever Jade."

"The police have finally discovered the bodies of Violet, Maria, Jade, and Katniss in the caves but the body of Rose is no where to be found."

Continue Reading