Tutoring A Malfoy - Dramione

By AlwaysDramione

Hermione Granger has brains, as everyone knows, so it's not very odd that she would be tutoring a few Hogwart... More

Chapter One - 'It has to be you, Hermione.'
Chapter Two - 'For you... really?'
Chapter Three - 'Amortentia never lies.'
Chapter Four - 'Don't say date, Granger.'
Chapter Five - 'Fine, it's a date!'
Chapter Six - 'Bite me, Granger.'
Chapter Seven - 'I changed my mind.'
Chapter Eight - 'What have you done?'
Chapter Nine - 'Saving him...'
Chapter Ten - 'How could you, Harry?'
Chapter Eleven - 'Those... four words.'
Chapter Twelve - 'Definition of "careful."'
Chapter Thirteen - 'Leaving is not an option.'
Chapter Fourteen - 'Surreal.'
Chapter Fifteen - 'Blood rather than water.'
Chapter Sixteen - 'Long term or short term?'
Chapter Eighteen - 'Epitome of stubborn!'
Chapter Nineteen - 'It is time' : part one
Chapter Twenty - 'It is time': part two
Sequel - Last Lesson In Love

Chapter Seventeen - 'Detention with Malfoy.'

80.9K 2.2K 2.4K
By AlwaysDramione

‘What happened in that cupboard?’ Ron asked, frowning as Hermione sat between him and Harry.

Harry was sat on her right side, eyes looking straight at her and hands folded in his lap. Ron was at her left side and was bearing a grin at the thought of Hermione even having detention. His grin turned into a frown again when Hermione let out a sound that was muffled by her hands but the sound didn’t sound very human to either of them. They exchanged a glance.

‘I... I don’t know. It all happened so fast and I should have explained to professor Slughorn that I was just getting ingredients when Malfoy decided to... to break a jar, for some odd reason. I just couldn’t form any coherent sentences!’ Hermione shook her head at the book in her lap that had been open since their last class had ended.

‘Hermione not being able to speak? Wow, that’s a first,’ Ginny joked, trying to squeeze herself in between Hermione and Harry. Harry’s face blazed since the sofa was only meant for three people and being squeezed next to Ginny meant for a bit of tight space. ‘I heard you got detention because of Malfoy.’

‘You heard... how did you hear that? From whom did you hear that?’ Hermione asked, her words jumbling together and tripping over one another.

‘Well, the news spread like wild fire since it’s not every day that the smartest person in Hogwarts gets detention. Also, you should just explain to Slughorn that it wasn’t your fault and I’m sure he’ll believe you.’

 Hermione sighed, thanking Ron as he handed her a tissue when a few tears escaped without her knowing. She got up and wiped her face as best as she could, staring into the fire to avoid the looks that were being not so casually thrown towards her. Everything really had happened so fast as though she had leaned too far into the forward button of life. Draco dropping the jar, Hermione screaming, Slughorn looking for an explanation, and the expression when Hermione didn’t defend herself.

Draco Malfoy made her speechless just gained a new meaning.

‘I have to go now. Don’t wait up on me,’ Hermione said, thinking she would drop by the toilets to clean herself up just to get away from the stares of everyone.

‘Don’t be scared. Slughorn loves you!’ Ginny said, giving her a reassuring smile.

‘Just tell him what a prick Malfoy is and everything will be sorted,’ Ron added in casually as a throw away comment, leaning back into the sofa when she got up.  Hermione rolled her eyes a little at the comment but said nothing.

Harry just nodded, watching her carefully. She couldn’t tell what was behind that look so she just thanked them and turned, ready to leave the common room behind and go to the first detention she’d ever had. Hermione got to the bathrooms first and fixed her hair and cleaned her face so it didn’t look as though she had been crying. A few Slytherin girls were in the bathroom, squealing about something that made them stop as soon as the bathroom door had opened and Hermione had appeared, then they started to whisper and giggle. When Hermione was satisfied with her appearance, she left the bathroom, the girls’ eyes followed her out. Now, it really was time to go to detention.

She wondered how it would be, if she could persuade Slughorn that it really wasn’t her fault... but she was curious as to why Draco felt the need to get her into trouble. Didn’t he want her to stay away from him? Yet, he got her into trouble too when he knew perfectly well that they would be in the same detention class, breathing the same air, and being able to look at each other. The question, nagging her, was: why? Did Draco want to tell her something? Did he just want her to get in trouble? She didn’t have a clue for once.

‘Hermione Granger: the girl who refuses to cheat in an exam; the girl who refuses to give out the answers to homework questions; the girl with her hand up in the air before the question is even asked; the girl who just can’t contain herself if she knows the answer; the girl who has to be right and let’s face it... the girl that is and always will be a know-it-all. That same girl, Hermione Granger, has detention. Oh, the biting wit can make even the coldest of people laugh.’

Hermione closed her eyes in annoyance as she heard the familiar voice right behind her as though he had just appeared as though he was a ghost. Why must he be so damn infuriating? She didn’t slow down or turn around to look at him. Giving him no acknowledgement of his presence, Hermione got to Slughorn’s classroom but before she could open the door, Draco stepped in front of her. She sighed and darted her gaze, looking away from him as she crossed her arms over her chest, tapping a finger impatiently on to her arm.

‘We’re going to be late for your detention,’ Hermione said, annoyed when Draco didn’t say anything first yet he had he audacity to stop her. He just stared at her with that annoying smirk on his face... a strikingly handsome, cool, and attractive smirk nonetheless.

‘It’s our detention,’ his smirk widened as he pushed his back off the door in an agile movement and stood before Hermione. Straightening his tie with his right hand and coughing a little, he looked down at her. Hermione thought to herself just how much taller he was getting. Nothing like the incessant, annoying boy in first year... okay, maybe a little like him but a handsome, new version.

Hermione, getting more and more annoyed by the second, watched as Draco glanced down the corridor as though he was paranoid that someone would come running at him. She frowned and looked down the corridor to see the Slytherin girls that she had seen in the bathroom who were just descending the stairs, glancing at Hermione and Draco before they went. Hermione looked back to the Slytherin but he had turned his back on her and was opening the door, going into the room. Hermione followed suit.

‘Late this morning, Miss Granger, and late for detention. I don’t expect this from you,’ Slughorn said, glancing at Draco as though to say he might have expected it from a Malfoy. Draco didn't say anything though. Slughorn looked back at Hermione, who had gone noticeably red.

‘Sorry,’ Hermione whispered, her voice coming out in a minuscule murmur that Slughorn probably did not hear.

Draco and Hermione walked into the empty classroom and she noticed the clock ticking its way closer to ten past eight. She took a seat at the desk in front of Slughorn and Draco was about to sit next to her but Hermione looked up and glared at him. Taking no notice of the cold glare, he smirked, the serious expression he had on earlier slid away easily, and sat down next to her.

‘No, no. No lines today,’ Slughorn said. They looked up curiously, wondering what Slughorn had in mind for their detention. He walked over to the supply cupboard and opened the door. The cupboard was filled with the usual ingredients needed for potions but in the middle of the cupboard was a table with two cloths on it. They walked into the cupboard and Slughorn explained, ‘first of all, clean that mess on the floor,’ (he indicated the jar that Draco broke which was still lying there shattered) ‘and there are empty jars on the top shelf that need to be cleaned. That should keep both of you occupied while I do some marking.’

‘I’d rather do lines,’ Draco muttered, picking up the cloth in disgust between two fingers. His nose crumpled slightly and Hermione hid a smile behind her hand. The smile was still visible to Draco and he turned around, smirking a little when they couldn’t see his face. Making Hermione laugh always made his stomach dip a little, although he would never admit that to her.

‘Using horrid words like... mudblood,’ Slughorn shuddered visibly, unaware of the discreet smiles passing between them, ‘will bag you something more than just lines, Mr Malfoy. I want that work done by hand of course.’

‘It will be, professor,’ Hermione muttered, bending down to pick up the shards of glass. Draco rolled his eyes, his hands itching for his wand already but that could wait until Slughorn left.

‘Move aside,’ Draco rolled his eyes as Slughorn walked away and closed the cupboard door behind them. Hermione stood up and narrowed her eyes at the closed door but Draco walked past her and waved his wand at the glass on the floor. The broken pieces of glass rose into the air and fell into the bin with a small tinkling sound. He turned to Hermione, wand at his side, ‘you can’t be the smartest witch in school or else we’re all doomed.’

‘We are supposed to do this by hand, Malfoy,’ Hermione frowned, crossing her arms over her chest. She looked down at the clean floor and for a second she debated whether to tip the bin over to reveal the shards of glass until they were on the floor again, just to make her point... but Draco gave her a look that seemed insulting enough. Hermione huffed, ‘stop giving me that look.’

‘Listen, I did this for a reason and that reason, I assure you, was not to do work like clean jars!’ Draco said, annoyed at her. Hermione’s glare got stronger but she kept her mouth shut, pursed in a straight line. Draco sighed, propping himself up on the table, and closing his eyes for a second.

‘I’d rather not be here too, Malfoy. I have a book back in my dorm waiting for me so if you don’t mind... just say what you want to say and let me go!’ Hermione said as Draco just sat on the table, swinging his longs legs a little. Draco simply looked up, eyes still closed, and let out a sigh.

‘I had to talk to you without it looking too suspicious,’ Draco said and opened his eyes. The greyness of his eyes bearing into Hermione made her a little calmer but he looked away and waved his wand at the two cloths. Hermione frowned and her eyes followed the cloths as they soared over to the top empty jars and started wiping them clean

Draco watched her face for a while, grinding his teeth to fight the urge to spill his feelings for her, especially when she was frowning since he couldn’t not notice the crinkle in her eyebrows and her eyes, the way they were shining just a little bit brighter right now. It was hard, very hard, to watch her every single day and pretend like his feelings for her didn't exist. It was true, he was in love with a muggle born. And that muggle born just had to have been Hermione Granger!

‘Perfect,’ Draco whispered, watching her face as her eyes glided from one of the jars to the others. Her eyes snapped to his and she became defensive, the shine in her eyes dimmed a little but they were still bright to Draco.

‘Sorry, what’s perfect?’ Hermione asked but before Draco could answer, or even think of a suitable lie to tell her, she sighed and held up a hand, ‘I know what this is about, okay? Don’t beat around the bush, Draco, I know you don’t want me going after the person who took our picture. I’m sorry but I won’t listen to you. This has got as much to do with me as it has to do with you.’

Hermione bit her lip as Draco, supporting a smirk on his face as usual, stood up. He brushed his suit off with the back of his hand, flicking away imaginary dust, and straightened his tie with his right hand before walking over to Hermione. His smirk seemed to be permanently attached to his face and his eyes glowed grey as he came to a stop in front of Hermione.

‘You know, in my life I’ve made many mistakes. Some of which I could spend days talking about and others which are small and stupid mistakes. For example, that girl I went to the Yule Ball with in our fourth year: big mistake,’ Draco sighed as though the memory haunted him every day. Hermione raised her eyebrows, wondering what he was talking about. Then Draco looked up, getting his wand from his pocket and ever so slowly he raised his wand to wrap a lock of Hermione’s hair around it, ‘aren’t you going to ask me why it was a mistake?’

‘Why?’ Hermione asked, exasperated but she was curious to know what he had to say. Draco smiled and Hermione felt his wand trail the length of her neck, leaving behind only warmth and a golden trail that soon faded. She tried her best to ignore it.

‘There were way more hotter girls that night from Hogwarts but I went with one from Beauxbatons to no avail. I didn’t get any action that night,’ Draco said casually and Hermione looked at him, disgusted.

‘If that’s all you care about... If that’s all you were going to say then... I... I don’t want to know!’ Hermione said, pushing Draco’s wand away from her neck as he tried to slide it down a little more. He sighed, smirking still, and grabbed her hand with his left hand as he stowed his wand away. Hermione looked at their hands holding each others and then at him. She shook her head, ‘you’re doing it again. You know, the act where the mighty Draco Malfoy hopes to get a piece of me but you’ll just make an excuse to stay away from me again.’

‘Ah, Granger, excuses are made but that doesn’t mean I want to stay away from you. I made a mistake at that Yule Ball by going with a girl I didn’t have feelings for and still getting no action. Some mistakes are small, like that one, but the one I’m making now has to be the biggest of my life and the most affecting,’ Draco said, dropping his gaze to grasp her other hand but Hermione was sure to keep a little distance between them. Now, she forgot about the closeness and even the fact that it seemed that Draco didn’t really want to stay away from her and that maybe he has feelings for her... she didn’t think of that just yet.

‘Draco...’ Hermione whispered, her heart sinking as Draco’s eyes closed for a second and then opened again. He smirked at her but Hermione could see the seriousness that Draco didn't want her to see.

‘Keep calling me by my first name and I’m sure people will start to believe we’re not mortal enemies,’ he joked half heartedly.

Hermione shook her head, turning around as she felt her eyes prick with tears. Sure, Draco may joke around and pass off the situation with a smirk but he’s serious and Hermione can see that clearly. Draco Malfoy is afraid of doing the wrong thing but he has to do that wrong thing to save himself and his family. Hermione glared at the jars in front of her as though it were there fault that she was nearly crying.

‘Hey, Granger, I didn’t mean to get all-’ Draco said but Hermione turned around and frowned at him.

‘Let me help you! Let Dumbledore help you! He’ll keep you safe, Draco, you know he will!’ Hermione pleaded with him but Draco shook his head incessantly like a toddler, his eyebrows furrowed a bit since that wasn’t the point of all this.

‘Stop that. You’re so annoyingly insistent but you know perfectly well that no one can help me!’ Draco shook his head again and a bit of anger flickered on his face, ‘the whole purpose of this was not to get you to help me but it was to try and convince you to stay away from matter including me and that includes the picture! You could get seriously hurt if it’s known that you are associated with me in any way! You can’t go looking for the person who took our picture. You can’t be associated with me, okay?’

‘Funny that since I’m best friends with the-boy-who-lived and you-know-who’s sole purpose is to kill Harry! It’s too late for me, Malfoy. Plus, you can’t order me around even if you think it’ll keep you safe. You’re not safe! You’re in terrible danger!’ Hermione stressed the fact by giving him the most serious face she could muster and before Draco could open his mouth, she blurted out, ‘I know who took our picture.’

‘How do you know?’ Draco asked, narrowing his eyes at her after a brief pause. Hermione shifted uncomfortably, keeping her hands up in front of them in a surrender type of pose.

‘I just do. I figured it out with a few charms on the letter and... I know,’ Hermione sighed, and with a little hesitation, she looked at him, ‘and you’re really telling me that I’ve not to be associated with you after you tell me you don’t want to stay away from me?’

‘It’s just that sometimes your nerdy, annoying, obnoxious behaviour is...’ Draco sighed, searching Hermione’s eyes for the word he wanted to use, ‘is... appealing to me. I don’t know why. God help me.’

Hermione smiled a little at that. Draco could never just come out and say he liked her to her face, no he had to make jokes that were borderline insulting about her. Yet, in a weird way, Hermione felt flattered to be liked by someone like Draco. She never thought that would have happened in a million years but she also never thought that Draco and herself would be on talking terms this year. Things changed. Draco sighed, feeling his anger dim a little at her smile but he tried not to show his feelings on his face. Why? Why was he trying to stay away from her when he couldn’t even drag his eyes away from her? He didn't know. Of course, Draco had never been in love before Hermione so experience wasn’t his strong suit here.

‘It’s Pansy,’ Hermione said after a while. Draco’s eyebrows shot up and Hermione nodded, sighing, ‘Pansy took the picture, trust me, I know.’

‘Are you sure?’ he asked, frowning now. A hand went to his hair, stopped for a second as though the thought of messing his perfectly styled hair up was not a suitable action at that moment, and then he let his hands drop.

‘Positive. Also, I must tell you, Draco Malfoy, I’m confronting her whether you like it or not. The difference between you and me, a Gryffindor and a Slytherin, is that I, being brave, am able to let my thoughts and feelings be known even if it means that an argument may start. Whereas you, being a Slytherin, coward away from arguments involving anything. Merlin, you can’t even tell a girl you like her without hiding behind your silly insults and half hearted jokes,’ Hermione ranted, moving away from him and towards the table instead. She stopped and turned around to face Draco again only to be met by his back, his stiff and brooding looking shoulders. Hermione took  a deep breath, ‘what would it take to get a simple ‘I like you’ out of you?’

A silence followed where the air itself seemed to be waiting in an anxious state, the only noise breaking the silence where the soft cleaning noises of the cloth and the jars. Hermione was determined not to be the first to break the silence so she waited, quite impatiently, until Draco turned around to face her. His annoyance, impatience and something that looked like helplessness was clear on his face.

‘I... like... you... I like you, Granger,’ Draco said, slowly and thoughtfully as though those words took a bit more thought process than anything else. He held up his hands and shrugged, ‘happy? I don’t know why it matters though.’

‘It matters because... well, it’s nice knowing that the most unlikely guy in the school has developed a-’ Hermione said but was interrupted by Draco who looked as though he was in physical pain.

‘Don’t say it,’ Draco groaned, walking closer to her. He stopped when he was right in front of her and Hermione lifted her chin a little to look up at him. A blush spread across her cheek as she noticed his gaze drop to her lips. Draco smirked, ‘nice to know I have the ability to make you blush.’

Without thinking, Hermione leaned forwards and let their lips touch for a second. A small second but it felt as if every emotion and thought came out in that single kiss. Already blazing cheeks, Hermione felt the heat spread all the way across her neck as she opened her eyes and looked at Draco. Draco had his eyes closed and he pulled Hermione closer to him, kissing her again but for longer this time. Hermione’s back hit the table behind them softly and she felt a tickle as Draco’s hands crept around her waist whilst her hands nested in his hair, messing them up. After a fulfilling kiss, Draco pulled back.

‘That was...’ Draco wasn’t sure what he had meant to say. That was a mistake? That was great? That was amazing but I can’t seem to control my feelings for you which means... yeah, sorry, I have to leave now and hopefully we’ll never be alone in a cupboard ever again. The last one seemed more likely but Hermione shook her head, holding up a hand.

‘Don’t leave because you’re afraid of what will happen if someone finds out, or if you or I get hurt. Draco... I... I miss you,’ Hermione said truthfully, sighing when she saw his face. It was like he was almost feeling... guilty for kissing Hermione and she knew that face, it was the one he made when he had left her last time.

Draco sighed, holding up his hands again as if to surrender to her wishes. He knew it was wrong to lead her on when he would be leaving Hogwarts for the dark arts so soon but... he loved her. Love seemed to weigh more than rational thought sometimes.

‘They’re done,’ Draco said, finally. Hermione looked confused and he pointed to the jars on the top shelf, ‘they’re all clean so we can leave now, I guess.’

Draco walked over to the cupboard door and opened it to the classroom. He stood by the door and made a gesture for Hermione to go first. Hermione, feeling rather annoyed that he hadn’t replied suitably, sighed and made towards the door. As she walked out, Draco brushed her hand and smiled before closing the cupboard door.

‘Is that you finished?’ Slughorn asked, looking up. All he saw was Hermione and Draco standing a little behind her, he was taller so he could see Slughorn, and Hermione was supporting a smile on her face. Slughorn couldn’t see that Draco was trailing his wand down Hermione’s back, leaving a warm trail that seemed a little ticklish to Hermione. Slughorn looked down at his paperwork, ‘well, don’t let me see you in detention ever again. You’re dismissed.’

Hermione thanked him and they both walked out of the classroom, shutting the door behind them. Draco turned to Hermione, sliding his wand in his pocket. Hermione smiled at him knowingly and a little shyly as she thought of that kiss. Draco sighed and pulled her closer, kissing her softly on the cheek.

‘See you tomorrow, Granger?’ he asked, already taking a couple of steps back but his grey eyes were fixed on her. Hermione’s hand went to her cheek where he had just kissed her and she nodded. Draco smirked, ‘of course I will. You never miss class.’

And with that, Draco walked off while Hermione stared behind him. It looked as though he was going to his common room but he wasn’t. Draco went straight to where the vanishing cabinet was and he spent most of the night there, just staring at it. The choices he made were completely and utterly wrong. Especially the one with Hermione since she would get hurt in the end... she would hate him.

Draco, who had been playing with his wand as he stared at the cabinet, thought of all the destructive spells he could say to make the cabinet burst into flames or crumble into ash. He contemplated the idea, the one thing that could get him out of hurting Hermione even though it would kill him. In the early hours of the morning, Draco left the room to go back to bed.

Hermione was right. Draco Malfoy was a coward.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

265 3 19
Draco Malfoy is determined to get away from his terrible parents and start a new life at the best wizarding school, Hogwarts. Maybe he'll even make a...
619K 17.3K 38
The war is over. Everyone has to retake the previous year at Hogwarts. Hermione Granger is made Head Girl and Draco Malfoy is made Head Boy. Tensions...
48.1K 648 55
The Slytherin Prince is not what he seems to be. Y/n Potter, Harry Potter's sister, finds pure hatred in her heart for the 'pathetic' Draco Mal...
476K 10.6K 30
Draco Malfoy and Hermione Granger met before they started at Hogwarts and became friends. But this was before Draco knew Hermione's blood status and...