Book One: Rise of the King

By ShawnaHodge

What can I say? This has been a labour of love for me. Our hero isn't a hero on purpose. He's in the wrong p... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Epilogue

Chapter Fourteen

4 1 0
By ShawnaHodge

 Eli slept all the next day and was finally roused by Anna for breakfast with about thirty-six hours of sleep under his belt. She insisted that he bathe before he joined them. He was brought a tub, soap and a razor. He enjoyed the bath but hurried out when he smelled food cooking. After the morning meal he dressed in the clothes his mother had brought from the forest for him and they met the others at the council tent, as they were all calling it now. It was some time before Gray bothered to get everyone's attention. He knew there was a lot of catching up to do for Eli with Clea, Nate and Charlie. He didn't want to cut into that, but there were matters that needed to be discussed.

When everyone had seated themselves, Katara brought in beverages. She waited to be dismissed, her gaze lingering just a breath longer than necessary on Gray. He didn't let so much as a muscle twitch, but Eli was watching and knew immediately that the girl was Gray's dirty little secret, as one might say. Still, he wouldn't say anything. That was Gray's business, after all. "Eli brought us a map from Mahas. I've studied it over and over and the whole business seems pretty clear cut to me." Gray began the meeting. "I've been considering our plan. I would think there has to be a third exit, further up the mountain because they're not taking the material they're mining out the front way or down along the river exit. It's not shown on the map, though, so I would say it's safe to assume that it's going to have to be something we have to find."

"Are you saying we've to go back?" Eli asked, not looking forward to that.

"Mahas will have to, and I don't want him to go alone, but it doesn't have to be you that goes with him." Gray answered. "You've done your bit for king and country for now. One of the other Guard can go."

"The Guard?" Daniel asked.

"The Night Guard. That's what Clea and his men call us." Charlie answered.

Gray held up the rock, passed it around for everyone to see. "Tell us about the rock, Eli."

"They're beating these big chunks of rock out of the walls, then taking them to a conveyor that's hauling them up to a room where some other guys are breaking the rock open and finding these crystals. I don't know what they are or what they are for, but I know this is what they're taking out of there." Eli informed them.

"You know," Charlie said, looking at the rock, brow furrowed, "I've seen this before. Can't put my finger on it, but I know I've seen it."

"No idea?"

Charlie concentrated, his eyes moving as if he was going through a catalogue in his brain. Slowly he shook his head. "No, but I bet it's in one of those books in the library back in the forest."

Gray took a long draw off his cigarette. "While we let that rest for a moment, let's move on. I'm thinking of going on a recruiting campaign with Dad. I plan on taking Horse and riding south until I hit the ocean and then swinging back up along the river until I find someone. If that doesn't work, then I'll head north and try it there. We know that a few weeks ago there was a good sized camp still hiding out on the ocean because one of the guys who'd been there showed up here with his family. Since they suck with numbers, there's no way to tell how many people there might actually be, though."

"How many more warriors do you think we need?" Nate asked, wondering how large a force his brother was looking to amass.

"Well, from what I've gathered from the information that Eli brought back and the way we've fought with the Gauran before, my guess is that we need a minimum of three hundred, but I would feel more comfortable with five. That number isn't just for fighting, though. We're going to need a guard to protect the refugees that are rescued from the mine. That many people will need a lot of protection and we can't be sure of how many Komeh or Gauran are in the mountains. I would rather have too many people than not enough." Gray answered.

That seemed to make sense to everyone.

"There's the matter of the language barrier, too. Their language is very restrictive and everyone knows it drives me crazy." Gray stopped to let them laugh. "But we need to try really hard to teach the guys we brought back here with us the Common."

Gray was pretty sure that was it for the general stuff. He took a drink of the homebrew and waited. They looked at him expectantly.

"Well?" Charlie asked, a grin on his face.

Gray looked at him. "I want you take that crystal and see what you can find out back in the library. You can take Tyler home yourself that way."

"He's asked to stay." Charlie informed him.

Gray didn't appear to like that. His expression darkened a little. "And his family? You know his wife won't be happy with that."

"He can go with me and talk it out with Mary. If he still wants to come back, then he can." Charlie answered.

"What's your reasoning?"

Charlie shrugged and leaned back, tapping a finger on the table absently. "The way I figure it, they'll need someone around here who can fix things when we leave for the mine. He's almost as safe here as he would be in the forest. I feel comfortable with it."

Gray nodded. "Alright then. If Mary doesn't kill him, bring him back. How is he with the Common?"

"Doing really well. We've been working with the Ranthos a lot because of the well and the new housing we've had to put up so he's getting more practice than most people."

Gray nodded. "Good."

"Mom, I want you to check out every man in this camp and see which ones are in good condition. Eli, that'll put you and Clea in charge of training. I want you guys to really push these fellas to see what they can do. When the weather breaks in the mountains this spring, we have to be ready to get on the ground." he explained.

Clea and Eli shared a look of acknowledgment.

"Dad and I are going to go looking for anyone else who might be out there and who might be willing to come back with us. That puts you in charge again, Nate. By the time I get back, I want to see everything moving along." He said, looking at his brother.

Nate made a face. "Please tell me you'll leave Intuk."

Gray looked amused. "You couldn't do all this shit without him."

Katara entered in then. She was carrying a platter, followed by other young women with food. The table was cleared to make room for their meal. The women left, but Katara returned with fresh pitchers. By then they had begun filling their plates. She swapped the pitcher closest to him and in her own language, the words of the River People, asked if he needed anything else.

"No. Thank you." he answered.

She smiled. "You talk much today."

Gray looked at her. "I have much to say."

"You have many fire sticks, too." she pointed out, slight disapproval in her tone.

He rolled his eyes. "Do not begin nagging." He replied, amused.

Katara smiled shyly at him, shook her head and started away.

Gray caught himself watching her and forced his attention back to the table.

"What was that language?" Charlie asked, taking a bite out of his meat.

"Jakara. It's what the River People call themselves."

"You know her language?" Anna asked, surprised.

Gray nodded. "I'm conversational in all the languages of this village. I find it makes communication much smoother when you can speak to people in a way that they're most comfortable with."

Eli laughed. Nate shook his head.

"For a guy who couldn't even learn Spanish after two years of it, you're doing pretty darn well," Anna remarked.

"I know. Weird, isn't it?" he replied.

"So what did she say?"

"Asked if we needed anything else and said I was smoking too much."

Anna grinned. "I like her. What's her name?"

"Katara."

"She's pretty." Charlie noted.

"She's handy."

Eli almost choked on his wafer and Nate had to pat him on the back a few times. Gray gave Eli look. Over the meal they spoke of little things going on around the village. They laughed and joked and enjoyed the camaraderie of each other's company.

"When do you want us to go?" Charlie asked.

"Whenever you want." Gray answered, pushing back his empty plate.

Charlie took one last swallow from his mug and stood up. "Well, then, if you're done with me, I'd like to get some things sorted out before I go."

Gray nodded. "Sure. Just stick your head in the door before you take off. I plan on leaving early in the morning."

Charlie gave him a quick nod and hurried off.

"Does your father know he's going with you?" Anna asked as the serving girls took away the dishes.

"Not yet."

"If you don't mind my asking, why are you taking him?"

"He's a psychologist. When we find people, his instincts might come in handy. I thought it would be nice for him to stretch his legs a bit, too."

Gray gave his mother a wink and she smiled.

"I have patients I need to check on if you're finished with me."

He nodded and she went about her way, leaving him with his brothers. The three of them grinned at each other and rose from the table. Katara returned. She stopped just inside the tent.

"You're done here?" she asked.

"Yes. Time for walking." Gray told her as the three of them headed passed her to go outside.

Katara stood there, waiting for him. When he got to her he gave her a wink and she smiled. "I will tend to this."

"Thank you."

"Later I will tend to you." she promised, dark eyes lit with mischief.

"Thank you." he replied, giving her a small smile.

Gray stepped out into the sun with his brothers, both of whom were checking out the pretty, dark-haired girl moving into the tent.

"She's hot." Nate commented, grinning.

Gray glanced back at her. She certainly was.

"She isn't part of the deal, though, Nate." He said, his tone holding a slight warning.

Nate's eyes were suddenly on him. "Really? Are you seriously doing that?"

Gray ignored Nate's question and started walking. "So tell me about this map and this mine again, Eli."

At the evening meal, which was traditionally a village event, hundreds of people sat on the ground, gathered around the bonfire that Charlie had set up. They dined on a potluck of meats and vegetables and drank pitcher after pitcher of homebrew. Gray walked around, talking to people in their own tongue. He seldom ever used the Common anymore. It was to him the language of battle. As he moved from group to group he preferred to speak with them in their own languages, which he had found made the refugees feel comfortable and more at home. It was a little thing, perhaps, but whatever it took to boost morale and encourage people to take up arms, then he was happy to do it.

He looked around, saw the serving maids doing their best to keep up with demand, though demand was hardly the right word. For the most part, the Ranthos he had encountered had been unequivocally patient, kind and generous. He had yet to meet one person who was anything other than the salt of the Earth, or whatever the equivalent was here.

One thing that bothered him was that he noticed his eyes were always on the search for Katara. He had intentionally kept their relationship casual. He couldn't deal with going through the pain of the loss of his family again. In the months since Amara and the children had been murdered, he had come to terms with the fact that they were indeed his family, that she had been a wife and that Aria had been as much his child as the unborn baby that had been lost. It wasn't a loss he wanted to deal with again. He was getting attached to Katara and it bothered him.

When his eyes found her, she was standing with a woman, off to the side of a group of Jakara, River People. The woman hugged her and she was clearly upset. He didn't rush, but he didn't dally either, as he made his way to her. When he reached them, the woman looked at him.

"Seloch." She whispered, face flushing as she took in the sight of him.

Katara turned to Gray, fell into his chest, crying.

"What is wrong?" he asked her, bringing her face up to see him.

She just kept crying, hid her face in his chest again.

"Her man was in the mines." The woman told him. "I saw him. He lives and she did not know."

Gray didn't know what to say. "Why do you have tears?" he asked Katara gently. "This is good."

"First man not dead. I take new man." she whispered, unable to look at him.

"You did not know." He soothed, stroking her hair. "You did not do this to hurt."

Katara looked up at him, her eyes hurting and afraid. He smiled softly and wiped her tears. She was calmer now and when he pulled her close she was looking for comfort and forgiveness.

"You are not angry?"

"No, Katara. I am not angry. There is no reason to be." Gray looked down at her again, tone reassuring. "Are you well now?"

She nodded, sniffing and wiping her eyes. He told her to stay with the woman and not to do work. The woman wrapped Katara in her arms and led her to the group of her own people. Gray watched her for a moment before leaving her to their comfort. He didn't want to think about what this meant. He just wanted to ignore it for right now.

He continued making his way through the small groups, putting on his best face and being as charming and friendly as he knew how to be. It was with no small amount of relief, though, when he sat down between his father and Charlie. He drank a mug of homebrew before he dove into his meal, not saying a word until he had eaten.

"Your mother tells me you want me to go with you tomorrow." Daniel said, leaning back to stretch his legs out.

"Yeah." Gray handed his empty plate to the serving girl. "I want to see if we can find anyone else out there to enlist. We might have some luck. I thought you might enjoy the ride and I could use any help I can get judging their state of mind. I don't always know how to be gentle about things. That's where you would come in."

Daniel smiled to himself. Maybe he could prove helpful after all. He nodded and smiled at Gray. "I'd be happy to go along."

"Great." Gray replied with a distracted, forced smile. "I'm going to bed. It's been a long day."

Pretending not to see the questioning glances he received over such an early exit, he bid them good night and went to his tent. He undressed and lay down on his cot. Sleep evaded him but he didn't get up. He just kept thinking about all of the failures he'd had in relationships and wondering what he was always doing wrong. He knew he wasn't the most emotionally available man but that couldn't account for all of it. There was always something happening that kept him from finding someone to settle down with, someone to find comfort with. Surely to God there was someone out there that he could be happy with.

When the tent flap moved and he saw her enter, he didn't know what to say. He sat up and Katara moved toward him, a strange look on her face. Before he could speak, she was removing her top and pulling up her skirt.

"Oh shit," was all he managed to get out before she was pulling off the thin cover, grabbing his mouth roughly.

In the morning, his father's voice woke him. She was there, her slender body lying half on-top of him. He rubbed his face with his free hand and she shifted, rising up off him a little.

"Give me a minute." He called to his father.

"Alright."

Katara looked at him, desire in her eyes.

"Why did you come to me?" he asked quietly, moving away from her, getting up off the cot and looking for clothes.

"I do not know. Perhaps for forgiveness. Perhaps to say goodbye." She admitted, watching him pull on his boots.

Gray stood there holding his tunic, a frown on his face. "I will not have you again." he told her, feeling as if he had done something horribly wrong.

Katara looked as if she wanted to cry. She got off the cot, pulled on her top and rushed from the tent. Gray let out a heavy breath and was glad he was leaving for a few days. When he walked out, tugging his tunic down over his head, Daniel was waiting with the horses. The older man had a curious smile on his face but didn't ask. Gray's dark expression made it clear he was in no mood to offer any explanations.

"I don't want to talk about it." Gray said, mounting up on Horse, ignoring his father's amusement.

"I didn't figure you would." Daniel replied, still grinning at his son.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 25 25
"Elle, why? Are you not happy here? Am I doing something wrong...?" His voice seemed to break when he was asking that last question. "No, it's not yo...
446K 14.1K 65
Being a king is hard. Raising a son is hard. Living with eternal grief is hard. King Thranduil is just trying to keep his kingdom running and his son...
1 0 1
A man with a seriously messed up life and a load of mental problems made a lot of mistakes in his life but one stands above the rest. The story is ab...
75 14 11
PROLOGUE: Our lives are so convulated that we want something adventurous in life of our's. But, actually because of these convulated problems our lif...