Country Love

By conleyswifey

Retired country singer and ex-marine Bradley Thompson never thought he'd give up his 'go where i want' lifest... More

Country Love
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Sixteen
Epilogue

Chapter Fifteen

31.1K 957 38
By conleyswifey

Bradley led a nervous Garth and Natalie into the diner. Isabelle stood to greet them and felt her confidence rise just a little. She had never seen either of these people look nervous or flustered and right now that is exactly how they looked. The four of them sat down in the booth. Garth and Natalie on one side and Bradley and Isabelle on the other. Trisha had gone to the back table and taken a seat next to Edgar.

"You know why we are here, Isabelle." Natalie said while doing her best to only look at Isabelle. Natalie had been threatening and intimidating Isabelle for years and knew how to do it well.

"I wanted you to come so I could let you know how good Sara is doing here." Isabelle replied. Natalie laughed harshly.

"Our granddaughter will never be doing good as long as she is with you." she spat.

"I am a good mother." Isabelle said and Bradley was angry to hear the uncertainty in her voice. He wrapped his arm around her and kissed her temple.

"You are an amazing mother." he said and this earned a snort from Natalie. Garth still sat there in silence as he looked at Bradley. Clearly he had not forgotten what had happened outside as quickly as his wife had.

"I should call the police and have you arrested for assaulting my son." he said. Bradley shrugged.

"Go ahead and call them. You are familiar with who I am right?"

"So you think that just because you are some famous singer, that gives you the right to commit crimes and not pay for them?" Garth demanded. Bradley nodded.

"When the crime I'm committing is knocking out the man who tried to rape an innocent woman then yes."

"My Dennis would never…." Natalie gasped her voice full of outrage.

"He did Natalie!" Isabelle cut in. "But you never believe anything bad about your sons. You still call me a liar when I tell you that Joe cheated on me the entire time we were married and he was not afraid to knock me around to get me to see things his way."

"You are a no good lying whore!" Natalie spat. Her face was growing red in her anger and her voice was loud and harsh.

"I don't see any reason to start calling names." Bradley said. His voice sounded calm but Isabelle could feel the tension in his body.

"We want to see our granddaughter." Garth said matter of factly. Bradley shook his head.

"Given how tense and upset everybody is right now I don't think that would be a good idea." he said. "She's spending the day with my sister."

"So what have you been doing since you've been gone, Isabelle? Shacking up with this man? You are such a positive role model for you daughter." Natalie said with a sneer. Bradley hated putting Isabelle through Natalie's accusations but he knew it had to happen for his plan to work.

"I am a good mother, Natalie." Isabelle said again only this time Bradley could hear a little more conviction in her voice.

"No you're not. When my Joe met you, you had nothing. He took you in and he took care of you and what did you do? You made his life miserable! He had to drink just to put up with you and it is your fault that he wrapped his truck around that tree!" Natalie exclaimed. Bradley didn't hear any sadness in her voice as she talked about her son and he realized that Isabelle had not been exaggerating when she had called these two people monsters.

"Natalie, I didn't make Joe go to that bar every night." Isabelle replied. "I was busy taking care of Sara."

"Sara would be better off with us. We actually know how to raise children." Natalie said smoothing out her blouse.

"Yes obviously." Bradley said dryly. "Dennis seems like the model of a gentleman and Joe sounded like a real winner too."

"Don't insult my sons." Garth said coldly.

"Then tell your wife not to insult, Isabelle." Bradley replied just as coldly.

"I don't see how any of this is your business." Natalie said looking over at Bradley. "I have worked too hard to get my granddaughter away from that woman to stop now."

"What do you mean you've worked hard to get her away from her mother?" Bradley asked. He fought to keep his satisfaction from showing on his face. Natalie was doing exactly what he had hoped she would do.

"I didn't have her thrown into that psychiatric hospital and report all those abuse claims to social services for nothing. I have been working hard to get my granddaughter away from her mother. Isabelle is not the best thing for Sara."

"You had no right to do any of those things!" Isabelle exclaimed angrily. "I am not crazy and I would never hurt my daughter!"

"I know that." Natalie spat. "But that doesn't mean I want my granddaughter with you."

"So you knew you were lying when you had Isabelle thrown into that hospital and when you claimed she was abusing Sara?" Bradley asked and Isabelle was irritated at how calm he sounded. She wanted him to be just as scared, nervous and angry as she was.

"Yes." Natalie said her voice full of venom as she glared at Bradley. "I know that Isabelle would never hurt her daughter but that doesn't mean I want her raising my granddaughter!"

"You hate Isabelle so much that you would try to ruin her life and take her daughter for no reason?"

"Yes." Natalie replied. Then she turned to Isabelle. "This is not over Isabelle. I am going home to my lawyers and I am filing a suit to take Sara once and for all. Once the judges hear about your past and the fact that you're shacked up in some town with a man and pawning your daughter off on his family they will give her to me and Garth for sure."

"Okay I think we've got enough." Bradley said raising his arm and motioning at Edgar. Edgar nodded and pulled a voice recorder from under his newspaper. He stood and walked over to them.

"What is the meaning of this?" Garth asked.

"Edgar Ross here was kind enough to record our conversation." Bradley replied and he saw Natalie grow pale when she remembered what she had just said.

"Now I think we need to get down to the real reason I invited you both here. You are going to stop harassing Isabelle and you are going to stop trying to take her daughter away." Bradley said leaning back in the booth and crossing his arms over his chest.

"Why? Because you say so?" Natalie demanded. Bradley nodded.

"Yes. And you just admitted yourself that you know that Isabelle would never harm her daughter. You admitted on record that you had Isabelle falsely thrown into that hospital and then you admitted on record that you made false claims of abuse to social services. What do you think the courts will think about that?" Natalie and Garth both stared at him wide-eyed for several moments.

"We have money and we have a good lawyer. I will get my granddaughter." Natalie said but she no longer sounded quite so sure. Isabelle remained silent. She figured Bradley was doing a good job without any help from her.

"The way I see it you have two choices." Bradley said. "The first option is that you go on home and leave Isabelle and Sara alone and stop trying to take Sara away from her mother. The second option is that you go ahead and go to your lawyers and your judges and you give taking Sara away your best shot but you should keep in mind that I have you on record admitting that you know Isabelle would never harm her daughter and admitting that you've lied to try to prove her unfit. I also have pictures and video footage showing what a happy little girl Sara is when she is with her mother." Bradley added pulling several pictures from his pocket and laying them on the booth.

Isabelle saw that the pictures were from the Sunday before. There were pictures of them fishing and playing at the park. Sara was smiling happily in all of them. Garth and Natalie remained silent.

"I think you should also keep in mind that Isabelle has me in her corner now and I have more money than you could ever dream of having. And I have an entire team of lawyers that would be more than happy to meet with your lawyer." Bradley smiled. "You did say you only have one right?" They all sat in silence for several long tense minutes.

"My wife and I will leave. We will stop trying to take Sara." Garth said finally.

"We what!" Natalie screeched as she looked over at her husband. Garth looked sternly at his wife.

"You ran your mouth too much, dear wife." he said. "We would not stand a chance now especially since Isabelle has him on her side." Garth rose from the booth and Bradley rose as well.

"I'm glad you see things my way." he said. Isabelle stood and let Bradley wrap his arm tight around her waist. She had never had someone on her side before and she took comfort in his reassuring touch.

Natalie stood and pointed her finger in Isabelle's face.

"You'll be alone again soon. This man will see what a whore you are and he'll kick you and Sara out on your own and when he does I will be there to get my granddaughter."

"You'll never take my daughter from me." Isabelle replied squaring her shoulders and looking Natalie in the eye.

"You might as well quit threatening her." Bradley said. "Isabelle and Sara are mine and if the two of you don't leave them alone then you are going to learn the hard way that I always protect what's mine."

"I am not…." Natalie started but Garth cut her off with a sharp look.

"Shut up woman. You've caused enough damage." he said. Natalie glared up at her husband and her mouth snapped shut. Isabelle was standing in shock. She had never heard Garth stand up to Natalie before. She was sure Natalie had never heard it either and that is why she obeyed him.

"I still want to be able to see my granddaughter from time to time." Garth said looking at Bradley. Isabelle realized that the anger was gone from Garth's eyes and in it's place was acceptance for the way things were going to be.

"That's fine. I don't think that Isabelle ever wanted to keep your granddaughter from you. You just didn't leave her any other choice." Bradley looked down at Isabelle. "Is that okay with you?" he asked her.

"Yes." she replied. "I want Isabelle to know her grandparents. But only if they are going to be a positive influence." she added.

"You are both welcome to visit anytime you want." Bradley said turning back to Garth. Garth turned and started for the door.

"Come on, Natalie, it's time to go home." he said and Natalie gave one last glare in Isabelle's direction and followed Garth out the door.

Only when their SUV drove away did Isabelle take a breath. She looked at Bradley and couldn't keep her tears from pouring from her eyes as she threw her arms around his neck.

"I love you so much." she said. He looked at Edgar and Trisha as if daring them to make fun of him as he rubbed her back, kissed her hair and said

"I love you too." Edgar patted Bradley on the back and handed him the voice recording of their conversation.

"Well if that's all you needed me for, I guess I'll be leaving now." he said.

"Thanks for all your help." Bradley replied. Edgar turned at the door and smiled.

"Thank you for that seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars. I am leaving here one hell of a rich man." he said and then left the diner. Isabelle put her hands on her hips and stared up at Bradley in shock.

"Seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars?" she exclaimed. "You paid him seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars to help us?" Trisha stood and walked quickly for the kitchen door.

"I have some things to do. I'll leave you two alone."

"I paid him to keep his mouth shut about where I am and to help us deal with Garth and Natalie. He agreed to record the conversation today and just in case Natalie and Garth don't take my threats seriously he has agreed to testify on your behalf."

"Are you real?" Isabelle asked reaching out and laying her hand on his cheek. He raised his brow.

"Huh?" he asked. She smiled.

"Are you real? I mean it just seems like you are too good to be true sometimes and I am afraid I'm going to wake up one day to find you're not real. You went through all of this just to make me feel safer. You know as well as I do that there is a good chance they won't listen to you but you paid all that money and knocked Dennis's teeth out anyway." Bradley shrugged.

"I knocked Dennis's teeth out because he's a jackass." he said. "And I would do anything for you and Sara. I think they will listen to me. I think Natalie is the one that was calling the shots before and Garth is tired of that now. He won't let her cause any more trouble."

"And even if they do I have you now so I'm not alone anymore." Isabelle added. Bradley smiled and kissed her forehead.

"That's right." he replied and he decided that all the money he paid and the way his knuckles were still throbbing from punching Dennis was well worth the happy trusting look on her face. He no longer saw any fear in her eyes.

"Thank you, Bradley. Thank you for being an overprotective cave man. I have never felt more safe or loved in my life."

"You never have been more safe or more loved." Bradley replied pressing a gentle kiss to her lips. They heard Trisha gag in the back and they laughed.

"You know Chelsea was hoping to keep Sara all day." he whispered in Isabelle's ear. Isabelle felt the familiar tremors pass through her at the feel of his lips against her ear.

"I would hate to disappoint her." she said breathlessly.

"Then we won't." Bradley replied looking at her and winking. Isabelle laughed as he picked her up in his arms and carried her out of the diner.

888

Two weeks passed and Isabelle felt as if a giant weight had been lifted from her shoulders. She was no longer worried about Garth and Natalie. She knew that even if they tried to take Sara, Bradley would do anything and everything to keep them from doing so.

Isabelle had found over the last two weeks that Bradley had been telling the truth when he had warned her that he wasn't perfect. She was constantly picking his dirty clothes up off the floor, Sara liked to tell everyone about how she went swimming in the potty in the middle of the night because the seat was left up, and Isabelle and Sara were constantly scolding him for his language.

Isabelle smiled as she stirred the pot of homemade chili she was cooking and thought about him. Despite his warnings that he'd be late coming home some nights because of his fishing hole, it hadn't happened yet. He raced home every day after working at the farm and Isabelle could see the happiness on his face when Sara would run and greet him at the door. She thought back to the way Joe had never once rushed home to see her or Sara. He had always stumbled in in the middle of the night, drunk, long after Sara had already gone to bed, and passed out on the couch, not ever even bothering to come to the bed.

Isabelle smiled when she thought about the way that Bradley would come straight to her once he sat Sara back down and he would wrap his arms around her tightly and kiss her as if he had been away from her for years instead of hours.

It was Friday afternoon and Sara was building with blocks in the living room while Isabelle cooked and waited on Bradley to get home from the farm. She heard his truck pull in the driveway and then cringed when she heard the truck door slam. Bradley was upset over something and Isabelle didn't have to wonder what it was. She already knew.

Bradley and his father fought almost everyday. Bradley did everything he could to try to help his father but nothing Bradley did was ever good enough for Ethan Thompson.

Sara heard Bradley's truck and came running into the kitchen.

"Mommy, can I call Badley daddy today?" she asked. Isabelle choked on the bite of chili she'd been sneaking and looked down at her daughter.

"Um…. I don't know baby girl." she said. "You can ask him if you want to." Sara giggled and then ran for the door when Bradley walked in. Isabelle saw the tension leave Bradley's face immediately as he scooped Sara up in his arms and spun her around. He pressed a big kiss to her cheek.

"Have you been good today, princess Sara?" he asked. Sara nodded.

"I'm always good." she replied. Bradley nodded.

"That you are."

"Can I call you daddy?" Sara asked and Isabelle saw the shock on Bradley's face. He didn't look away from Sara's eyes and Isabelle felt tears fill her eyes when she saw the happy smile that came on his face.

"I would like that very much." he said and Isabelle could hear the emotion caught in his throat.

"I made you a picture today." Sara said. Bradley sat her down on her feet and tousled her hair.

"Well what are you waiting for? Go get it!" he said and she ran off to her room giggling. Bradley turned to Isabelle and saw her standing there looking at him with tears in her eyes.

"Are you okay?" he asked. She nodded.

"Thank you for loving my daughter. We're lucky to have you" Bradley cleared his throat and blinked quickly to hide his own tears. He wasn't about to cry and destroy the whole cave man tough guy image that he had going for him.

"I'm the lucky one." he said wrapping his arms tight around her and pressing his lips gently to hers. Sara came running back into the room and Isabelle moved away from Bradley and went back to stirring the chili. Bradley turned his attention back to Sara but his mind was still on Isabelle.

His life was almost perfect. He had a beautiful woman and a little girl who he couldn't love any more if she was his real daughter but there was still something missing. He decided he needed to work on the one piece of unfinished business he had. Sara calling him daddy was the best sound he'd ever heard in his life but it had him wondering what it would feel like to hear Isabelle call him her husband.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

958K 23.1K 43
When young Diovanna is framed for something she didn't do and is sent off to a "boarding school" she feels abandoned and betrayed. But one thing was...
26.6K 969 29
Laura wants a fresh start; she moves up to the family cabin that her parents gave her once she turned twenty-one. Driving up a week before Christmas...
826K 21.3K 41
While moonlighting as a stripper, Emery Jones' mundane life takes a twisted and seductive turn when she finds herself relentlessly pursued by reclusi...
1.6M 105K 199
**Story is gonna be slow paced. Read only if you have patience. 🔥** Isha Sharma married a driver whom she had just met. She was taking a huge risk...