Greek Mythology

By -concrete-rose-

This is an anthropology of Greek myths. If you know a myth that I've forgotten or want included, comment belo... More

The Creation
Coeus
Phoebe
Crius
Kronos
Hyperion
Iapetus
Mnemosyne
Oceanus
Rhea
Themis
Tethys
Atlas
Eos
Prometheus
Epimetheus
Helios
Leto
Zeus
Hera
Hades
Persephone
Poseidon
Aphrodite
Ares
Artemis
Apollo
Athena
Demeter
Dionysus
Hephaestus
Hermes
Hestia
Achilles/Akhilleus
Agamemnon
Atalanta
Bellerophon
Cadmus/Kadmos
Daedalus/Daidalos
Heracles/Hercules
Jason/Iason
Odysseus
Orion
Perseus
Thesus
Automatons
Dragons
Giants
Mythical Animals
Mythhical Monsters
Paris

Theia

158 2 0
By -concrete-rose-

Theia (Thia, Thea, Euryphaessa)

Theia or Thea was the Titan goddess of shinning, associated with shinning light, shinning metals or jewels. Her other name Euryphaessa means "wide-shinning" and therefore she was connected with all that is shinning. In Pindar's Isthmian Odes, Theia is described as the goddess of shining after whom the men honored gold as the most powerful shining object. She was also the goddess of sight, because ancient Greeks believed that eyes emitted beams of light which allowed them to see what they looked upon. She was one of the twelve titans and one of the six daughters of Uranus and Gaea. Theia was also, like her sisters Phoebe and Themis, associated with prophecies. She had a shrine in Thessaly.

The mother of the Sun, the Moon, and the Dawn

Theia married her brother Hyperion (Titan god of light) and together the gave birth to Helios (the sun), Selene (the moon) and Eos (the dawn).

Helios - Titan god of sun dwelled in a golden palace, located at the far east of the earth. He was traveling from the east to the west during daytime with his golden chariot, drawn by four winged horses, and was wearing a radiant circle or aureole of the sun. During night-time, he descended into a golden cup which carried him back to his golden palace.

Selene - Titan goddess of moon was depicted as a woman in chariot, drawn by a pair of winged steeds, and wearing a golden cloak. Her great love was a mortal man called Endymion who was granted immortality and eternal youth by Zeus and was placed in a state of eternal slumber near Mount Latmos, where his bride came every night to consort with him.

Eos - Titan goddess of dawn who rose each day in the morning from the edge of Oceanus to overcome mists and shadows of the night with her golden rays. She was married to her cousin Astraeus(Titan god of dusk). However, she had fallen under a curse from Aphrodite and became, like her sister Selene, obsessed with young mortal men. Finally, she had chosen Tithonus, prince of Troy, to be her lover. She also asked Zeus for his immortality, but forgot to ask for eternal youth and one day he shrivelled up by old age and babbled for eternity.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.9K 593 19
Scary Stories which range from Creepypasta, to even funny creepy stories. If you would like to see one posted on here, you can comment on this story...
Urban Legends By samantha

Mystery / Thriller

5.2K 117 21
this is about urban legends so....ENJOY!! And I might include some creepypasta as well!
13.5K 638 46
Hi So this book is going to be my fourth book in this account that has scary facts (that are actually true ψ(*`ー')ψ ) and urban legends which may dif...
1.6K 78 34
There will be short (and I mean short) chapters, and if you want to message me for something that happened to you that was frightening, you can. I'm...