The Alpha Instinct

By TeaNHeartache

Grace has spent the past two years locked up and held prisoner by Kellan and his rogues. Now that she is fin... More

Preface: Stench of Betrayal
Chapter One: Hunting Season
Chapter Two: A Touch of Silver
Chapter Three: Runaway Alpha
Chapter Four: Whose The Alpha?
Chapter Five: What a Big Mouth You Have
Chapter Six: Uncontrollable Urges
Chapter Seven: Panic Attack
Chapter Eight: Hostile Takeover
Chapter Nine: Kill The Messenger
Chapter Ten: History Lessons
Chapter Eleven: Spirit of Vengeance
Chapter Twelve: What Sharp Teeth You Have
Chapter Thirteen: Eye of The Storm
Intermission: Back Story & Author Notes
Bonus Chapter: Be Still My Rabbit Heart
Chapter Fourteen: One Way to Greet an Old Friend
Chapter Fifteen: Irreconcilable Differences
Bonus Chapter: Let Me Be Your Shield
Chapter Sixteen: Hanging by a Thread
Chapter Eighteen: My Anchor, My Anger
Chapter Nineteen: It's a Family Affair
Chapter Twenty: A Council of Alphas
Bonus Chapter: The Banished Prince
Chapter Twenty-One: Behind Enemy Lines
Chapter Twenty-Two: Forget-Me-Not
Chapter Twenty-Three: Alpha of The Mountain
Chapter Twenty-Four: The King and I
Chapter Twenty- Five: Under Lock and Key
Chapter Twenty-Six: These Hidden Things
Intermission: Preview of Next Book
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Taste of Desire
Chapter Twenty-Eight: A Call to Arms
Chapter Twenty-Nine: All's Quiet on The Western Front
Chapter Thirty: The Welcoming Committee
Chapter Thirty-One: The Alpha's Arrangement
Chapter Thirty-Two: There's Always a Silver Lining
Chapter Thirty-Three: Questionable Motives
Chapter Thirty-Four: The Things We Are Running Towards
Chapter Thirty-Five: All Men Must Die
Chapter Thirty-Six: The Things We've Lost
Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Land of Blood and Bone (Part One)
Chapter Thirty-Eight: The Land of Blood and Bone (Part Two)
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Epilogue
Some A's For Your Q's

Chapter Seventeen: Terrors in The Night

54.5K 3.2K 261
By TeaNHeartache

I opened my eyes and I was laying on the hard concrete floor. My body sprung up quickly as I looked around me frantically. I was back in my cage, I was back in that place.

"No. No. No." I lifted my hands and pulled at my hair anxiously as I spun around looking for an exit but finding nothing. I raced toward the clear wall and bang my fist against, "Let me out! Let me out!" I bellowed as I continued to pound my hand against, causing it to shake and rattle. 

"You'll never get out of here love." A familiar voice taunted me. I spun around to see Kellen leaning leisurely against the wall staring at me with a wicked grin. There was a gaping hole in his throat where I had ripped him open, blood pouring from the wound. My eyes widened in horror and I pressed my back into the wall, "You're dead. I killed you..." I mumbled.

"Am I?" He questioned faintly as he disappeared before my eyes like a cloud of mist, evaporating into nothingness. My heart hammered in my chest as I tried to force myself to remain calm. 

"OPEN YOUR EYES!" His voice boomed in my ears making my body vibrate with fear. My eyes snapped open and I was no longer standing in my cell. I was standing in my childhood home staring down at the dead bodies of my parents laying in pools of blood. I scrambled back away from them with a loud sob. 

Strong hands caught my shoulders from behind, gripping them tightly. I screamed as I tried to pull away from my captor but they seemed to have an unbreakable strength, "Look at them Grace." I shook my head and closed my eyes as tiny sobs passed through my lips. The fingers dug into my skin painfully, "I said look at them!" The voice hissed venomously. I cringed but slowly opened my eyes, my body trembling like a leaf in the wind. 

"They're dead and it's all your fault Grace." Kellen pressed his lips to my ear.

"No—" I replied weakly, shaking my head.

"Yes Grace—They're dead because of you. You couldn't save them and you couldn't save yourself. You want to know why?" I felt my body sagging under the weight of his words as I stared at my parents.

"Because you're weak. Poor little Grace. You're a pathetic excuse for an alpha but don't worry I'll make you stronger. I'll rebuild you in my image. When I'm done with you people will quake at the sight of you..."His lips traced the line of ear to my jaw and I shivered in disgust. I wanted to kill him—rip him apart.

"NO!" I shouted pulling myself free from his hold. I stumbled forward and hit the ground. Pain raced through my veins as I rolled onto my back. I was staring up at a crowd of red eyes and sinister smiles full of sharp teeth. Clawed hands were reaching out towards me, gripping and tearing through my flesh as I tried to escape them. They were pulling me apart and no matter how hard I fought, I couldn't escape. 

I thrashed back and forth wildly as my mouth hung open in a silent plea for mercy. The numbness began to seep in through my limbs and I knew I was dying—I couldn't feel the pain anymore even if I could feel them pulling and tugging at me. Darkness was creeping in around the edges, growing closer and closer.

"Grace..." Kellen called to me from the shadows, "Poor weak pathetic Grace..." 

"Go to hell you son of a bitch—" I coughed weakly. Suddenly his face hovered over mine with a wild crazed look in his eyes as he stared down at me, "This is hell Grace!" He screamed in my face. His ghostly hand reached down into my chest and grabbed my heart. An earth shattering scream tore from my mouth and he laughed wickedly, "I'll drag you down with me if I have too—I made you after all! You belong to me!" 

I woke up screaming and thrashing in my bed, some invisible force was holding me down. I needed to get free—I needed to save myself.

"Grace!" A deep voice yelled to me, "Grace! It's only a dream!"

I tried to relax against the mattress, breathing heavily and blinking away the tears that fogged my vision. It took a moment for me to register that the hands holding me still were sending comforting warmth through my body. Silver was staring down at me with a tense expression, his lips drawn together in a straight line. I tried to hold back the urge to cry out as my mind resettled itself. As if he understood completely he gripped me tighter before pulling me up and into his arms.

I let out a surprised sound at the gesture but I sunk into his warmth after it wore off. I nuzzle my face deep into his chest seeking all the comfort that only he could give me. His arms were sturdy as they held me to him and his hand rubbed small circles on my back, "It's okay now—it was only a nightmare. You're awake and I'm right here with you." He whispered into my ear to reassure me that I was indeed awake now.

My arms moved up and wrapped themselves around his waist. I clung tightly to him, "Don't leave me..." I mumbled into his chest. His body tensed up at my words and I knew he'd heard me. 

"Shhh. I'm right here—" He whispered to me.

I pulled back a bit so that I could look up into his face. He met my gaze with gentle reassurance. His removed a hand from my back and placed it on my cheek, wiping away some stray tears with his thumb. I wanted to ask him what he was doing in my room, but I kept my mouth shut. As angry as I was with him for the things he had said earlier—I just wanted to forget about that for now. I wanted him close to me to drive away the pain and the fear. My need for his comfort far outweighed my need to be angry. 

He seemed to understand my feelings without my speaking them. His eyes searched mine for a moment before he let out a low sigh. Leaning forward he pressed his lips to my forehead in a gentle whisper of a kiss, "Come on, let's lay back down." 

I let him settle us back down on the mattress together. His arms wrapped lightly around me and my head nestled under his chin. I hadn't had someone hold me like this since I was a young girl, something I realized I dearly missed. A couple of tears sprang free but I kept myself quiet not wanting to ruin the moment.

"Close your eyes Grace." Silver said calmly pulling me closer, "I'll watch over you while you sleep."

I sucked in a breath and nestled my face into his chest not caring if it made me look weak or clingy, "Thank you..."

I think I feel his lips brush the top of my head, "You don't have to thank me Grace. You're my mate—I would do anything for you."

I close my eyes and accept the warmth of his body into mine. Slowly I can feel myself hanging on by a thread to my consciousness. Silver's soft even breaths like a sweet lullaby to my burdened soul.

"Forgive me Grace..." His words are barely audible but they cause my heart to clench tightly as I fall away into a dreamless sleep. 

I woke again to the sound of someone banging on my door. I groaned in annoyance as I rolled over in the bed. My heart jolt and my eyes open in awareness, I was alone in my bed. I sat up quickly and pulled myself out of the bed, moving quickly to the door. I flung it open to see Marshall looking at me with a worried expression, "Grace—"

My heart clenched tightly as if already knowing what he was about to tell me.

"Forgive me Grace..." He had whispered.

"Valerie and Silver are gone. We can't find them anywhere." He looked at me as if he was waiting for me to provide him with instruction on what we should do next. 

I swallowed the lump in my throat, "Stop looking for them. It's useless at this point—let them go..."

"But—"

"No! They wanted to leave—Well then let them." I growl before slamming my door shut. I laid my back against the wood and cover my mouth with my hand as a sob ripped free. 

He was gone.

He had left me.

I was alone. Again. 

------------------

Song: 'America' -XYlO 

A/N: *Hides behind computer expecting tomatoes to be thrown*  DON'T HATE ME!!!  

These were hard chapters to write okay because I love my Grace and my Silver, but they just can't be together right now. They need to fix themselves first before they can be right for one another. But like I said trust me, I know what I am doing and they will be together again--there won't be any weird love triangles or anything like that so remain calm. 

I hate to leave you all like this but I will update again soon. I promise. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

165K 3.4K 26
Wait he kissed me. What the hell was this? Who was this? And why did it feel so great? It took all my strength to push this guy off of me. He really...
47.5K 3.7K 47
J has her wolf back. She has a mate, a pack, a family. She even knows her name. Life has never been this good. And yet, she can't quite relax. Her m...
1M 42.5K 33
-COMPLETED- ~3 Years BEFORE Luna Hana~ The running never bothered her - she had run her entire life. From what? Nothing in particular...at least no...
3.9M 172K 49
Book three in 'The Bond Series' This book is Ryker and his mate's perspective of the war and past that:) ---------------------------- In a time of u...