Between Love & Deception

By akslate

*sequel to Running on the Beach at Night* It happens, the moment you grasp that your dreams are finally sitti... More

Between Love & Deception
Between Love & Deception (Prologue)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 1)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 2)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 3)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 5)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 6)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 7)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 8)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 9)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 10)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 11)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 12)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 13)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 14)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 15)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 16)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 17)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 18)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 19)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 20)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 21)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 22)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 23)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 24)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 25)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 26)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 27)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 28)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 29)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 30)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 31)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 32)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 33)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 34)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 35)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 36)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 37)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 38)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 39)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 40)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 41)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 42)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 43)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 44)
Between Love & Deception (Chapter 45)
Between Love & Deception (Epilogue)
Excert from Beau and Emma's spin off :)

Between Love & Deception (Chapter 4)

13.9K 220 24
By akslate

Chapter 4

            A few days had finally passed since the whole situation with Carter fell out. After countless numbers of emails, text, and missed calls I was still wasn’t ready to talk to him, in a civil tone of course.  If I hadn’t of walked out the other day, things would have gotten worse. Much worse than they already were.

            I paced the living room floor, while Beau was in his room playing. I had too much on my mind to talk to him. If I didn’t find Beau a nanny soon, I would be taking him with me on this trip. I looked down the list of my babysitters and realized that I had called all of them but one.

            Maria.

            I winced a little bit as I noticed her unmarked name. I could at least try right? My fingertips slowly punched over her numbers, and then I put the phone up to my ear.

            After a couple of rings, she finally answered. “Hello?” I heard her Spanish accent and immediately knew it was her.

            “Hello, is this Maria?” I asked skittishly.

            “Yes, why?” Her demanding tone was kind of creepy I thought.

I laughed nervously, and then started talking. “Maria, this is Samantha Smith. Beau’s mother.”

            Before I could even finish my introduction, she was sighing. “I know who you are. What do you want?”

            Her rudeness had really taken me by surprise; she didn’t have to be so mean. “I really need a babysitter for a couple of weeks over the summer. I know, you quit but I will pay you double.” I pleaded.  The thing was, I would only need a baby sitter a couple of times over the summer.

            My ears were filled with Maria’s cold laughter, “I wouldn’t babysit that child again if you paid me triple.”

            Now, I was starting to get pissed off. She had no right to be so rude to me. Before I could plead anymore she was talking again.

            “Look, I apologize for being so rude; but I can’t babysit your child anymore.

            I sighed, as I listened to her words. “Alright, thank you anyways.” I fell onto the couch as I hung up the phone, trying to think about what I could do. Nothing came to mind though.

            My conscious started taking over, thinking about just taking him along with me. What could happen so badly? My mother would be there to take care of him when I had to be at rehearsal, or the wedding. I was leaving in less than a couple of days and I had no plan.

            This more than likely meant that Beau would be seeing where I grew up. Oh, and possibly be meeting his daddy.

            Suddenly, my thoughts were blown by the banging on the door. I sighed, as I pushed myself up from the couch and walked over to the door. My eyes lifted to the peep hole to see Carter, standing there with both arms propped up on the door frame.

            I quickly moved away, trying to be quiet so I could avoid the confrontation.

            Once again, he was banging on the door. “Come on, Samantha. I know you’re in there.”

            Shit. I finally put my hand on the door knob and turned to open it up. There, Carter was standing looking like shit. His blondish/brown hair was messy and his blue eyes were tired. He must have just gotten done with practice.

            “Look, can we please talk?” Carter started moving, inside the door frame as I opened the door, letting him inside.

            I stood there, still in shock that he had the never to even show up over here. So, I nodded.

            Carter stood there for a long moment and then smiled a little bit. “Did you get an email from Izzy?” He asked quietly.

            Why is he not trying to apologize for the other day? I was confused at the fact but I pushed the confusion aside and answered him. “Yeah, did you?”

            He nodded, and then shoved his hands into his pockets. “People are expecting us to show up together.”

            I knew that. My mother had already asked if I was bringing Carter along. His mother was probably asking the same thing but I ignored his assumption. As I walked passed him to the kitchen, he followed.

            “Look, Samantha. Please say something to me; you know I didn’t mean what I said the other day.” Carter’s arms surrounded me, as I poured two cups of coffee for each of us.

            “Why did you say it then?” I asked.

            “I was angry at you. I wanted to marry you so bad, but you won’t have any of it. You don’t understand, I want to take care of you.” He explained.

            “That’s the thing Carter; I don’t need anyone to take care of me. Beau and I are doing just fine.” I finally turned towards his deep gaze, and sighed. “I am simply not ready for a marriage that I don’t even know if it will work.”

            “How will you ever know, if you don’t give it a try?” Carter asked as he took the cup from my hands. “I am willing to give you as much time as you need to think, but at least don’t leave me hanging like you have for the past five years.”

            “I told you I would think about it, and then I walked in on you screwing some other girl Carter. What does that look like to me?”

            “I admitted I was wrong about that. I am sorry for it.” Carter said softly while his eyes were seriously glowing. It was hard being mad at him.

            I nodded, “I don’t know if I can still consider it but I will try.”

            Carter’s face looked relieved, and then he smiled. “Thank you Samantha. I won’t let you down.”

            I nodded again, as I watched Carter sit the coffee cup down and pull me into a tight hug. “So, be my date?”

            I giggled a little bit, “Yes.” I hated being angry at Carter, but I couldn’t. I hardly had anyone else around here other than Grant and he was always too busy. I know, I was stupid for giving up on being angry with Carter so easily but he had a point. We were never official.

            “Hungry.” I heard a little voice coming from beside us; as I looked down to see Beau separating me and Carter.

            My eyes were filled with wonder, as he pushed Carter away from me. He had always loved Carter I thought?

            “Alright baby, I’ll make you something. Go watch some TV and I’ll bring it to you.” I ran my hands through Beau’s curly locks and then turned back to Carter’s confused face as well.

            I didn’t say anything until Beau was completely out of sight, “What in the hell was that about?”

            Carter shrugged his shoulders, “Looks like I’ve got some impressing to do. I’ll never get to marry you if Beau doesn’t approve.” I look in his playful smile and then laughed a little bit. Even though, he was right.

            Carter finally moved over to the bar, where he sat down and watched me cook for Beau.

            “So, what are you going to do with Beau when we leave? Since you lost your nanny.”

            I honestly didn’t want to think about that. I had no clue what I was going to do. “Right now, I don’t have a plan.”

            “Well, why don’t you bring him?” Carter asked curiously, which only made my heart flutter. Take him with me?

            “You know I can’t do that Carter. What about Danny?” I asked.

            “So what? I am pretty sure everyone thinks Beau is mine anyways. Except your mother. I don’t mind claiming him.” Carter was now watching me closely, and watching my facial expressions.

            “He just resembles Danny so much.” I said quietly.

            Carter picked up the picture of Beau sitting on the counter, “I am pretty sure I could pass for Beau’s father.”

            I finally looked over at Carter, curious at the fact he was pushing to be called Beau’s father. As I watched him, he pulled the picture up to his face and smiled the same goofy smile Beau was smiling. Come to think of it, Beau did resemble Carter in the eye area. They almost had the same blue eyes.

            I laughed as I watched him, “I mean, how are you getting to go to the wedding anyways when you have practice?” I asked.

            “Off-season, baby girl. We don’t start back practice until the end of the summer.” He explained. “I was thinking, this would be a good time to take a vacation and visit my parents. You could spend a couple of weeks with your mother.”          

            I nodded, as he was correct. I did want to spend a little bit of time with Izzy, and my mom.

            “And the whole Beau problem isn’t that big of a situation. We will tell everyone that Beau is mine and we are planning on getting married in the fall. Easy as that.” Carter sounded like he had it all planned out.

            I wince a little, “Carter, I am not marrying you in the fall.”

            Carter flashed me a sarcastic smile, “Well, they don’t know that.”

            I smiled at the fact that Carter was right, and always was. He was always the one that would come up with these devious ideas. This way, I would get in and out of there with no problems. I know, I had to act like Carter’s fiancé, but what would that hurt? We already acted that way anyways.

            It was only three weeks. Anybody could do that, right?

Danny’s Pov

            I was finally out. Medical School was over for me. I had graduated with honors, and I aced my finals. Soon, I would be starting my new job in Boston where I would be close to my family and friends.

            My mind wasn’t totally right as the plane landed in Boston though. I had a sick feeling in my stomach, like this wedding was going to be a disaster.

            I sighed at the fact that Izzy had already told me that Carter Nash and Samantha Smith had already RSVP’d to the wedding. That they were coming together, as dates.

I was finally off the plane, and I looked out the bay window at the airport to the small island in the distance. The place I grew up, and loved. It had been so long.

            I had a death grip on my bags at the thought of seeing her again. Most of me didn’t want to, but a tiny part of me was excited. I wanted to see her face when I walked in with a beautiful date on my arm that wasn’t her. I laughed a little bit, but then stopped as I ran straight into a beautiful red headed woman. She almost looked familiar, in fact.

            It was like I had seen her long legs, and slim body before. When she turned around with an angry face on, my mouth dropped. She was only familiar, because I knew her. I knew exactly who she was.

            Charlie McClain.

            She was only the woman that I had broken things off years ago. She was still beautiful as ever, with her huge smile on.

            “Daniel Bradford? Is that you?” I figured since the last time I saw her, I was breaking things off with her at the wedding that she would not be too happy to see me but I was wrong. Her smile became even broader as I nodded.

            “Wow, Charlie looking beautiful as ever.” I gave her a sly grin, and then pulled her into a hug.

            Her laughter filled my ears and then she started talking, “Home for Izzy’s wedding, of course?”

            “Yeah, how did you know?” I asked curiously.

            “Well, I am betting that your father made Izzy send an invitation to my family.” Charlie explained. I still didn’t understand though, Izzy’s wedding was still three weeks away. “I am on business until then though. We should get together while I am in town though.”

            I laughed, knowing she would want to hang out with me. Who wouldn’t? “Sounds good.” I answered, as I grabbed a pen out of my pocket and wrote my number down on her hand.

            As we parted, I laughed for a moment. Did my dad seriously think we had a chance? I knew for a fact that he was still dealing with Charlie’s family behind closed doors but he had another thing coming if it were true.

There was no way; I was never planning on getting married again.

I know, I know. Boring Chapter, but I am working it up. I really think that Between Love & Deception will be alot more dramatic as Running on the Beach at Night. I have alot in store for this story.

So, enjoy. What ever you doooooo......COMMENT/VOTE.

let me know how I am doing :)

Ohhhh did yall see Charlie coming back into the picture???------------> pic of her on the side ")

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

954K 18.6K 39
"I have a proposal for you, one which I know that you'll like." "Go on," she said. "I want you to be my fake girl friend, this way you'll also gain...
2.6K 1.3K 31
Having a best friend is one of the best feelings in the world. Knowing you have someone to count on for everything. People like Samantha and Aiden c...
4.5K 511 24
SECOND CHANCE ROMANCE / ROMANTIC SUSPENSE ⋆ They say you meet the same people on the way up and on the way down. In her wildest dreams and story plot...
23.1K 740 44
*UNDERGOING EDITING AND SMALL CHANGES RANKED #1 IN #DADSBESTFRIEND TROPE My gaze was fixed on Weston, wanting to look away so he didn't see me but...