The Night Shifts

By bleedonthepage

A group of shifters in the normal world... It's hard for them to fit in, until they find each other. No secre... More

Chapter 2: I'm Part of the Pack
Chapter 3: What's Going On Here?
Chapter 4: My Second Mate
Chapter 5: The Rebellion

Chapter 1: Life as a Shifter

42 3 8
By bleedonthepage

Hey guys, I've been planning to write this story but hadn't gotten to it until now, but I hope you like my new story, The Night Shifts. Not much else to say, so here's the story!
(Above is the characters, and Chipper does have green eyes, I just couldn't find a picture that matched)

Note: This chapter isn't the most interesting part of the book, and it isn't supposed to be, it's just here to start off the story. It gets way better in the following chapters.
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•
I hate moving. I've moved about 6 times my whole life, 2 of which I don't remember. This is the 6th. How far back do I remember? From when I was about 3. So yes, I'm pretty experienced with moving.

But in no way does that change how I feel, meeting all the new people when I go to town for groceries, or even when I was in school, meeting the other students and teachers and trying (Key word: trying) to remember their names. Within a few days I'd make a few friends, but ever since 6th grade I've stopped trying to make close friends. Why? Because now I know, at some point, I'm sure I'll have to leave them.

I live on my own now, so I control when and where I move, or even if I want to stay somewhere. But I've lost the ability to become close with my friends. In the back of my mind, I'm still that 12 year old girl leaving her best friend, telling myself never to let this happen again. So I started over.

I moved to a little town named Rosewood in California (if that's a real town in California it's not based off of it). There, I bought a house close to the woods, out in a rural area, and I decided I'd stay here, and I'd only move if I really really had to.

My name is Mackenzie Turner, but my friends have all called me Mac. I like it better, it's not as girly. I'm 22 tomorrow, March 16. I lived a decently normal life, except one thing. I'm a shifter.

My shift is a wolf, so some might call me a werewolf, but really it's just the most common shift. My wolf's name is Ria, and I got my ability from my awesome mom, a rogue by force. Her pack was mostly killed off, but she always said it was a great thing for her, because she found her mate, and she didn't have to follow the orders of an alpha anymore. She loved being free.

The shifters are becoming scarce though, and I've never met a single other one even with all my moving. I'd lost hope in finding my mate, but if he did come along he'd have to be somewhere in Rosewood, because I wasn't leaving. It truly is a beautiful little town, so I had no reason to leave it. I'd met some of the residents here and they're all nice and excited for my move, and I'd even made a few friends.

   As I walked through the front door of my new house I smiled. It was cozy, but actually quite spacious. It even had a loft up to an extra bedroom, along with the master and another guest on the main floor. The kitchen was nice, the living room had plenty of room, and it was beautiful outside, being so close to the forest. I wondered if there was a pack of shifters, most likely wolves, out there.

   I unpacked my things in my room, and watched some tv for a bit before deciding I should probably go out and eat. I decided I felt like Subway.

   I got into my truck, a midnight blue F150, and headed into town. I got in line, and then ordered my sub. As I paid I sniffed the air. I could smell... Something amazing. It was definitely werewolf, but there was also the smell of pines.

   I left with a smile on my face, taking deep breaths through my nose.

   'Mate!' Ria said.

   'Really?' I asked. 'Where is he?'

   'I don't know! Look for him Mac!' she answered.

   'Duh!'

   As I walked out I bumped into a guy about the same age as myself, but definitely taller. He looked about 6'4, and I was only 5'6. His hair was a perfect dirty blonde, and his eyes a stormy grey blue. He smirked at me. I couldn't help but smile back.

   "Hello there." he said.

   "Hi." I replied, turning around and walking back in to sit at a table. He sure didn't want to leave my side to go order, but I wasn't gonna stand with him when I didn't even know him, and I was sure he came here because he was hungry. So he stood in line to order, only looking away from me to step forward and to order.

When he finally finished and got his food, he walked straight to me, and I walked to the door with him. It was just then I noticed he had a few friends with him. Yeah, I was that focused on my mate.

One was a guy with brown hair and matching chocolatey eyes, and in comparison to my mate, he looked about 6'2. The other was a girl. I let out a small growl before reminding myself she could be a friend or the guy's mate. She had beautiful brown hair that looked like dark chocolate and dark, forest green eyes. She was beautiful, and I was instantly jealous. My hair looked colorless in comparison, and her eyes were gorgeous too. But what I was excited about was my handsome mate.

"What's your name? I asked, as we walked out.

"Aaden Pratt." He answered.

"Mackenzie Turner." I replied.

"I know Aaden's not gonna introduce us, but I'm Jayden Chaplin, and this is my twin sis, Chipper." The brown haired boy, or Jayden, said.

"Oh, uh, hi." I said, a little nervous. Will his friends like me?

"So, obviously you're Aaden's mate..." he said. Aaden blushed.

"Um, ya, so do you uh, wanna come to the pack house?" he asked.

"Of course." I replied.

Sounds like my new house won't end up being lived in much...

"Oh, um, my truck..." I said, remembering it.

"I can drive it back if you want." Chipper offered.

"Thanks Chipper.

"You can call me Chip if you want." she replied. I gave her a smile and handed her my keys. I hoped we could be good friends.

   When we got to I'm guessing Aaden's F-350, I climbed into the back, so Jayden might not feel a little left out. I swear I saw Aaden frown.

   We got to a giant house and I knew it was the pack house.

   "We have the new beta female!" Jayden yelled, jumping out of the truck.

   'So he's a beta...' Ria said.

   'Is that a problem?' I asked smiling at her.

   'Like I expected anything better than another rouge.' she replied.

   'A lone.' I corrected. I didn't like being called a rogue just because I wasn't part of a pack. I was a lone shifter, and that's all.

   'Yeah, lone, whatever, it's not really nature for me to call rouges-Lones.' I corrected again.

   'Whatever Mac, it's just not natural for me to call them that.' Ria finished.
   'Well in my opinion I'm glad he's not an alpha. Can you imagine how protective he'd be?'

   'Same.' Ria agreed with disgust.

   "Are you alright Mackenzie?"

   "Yeah I'm fine. And please call me Mac." Aaden smiled.

   "Mac. I like it."

   We got out of the truck and there stood yet another tall guy. He was probably around 6'6. He had jet black hair and he sure had the look of an alpha.

   "So you're our new female beta."
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•
Thanks for reading this story! It was sooo long I know, or at least it was for me because it took so long. Vote if you liked and comment for more! If you liked this then please check out my other stories, thanks!

Note: This has been edited for errors and has had a few small changes.

Unicorn_Of_Narnia

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 55.6K 51
When Orla gets into the Private Lupus University, she meets people who may not be people at all. As she learns to navigate a new world of supernatura...
68.6K 2.9K 20
*18+ Sexual/Violence Content Warning - Read At Own Discretion* A vicious smile touches his lips as he seems to read my intentions. "I knew it w...
6.2M 149K 41
Ariana Belle was the typical quiet girl. She was the weak link in the ferocious Crimson Pack. She was shunned by everyone except for two people, her...
129K 4K 65
❝ 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐟 𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐝𝐢𝐞, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐤𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐚...