Radicle (Terminal trilogy #2...

Par Crow-caller

Nichael is an angel. And that's all you really need to know about him- he follows the rules. He loves Michael... Plus

Landing
Character list [WITH ART!!!]
1: Unfellable
Dream skin
2: Hellbound
3: Holy names
Welcome
4: Lessons in astrology
Another night
5: Reminder/Remainder
Two marks
6: Caught in the air
Should be familiar
7: Unsettled
Others
8: Space for the night
9: The church
Sinners
10: Mindless chitchat
Chosen
11: The Blues and The Banes
Warlords
12: Without intention
13: Homebent
14: Neither heaven nor hell
Halved
15: Flare
The name
16: Bad luck running
The Grace files
17: Breaking the law
18: Refuge
19: Handwritten
Growing up
20: THE BOY KING
21: Moments later
Goddess of lilies
22: Ritual
Days later
23: Back to war
Ill sense
24: Tale of stardust
25: Fundamentally flawed
26: A heavy subject
A light pastime
27: Lawyers, guns, and money
28: The stars were falling
29: Amputation
30: Dead man walking
31: Faith without bounds
32: Skybox
33: After that
34: The siege
35: Reborn in blood
36: Approaching
37: The boy, lost
38: Out
39: In which there is a fire
40: Years previous...
Navigating Hell [Bonus chap]
Let's learn Angelic!?! [Bonus chap!]

Respite

21 5 0
Par Crow-caller

 I killed Alexander Scott a couple more times for good measure, but eventually accepted his offer of clothes. His prostitutes- though as I watched them, I realized they were likely just ex-prostitutes- had all been waiting in one of the side rooms. It struck me that they clearly had been ordered there by him, and that his apparent immortality might be a secret. If so, why was he forcing its existence on me?

I washed my face and ran my hands through my hair, as I usually did when I was nervous. It was still short, and I was so irately uncomfortable that I felt ready to burst.

He waved snidely as I got into the elevator and set out for the lobby. I had little doubt he had taken care of everything, probably for his own amusement- TC would be waiting for me, and the police would have been sent far away.

I stopped to retrieve the children. They were sort of messy and miserable now. I hated children, I decided, even if the idea behind them was noble enough. They had gone to sleep, but immediately started making noise when I picked them up. They still had blood on them, too, from leaning against me for so long.

Oh well. Who was going to notice?

TC was right around the corner when I stepped out of the elevator, and she approached with a bottled up feeling that suggested both relief and rage.

"What do you think you're doing?" She asked, taking in my new clothes and bloody children. "This is terrible. You're endangering everything and everyone around you. Hell, I'm probably going to get shot before I make it home."

"I know." I said. I had no difficulty admitting the problematic nature of my last few actions. But the end always justified the means. At least, that is, if it was a good end. "But you know, it hasn't exactly been a fucking cake for me."

She sort of smiled at that, and I suspected I had messed up my metaphors again. "You better hurry. I absolutely hate everything about this, I'd like to note, but I guess I'm stuck supporting your actions either ways. Even if they do involve endangering infants. Speaking of..." She gestured for me to hand her a child, and I gave her the older.

"God, they are heavy. What are their names? And uh, whose are they? Why do you have kids with you again?"

"They're Moll's, they're disgusting halfbreeds, and Michael wants both of them. Their names are Wynona and Beta."

"Terrible names." She muttered. She seemed to have some very basic knowledge of child care, luckily, and was examining Wynona with careful eyes while she walked.

"They're numbers." I explained. We were off walking vaguely in the direction of the elevator out of here, I guessed.

"No, they're not." Again, I suspected she wasn't really listening to me. "These kids are in for a life of trauma, I'd suspect. Okay, maybe not the baby. But this one- Wynona?- may be effected by... whatever provided this blood."

"Most of that is mine." I said. "But I have killed about seven demons today. And Marie Newman, the Gemini. That wasn't my fault though. Real shame. She was shaping up to be a potential ally, what with her knowledge of medicine and the like."

"You killed one of The Few? Jesus Christ." TC sighed. "I really don't know what I'm supposed to do about you. Give up? I'm starting to think I ought to."

"Please do."

"I'm still pissed off though."

"I am much more angry. Did you know Alexander Scott, your leader, cannot die? I am currently very upset about this very fact."

"Bullshit." She yawned. It was sort of frightening, actually, how little she seemed to care about these events.

"I have killed him five times today. These clothes are his, actually." I gestured to the outfit I was wearing. It was probably expensive- the cloth felt quite fine, though it was too tight for my personal preference.

I realized there was a paper in my- his, really- pocket when I heard it crinkle. I took it out. It was nothing more than a note written on lined paper. I could not read it though- the letters were strangely drawn out. I handed it to TC.

"We call this cursive." She remarked, mockingly. "Someone payed attention in third grade... oh. Fuck! Jesus fuck Nichael. Why the hell would you- Eug. Whatever. This note basically reads 'You have an hour before I send a bunch of hellhounds to kill you. The both of you. I know where you are, and where you're heading.'"

"An hour is a lot of time." I said.

But TC was cursing wildly. "Goddamn it, Nichael, I fucking live here. And now I'm going to get torn apart by hounds if I try to come back."

"Sorry." I offered with a shrug. "Though he doesn't say anything about it being a permanent death sentence. Maybe if you come back tomorrow, he'll let you stay? He's mostly trying to kill me, after all."

She groaned. "I happen to have a life. God. I need to get my files. I need to get my fucking files! Come on, we're going to have to move fast."

She literally dragged me in a different direction, set to head to Envy and it's library.

"Are we going to be on time?"

"Oh, who knows. I just need to get these files. And read them to fucking you, so at least I'll have that milestone cleared out before my untimely death."

"You can stop being vague."

"We both know you're not going to believe anything I care to say to you that doesn't validate your own opinions. I just hope a couple of very old papers will help rub in the truth for you."

"I am not easily persuaded by paper."

"Well, fucking suck it up. We're going to get those files. Anything else would be a travesty."

"You could try calming down."

"The files-"

"Okay, fine, whatever. Grab the files. I can maybe take on a hellhound if worse comes to worst. But calm down. I do not like seeing rage in others, especially when I'm still so angry myself."

"So we're both angry. Excellent. Hopefully at each other, as these things tend to go-"

"TC-"

"What?"

"Calm down. Tell me something about yourself. Very boring. Come on. What was yesterday like for you?"

"Yesterday?" We were still walking quite fast, so her words were quite chocked, even under a false calm of a voice. "Yesterday you were getting kicked out of Hell. I read to you part one of the Grace file. You left."

"After that?"

"I- I went to work, I guess. I'm a secretary at the hospital. I answer phones and do odd jobs. It's mostly, or entirely, voluntary to tell the truth. Just fills the hours."

"Anyone there interesting?"

"Interesting? Sure. Lots of old greying people. Most younger demons don't catch disease unless they brought it with them from Earth. There's two other volunteers besides me."

"Do you get along with them?"

"I barely know them." She admitted. "But there's this one girl I sort of have a crush on. Her name's Melody." She was keeping her sentences very short, I noted.

"What's wrong with her?"

"Absolutely nothing." TC said. "I've just never spoken to her. I mean, besides a couple 'hello's and 'how are you's. I think we had a two sentence discussion about our lunch while waiting in line once."

"Not much of a romantic feeling then if you don't even know her."

"Yeah, I guess, but she's so much more of everything. Like, a serious angel- I mean that in a not literal sense, by the way. She's a nurse, and she's so sweet and nice and caring about everyone. I feel kind of creepy, actually, just watching her all the time. But it's sort of hard not to."

I realized TC was blushing while she spoke, and I guess that meant there was some sort of genuine emotion behind her words. I laughed at her. "Ridiculous."

"Hey! We're near possible death here, and you first put me off subject by getting me to swoon over a girl, and then you laugh about it? Totally rude."

"At least you're calmer."

"No, I'm still pretty fucking pissed off about this whole nasty affair. I'm just now embarrassed in addition to angry."

"Hey, nothing embarrassing about emotions. Sinful, surely, and a terrible idea. But you're not an angel, so it doesn't really matter what you devote yourself to doing. None of your actions matter, actually. It goes hand in hand with damnation."

"These things would start to sound depressing and a tad cruel if I didn't already know they were all bullshit."

"Talk to the girl tomorrow. Ask her out on a romantically or sexually inclined evening. The usual trick to getting anything done is to at least pretend to have some confidence about it."

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

293K 16.5K 28
Lucy doesn't have any memories from when she was a child. All she remembers is the boy who saved her life, after she had been attack by a vampire. Y...
38 0 7
Welcome to Darwurth Academy! May the fates guide you! "Blah, blah, blah. Add cliche here. Add stereotypical jealous queen bee there. Bam, you've got...
4.8K 200 22
The Angel of Darkness, that's what she's called. The names Azriel and she is an angel...well she was until she got banned from heaven by her father...
2.8K 1.7K 37
Books Aren't Like The Real World Spin-Off (Oh BrEe WhYd YoU cHaNgE tHe CoNcEpT?!: Because I can.) ------- There's a legend that tells a tale of a gro...