Finding My Normal

By vm-pb-sn

After Sang's family died she was moved from foster home to foster home. She has finally found a new life wit... More

Ch 1: One Step at a Time
Ch 2: My First Friend
Ch 3: Tackling the Assignment
Ch 4: Porcelain Peek-A-Boo
Ch 5: Mall Adventure
Ch 6: Fountain of Gods
Ch 7: Academy Files- Sang on the Case
Ch 8: Sang in a Tree
Ch 9: A Birthday to Remember
Ch 10: Nightmare on Sang Street
Ch 11: Meeting Betsy
Ch 12: Proposals, Cheers and Red Gummy Bears
Ch 13: To Ask or Not to Ask
Ch 14: Front Seat, Back Set, Passenger Seat Driver...and Sang
Ch 15: Secret Admirer or Stalker?
Ch 16: Torn to Pieces
Ch 17: Cheer Hell
Ch 18: Meeko
Ch 19: A Night with Gabe Keeps the Worries Away
Ch 20: How Do You Spell Trouble?
Ch 21: Empty Hallways
Ch 22: Drop of Doubt 2.0
Ch 23: Sparks Ignite
Ch 24: Where There's Smoke
Ch 25: There's Fire
Ch 26: The Raven Was Called Sin
Ch 27: Sweet Dreams
Ch 28: Trouble's in Trouble. Again.
Ch 29: Owen vs. Sang
Ch 30: Face Off
Ch: 31 Within the Lines
Ch 32: Spy Girl Sang
Ch 33: I Spy an Amatuer
Ch 34: Confronting My Nightmares
Ch 35: Who is the Big Bad Wolf?
Ch 36: Private Eyes
Ch 37: Into the Woods
Ch 38: Sang's Balloon
Ch 39: May the Odds be Ever in Your Favor
Ch 40: Ghosts, Snakes and Panties Oh My!
Ch 41: From C to Shining D
Ch 42- Swing My Heart Across the Line
Ch 43: Kumbaya
Ch 44: Communication Intercepted
Ch 45: Déjà Vu
Ch 46: Breaking News
Ch 47: Working on Overdrive
Ch 48: Secrets
Ch 49: Rah-Rah-ah-ah-ah!
Ch 50: Tales
Ch 51: Happily Never After
Ch 52: En Prise
Ch 53: Family Fun Time
Ch 54: Happy Birthday to Me!
Ch 55: Wake Up Call
Ch 56: Trapped Ghosts
Ch 57: Things of My Nightmares
Ch 59: Kotov Syndrome
Ch 60: A Message From Volto
Ch 61: On the Hunt
Ch 62: Five Years Ago
Ch 63: Blindsided
Ch 64: Inside the Mind of Perfection
Ch 65: Sisters Grimm
Ch 66: Running Out of Time
Ch 67: A Mother and her Bird
Ch 68: The First Family Meeting
Ch 69: The First Betrayal
Ch 70: Caught in a Web of Lies
Ch 71: Friends vs. Family
Ch 72: Lessons Learned
Ch 73: Blank Space
Ch 74: The Accident
Ch 75: My Chance
Ch 76: Reflection
Ch 77: Silver Lining
Ch. 78: Play Time
Ch 79: Marie
Ch 80: Finding My Normal
Ch 81: Epilouge
Ch 82: Clues
Ch 83: Finding My Family

Ch 58: A Rose by any Other Name

2.3K 191 43
By vm-pb-sn

Two weeks later...

The day after my last dream I was on edge the entire time at school. After my encounter with Volto my imagination started running wild with the possibilities of what happened that day. Maybe someday when Volto finally reveals himself I will know for sure what occurred. Only then will I rest soundly.

The past two weeks have continued to be torture. Each night I dread sleeping out of fear my mind will recreate another way my parents died. One dream I multiple masked Volto's rush in to the scene of the accident and purposely push our car over the edge.  Two nights later I dreamed Volto was behind the wheel that crashed into my parent's car.  More often though Volto seems to help in my dreams-- pulling me out of the car.  In the most recent version, Volto didn't make it in time and I went over the edge and into the rocky water with my family. The only consistent part is the car going over the edge and Volto calling me Miss Sorenson instead of Anderson.

Each night the scenario changes, but each night Mr. Blackbourne appears as Volto. Is my subconscious trying to tell me something? Is this the answer? Mr. Blackbourne is Volto?  Or am I just stressed, terrified and making things up in my nightmares?

I thought a meeting with Volto would help me figure him out, but it didn't.  I still have questions and I'm even more afraid of him now that he admitted he wants to take me.  I sort of knew all along he wanted to take me, but for some reason I never thought it would happen.  He had stayed away for so long.  I knew he was out there, but I could feel him in the shadows, just outside my vision.  Ever since I started school and Ashley Water's he's stepped up his torment.  What triggered it?  Why now?  Why would he insist on taking me now when he's had plenty of opportunity in the past?

Am I even picking up the right clues as to Volto's identity?  I feel like I'm missing something important, but I can't put my finger on it.  I had narrowed it down to Jay or Mr. Blackbourne, but there is no defining piece of evidence pointing to either one. I need answers! I don't think I can take one more night of this.  Each night I have a nightmare is another chance my parents will hear me screaming or yelling.  It's one more chance they will want to help me.  I don't want more appointments with Dr. Roberts. I don't want my parents to find out and start worrying and fussing over me.  I know they mean well, but I just want all of this to stop.  I want Volto out of my life so I can be normal.  He's consumed me.  I don't know what's worse-- being afraid of Volto and staying inside for 5 years or all the nightmares I've had to endure the past two weeks.  

My friends have already noticed my change in demeanor these past weeks. The first few practices with Victor for the talent show were a waste of time because I was so distracted. He could tell I was stressed and offered to treat me to a spa day, but I couldn't let Victor spend money on me.

At lunch time the boys look sad when I don't talk much or I don't laugh when something is funny. I can tell they are worried and I do my best to mask it, but my dreams are consuming me each night leaving me drained the next morning.

I'm in the dress rehearsal for the talent show before the real thing tonight. Of course with Victor's amazing skills we made the cut. I can't say I helped much, my singing voice is mediocre at best. I've had to endure practice after practice with Mr. Blackbourne coaching me. It was the strangest thing having him teach me to sing. Strange because I was getting anxiety just being this close to Mr. Blackbourne, but at the same time I wanted to hear him sing. I bet his voice would be beautiful, but nope he never opened his mouth to sing, only to give me directions and pointers.

At one rehearsal he even brought out a violin and started playing with Victor. It was amazing to watch and I couldn't help but want to learn the violin too.

"Alright ladies and gentleman, that's it for dress rehearsal." Mr. Blackbourne's voice rings throughout the entire auditorium. "Please be back here tonight at 5pm sharp. The guests will begin to arrive at 6pm."

I gather up my backpack and Victor does the same with his things. "Princess? Can I talk to you a second?"

"Yes, Victor. what's wrong?"

"Oh, nothing's wrong I just.." He pauses shifting from foot to foot. I can tell he's nervous. "I wanted to give you this." He pulls out a small velvet box from his pants pocket and hands it to me.

I open it as he continues talking. "I wanted to give it to you earlier, but it took a bit more time to be made than I expected."

I'm speechless. Inside the box is a beautiful silver bracelet. The band is made of delicate interlocking links and in the center is a large heart adorned with one small rhinestone in the corner. Or is it a diamond? I sure hope it's just a rhinestone.

"Victor, I...it's beautiful, but you already got me a stereo for my birthday." I tell him confused as to why he's giving me another gift.

He blushes and puts his hands in his pockets. "I know, this is a present for being my partner in the talent show. It's like a good luck charm." He glances into my eyes and I can see the fire in them smoldering. "Will you wear it?"

"Yes, thank you Victor. I'll never take it off." I tell him. I hear him mumble "good" under his breath as he takes the bracelet out of the box and puts it on my wrist. It's a perfect fit.

---------------------The Talent Show------------------

I'm back stage and I'm fidgeting with the bracelet Victor gave me. I thought I could do this. I thought I would be okay going on stage with Victor and singing in front of everyone, but I can't. My nerves are getting the best of me.

Just this past summer I hadn't left the house in five years and now a few months into the school year I'm participating in a talent show!!

"Next act, Jingle Bell Rock, you're up!" Dr. Green calls as he reads from his clipboard.

I have yet to see Mr. Blackbourne. He didn't show up when all the acts arrived earlier tonight. I guess he had an emergency or something and Dr. Green is taking over.

I know the order of the show and after the cheerleaders do Jingle Bell Rock, there is a Twilight parody and then some of the football guys are lip syncing to the Backstreet Boys and last but not least Victor and I will perform.

We're the last act and I think we can just bail. The football guys would be a good finale right? No one will miss us. Except my parents. I look out around the curtain and into the audience and see my parents sitting in the second row, Henry even has a video camera ready to go.

They were so happy when I invited them to watch me. I was worried about all four of my dads showing up with Lily together; none of my friends really understand our family quite yet. They offered to sit separately to avoid any problems, but I couldn't make them do that. I figure no one will really ask as long as they don't partake in any PDA with each other. Most people will just think they are family friends or relatives.

I look just past my parents about four rows up and see my friends. Kota, Nathan, Luke, Gabriel, Silas and North are all here to support me as well. I was surprised when Gabriel showed up at 5pm today. He brought with him a beautiful dress with matching shoes and then he did my hair and even put a little bit of makeup on me.   I kept asking him where he got the dress, but he told me it was a secret. After he gave Victor a smirk, I knew Victor had bought me yet another gift.

I can't let them down. My parents, nor my friends. Of course I know they would understand if I couldn't go on stage, but just the thought of backing out after they made the effort to be here is upsetting.

I must have been lost in thought for a long time because before I know it Dr. Green is calling our act.

"Last act, Turning Tables, you're up!"

Victor takes my hand in his before we walk out on stage as the football guys head off. "Ready, Princess?"

I take a deep breath and nod then walk onto the stage with Victor. He takes his seat behind the black grand piano and I take mine at the microphone next to him.

He begins the song and look out into the crowd. I spot Mr. Blackbourne in the front row just as my cue to begin passes. Why is he in the audience? I panic, my voice is frozen and I'm not sure what to do. I look over at Victor and he gives me a reassuring nod and starts over giving me a chance to take a breath and make my cue this time.

After that first hiccup everything else goes perfect. We finish the song and the auditorium cheers and I see my parents and my friends standing, which in turn triggers everyone else to give us a standing ovation as well. I don't think it's deserved though, Adele sings better than me. Like way better, Sang!

Victor and I take a bow as Dr. Green wraps up the show and thanks the audience for attending. We rush off stage smiling and laughing. Now that the show is over I'm actually relieved and kind of proud that I did it.

"That was amazing, Sang!" Victor says as he gives me a hug.

"I'm sorry about the start, I got scared for a second." I try apologizing, but Victor's not having any of it. He shakes his head and gives me another hug.

"Miss Anderson?"

I stiffen at the sound of Mr. Blackbourne calling me, his spring soap scent permeating the air around us. I turn and stare at his dark grey tuxedo and matching grey tie. Out of the corner of my eye I see Victor move away from us and start talking to his parents who have pushed their way to the back of the stage.  His parents look mad and I want to go and take Victor away from them, but the perfection in front of me has me curious.

"Yes?" I ask him.  As I stand here close to him I can smell something else in the air. At first I don't recognize it, but it's making my skin crawl.

From around his back he brings out a bouquet of Chrysler Imperial roses. That's what the smell was, the heady scent of roses that I have come to associate with Volto.

I stare at the roses, then stare at Mr. Blackbourne holding them out. My eyes dart back and forth between the two not comprehending what this all means. Is this my final confirmation? Why aren't there twelve roses? Was he too cheap to buy a dozen? Why doesn't he just come out and tell me he's Volto? Is he trying to woo me so he doesn't have to take me by force?

All these thoughts are running through my head and I barely catch what he is saying. "...one day you will come to see the truth of where you belong, Miss Sorenson." He holds the flowers out to me and as if my body has a mind of it's own, my hands take them.

Where I belong? He keeps insisting I belong with him. I'm never leaving my family. And my real name!?!  Only someone who has known me before I was adopted will know my real name.  Only Volto.  I can't confront him though because I see my friends and family coming around the corner backstage. Mr. Blackbourne turns to leave before they spot him.

"Babykins!! That was amazing!" Lily gives me a hug and hands me more flowers in her namesake. Kota also brought me daisies while Luke brought me a box of chocolate.

After saying goodbye to my friends my family takes me home. I try to act normal so they don't think anything is wrong. The ride home gives me a chance to think. And the one thing I've decided so far is that I'm scared. Volto has gotten too close to me multiple times and I don't want to just wait for him to take me. I'm going to finish my recruitment assignment tonight and then tell my parents about Volto and ask them for help tomorrow.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

47.8K 3K 16
Sang is a popular girl who is about to graduate. A terrible accident changes her life forever. She meets 9 beautiful guys who help her through everyt...
148K 9.9K 45
An Academy/ Ghost Bird Fanfic. Inspired by the characters and story by C.L. Stone. This story contains characters that are similar to the Ghost Bird...
19K 848 40
A young girl named Sang Sorenson has had a rough life. Since she was very little, all she can remember is pain and suffering. She does not really rem...
160K 9.1K 22
Your prospects are limited when you don't exist, but Sang Sorenson has been getting by as a cashier in a grocery store after dropping out of high sch...