Lopsided Halos

By night_flower3

Leila Mathews is a girl who's life is about as complicated as the United States Federal Tax Code (73,954 pag... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9

Chapter 6

12 1 0
By night_flower3

Smith surprisingly held my stare, and I could almost feel a pull towards him. It was as if we were magnets, and I so desperately wanted to increase our proximity...To feel him, smell him, tas-

Okay Leila, enough hormones for you. I raised my eyebrow in silent question at the seemingly 24-year-old. He was clear from any stubble, unlike this morning, and his hair seemed like he had run his fingers through it all day.

He was hot hot hot.

When I was done checking him out, he seemed to have a look of curiosity in his eyes. I rolled mine, turning back around to face my dad. He seemed worried. I shook my head, answering his previous question of whether I knew him or not.

"That's weird because he seems to know you."

"No, he's probably just waiting for someone else and watched me to pass the time." The lie rolled right off my tongue, making me feel a little guilty. I've lied so much to him, I don't even know what's true anymore.

Thankfully by that time, our food had come, because I was about to eat the whole basket of bread in the center of the table.

I was right about the food being delicious, and it definitely wasn't just because I was hungry.

"Is he still staring?" I asked my dad.

"No, I think he left." His response was concerning me because I could still feel his gaze on my back, and I could still feel the pull. He must be in the bathroom.

Wanting answers, and having to use the bathroom as well, I excused myself. "I'm just going to go to the bathroom, I'll be back." He nodded and continued eating his meal. The bathroom was on the other side of the restaurant, so my dad wasn't able to see me.

As I neared the bathroom, I saw a figure lurking in the shadow by the women's bathroom. I sighed.

Do you always have to be shady? I mind linked him.

Death shook his head, pointing to a door a few feet away from the girl's bathroom.

What?

Go in there, I will explain things to you later.

I nodded, drama queen.

Making sure no one was watching, I opened the door quickly and shut the door, only to be slammed against the wall next to it.

I screeched, a hand quickly covering my mouth, sending tingles everywhere he touched.

I had to suppress a moan. God, I'm awkward.

He shushed me, looking at me with cold eyes, and released his hand from my mouth.

"What the hell was that-"

He cut me off, asking, "Who sent you here?"

I looked around the room, realizing it was some sort of storage room for food. There were shelves of tomato sauce and cheese, reminding me of what I was currently leaving behind at my table. It was also very cramped, and his towering 7-foot muscular build wasn't helping.

I looked up at his lips, realizing I would have to jump or levitate myself to his lips to reach them.

"I just had to use the bathroom."

"No, not here. Who sent you to this town?"

"My dad." He growled that sexy creepy growl of his, sending butterflies to my stomach.

Holy crap.

"Don't play innocent with me, what alpha sent you?" I had a moment of confusion before I finally connected the dots, and damn did they make a scary picture.

"Umm I'm not really into BDSM, I think I would be more of a dominant anyway..."

He looked at me like I had grown two heads.
"There's something wrong with you, really." I raised my eyebrows in shock.

"Says the guy watching me eat ice cream in the woods!"

He growled again. "Do not talk to me like that." The command in his tone was so powerful, I practically bowed my head in submission.

He still had me pressed against the wall, so I pushed him off, surprised by the amount of force I had to use. He did not have normal strength.

He was shocked as well, but I didn't have time to explain myself because I was about to pee my pants. I practically ran out of there and into the bathroom, cursing death as I relieved myself.

I'm just glad I did my makeup well today.

~*~

Later that night I sat in my room, doing some calculus homework that my witch of a teacher assigned.

I was also waiting for death to explain to me what the hell was going on.

Finally, I felt the bed dip next to me and was greeted by the man himself.

I looked over at him, realizing he was in his human form.

He was very tall, kind of lanky but muscular, and looked about 27. He wasn't though, He was thousands upon thousands of years old. So old he doesn't even know how old he is.

He was attractive, his high cheekbones and dark hair making him sexy in a mysterious kind of way, but I never saw him like that. He was more of a father or mentor figure to me if anything.

Not sure if my dad was awake or not, I whispered "Okay, spill. What's going on here?"

He smirked, shaking his head. "You won't believe it, but you, my angel, are in a town full of werewolves."

Oh my god, I was way off. BDSM? Really Leila?

I laughed. "Seriously? Why haven't they kicked me out or tried to kill me yet?"

"Well, first of all, they wouldn't be able to. They may be strong, but you are stronger than the whole pack combined. You could also literally lift them all up with your telekinesis. You really are indestructible, which is why I like to stay on your good side." I rolled my eyes.

"But they don't know that! They all think I'm human. And what was up with you telling me to go into the storage closet?"

"Hey, don't blame me. Fate told me to tell you."

"Why?"

"Because. She didn't tell me why. What was in there anyway?"

I then went on to explain Smith, the weird event in the woods, and the closet.

His eyes went wide, "Wait, are you talking about Tyler Smith?"

I shrugged, " Maybe. Brown hair, brown eyes, huge. Smells like a minty forest..."

I swooned.

"Leila, that wasn't just some werewolf you were talking to, he was the alpha, and based on what you felt towards him, I'm guessing..."

"What? Tell me!"

"Leila, you are the Alpha's Mate."

Wait a minute.

"You are joking."

"I'm totally serious right now."

"So like his..wolf soul mate? But I'm not even a wolf."

"True, but you are as strong as one, and therefore are able to bare through the mating process."

Okay ew.

"But that's...Not possible. I'm practically dead, I'm gone at night, I don't sleep. I would be a horrible mate! And Luna? Even worse. No, I will have to reject him."

"I don't think that's a good idea."

"Did you know he stays out in the woods in the back yard at night? Crazy. I mean it's adorable, but...No."

"You are his mate, it is only natural for him to watch over you."

"So...What do I do man?" I asked, leaning my head on his shoulder.

He lightly peeled me off of him. "Stay out of trouble, try to make friends...I don't really know. I guess we will have to play this by ear. He should have marked you by now, I really don't know what he is doing. But what I do know, is that there are a lot of people who are in need of you, so let's go."

I sighed, shifting into my angel form.

~*~

Beta Jake's POV

"Everyone settle down." The loud, incoherent ranting of the large crowd slowly settled down. They diverted their attention to me, looking up at the platform that I stood on before them.  

"Now, I understand you all have your questions and concerns regarding the new human staying in our town, and I am willing to answer these for you." I looked at the crowd. They all seemed worried, some even angry.

I called on first the women, Karen, with two children by her side.

"I am just curious as to why we have a filthy human living among us who could possibly expose our secrets to the rest of the human world. We have never had problems with humans before, and that is thanks to our no-human policy. Why is this young girl and her father an exception?"

"The alpha and I have thought that over as well, but we have come to know that they are of no concern to us. Regardless, we will be keeping a close watch on them. This particular human family has no connection to the outside human world, and are not a threat to our secret. We have told your children around her age to leave her alone and to ignore her, as it will be best for the pack." I myself do not understand why the Alpha has chosen to let them stay, but it is not my place to question the Alpha.

The next concern came from an older man, "What if this human happens to see one of us in our wolf form, what then?" I raised my eyebrow at his tone, and he lowered his head in submission.

"The Alpha has this under control, I would not worry. She lives on the outer edge of these woods, where our pack should not be running anyways. For now, don't worry about that. We will face that problem when it surfaces, and I am sure the alpha would have no problem...Getting rid of this issue if it ever does surface. Any other questions?"

There were none. "Meeting adjourned." The crowd dispersed, leaving only me and my mate, Jane, behind. She smiled at me, her green eyes holding pride as I ran over to her, my hands finding her waist and lifting her lips to mine.

My passion for her burned just as strong as it did six years ago when we met. She pulled away, smiling up at me again. "You were great up there, Jake. Very helpful."

I smiled back, "Thank you. Some of those questions were hard to answer, I cannot quite rationalize Smith's choices to keep the human myself."

She frowned. "Why do we all keep referring to her as The Human. She does have a name you know, and she didn't seem to be of any threat according to what the students said today. Well, aside from her flipping them off." She then laughed, the sound coursing joy through me. " If they keep ignoring her like that I would not expect her to stay very long, she is going to become lonely."

I shrugged, but agreed. "The only person that I care about being lonely or not in this pack is you."

She blushed, using her fiery red hair to cover her pink cheeks, "You cheeseball."

~*~

When I was certain she was sleeping, I kissed my mate's forehead and slowly crawled out of our grey printed quilt. I then grabbed my clothes off of the floor and slipped them on, jogging down the hardwood stairs of the pack house and out the doors, thankful the walls were soundproof.

I needed to find Tyler, and I had a pretty good idea where he was. He said he was checking borders, which is why he didn't show up to our late night meeting, but I knew different.
As I got closer to the woods, I stripped once again and put my clothes in my mouth, shifting into my wolf form and breaking into a sprint toward the human's house.

It was dark, but I used my night vision to dodge branches, the forest trees whizzing by me in a blur. My silver wolf was just glad to be out and running, his excitement fueling my energy as I quickened the pace of my paws crinkling dead leaves and grass against the forest floor.

I slowed my sprint to a jog, nearing the house. I could smell Tyler, so I knew my suspicions were correct.

I changed back into my human form, putting on the clothes I brought with me.

As I neared his form, I stopped, catching sight of my Alpha with tears in his eyes. 

~*~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

137 0 108
Alpha's daughter by title yet Omega by rank Leila Briar has had a difficult life. Alongside trying to heal from her family's murders she is the ridic...
8.7K 789 66
Ryan King is an Alpha desperately trying to hold his pack together. Between the blood thirsty enemy packs wanting to take what's his, a council that...
66.4K 4.2K 26
Being the Alpha isn't easy. Having to oversee over 800 wolves isn't effortless. And ruling without a mate by your side is torture. Luka Holden Garre...
122K 5.1K 44
"He can die 'cause we haven't had sex?" I say as the weight of what she's just told me hits me like a ton of bricks. "The longer the Alpha stays in t...