The Rift Trials

By BeyondWriting01

When man becomes too powerful for his own good the results can be catastrophic. That's what happened during t... More

Chapter 1: Earth
Chapter 2: Dreailight
Chapter 3: Earth
Chapter 4: Dreailight
Chapter 5: Earth
Chapter 7: Earth

Chapter 6: Dreailight

68 3 2
By BeyondWriting01

Recap:
Gemini had stumbled upon the pool of mystical waters by the guidance of Shadow, our still unknown character. As she marveled upon its swirling waters a Knight of her husbands army finally found her calling her husband to his side.

~

Gemini sat in her husbands arms, his warmth wrapping around her like a blanket, his love comforting her. Sangrid and his men had found her alone by a pool of darkened water, a pool she claimed to be clear and bubbling. He had assessed the situation and deemed her unwell, although she felt and looked perfect, there was no way she could be in her right mind. Taking her back to the castle was fine in silence, her head hung low in sadness. He did not know what to say.

"Gemini... I cannot in my right mind believe you."

She was hurt by his continual unbelief, "then please, do not be in your right mind! If that's what it takes then you must believe me! The shadow, he knew! He knew of our passed, about your brother, about..."

"Stop, you were alone and probably afraid." She relaxed a little. "Our minds are dangerous, they can trick us, make us seen things that are not, in order to protect yourself you must be vigilant and strong!"

She sighed in sorrow, "no matter what I say I see you will never believe me," she turned her head facing his, "must you see everything to believe?" She gently kissed him then pushed herself off from his chest, "some things you must believe in, even though you cannot see." She smiled and left his presence walking off to their room. Her footsteps echoed on the stone floor the muffled as she trashed the oak wood stairs, the dark wool accented the light stone and brick architecture and she ascended. The stairs led to a large balcony over looking the main hall inside the castle, it wrapped around the entire circumference of the room allowing everything to be seen. Along the balcony were many doors, each led to its own room, some for the servants and others for royalty or appointed figures of the house of the oak tree. She passed the main balcony and continued up another flight of stairs finally leading to her own room.

In the middle of the main hall was hung a giant flag of their house crest, the oak tree with several stars wrapping around it. It was made by her husbands father and his father before him. One of the most powerful houses in Dreailight. 

Sangrid sat alone, the fire before him began to die as a maid entered bearing more fuel for its hungry flames. She knelt down placing the wood carefully atop the dying flames. She stood brushing her apron of the dust. "Is there anything you would like my lord?"

He smiled, her bright face reminded him of his family, his sister was almost a complete match with her. "No, you may take your leave." Her face brightened as she quickly bowed and rushed off, eager to get to bed for the remaining hours of sleep before the following day began, it would be soon as the sun was already rising.

He rested his hands on his chin, nothing was making sense; the light, his wife's words, the supposed person stalking her in the woods.

"Shadow," he whispered, "where have I heard your description before." Sangrid stood making his way to a flight of stairs leading down to the study, a place full of ancient books and scrolls. Something must be there, a glimpse, a few stray words, a shadow. His footsteps echoed on the cold floor and against the walls of the narrowing corridor, his rhythmic sounds soothing his thoughts. At the bottom a dull brown door awaited him, a light of gold shone under its cracks and flaws. It wasn't a sturdy door, but it wasn't meant for that, too keep others out, only welcome. He grasped the handle and opened as it creaked its rusted hinges.

Sangrid smiled in satisfaction, "I will find it here, there has to be something."

The room was already well lit by torches that lined the walls and ends of each row of shelves. Thousands of books were placed neatly along the shelving, their names and topics grouped together for an easier time. At the end of the long corridor sat an old man cloaked in a brown robe, it's pattern of swirling orange fire and magic. "Welcome my King, what brings you here at this hour?" His voice was raspy and slow, the mark of many years spent learning wisdom and knowledge.

"Eziah, you know me well." Sangrid smiled.

Eziah looked up from the book he had been reading, it's pages frail and old, hundreds of years had passed since its creation. "I do," he said as a smile crept across his face, "although it has been too long, you early come here anymore."

Sangrid made his way over to the old man, his face solemn, "yes, it has been long, I regret it. There are answers I should have known but now seek."

Eziah closed the book he had been reading, gently resting it's pages. Grabbing another book he stacked it atop and opened its contents. His eyes scanned the pages of black ink, the penmanship of that of older days, years, century's ago. Sangrid watched as he lightly turned each page, his eyes darting back and forth searching.

"You seek an old legend, shadow."

"So it is real!?"

"Some say it is, others say it's only a tale of old." Eziah handed the book to Sangrid, his fingers held a page open as he took hold. A drawing of a shadowy figure, it's form mostly human. His body was warped by most that ran by him, it's face was hidden by a hood. Sangrid looked to the right of the page and read.

The Shadow Beings
Last seen was unrecorded  but estimated to be a thousand years ago. This may be incorrect by the recent reports by nearby townspeople.

"That was written many years ago, even then there were reports of its existence."

Sangrid looked back to its picture, the fear now beginning to rise. "We're there any incidents?"

Eziah nodded to the book.

These beings were first seen on the beginning of this world by the ancient lords who stepped here. They were seen as a people, those that live in the darkest parts, some say they are still existent, watching our every move.

Before the wars started the shadows were friends of the lords, but once the lords turned against each other they suddenly vanished. Never to be seen.

A hundred years passed without sight, nothing in the forests, it seemed empty. It remained until a boy of 20, the son of lord Gala..."

Sangrid raised his eyebrows, "my kin?"

"Yes, his name was Dreamor, an unwise son at best, his father warned him only he never listened."

Sangrid continued to read.

He ventured into the forest in search of the beings, he never returned. His unwise actions of drawing the beings out by setting the forest ablaze, their home. The fires never lasted long and were put out by his fathers soldiers, when they searched for his son, they never found any trace. It is said that the Shadows took him. After that incident people began reports of swing things, shadows following them, watching their every move.

A chill ran down Sangrids back, his hair standing on end. "Is this true?"

Eziah took the book and sat back down studying it's pages, "it's hard to say, there are many legends that sound like truth, this could very well be one of them. However, something I've learned over my years, never take anything too lightly, no mater how ludicrous it sounds."

Sangrid bowed, "thank you Eziah, I will take this into consideration." He nodded as Sangrid walked out.

Sangrid pondered what he had read, although there had been much more to read he knew there was one thing to do first, he needed to talk to his wife. With the possibility of a shadow following her their Kingdom, or worse her own life, could quite possibly be in danger. He hurriedly closed the study door with more force than he intended causing several books to fall from the shelves inside. He squinted as they fell onto the tables and floor below. Shrugging it off he quickly ran up to their bedroom, the one place in the kingdom he loved the most, the only time he and his wife were not escorted or watched constantly. Behind him followed his guards, they stayed for the most part out of sight, they always watched him, his elite fighters. He opened his chamber door and stepped in gently closing the door behind with a soft click.

The room was dark except for the little light provided by a single candle, it's light cascading upon the bedside where his wife sat. She held a book on her knees which were covered by a blanket leaving her upper body exposed. She wore a thin shirt that reflected the light by its silver materiel. He smiled and sat beside her, her face stared at her book, her eyes darting between each row of words.

"Gemini," he whispered. She looked up with bright and sorrowful eyes, "I'm sorry I did not listen, the thought seemed so..." She kissed him, "Thank you, I know how it must sound to you. I didn't say it with much consideration, I shouldn't have said it in front of everyone." He kissed her in return, "but by this I think we may be uncovering something I should have uncovered a long time ago."

"How do you mean?" She said with concern, she laced the book beside her on her bedside table then turning back towards her husband.

"I visited Eziah, he showed me of this being you spoke of."

"This was no being, it was human." Gemini said with uncertainty, she was almost positive that it had been a human, the branches and other growth had moved and cracked, the mist moved with him, no being would have the trouble of walking through.

"According to the legends it is a group of creatures, of legend and time. They were last seen over a hundred years ago, there is no way, it all just doesn't make sense..." They were both quiet for some time, both not knowing if what she saw was truly there or in her imagination.

"What exactly did you see?" She sighed, turning her head towards the window she stood and walked over. The morning sun was beginning to rise shedding a golden glow upon the forest and tips of the trees.

"I can say this with a pure heart, I was followed by someone who moved with the shadows of the forest, he spoke telling me of his name, Shadow, and many other things, things I do not yet understand, words of rifts between worlds..." She trailed off remembering his words, "he mentioned him."

Sangrids eyes flashed with a hate and malice, but only momentarily.

"But only that, nothing more. Shadow mentioned about the door he once spoke of, the door between each world. Somehow I feel connected to it, like a part of me is missing."

Sangrid moved next to her hugging her from behind. "I can feel a change Gemini, a change I cannot see the outcome to, I feel it will be a good change for our kingdom, but I also feel it may leave it in destruction." He moved away holding onto her hand as he climbed in bed, she followed climbing in next to him. "Let's try to get some sleep before we are needed, at least a couple of hours." She smiled as she snuggled up next to him. She could feel it as well, a change, a feeling of sorrow and happiness all mixed together.

~

Shadow, what did you think of him? Or it.. We still don't know what he is ;)

What will happen next? Is this change they speak of, will it turn for good or evil? 

I hope you all enjoyed thins one! Please comment and vote of you indeed did :) Love you all!

Aiden.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.6K 1.7K 27
When ten teenagers living a regular life found a mysterious book while walking home from school.They brought it in and it looked like the book hasn't...
75 8 20
A post apocalyptic shifter series that includes fated mates. ___________________________________________________ Seventeen years ago, one irresponsib...
2.4K 347 51
Two girls fighting for survival, in a destroyed world. A world where people eat each other and are beyond recognition. Can they trust each other? wil...
1.5K 51 11
This world has always been destined to end, people always try desperately hard to live, Wattpad from the olden days created a world where people coul...