The Girl in the Glade // Twin...

By teenwolfgirl90

[CURRENTLY BEING EDITED] Clara is a simple girl trying to survive. Her new life finds her among roughly 50 b... More

one
two
three
four
five
six
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
Author's Note
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty

seven

2.5K 45 26
By teenwolfgirl90

A/N: Please read! This chapter begins with a dream that Clara's having just so everyone knows! This chapter is a bit shorter than the last so I might post the next one today as well. Can you say double update?! Hopefully! *Crosses fingers* Also, this chapter contains spoilers for the Death Cure!

The white light above blinded me and I blinked several times trying to get my eyes to adjust to no avail. There were faces hovering over me of people in masks, wearing white lab coats. Their faces were blurry as they looked down at me and they appeared expressionless. I could barely hear their muffled voices above the noise of machines around me but regardless I can't make out their words. I felt something prick my skin but it didn't hurt, my brain didn't register any pain. I was beyond pain at that point. I turned my head and saw the boy lying on the table next to me. He looked familiar in a way but I couldn't see his face, just a head of blond hair that sent chills down my spine as the panic settled in my chest. Newt.

I awoke the next morning to Alby and Newt whispering in the corner of our room. I tried to pretend I was still asleep so they would keep talking...so I could snoop.

"She's not ready for that Alby. She still needs to take it slow. I don't bloody care how fast she is."

"I'm sorry Newt. With Ben sick, we need someone to run with Minho today. He can show her the ropes, stay close to her, she'll never get hurt. They'll be back way before the doors close."

I heard Newt sigh, a desperate sound that made my heart clinch. "I don't want her to go out there."

"I know. Minho said she has amazing talent though, she could be our key to getting out. You know how far they could get with how fast she is."

"The farther they go out the more bloody dangerous it is. You know that."

"Newt, I know how you feel about her but this has to be done. There's no one else that can run like her. She's faster than Minho, you know that's never happened. She needs to be a runner."

"But she doesn't want to be! I thought we still believed in having a choice around this hell hole. And now you're telling me she's a runner, regardless? No. I don't by that. I won't stand for it. Not with her." His voice waivered near the end of the sentence causing my heart to skip a beat. Did he really care about me that much?

"Fine. We'll ask her. I want her to go out today though so she at least knows what she's passing up. Good that?"

There was another sigh before I heard Newt reply. "Fine." Footsteps approached my hammock cautiously and then I felt his warm hand on my shoulder. "Clara, wake up." He shook my shoulder lightly and leaned down closer to me. "Wake up beautiful."

My eyes opened slowly and a big yawn escaped me.

He chuckled lightly and grasped my hand to help me sit up. "When you get ready come down to the kitchen and find me okay?"

I nodded as he retreated and I turned, noticing Alby hovering near his hammock. "You heard us didn't you?"

I stood to face him and nodded once more.

"How do you feel about it?" His face held no expression as he watched me closely.

I shrugged nervously. "I don't necessarily want to go out there but if I can help then I'm happy to." I sighed before glancing at the door. "I just don't want to do anything to hurt him."

Alby's forehead creased before he nodded. "I know. You'll be safe."

"I'm not worried about my safety." I smiled lightly before grabbing my clothes and closing the curtain, ending our conversation.

I found Newt in the kitchen with a small bowl of food for me. It looked like some kind of oatmeal. He smiled a sad smile at me and I frowned in return. Instead of taking the seat across from him I sat beside him and grabbed his hand. "What's wrong?"

He leaned into me before speaking, shoving the oatmeal into my free hand. I took the hint and started eating, waiting for him.

"Ben, the runner, is sick. He's come down with something and they need someone to go out with Minho since it's not safe to go out alone anymore. And Minho has suggested that maybe you could go since you're so fast." He spoke nervously and fidgeted with his hands as he spoke, studying my expression carefully.

I swallowed the mouthful of food I had and looked at him. "I know you don't want me out there but it will just be for one day right?"

His eyes darkened as he looked at me. "I hope so."

I took another bite of food and leaned into him even more, bumping his shoulder slightly. "I'm coming back to you, you know that."

He leaned his forehead against mine and took a deep breath. "You bloody better."

I shoved another bite of food into my mouth while his head was still against mine. He started laughing and shook his head. "Really?"

I smiled sheepishly at him and swallowed. "I knew it would make you laugh so I figured it was worth it."

His smile stretched wider and he looked down at the table. "The maze is dangerous, don't take it lightly. Stay with Minho at all costs." His hand absently rubbed the back of my neck, something I noticed he did when he was nervous. Usually to his own neck though. It was then I realized how truly terrified Newt was of the maze.

I finished my oatmeal and handed the bowl to Fry Pan and he winked at me as I walked out with Newt. As we walked I could feel the weight on my shoulders getting heavier and heavier and I could see the tension in Newt's shoulders as well. I grabbed his hand and squeezed it lightly in reassurance. We made it to the doors where Minho handed me my pack, well harness, but Newt took it from me and strapped it on me. He tightened the straps double checking everything before he finally looked up at Minho. His hands were both still on my shoulders as he spoke.

"You better watch over her. You keep an eye on her and you get back here before the bloody doors close. Good that?"

Minho nodded, slapping Newt lightly on the shoulder. "I got it." He turned to give Newt and I privacy before the doors opened.

Newt's eyes met mine briefly before he pulled me in for a hug. His arms went around my shoulders tightly and he kissed my temple, leaving his lips against it as he held me. My arms were around his waist just as tight. I really, really didn't want to leave him.

The ground rumbled as the doors started opening. I didn't need to look up to see Newt watching them. He sighed heavily before releasing me. He gently ran a thumb over my cheek and I winked at him before turning and sprinting after Minho. I glanced behind us when we rounded the corner, catching his eye for the last time.

The maze was dark with ivy covering the tall, stone walls. It was hot too so by the time we had been running for a while we were both drenched in sweat. "Do you need a break yet?" Minho shouted back to me.

"No, I'm good." I replied, mind focused on Newt.

"Stay hydrated!" He called out, grabbing his own water from his pack.

I grabbed mine as well and we both kept running as we drank. He led me all through the maze, or at least I thought he had. Apparently we didn't even cover an eighth of it. "Each door leads to a different section and each section changes during the night so the maze is different every day." Minho told me as we ate our lunch. The ground beneath me was hard and cold but did nothing to keep the sweat from rolling off of us. "We're staying in the inner rings today just so you can kind of learn the pattern. That way if you end up becoming a runner..." He let the sentence trail and shrugged. "Newt won't like that but he'll get over it every day you come back. And you will come back, don't worry about it. I'll get you back." He climbed to his feet and wiped off his hands. I followed his lead, grabbing my feet and pulling them up towards my head to stretch, feeling the ache in my limbs as I did.

"Yeah, that burn will wear off after a week or so of doing this." He winked at me before turning towards the hall that stretched out before us. "Ready?"

I nodded and we fell into step once more. There were so many twists and turns it wasn't hard to believe that they hadn't found a way out yet. It's easy to see how they could get lost and easier to see how this same thing every day could drive someone crazy. As we ran Minho explained the rules and everything I needed to do on the run. Things such as cut the ivy from the walls to guide us back, or take notes as we ran.

(SPOILER ALERT READ AT OWN RISK)

"Newt got hurt in the maze didn't he, that's why he has his limp?" I asked as we rounded another corner.

Minho glanced at me before replying. "What has he told you?"

"That he used to be a runner and it got depressing doing the same thing day after day with no results of getting out. I didn't push him for more than that but I know it now. He didn't get hurt on accident." My voice was sad as I got the last part out, the realization of it hitting me. He had tried to kill himself out here and that's why it was so hard for him to let me go earlier.

(END OF SPOILER)

Minho shook his head. "I don't understand how you two are so close already. You know him better than I did after a year here and this is your third day. Well third day awake that is."

"I feel like it's always been us if that makes any sense. Like...this isn't our first time meeting."

He stopped running and turned to me. I arched an eyebrow, looking at the path we were on. "You said we never stop running, why...why are we stopping?"

"You think you knew each other before this?"

I shrugged. "Yes, if I'm being honest it felt like de ja vu when I first saw him. That's why I trusted him so easily. He feels...familiar. Safe."

He nodded before continuing and I trailed after wondering what he was thinking.

I looked up at the sky and could tell it was getting darker. "Are we almost back?"

"Yeah, it's right up here."

We rounded the corner and I could see the glade. A group of boys already waited for us to come back. I spotted the mop of blond hair pacing back and forth until he heard the others say we were approaching. His eyes met mine and a bright smile spread across his face. Until then I hadn't realized how much I missed him when I was gone. When we crossed the threshold into the glade everyone started cheering for me, congratulating me on the first day as a runner. I only focused on Newt though. I collided with him when I reached him not having slowed down much to get back into his arms. He hugged me tightly before pulling me into the map room behind Minho with a small smile on his face.

"How did it go?" He asked, looking from Minho to me.

"She did great. By the time we were coming back she was turning corners before I was. She's a natural." He looked up at Newt and gave him a hard stare before Newt turned to me.

"I didn't realize I was." I replied with a shrug.

"How do you feel?" He asked me, concern creasing his brow.

"Tired. My body aches. I've never done anything like that before." As I said the words I could feel how true a statement that was.

He nodded but before he could speak Minho started discussing the paths we had taken, showing me the map of the maze. I learned a lot about the maze before Newt pulled me out of there and took me straight to the kitchen.

"There's my she bean!" Fry Pan yelled with a bright smile. "I made a special plate just for you sweetheart, congrats on your first day runnin' the maze." He handed me a plate with extra meat and potatoes, assuming I would need the protein now more than I had previously. I nodded gratefully to him and started shoveling the food in my mouth as Newt sat beside me with a grin on his face.

"Slow down love you don't want to choke on all that."

I smiled but kept eating. He placed his hand lightly on my knee and sighed. "Can I tell you something Clara?"

I nodded and looked at him, chewing my food. Hearing him say my name made me actually fall in love with my own name. That accent did wonders.

"The first time I saw you...I felt like I knew you. I know it sounds bloody crazy but I think we may have known each other before the maze. And every day I feel our connection become more powerful."

I looked at him with a blank expression as he echoed what I had told Minho earlier. I swallowed the food I had been eating. "Yeah...I do too."

"Really? Good. I thought I was going crazy." He grinned and leaned closer to me as I continued to shovel food in my mouth. "I wonder what it means then." He nearly mumbled. He reached up and unclipped my harness, pulling it off of me while I ate.

I shrugged and finally finished eating laying my head on his shoulder. "I had a dream about you last night." I whispered.

He looked down at me in question.

"It was weird, like flashes. There were people in white above me and you were on the table next to me. I was so scared. I didn't know what was going on but you were there too..." I sighed and he reached down and grabbed my hand.

"I had a dream last night with you in it too. I don't think they're dreams Clara. I think they're memories and you coming here has made them surface."

I looked up at him with wide eyes. "You think they're memories? So, we did know each other before the maze?"

He nodded and glanced around. The kitchen was filling up with people as the dinner rush came in. "Let's go talk in private." He pulled me to my feet and handed Fry Pan my plate before leading me to our room. He sat down in his hammock and pulled me down with him.

My head rested against his chest and our legs hung off the side of the swaying hammock. One of his arms draped over my shoulder.

"The first dream I had was two nights ago when you first woke up. There were these bright lights and tubes and I don't know a lot of things were going on so it was hard to focus on any one thing. Aside from you." He started stroking my hair lightly as he spoke and I suddenly noticed how tired I was. "I noticed you on the table next to me. You didn't even look like you were breathing at first but there was a machine that was breathing for you." He cleared his throat and glanced down at me before continuing. "They kept doing different things to you and you kept screaming every time someone went over to you. Like they were hurting you. And that's when I woke up. Last night I had a similar one only I saw them shock you with some sort of machine. Your entire body lifted off the table. I could feel in the dream how terrified I was that they would kill you. Clara, I think you were tortured before you were brought here."

I glanced up at him and noticed how sad he had become. I leaned up to look at him better and smiled lightly. "Well, if they did then it doesn't matter because now I'm here and I'm okay. I'm here with you now." I shrugged, trying to cheer him up about the situation.

He nodded slightly and his thumb grazed my cheek lightly. "Today was a hard day. I wondered about you all day long. Hoping you were alright."

"I bet it was hard after having a dream like that...I thought about you nearly the entire time I ran." I mumbled, laying back down against him.

He kissed the top of my head and wrapped his arms around me, rocking me to sleep.

I woke up some time during the night, still in Newt's arms. He was sleeping peacefully and I hated to move but suddenly...I jumped up and ran down stairs and outside and emptied my stomach. I groaned when my body heaved again, dry heaves this time, and collapsed on the ground.

"Clara! What's wrong love?" Newt wrapped an arm around my shoulder and helped me stand on shaky legs.

"I feel sick." I mumbled.

He frowned and put his hand to my forehead. "Yeah, you're burning up." He helped me into the medihut where he got some more blankets and some medicine. With my arm around his shoulder and his around my waist we made it back up to our room. He laid me down in my hammock and wrapped me in a blanket after giving me the medicine. "Get some sleep love." He kissed my forehead lightly and I drifted off once more.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomas' POV

I watched as Clara ran through the maze with Minho Her instinct already driving her to where they needed to go until Minho veered to a different path. She was a natural. She was easily making friends with everyone in there too which didn't surprise me. Aside from Gally, that one surprised me. Her and Newt had easily fallen into the routine again as if they'd never separated even though all of their memories had been wiped. It was hard to watch. He clearly made her happy though, understandably, just as she did him. They were good for each other.

Her time in the maze with Minho seemed to be good for her morale overall and I couldn't decide if it was him making the difference or the fact she knew she should be in the maze. I couldn't help but wonder if she knew subconsciously that she would eventually be their way out.

I was too lost in my thoughts to realize that she was now trembling, evacuating everything Fry Pan had given her for dinner. She must have the same bug Ben did. Newt's arms wrapped around her and he took care of her though, just as they always had.

I know you don't want to talk about it but you have to admit it's remarkable how fast they've bonded.

I looked up at Teresa with a scowl on my face. I know. I was just thinking that...I never had a chance.

She frowned. I'm sorry Thomas.

She was never mine to love, it's my own fault.

My sad eyes watched her sleep before they landed on Newt. He was wide awake, watching her, continuously feeling her forehead to make sure her fever was dropping. He was good for her and for that I hated him.

A/N: I feel like this chapter was somewhat of a filler but it provided helpful info so it was necessary! The bit with Thomas' POV at the end was to almost prophesize how his relationship with Clara was even though we already knew he cared for her. This one shows him consenting a bit to letting her go and I feel that was pretty important. I will try to post another update by the end of the day!

UPDATE: Due to Internet issues I won't be able to post anther chapter tonight but I should be back online tomorrow!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.1K 151 45
She was sent into the maze. But for what reason? She wakes up to see 30 teenage boys surrounding her. She is stuck in the glade with no clue, no memo...
240K 7.9K 32
You're only the second girl to wake up in the Glade, disoriented and confused. The only difference: you remember everything. Every Glader, every cust...
121K 1.8K 17
Y/N and Airs were together in the Maze Trials when they escaped to the Sanctuary. Meeting Thomas' maze group, they help each other by searching for t...
77.9K 1.7K 78
Imagine... You are sent up into the Maze instead of Teresa. You're scared alone and the only girl. But one boy in particular makes you feel welcome...