Caught on Camera

By MadelleMorgan

A contemporary romantic comedy, Caught on Camera is the first novel in the Hollywood in Muskoka Series. To a... More

Chapter 1, Scene 2, Part 2
Chapter 2, Part 3
Chapter 3, Scene 1, Part 4
Chapter 3, Scene 2, Part 5
Chapter 4, Scene 1, Part 6
Chapter 4, Scene 2, Part 7
Chapter 4, Scene 3, Part 8
Chapter 5, Scene 1, Part 9
Chapter 5, Scene 2, Part 10
Chapter 5, Scene 3, Part 11
Chapter 6, Part 12
Chapter 7, Scene 1, Part 13
Chapter 7, Scene 2, Part 14
Chapter 8, Scene 1, Part 15
Chapter 8, Scene 2, Part 16
Chapter 9, Part 17
Chapter 10, Scene 1, Part 18
Chapter 10, Scene 2, Part 19
Chapter 11, Scene 1, Part 20
Chapter 11, Scene 2, Part 21
Chapter 12, Scene 1 Part 22
Chapter 12, Scene 2, Part 23
Chapter 13, Part 24
Chapter 14, Scene 1, Part 25
Chapter 14, Scene 2, Part 26
Chapter 15, Part 27
Chapter 16, Part 28
Chapter 17, Scene 1, Part 29
Chapter 17, Scene 2, Part 30
Chapter 18, Part 31
Chapter 19, Part 32
Chapter 20, Part 33
Chapter 21, Part 34
Chapter 22, Part 35

Caught on Camera, Part 1

99.4K 1.4K 260
By MadelleMorgan

Caught on Camera

Hollywood In Muskoka series, Book 1

©Madelle Morgan 2016

All Rights Reserved

This is the DRAFT version of the novel. The final, revised, copy-edited novel has been published, and includes a playlist. 

The ebook is available on Amazon, iBooks, and Kobo. The paperback is available from Amazon or for booksellers, through Ingram.

***

Cast in order of appearance

Rachel Lehmann:                           Chambermaid

Damien "Mickey" McNichol:    Groomsman, Hollywood agent

Catherine "Candy" Kane:          Bridezilla

Wendy (Wanda) Davila:              Candy's personal assistant (PA)

Mopette:                                            Candy's white Maltese toy dog

Juanita Ramirez:                           Front Desk agent

Angeline Cousineau:                    Hotel Head Housekeeper

Marie-Eve Tremblay:                   Hair stylist and esthetician

Halden Armstrong:                       Groom A-list actor

Tiffany York:                                    Bridesmaid, actor

Garth Armstrong:                          Best Man & groom's brother

Asta Armstrong:                             Bridesmaid & groom's sister

Wade Edgeworth:                          Groomsman

Derek Witte:                                     Hotel waiter

Catrina Turner:                               Security guard

Titan:                                                   Retired police service dog

Arjun Chauhan:                               Hotel General Manager (GM)

Chapter 1 

Maid in Muskoka

Scene 1

Rachel rolled the housekeeping cart over the thick wool hall carpet. Glasses still warm from the dishwasher clinked softly on the lower shelf. Taking a deep breath, she knocked on the door of the first room on her list. She never knew what to expect when she entered a guest room. A couple so engrossed in lovemaking that they didn't hear her knock? A lecherous man who assumed his wealth gave him the right to make a pass at the maid? Or a celebrity who'd be the perfect subject for a surreptitious photo? She guiltily fingered the miniature camera disguised as a chunky pendant on the chain around her neck.

The muffled order, "Come in!" gave permission to swipe the master key card dangling from the coiled bracelet around her wrist and enter the six hundred dollar a night ground floor room. Only one side of the king bed had been slept in. On the spacious private terrace overlooking Lake Muskoka, a muscular male figure clad only in tight shorts and running shoes stood outlined against the sun, cell phone to his ear.

He glanced at her. "Would you mind applying sunscreen to my back? The sun is fierce this morning."

Unfazed by the intimate request, she stepped through the sliding glass doors to do his bidding. Although her shapeless silvery-grey uniform made her practically invisible to guests, rarely did she have the opportunity to get this close to a hunky male. Snagging the bottle of sunscreen he indicated, she scrutinized his even-featured, smooth-shaven face with its Keanu Reeves-like dark, lean intensity. Rachel soaked up North American entertainment media trivia like the Sahara desert absorbed water. She recognized most film and television stars. Unfortunately this handsome dude wasn't one of them.

Elsewhere in the luxury hotel that morning, staff scurried to prepare for a celebrity wedding. The groom, a Hollywood A-list actor, had booked the Sterling Inn Muskoka's fifty rooms because few paparazzi followed celebrities across the border to Canada's version of the Hamptons. Even so, the groom had hired security guards to patrol the perimeter of the five acre lakeshore property. A speedboat cruised back and forth across the bay, keeping boats with no business at the Inn out of telephoto lens range.

Members of the wedding party and guests had begun to arrive the previous day, a Thursday. Juanita Ramirez, the senior Front Desk agent, or, as the male staff nicknamed the amply endowed beauty, the "hostess with the mostest" spread the word that Ryan Gosling had checked in. Rachel shivered with delight, thrilled she'd scored a summer job as a chambermaid in the celebrity-favored resort.

Cleaning rooms occupied by the rich and famous was her ticket to fulfilling her dream to make movies in Hollywood. She needed thirty-five thousand dollars by September for Toronto Film School tuition. After paying room and board in the hotel staff quarters, as of this June wedding weekend she'd managed to save a pitiful couple of thousand, mostly thanks to tips from the affluent guests. But every grueling day of manual labor gave her unobtrusive proximity to famous clientele. She only needed to muster the courage to snap and sell candid photos of Hollywood celebrity guests to the tabloids and entertainment shows.

Rachel squirted SPF 30 lotion onto her palms while calculating how she might sneak a salable photo of this buff guest. Although she didn't recognize him, the fact that he'd been invited to the wedding implied he was a "somebody". No ring adorned the left hand holding the cell phone.

 The man presented his tanned back to her and continued his call. Her fingers trembled as they neared his body. As she spread the lotion on golden, smooth skin, her senses flooded with awareness of his intense masculinity. She forgot about taking a photo. Her slick fingertips itched to sink a little deeper into the rippled muscles across the upper back that tapered to a slim waist. No love handles marred this thirty-ish hunk, dark hair threaded with premature silver. And what a tight butt!

The guest continued to speak into the cell phone, oblivious of her very slow sweeps across his shoulders. "I'll have the contract signed before I leave." He listened for a moment, then replied in a masterful tone, "Baby, don't worry. Stall the property manager until next week. McNichol and Associates is absolutely going to lease that suite." She heard an agitated buzzing from the phone. He chuckled, unperturbed. "I've got this. You know me, how I operate. She'll be putty in my hands."

Ohhh, she had a thing for strong men who exuded confidence. She wanted to be putty in his hands. Preferably naked putty.

However, the General Manager repeatedly drilled into all employees that fraternizing with the guests was not part of the service. To reduce temptation on both sides of guest room doors, the GM made it his unofficial practice to hire plain women as room attendants. Rachel hadn't stressed about passing that test in the job interview. Teased mercilessly in high school, tall, skinny Rachel Lehmann had no illusions about her appearance. Big dark-rimmed glasses dominated an ordinary oval face framed by long mouse-brown hair. Out of uniform Rachel habitually wore baggy T-shirts, hoodies and yoga pants to conceal gangly limbs and a small bust.

Exhaling noisily, the mystery guest ended the call and tucked the cell phone into the pocket of his running shorts. With a quick movement he grabbed his wallet on a patio table and extracted a twenty which he passed to her with a nod. "Thanks, kid. I'll go for a run and get out of your way."

After he hopped over the low wall demarcating the terrace, she re-entered the room and flung a pillow into a down-filled armchair. Damn it. The first potential celebrity she'd gotten close enough to photograph, and her overactive hormones kept her hands busy stroking his muscles instead of pressing the tiny digital camera button. As Rachel stripped the bed she consoled herself with the prospect of two days of photo-ops that lay ahead. Juanita Ramirez would supply this guest's name, let her know if he'd be worth pursuing.

For a photo, that is. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

267K 16.4K 26
~~ Book 3 of The Marrying You Series. This can be read as a stand alone but I recommened you read the other two books too. ~~ Vanessa Brady is thirty...
1.6M 68.7K 70
[COMPLETED] W A R N I N G: • EXPLICIT SCENES AND STRONG LANGUAGE • MENTION OF DEATH AND SELF HARM • DON'T GO IN IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING CLIC...
3.5K 600 26
Answers are the only comfortable mysteries. Recently single and literature-loving Emilie Taylor is tired of living the same old life. She works two j...
70.3K 4.7K 42
Joanna Brooks had her life all planned. She'd have graduated in time, got a great job, had a successful career. In the middle there would have been a...