Freedom Series: Chasing Butte...

By MayIJustImagine

Finally, after escaping the abusive grasp of her father, siblings Nova, Nigel and newborn Neil are on the run... More

Prologue of Chasing Butterflies
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Epilogue

Chapter 8

740 46 0
By MayIJustImagine

Chapter 8

Maddox had hoped that with the steady downpour of rain the ride back to his step-dads house would have taken a lot longer than it did. However, it took him, roughly, 25 minutes to see the towering fences of the gated community. On, the outside, the gates looked like it was meant to keep the highfalutin community members safe from the vicious and poor outsiders, but in actuality, the gates were meant to keep the esteemed beast in. Yes, this was a community of wolves, born and raised. This was what the more evolved species of werewolves called pack land now, a lavish community of rich green grass, community centers, in-ground swimming pools and a thick expanse of woods and foliage that made up the rest of the 15,000 acres.

He pulled up to the gate flashing the human security guard, who was basically there for show, his ID and waited for him to open the gates. As he rolled down the lane of large houses his nerves grew even tenser. There was no one activity in the community. Even though it was relatively late at night and pitch black a werewolf community never sleeps. There was always something, or someone out, the lights in some house were on, the music was blaring or wolves were howling. Tonight, however, it was silent and that meant only one thing: the alpha was angry tonight. 

Which was why he was not surprised to see the extra cars parked out front his step-dads house when he pulled up. He got out of his car and walked purposefully slow to the front door, just to irk anyone that was in the house. It worked because before he could even attempt to retrieve his keys the door was ripped open and he was pulled inside the house by his shirt collar. The unknown figure slammed him against the now closed front, getting directly into his face. He stared defiantly at the cold blue eyes of Alder Ainsworth, Lily's father, refusing to submit, making him even angrier.

"Did you plan this?!" The gruff voice of Alder Ainsworth screamed in his face. He only stared at him with a purposefully blank expression and watched an ugly sneer crawl across his face. Alder pulled him back and then slammed him against the door, harder this time. "Did you?!" He yelled, spittle flying directly into his face.

"Yes, because I know the exact science of soul bonding and which girl would attract him, and his wolf's, spirit more so than Lily and decided to bring that girl to his engagement party just to piss you all off." He said dryly. "Sorry, but your precious Alpha isn't worth the time."

You see, the natural side of the werewolf was not the only thing that had evolved. Yes, they were no longer slaves to the moon and could change at will, although the moon did still affect them, they were no longer those hideous man-wolf hybrid beings but had grown more so to resemble a wolf, even though they still weren't exactly like a normal wolf they were no longer big and ugly, and they no longer lived in earthen dens in the middle of the woods but in lavish communities, their very spirits, the makeup of their souls, had changed as well. There was no longer one destined individual for each person, there were now multiple choices that worked, basically, on a percent system. Meaning, that if you can meet a dozen people, and feel a 10% connection with them all, but that 13th person that you meet could be an 80% match. It was sort of like online dating, but with your spirits. 

No one knows for certain why our spirits changed, maybe it was because our species was dwindling because everyone was trying to find one specific person out of 5000, or maybe because our souls were bored. All that they know is that there were multiple people for you now out there and there has never been a 100% match in millennia.

"Maddox!" Aspen gasped, as she came around the corner to see her only child held against a door by his throat. Running to the front of the small group that had gathered in her foyer she tried to pry Alders hands off of her son -that had dangerously started to squeeze his neck- when he violently pushed her off. She fell into a table, knocking all of its contents onto the floor including a vase that shattered on impact. Before, he could even think about reacting Alder was against the opposite wall, held roughly by none other than Antonio Torres.

"You dare touch my son and my wife while you are a guest - no matter how unwanted you are- in my home!" He hissed viciously, choking him. Alder drew his fist back ready to strike when Alpha Solomon Galloway stepped into the room. 

"Stop." Was all he said quietly, however the command was heard and felt across the room and the two men released each other.

Anderson Galloway, who was literally carrying a still sobbing Lily walked forward into the now crowded foyer. He suddenly stopped, his form going rigid and he turned slowly towards Maddox, who was rubbing his sore throat.

"You smell like her." He whispered, his eyes hazel eyes beginning to glow softly. It was as if his actions were not his own as he dropped Lily, rather abruptly to the floor and launched himself at him. The door was not strong enough to absorb the impact this time and they broke through it with a loud splinter of wood.

Anderson could barely control himself, he had never felt so wild and feral in his life. Although their wolves could not physically talk to them their grunts, growls, and animal-like thoughts and urges that entered his mind were all the communication he needed to understand him, and right now he was urging him to rip apart the stubborn male in front of him. However, just as he was about to tear into him a stronger hand grabbed his shoulder, throwing him back a few feet into the mud soaking him further. He looked up noticing the pouring rain for the first time that night.

"You both behave like children," Solomon growled calmly. One thing that everyone knew about Solomon was that he did not speak often and he never yelled because his dominance was enough to shut everyone down. He turned to the rest of the party and narrowed his eyes. "As far as I am concerned this is not a pack issue." He turned back to the two young men. "This is a personal problem, therefore all of you are not needed in this decision. I understand that you want what your daughter wants Alder but your behavior has been unacceptable today and punishments will be dealt out-" He leveled his gaze directly at his son then. "-to all. We will let our children handle their own lives with no interference from us, and that is an order, it is between them and God now." He finished, taking his wife's hand and leading her towards their car.

Anderson turned away, growling to himself and stalked towards his car. He ripped open the door and got in slamming the door shut bitterly. If he was the full Alpha he would have thrown Maddox Howell out on his tail a long time ago, but alas his father had yet to hand over full rights to the pack and therefore all major decisions - such as the removal of pack members- were not up to him yet. He waited for Lily to get in the car and they sat in silence as they watched the others pulling out of the driveway and driving off, while the Torres went back into their house. He pulled out and began the short drive to his house, figuring that Lily had nothing to say, when a sharp blow hit him directly in the eye and he winced, almost swerving the car off of the road. 

"This is all your fault!" She screeched, punching him again in the shoulder this time and sat back in her seat with a huff. "You made me look like an idiot today!" He was about to apologize but she turned away abruptly. "What are you waiting for you, idiot?! Drive!"

He started to drive again, taking in a shaky breath. He already knew that there was more drama in store for him tonight. He needed to prepare himself.

.

.

"What have you done now Maddox?" Aspen asked, shaking her head. Maddox's temper flared as he watched his perfect step-siblings look on at him in disappointment as well while his stepfather looked deep in thought.

"How is this my fault, I haven't done anything wrong!" He said snidely, walking through the hole in the wall and towards his car.

"Where are you going?" She snapped, following him into the now clear night.

"Don't act like you care now mother, it's sickening." He bit back.

"What does that mean?!" She asked, confusion on her face.

"Whatever." He all but snarled, making the word sound way more threatening.

"Do not disrespect your mother like that son!" Torres commanded, coming to stand beside his wife. Maddox whipped around at his "command" so fast that his mother jumped back in shock.

"Do not act like you're my father, because you're not, and don't ever call me son!" He spoke through gritted teeth. "And you, my own mother, who would rather claim his children in public instead of her only child doesn't know what I'm talking about?" He asked incredulously. Memories of when he was in grade school flew by in his mind, he was always ostracized from his two perfect step-siblings and made to feel inferior to whatever they did. The most prominent one being when his mom forgot to pick him up from the movie theater because she was too busy watching his step-siblings middle school spelling bee. He had to walk home in the ran that day and had caught a high fever but, his mom was too busy at the twins swim meet to care. Oh wait, she had sent a nanny to the house to watch him who had later determined he had pneumonia and rushed him to the hospital.

Aspen stuttered at a loss for words at the hurt look on her sons face.

"Yes!" Maddox screamed. "I hear you and your friends speaking behind closed doors. About how Antonio's kids are so driven, Antonio's kids would never do this, Antonio's kids are ambassadors for the Were community, why can't Maddox be more like Francis? Because, news flash! I'm not them and I'm sick and tired of being treated like we should have been triplets." He yelled, not caring about their neighbors as he walked away.

He had never liked this place anyway.

.

.

.

Any thoughts on how the story is going so far?

How about Maddox's family?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 126 49
Vanessa is used to being on the run. It's what happens when you have to run away from your pack at fifteen after... well, she doesn't like to think a...
21.6K 428 23
"Please sir it was a mistake, I didn't-" "I'll show you a mistake!" The Alpha said as he grabbed me by my hair and dragged me all across the floor he...
287 1 22
"Alison," one of them says, walking closer to me. "Yes, Alpha?" I ask as I shuffle back slightly, keeping my head down to avoid Chris' wrath. He take...
82.4K 5K 199
Valeria is a human born in a Lycan world. Her mother died during birth and her father died soon after in battle. The only other family she had was he...