A Pirate's Kiss (Wattys Winn...

By iluvdaisychain

(The Trilogy is now complete) This novel was written in 2011 when I was 15 - I'm slowly editing but please fo... More

Introduction
Chapter One | A Stolen Kiss
Chapter Two | Letters
Chapter Three | Innocence
Chapter Five | Gold
Chapter Six | Bottle of Rum
Chapter Seven | Handcuffed
(8) Never Underestimate Me
(9) Henry and the Creature
(10) History
(11) The Truth
(12) Dark and Light
(13) The Mermaid Door
(14) Sea Shanties and Captivations
(15) The Drunken Sailor
(16) Bleeding Water
(17) Hungry Kisses
(18) Regret
(19) Something Close To Heartbreak
(20) Burning Me
(21) Hand Fighting and Lady Thighs
(22) Beautiful Sight
(23) Captivated
(24) Indifference
(25) Not the One
(26) That Will Teach Him
(27) Don't Fight Me
(28) Strength
(29) Selfish
(30) Golden Moments
(31) I' Taren ar' ho Dgiathatch
(32) Scarred
(33) Flying Free
Epilogue: Surprise
Authors Note

Chapter Four | Silver Eyes

320K 10.5K 4.2K
By iluvdaisychain

This Chapter has been edited on the 15th of February 2021. We are trying very hard to make Cobalt less of a pervert people. But it's tough. So very tough. ;) 

Much love to all my new readers,
Daisy x

_______________________________________

Chapter Four | Silver Eyes

*

'Two souls don't find each other
by simple
a c c i d e n t .'

- Frisson

*

CIRCE

Sitting down at the head table reserved for my family, I looked around the ball room leisurely, making light conversation with those who approached the table to offer their birthday wishes. 

I had been non-stop dancing for three hours now, and was absolutely exhausted. The dance floor was spread out below, the night in full swing as the music played endlessly in the background, and those with stronger feet than mine continued to enjoy the night. 

The room was a splendor of gold and red, an autumn theme, I suspected, to celebrate my mid autumn birthday. 

In front of me, an extravagant table center piece of pink and red roses sprawled luxuriously across the front of the light golden table cloth and I leant forward to pluck a pink petal, crushing it between my fingers and inhaling the scent lightly. It was divine. 

Leaning back in my chair, I took a sip of water from my glass, my eyes still studying the dance floor over the rim. I glanced towards the main entrance and noticed that there were still people coming in through the door. Vaguely, I wondered who had created the invitation list. I knew less than half of the people present. But then, I supposed this was much less a ball for me, and more of an excuse for the adults to gather. 

I suspected that my step-mother may have had something to do with that - ever the lover of keeping up appearances in the social circles, Anna Fallon loved to flaunt her wealth.  Or rather, my Father's wealth. 

My eyes skimmed over the dance floor again and I found her easily. She was rather beautiful, so it was no wonder that she had found herself a young man to dance with that was most definitely not my Father. It was a pity that beauty concealed such an ugly interior. 

She was laughing at something her dance partner had said to her, her arms looped casually around his neck, and I could not help but feel angered by her blatant disregard for my Father's reputation. 

The two of them spun in time with the music, and her eyes flickered over the man's shoulder to meet my gaze. 

I glared at her stonily, but she merely sneered in reply, her gaze falling back on her dance partner as she leaned forward to whisper something in his ear. Her eyes flickered back to me for a moment and as though she had been scalded, she suddenly pulled away from the other man, the humor dropping from her face. 

I was momentarily surprised, but then a hand fell on my shoulder and I turned to see a quietly brooding face that was staring in the direction I had been, but a second ago. 

"Who has dared to cross the path of the beautiful Circe? Surely no-one should deserve to burn under such a glare?" I looked up at my Father before turning back to the dance floor. I knew he followed my gaze as it fell again upon my step-mother.

He chuckled. "Ah, I see."

Anna was now looking towards us openly, raising her hand to wave at my Father innocently. 

He ignored her purposefully and instead turned to me. "Calm yourself sweetheart. I am used to her antic's. It does not bother me."

I watched stonily as Anna began to advance through the dance floor towards us, her annoyance at being ignored obvious on her pretty face. 

"It should bother you," I said softly. "You deserve so much better. If you would just-

"We have a family together Circe," My Father's voice was quiet, yet firm and left no room for negotiation, "I will not abandon my family." 

I fell silent, knowing that he was no longer talking about Anna. 

"I know," I sighed, "but still. You're too good, Father." 

"Jacob, darling, is everything all right?" 

Her voice was cloyingly innocent and I inhaled deeply through my nose, determined not to let her get to me. 

Father sighed, running a hand through his dark hair, looking fleetingly at his wife. "Yes, of course Anna, I'm just having a discussion with Circe. Go and continue dancing. You looked like you were enjoying yourself." 

His insinuation was rather obvious, but Anna was unable to refute it, least it look as though she knew what he was talking about. The fake smile on her face faltered slightly, and then lifted back up again valiantly. 

"Alright," she chirped, turning to go. 

"Wait, Annabeth." 

We both glanced at him curiously, but to my surprise he was looking at me, his blue eyes twinkling. He paused, and then turned back to his wife with an amused expression.

She was looking at him expectantly. "Yes?"

"Aren't you going to wish Circe a Happy Birthday?" He asked, speaking slowly, as if it should have been obvious. 

Anna glanced at me stiffly and then abruptly deflated into a parade of smiles. "Why of course," she crooned, "I beg your pardon my dear, you were just so busy earlier and I had no time to see you amidst all of your ... suitors." She tittered lightly behind her hand. "Happy Birthday sweetheart." 

"Thank-you Annabeth," I replied politely, point blank refusing to call her anything else. "Your apology is accepted," I smiled sweetly, "likewise, I could see that you were very busy. You had best get back now, I'm sure there are people waiting for you." 

Her lip twitched, but her smile held as turned swiftly, and hurried back down the stairs into the rest of the room. We watched in amusement as she grabbed the nearest glass of wine from a passing waiter, downing it swiftly. 

"She'll be drunk by midnight." Father predicted, a large grin on his face.

"Nonsense," I announced, turning to grin evilly at him. "She's already had an entire bottle of wine. She'll be drunk in another ten minutes. She'll be passed out by midnight." 

Father let out a bark of laughter, sliding down into the chair beside me. He turned to take both of my hands in his own. "Are you having a good time?" he asked worriedly.

"I'm having a fantastic time." I replied, smiling as he did. 

"Good," he said, reaching out to tuck an invisible strand of hair behind my ear. "You look so beautiful Circe, I knew the dress would suit you as it did your Mother. Do you like it?"

"I love it." I said firmly, squeezing his hands gently. I opened my mouth about to tell him that I loved the necklace too but then I remembered Mother's words.

Show it to no-one. Not even your Father has seen it.

Fortunately Father did not notice my pause, his attention instead was turned to the front doors and in confusion, I followed his line of sight. 

"Father?" 

The crowd by the main entrance was too thick however, and it was impossible to pinpoint who exactly he was looking at. Abruptly, he stood up from his chair, bringing me with him. 

"They're here," he muttered. 

I glanced up at him worriedly. "Who is here? Did you invite someone else?" 

He suddenly seemed to realize I was still there and urgently, he clutched my hands, shifting so that his back was to the room and the dance floor was blocked from my view. 

"Listen to me Circe," he said urgently. "Those letters, those letters you received this morning, do you know where they are?" 

I nodded hesitatingly. "Of course, they are under my-

"Quiet," he commanded lightly, halting my speech, "do not tell me where they are." He reached up to take a small blue envelope from the breast-pocket of his suit. His eyes were fixed on mine as he pressed it into my hands. "Take this. It has the answers you will need. Do not open it unless you feel safe to do so." 

A lump had appeared in my throat, blocking any words that I might have wanted to say. 

"Circe," he mumured urgently, "do you understand?" 

I nodded, "Yes," I said falteringly, "yes I do, but I-" 

His eyes suddenly softened and he reached out to cup my face, his thumb skimming lightly over my cheek. "You do not need to worry," he soothed. "You are a smart girl. Enjoy the rest of your night, don't think too deeply about this." 

I couldn't help but laugh humorlessly, "Father, don't you think you've made that a little difficult?" 

He answered my smile with one of his own, but the sadness in the lines of his face were obvious to see. "I am sorry." 

I tried to convince myself that there was no double meaning in his words. 

His eyes were still set on my face. "You know that I love you." He said suddenly. 

This time, my answering nod was assured. "Yes," I replied, offering him a smile, "as I love you." 

 "Sir."

"Yes?" He answered, still looking at me.

"Your guest is here."

"Bring him right up."

So it was a guest. I craned to look around his shoulder, as he turned to meet whoever was approaching. 

He looked back at me and smiled, drawing me forward with an arm around my shoulders. "I do believe that the desserts are about to be served," he told me casually and I caught on quickly. 

Pretend like everything is normal.

I caught my hand up in his, squeezing lightly. "Dessert is my favorite part of the night," I told him breezily, finally picking out two people from the crowd that were headed in our direction. 

I studied them closely as they drew nearer. Two men. One older, perhaps around Father's age - his grey hair pulled back into a neat ponytail at the base of his neck, his equally grey beard trimmed tidily. However although he appeared collected, there was something about him that seemed a little more unrefined than the other gentlemen my Father usually kept company with. 

However, as he caught sight of my Father, a large grin softened his wild expression slightly, and he bounded up the steps towards us, clasping my Fathers outstretched hand and shaking it merrily. 

"Jacob! It's so good to see you, how have you been!"

I looked up to see that Father was also smiling. Slowly I relaxed.

"Bernard Hobbson!" My Father said with a grin, "I was expecting you, but I wasn't sure you'd make it. I've been well, how about yourself?"

As the two, who I assumed were somehow old friends, had a catch up, I took the time to study the other person that was standing casually behind Mister Hobbson.

It was a young man that I guessed to be perhaps a few years older than myself, and I could not help but feel that he looked uncomfortably familiar. My thoughts drifted back to that awful night, two years ago but almost immediately I discarded the idea. 

If that Pirate ever decided to make good on his promise, he would be an idiot to waltz into the middle of a ballroom when the party was in full swing. And although I had initially never thought that that face would ever fade from my mind, over time, his features had warped in my memory slightly. Till it seemed as though he had been something from a dream. 

I shivered slightly, and pushed the thought from my mind. The familiarity was merely coincidence, that was all. 

The young man had yet to be introduced, but already seemed well acquainted with a fair number of ladies in the room - if their tittering was anything to go by, and I watched with mild amusement as he eyed another group discreetly, his lips curling into a wicked smile as they responded to his attentions with giggles and waving fans. 

He was exactly the type of person that would be eaten up unashamedly by the women of high society, and looking at the graceful, yet confident manner in which he conducted himself, I was sure that he wouldn't be wholly against the idea. 

If it wasn't for his hair, midnight ink and swept back in a ponytail - far too long to be fashionable - he could have been mistaken for a Prince, taken straight from a painting. 

His silver eyes swept away from the admirers he had collected on the dancefloor below, to catch me staring. When he wasn't smiling, his high cheekbones and full lipped pout made him appear as haughty as any well taught aristocrat. 

His lips curled upwards at the corners and he opened his mouth to speak, but suddenly my vision was interrupted by a hurricane of curly golden hair and 198 pounds of desperate best friend.

"Hide me!" Nathaniel squeaked, ducking round behind me and trying in vain to hide his much larger frame behind my dress. 

"Nate! What are you doing?"

"She's after me," He groaned, pointing into the crowd. Peering out in that direction, I saw Florence pushing through the dancers impatiently, no doubt searching for the boy behind me. 

 "She's been latching onto me in front of everyone and now half of the guests think we're together!!" Nate said despairingly. 

I laughed unsympathetically, and was about to suggest he hide under the table when another voice cut in.

"Nathaniel Forest, whatever are you doing?"

My Father seemed to have finished his conversation for now, and was staring at us in amusement. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see the black haired boy staring in our direction also, no doubt wondering about the ridiculousness of the situation. 

Nate straightened up from behind me instantly, his hand rising in salute. 

"Sir, I was coming to wish Circe Happy Birthday, sir." 

Father smiled, waving aside his formalities. "No need for that Nathaniel," he said, "thank-you for escorting my daughter tonight. I heard about your big arrival." 

I laughed openly at that, and Nate's face fell. 

"Yes, sir" He mumbled.

Father turned his attention to me, taking a step back so he was standing beside his friend. He swept an arm towards me proudly. "Bernard I would like to introduce you to my daughter, Circe. This is her good friend, Nathaniel." 

Bernard Hobbson stepped forwards to take my hand courteously, bowing lowly over it. "It is a pleasure to meet you my dear," he said, his smile contagious. 

"It is always a pleasure to meet friends of Father's," I replied politely, offering a small curtsey in return. 

Bernard stepped back to the side of the black haired boy and clapped a hand on his shoulder. "Allow me to introduce my grandson, Cobalt. Fancy events aren't normally his thing, but you decided to join me on a whim today, didn't ya boy?" He guffawed loudly and beside him, Cobalt smiled, a slight trace of irony present in his silver eyes. 

"On a whim, indeed," he chuckled, stepping forward on his own to greet my Father. 

Father's hand was already outstretched however, and I did not miss the surprising tension that was present as the two men grasped hands. 

"Cobalt," my Father said stiffly, "I believe we have met previously." 

Cobalt's smile was easy, but his answering handshake was firm as he deftly avoided the subject, merely choosing to say, "It's good to see you again, Sir." 

My Father grunted in reply, and Hobbson - seeming not to notice the awkwardness, swooped back in to engaged him in conversation, leaving me to face Cobalt alone. 

Beside me, I felt Nathaniel tense slightly, shifting where he stood so that he leaned slightly closer to my side. 

Cobalt noticed the subtle gesture and his lips curled into a smirk. The feeling of familiarity returned suddenly and my breath caught in my throat, my eyes fluttering away as I coughed lightly to clear it. 

Moving towards me, the height difference became more apparent, and I was forced to take a small step backwards so as not to hurt my neck when looking up into his face. He seemed amused by my flustered appearance and I scowled readily at him - a look he chose to ignore as he reached out to take my hand. 

"It is a pleasure to finally meet you, Miss Circe," he said quietly. His gaze remained fixated on me as he bowed low over my hand, "My name is Cobalt." 

He knew the introduction was unnecessary, and even he way he spoke made it seem as though he had heard about me before this night - and although I knew that it was probably through Hobbson, the idea made nervous.  He was enjoying this though, I could see the laughter in his eyes. 

Unwilling to give him the upper hand, I mustered my courage and returned the greeting. 

"A pleasure," I replied tartly, "although unfortunately I cannot return the sentiment. I had not heard of you or your grandfather before this night." 

"A great pity," came his smooth reply, his lips lifting in a dashing smile, "but it is as the rumor's say, Miss Circe, your beauty precedes you." 

"I have heard no such rumors," I replied lightly, "but I thank-you all the same. Now, if you'll excuse me ..."

He nodded, dipping his head and turning back to the two other men, as Nathaniel took my arm and led me back to the table. Even with my back turned, I could still feel his eyes on me, burning into my expose flesh like a brand. 

"Naddy, let's go sit down," I whispered quietly, "I need a break from people." 

I felt him nod as he looked back over his shoulder, no doubt at the person who was still staring after us. "Did you see the way he was looking at you?" He began to say furiously - but before he could lecture any further, Florence stomped up to the head table and finally caught sight of Nate. 

"Oh, shit." He whined quietly in my ear, deflating like a burst bag of air. 

"Nate," she wheedled, her face affronted, "Where were you? I've been looking for your everywhere!" 

I smirked at Naddy when she turned to block his path, forcing him to let go of my arm. 

I'll leave you two alone, I mouthed at him, wiggling my eyebrows suggestively and managing to evade Florence's attention somehow as I made for my seat. 

Florence's voice rang out again. "You not going with her are you?" Her voice dropped into a hiss, "You can't! I going to ask Mummy to make you my personal guard tonight, so that we can spend more time together! So be good, and don't embarrass me okay?" She dragged Nate over to the the head table as well, making sure to find them a place at the opposite end to me. 

He looked down the table at me with pleading eyes but I grinned at him, knowing he would find a chance to escape later.

Everybody was drifting over to tables now, even the band had sat down, and as a little girl in a pretty blue dress came up to me, waiters appeared through the side doors, carrying marvelous dishes of every kind of dessert imaginable and spreading them out on the tables.

"Cissy!!"

I smiled and reached down, lifting the little girl up onto my lap as a massive cheesecake was placed in front of us. "Hello Pearl, are you having fun?"

Pearl smiled angelically at me and instead of answering, plopped her chubby little hand, straight into the middle of the cheesecake. 

"Oh Pearl," I scolded, quickly looking around to make sure her Mother hadn't seen. She would find some way to blame it on me no doubt. Hastily I grabbed one of the folded napkins and proceeded to wipe off the cream as best I could, Pearl not really helping by licking her fingers and repeating the same lines over and over.

"Yummy yummy, in Pearls tummy!"

She turned to me, holding up the dirty napkin. "Cissy clean up." She said bossily, nodded her head, her little pig tails swaying from side to side.

I laughed at her, and blobbed a dollop of cream on her button nose, laughing again as she went cross eyed and tried to lick it off. Pearl, my step-sister, was the youngest of the brood, and at three years of age, she was probably the only one of my half siblings that actually liked me. 

She was the only one of the family to have inherited Daddy's blue eyes, and although both her parents were brunette, her hair was as golden as mine. 

The sudden sound of a chair being pulled back made me look up in surprise, but then I saw who it was and looked back to Pearl, sighing internally. 

You are the hostess, I reprimanded myself, you are supposed to be polite. It's just for one night. Just one night. 

I smoothed out my expression - there was no logical reason to judge him so quickly. Just because he looked like a arrogant twat, it didn't mean he was one. 

"Who are you?" Pearl asked innocently and I readied myself for the smooth voice that followed, looking up as he spoke.

"I'm Cobalt. Who are you?" His voice was deep and pleasant to listen to. At the moment, he sounded slightly amused. 

"Im nobodidy." Pearl said, crossing her little arms and turning away, her nose in the air. "And I don't like boys."

I couldn't help but laugh at the disgruntled expression on his face, hiding my mirth discretely behind my hand. Obviously his charms didn't work on three year old's. He leaned forward again, trying to catch Pearl's attention.

"Why don't you like boys?"

"Because they aren't not very nice."

I couldn't help but notice the way his eyes twinkled as he attempted to win her over. "Do you like magic?"

Pearl, eyed him out of the corner of her eye. "Maybe I do, maybe I don'tid."

He chuckled. "Well I know a magic trick that I'm pretty sure you will like. But you have to turn around first." 

Pearl gave in immediately, making me chuckle as she turned around on my lap to face Cobalt, wriggling with excitement. "Do I get a present?" She questioned. 

He nodded, his shaggy black hair falling into his eyes. "You get lots of presents. But first, do you have any candy? I can't do the magic trick if I don't have some candy." 

Pearl looked around, her face dropping, her lip sticking out and wobbling dangerously. "I d-d-don't have any." She said sadly looking down at her hands.

Cobalt looked at her, feigning concern. "Are you sure? Did you look everywhere?" 

I had to smile when she nodded, she hadn't even moved off my lap. 

"What about behind your ear?" Cobalt asked, his eyes curved with amusement, as she reached her hand behind her ear coming up with nothing. "How about you give me a go," he suggested, reaching a hand behind her ear and fiddling around for a second.

Suddenly he pulled back with a grin on his face and a wrapped toffee in his hand. "Well, would you look at that!" He said, in mock surprise as Pearl squealed and clapped her hands, wriggling around on my lap as he handed her the sweet.

"Look Cissy, look what he did! Isn't he clever?" She giggled, her mouth stuffed with toffee.

"Yes," I said, narrowing my eyes on him. I'd have to watch out for my purse, I didn't think there was anything valuable inside it. "He's very clever."

Cobalt then proceeded to completely charm Pearl, and several other of the ladies at the table, with his array of magic tricks that mostly consisted of him making toffees appear out of the most ridiculous places. 

I'll show him where I can make toffees appear from in a second, I thought disdainfully as, with a wink, he took a knee and pulled a handful of sweets from under the hem of a lady's dress, as well as a red rose - which I had no doubt he had stolen from the table centerpiece, a fact that seemed lost on everyone else who was watching.  

Leaving the ladies giggling behind their fans, he sat back down beside me and offered another rose with a light smile. "Not convinced?" He asked mischievously. 

"Roses are roses," I remarked dryly, "there is nothing fantastical about transferring them from the table to a woman's hand."

He laughed, "I see. You don't like magic."

On my lap, Pearl bounced up and down, opening her mouth for another piece of chocolate cake that I was currently feeding her. "No, I do," I retorted, attempting to hold the wiggling child still before turning to smile at him sweetly, "it's just that I don't like cheap magic." 

"More cake!" Pearl demanded, grabbing my attention. 

Before I realised, Cobalt was suddenly in close proximity as he reached over my head, to grab something above me. His closeness was startling and I dropped the piece of cake I was holding. 

 It fell onto the table cloth where Pearl swooped on it, popping it into her rosebud mouth and smacking her lips together loudly.

"What are you doing?" I asked, torn between turning to see what he was doing and wanting to put some distance between us. 

He pulled back in the next second though, but remained close to me, his eyes magnetic as offered me the object in his hand. It was a gemstone studded hair pin, one that certainly did not belong to me. "You're right," his lips curled upwards slightly, "I save my good tricks for those who are a little harder to please. May I?" he asked, indicating he wanted to put the pin in my hair. 

"I am not wearing that," I deadpanned, pointing to the pin, "god knows where you stole that from." 

His handsome face became slightly reproachful, "You think so lowly of me Princess? I didn't steal this. It is a birthday gift. From Hobbs- my Grandfather and I." 

I looked at him, and when his expression didn't waver, I relented tentatively. "Fine ..." I said warily, "thank-you, I guess." I dipped my head, allowing him to slot the pin into place among my curls. 

His hand lingered a little too long in my hair, his fingers tangling lightly in the strands as he pulled away. I shifted a little awkwardly in my seat. "Oh, and I'm not a Princess," I felt the need to say, although it sounded a little lame, even to my ears, "you don't need to call me that."

I expected him to tease me, but surprisingly, his expression remained serious, a foreign emotion hot in his eyes. After a moment, he replied, his tone a little vague. "As you wish."  

I shrugged my shoulders, regaining my composition while casting my eyes over the table and noting that Nate had disappeared. 

A hand suddenly appeared out from under the table, grabbing onto my leg. I rolled my eyes, but inwardly breathed a sigh of relief. While Cobalt wasn't as bad as I had first thought him to be, his attention was intense and I felt as though I was second guessing myself, every time I spoke. 

"Pssst." said the hand, creeping up my skirt. "Is this Circe?"

"Obviously" I said, kicking the hand away, "Is it really necessary for you to crawl along under the table feeling up innocent girls legs?"

Naddy's head poked out from under the table cloth. "No" he said cheekily, "just yours."

I aimed another kick, at his head this time, earning myself a bemused look from Cobalt and I poked my tongue out at him childishly.

Nate's shoulders appeared as he started to crawl out from his hiding spot, much to Pearls delight; she screamed and threw herself on top of him. 

"Naddy!!" She squealed, adopting my nickname, and Nate groaned, I could see by his face he was thinking about retreating back under the table.

"Not you too Pearl?"

She crawled down beside him and ducked under his arms, looking up at his chin. "Who are we hiding from Naddy?"

"Florence" I said, hastily stuffing Nate, along with an excited Pearl, back under the table cloth, ignoring his protests. Florence came to stand in front of me, her hands folded across her chest. 

"Have you seen Nathaniel?"

I smiled at her sweetly. "No"

"Don't lie!" She said, angrily stomping her foot. "I know that your jealous and just trying to keep him to yourself. You've probably kidnapped him and hidden him somewhere." She took a threatening step towards me. "Tell me where he is or I will go and tell Mummy on you." Her eyes narrowed into a squint and I tried to hold in the laughter that was forcing its way up my throat.

Before I could speak, a quiet cough came from behind Florence, and she quickly turned around, her mouth open, ready to protest her innocence. Instead she came face to face with Cobalt, whose amused expression from earlier had vanished completely.

"Don't you think," he began coolly, "that if the poor boy wanted to spend time with you, he wouldn't keep trying to run away as though you were infested with the plague?"

I hid my laughter behind my hand, as I watched Florence backtrack into a complete, simpering mess. Blatantly ignoring the insult that had just been thrown casually in her direction, she spoke to me without removing her eyes from Cobalt's unimpressed face.  

"Circe, aren't you going to introduce me to your friend? Where are you manners, don't be so rude."

I couldn't help but laugh and she glared at me. "But of course," I said politely, stuffing my amusement back down. "Florence's, this is Cobalt. He is the grandson of one of Father's friends. Cobalt, allow me to introduce my-"

"Step-sister," Florence cooed, cutting over top of me. "We are only half related, in fact, I like to think of myself as not really related to her at all." She threw back her head and laughed, obviously thinking she had just said something extremely witty and entertaining. "I'm pleased to make your acquaintance Cobalt." 

She curtsied in front of him and extended her hand, obviously expecting him to kiss it, but he merely grasped the offered appendage with his fingertips and shook it quickly as though it was some kind of dead animal that he thought he might catch a disease from.

"Oh my dear," he said, grimacing up at her, "the pleasure is all yours."

I watched as she maintained her smile for a moment, before grabbing his hand fully and pulling him from his seat before he could protest. I laughed as she marched them off to dance, marveling at Florence's ability to blatantly disregard any sort of animosity towards her. It was truly like bouncing a rubber ball of a stone wall. Fascinating. 

Once I was sure she was busy I swung my foot under the table and connected with something hard.

"Ouch!"

"Oh man up." I scoffed. "You can come out now, she's gone, and considering how delighted she is with her new toy, I suspect she will be gone for some time."

"Her new toy?" Nate questioned as he emerged from under the tablecloth, rubbing his head.

"Yes, she found Cobalt." I said, frowning when I saw Pearl was not with him, and pointed to the table where Cobalt now sat, looking uncomfortable for the first time since he had arrived. 

A simpering Florence was seated on the chair next to him, although with how she clung to his arm, she might as well have been seated in his lap. His eyes kept straying over to where I was sitting, as though seeking help, but I ignored him. "Nate where's Pearl?"

Nate chuckled. "You know, if he wasn't such a prick, I might actually feel sorry for him. Oh and she's over with your Father." He pointed to where Pearl was snuggled comfortably in Father's hold, her head cushioned on his shoulder as she yawned widely. It had been a busy night for such a little girl. She had been fortunate to be able to attend at all. 

"Yes," I said, referring back to his remark about Cobalt, "me too"

The ringing chime of a spoon on a crystal glass suddenly caught our attention and we looked back to where Father was standing. At some point, Anna had returned to take Pearl, and the pair stood behind him quietly, looking out across the room. Pearl's head was nestled on her mothers shoulder, Anna slowly running her hands through her daughters hair. I could not help but sigh lightly. Oh to be loved like that. 

The room gradually quietened and my Father cleared his throat before speaking, his deep voice echoing through the room. 

"Friends. First I want to thank-you for attending my Daughters 17th Ball, your presence tonight was greatly appreciated, and it regrets me to have to tell you that our evening is drawing to a close. Now that dessert has been served, and I hope your appetites are finally satisfied, I would like to invite you to join my family and I, in the last set of dances for the evening." 

He nodded at me and I rose from my chair, dragging Nate up with me. 

"I hope you have all had a wonderful time and enjoy the rest of your night."

There was a round of applause at the end of his speech and then another as Nate lead me onto the dance with a bow. I returned his gesture with a curtsey, a lightness lingering in my heart after my Father's speech. I would have to take that last thought of mine back. I was loved here. It just wasn't always as visible as I longed for it to be. 

"Didn't I tell you I would have the last dance?" Nathaniel teased, before adding in a more serious tone, "I hope you have enjoyed your night, Cee." He spun me out around him in the middle of the dance floor causing my dress to fan out in a perfect circle, "if anyone deserves a gathering as grand as this one it is you."

"I have enjoyed it," I smiled, coming back to him and laying my hand back down on his shoulder, "how could I not, after you went through all of the effort to find something appropriate to wear," I added cheekily and he snorted, pushing me away from him again. When I arrived back in his arms he slowed down the pace, waltzing round in a slow circle. 

"At least after tonight, I won't be required to wear it for at least another year," he teased. 

I laughed. "You never know, you might-"

"Excuse me." A smooth voice through our conversation and our steps halted abruptly as we both turned with surprise to see the owner of the hand that was currently laid on Nate's shoulder. 

Cobalt smiled lightly at us, his silver eyes lingering on our joined hands.

Nate frowned in annoyance. "Your excused." He said rudely and I wacked him on the shoulder, suppressing a giggle. 

"Nate, don't be rude."

Cobalt smirked at Nate before bowing low to me. "May I have this dance?"

I curtsied back, staring at Nate warningly. Now would not be a good time to get over-protective.

"Yes, you may." I said, reaching out to take his hand. He drew me to him delicately, his hand curling gently around my waist as he squeezed my fingers lightly. 

Taking a deep breath to settle myself, I laid my other hand on his upper arm. He was taller than most, and I found the difference slightly disconcerting. 

Noticing my unease, he rose an eyebrow. "Shall we?" he murmured quietly. 

"How am I not surprised you know how to dance?" I managed to reply, albeit, a little waveringly, "is there anything you can't do?"

His answering smile was unlike the dashing ones he had shown me before. His lips curled wickedly, silver eyes magnetic as he held my gaze. I could see the mirth beneath his devious expression. He was laughing at me. 

"Indeed, there are many things I cannot do. But you will have to forgive me for not confessing to them," his devious smirk widened, exposing a small tiger tooth. "One should not give up their weaknesses so readily." 

He pulled me a little closer, "However, I will confess, unlike you well bred people, my style of dancing is a little more ..." he paused for a moment, searching for the right word even as his expression betrayed his enjoyment of the moment, "exotic," he finished finally. He squeezed my waist, "I hope you can keep up." 

I floundered for a moment before gathering myself and shifting forward, forcing him to take the first step. "I'm sure I will manage," I replied lightly. 

He laughed carelessly, and took the lead. "Yes, I have no doubt you will," he replied as the music began to pick up. 

I gulped and looked over at Nate who was dancing around the edge of the circle, glaring at the back of Cobalt's head, while the girl he was dancing with tried in vain to capture his attention.

"Don't look at him. Look at me."

His voice was commanding, and I found myself obeying before I even realized. And truly, as the music increased in pace, Cobalt's style of dancing left no room for my thoughts to wander and I found myself immersed in keeping up with him. 

He danced as if there was no-one watching, his movements so bold and elegant that I became unsure as it if we were still dancing the same dance as before. My body seemed to be perfectly in tune with his, it was as though he was working me like a puppet on a string, controlling my movements with his eyes and his hands.

It was only when he spun me around in a series of elegant twirls, ending in a dip that was dangerously close to being unsuitable for the public eye, that I realized just how close we were and how out of breath I was. His enigmatic gaze held my own absolutely. My breath puffed out in short gasps, my arm tightening on his as I stared up at him. 

"Pull me up," I whispered, suddenly realizing how we must look. 

His hand was pressed flat against my back and I felt his fingertips curl lightly as he paused, but then the next minute he was lifting me back to standing easily, the previous seriousness that had been present in his eyes vanishing along with the end of the dance. "I apologize," he offered lightly, and I could see that infuriating humor reappear in his eyes, "I got carried away."

He was still far too close to me and his proximity, combined with his fast paced style of dancing, and the infernal corset I was wearing, was making it harder for me to catch my breath than was normal. 

"It's fine," I replied to him, attempting to put some space between us, now that the music had finished. 

The dancers around us were getting ready for the next song, but I had no intention of joining. 

Before I could pull away however, Cobalt caught my elbow with a light chuckle. "Where do you think you're going?"

I opened my mouth to retort, but was interrupted by a voice from behind. 

"With me," Nate uttered stonily, pulling me out of Cobalt's grasp and ushering me off the dance floor without a backward glance. 

"Are you alright?" Nate asked furiously, after seating me down and placing a glass of water in my hand. 

"I'm fine." I said, gulping down the water, "I just feel a bit faint, his dancing is different to what I'm used to." I looked back to the dance floor where Cobalt still stood, looking after me intently. I quickly looked away.

"Yes, I noticed that." Nate said, his voice turning dangerous. "Such dancing was not suitable for our dancefloor, I don't care where he is from. Circe, I don't think-" 

I cut him off before he could finish. "Naddy, don't be silly. It was fine. A little different, but hardly what I would call extreme."

"You didn't see the way he was looking at you," Nate grumbled and I laughed, getting to my feet.

"Only you would read so much into a look." I gestured towards the front door, at the same time noticing that Cobalt's eye-catching figure was no longer visible on the dancefloor. Perhaps he had found another partner. 

"Nate I'm just going to go outside for a moment okay? I'm still feeling a little short of breath, it's this darn corset." I wriggled uncomfortably in my chair.

I swear I saw Nate's expression brighten as soon as I mentioned not Cobalt, and his next answer was quite chirpy. "Okay, do you want me to come with you?"

I shook my head, smiling at him. "I'll be fine. There are people leaving, I will go and thank them for their attendance."

Nate nodded. "Okay but stay where its crowded, I think the General wants me anyway." He pointed over to where the older man stood, waving in his direction. 

"Yup will do."

He hugged me once before running over to where the General stood with a few other soldiers. They talked for a moment before running off down the hallway. I frowned, watching Nathaniel's blonde head disappear around a corner.  What was that about?

It seemed that I was destined to find out, before I had even made it to the front door.

BOOM.

I paused, halfway down the stairs to the dancefloor, my head turning - like so many others in the room - to the open front entrance.

BOOM. 

Lifting up my skirts I began to run towards the big double doors. Appearances no longer mattered and it seemed I was not the only one who felt this way - the crowd had already began to gravitate towards outside, startled murmuring racing through the crowd and picking up speed, like fire in a forest that had been starved of rain for too long.

I pushed into the crowd as the night air was suddenly filled with screams and I felt a sudden sense of déjà vu as the black sky lit up, echoing the sound of cannons.

BOOM. 

People were shoving more frantically now, the shouts from the back causing urgency towards the front as more and more people tried to cram themselves through the bottleneck opening.

Just when I was on the edge of becoming claustrophobic, I was pushed through the remainder of the crowd and thrown into the welcoming arms of the cold night air.

I gasped for breath, looking wildly around me. Everywhere seemed to be in a stage of complete and utter disarray, soldiers where lining up in the center of the courtyard, and I saw the General at the front of the troops, shouting orders that were hard to make out over the ruckus the crowd was making as they tried to depart. 

Don't leave, I thought pitifully, looking around at the scrambling masses, you're safer here. 

Scanning the line of soldiers, I thought I could see Nathaniel's curls in amongst the ranks but before I could call his name, they were running off through the gates, guns at the ready.

BOOM. 

My hand rose to my lips, my fingers trembling. Could he really have remembered? My heart thudded desperately in my chest as thought it was trying to escape our fate alone. 

He's coming for me, I mouthed the words like they weren't my own. 

Cobalt's face suddenly appeared in my mind. Had I been right in being suspicious of his familiarity? The whole thing seemed far too coincidental. But it wasn't him. Cobalt wasn't the man who had been in my room that night. So then ...

Something made me look up in that moment. My panicked eyes rose from my feet, to find the figure that stood directly in front of me, a short distance away. I stumbled towards him, before I even realized I was moving, my hand outstretched in a soundless plea. 

Father, please help me. 

He was looking up at the sky, unnoticing of my struggle, and it was at that moment the sky burnt red with an explosion that made the ground beneath my feet tremble in shock. Simultaneously, my Father's eyes slid from the burning horizon, to find my own. 

I opened my mouth to call for him, but my words were stifled as a foul smelling cloth covered my nose and mouth, a hand gripping my waist as I was restrained forcibly. My short scream was muffled and my eyes widened as I stared at my Father.

Please!

And although whatever was on the cloth worked exceedingly quickly, blurring my vision and dulling my senses, I would never forget the look of anguish on my Father's face as he stood, unmoving, and unspeaking, as I was stolen in the night. 

*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

135K 5.2K 60
**** COMPLETE **** This novel centers around Faith, a young black woman in her early 20s that's given up on the thought of love. That is until she fi...
123K 8.2K 55
Five Star Reviews for Atlantis Academy: "Omg this book was amazing I couldn't put it down or stop reading. I carried it with me open on my phone whil...
5.3K 806 39
"Your mine," His voice is husky as he looks down at me. I shake me head and take a step back from him only to make contact with the wall behind me. ...
55.3K 1.7K 74
🖤 "You will remember me," I utter, wrapping my hand tighter around the candle. "You will remember the woman who burned your world to ash. For I am a...