Visionaries

By -swiftly-

"How is it that we've never met but we know each other?" "I don't care. I'm here to finish what I was sent t... More

Copyright
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
AUTHOR'S NOTE

nine

80 3 3
By -swiftly-

// NINE //

Cyrus' apartment is not too far from the park and maybe holds the same distance from the university. He lives in a tall, beige coloured building, and his apartment is on the 17th floor. Walking in the building made me realize that I've never really been able to see the lifestyle, architecture and trademarks of Lugano. Just by walking in, I could see it, and feel it.

Some people just go unnoticed and blend into the crowd whereas almost everyone was a familiar face back home. The buildings are taller and the streets are longer. It's so much more crowded even if it's just a bit bigger than St-Moritz.

All the tables in the lobby are marble and the floor is carpeted. Facing the double doors we came through are two elevators and there are hallways on either side of them.

Cyrus greets the middle aged, dark haired doorman and leads us around the small seating area to the elevators. It's just as clean as the lobby. One wall of the elevator is a mirror and a classical song plays.

The ride to the 17th floor is done pretty quickly. The walls of the halls are a very pale sky blue and the floors are, like the lobby, carpeted. We take a right out the elevator and walk to the far end of the hall which is Cyrus' apartment.

"The apartment is a little bit messy," Cyrus starts as he puts his key in the lock. "I don't know how much she was able to clean while I was out."

"She?" I whisper to Darius as Cyrus leads Cass inside.

"You'll see."

He walks in behind Cass and Cyrus beckons me inside before him.

The apartment is very cozy. We walk in the living room. To my left, touching the wall, is a couch and another smaller one, placed vertically, that forms an L with the first one. A single couch faces both with a coffee table in the middle. To my right, is the TV on a stand touching the other wall. Behind the single couch is the dining table and beside it is an opening in the wall that leads to the kitchen that also has an opening on the other side leading to the living room. Behind the couch is the bathroom and then theres a hall between the kitchen and bathroom that probably leads to the rooms.

"Wow, you did a pretty good job around here, hun," he says walking in the kitchen and the sound of a kiss answers my question. A sweet looking woman walks out with Cyrus by her side. She has short, wavy black hair thay reminds me a bit of a 20's style especially with her bold red lip colour.

"I find first impressions really important so I couldn't leave the flat to be the same dump it was before. I'm Emily. You can call me Em."

She hugs me then hugs Cass.

"It took you long enough to introduce the girls to me," she says as she goes over to Darius, standing behind me, and hugs him.

"It just never was the right time."

"It never is with you, Darius. Is it?" She says this with a smirk, but Darius' expression falls in a frown. He looks disappointed in himself. I don't quite know what she means, but I'm curious.

"Come, sit at the table. I'll bring snacks."

"I'll help you," Cass says, jumping to the oppurtunity to make a new friend. Cyrus goes in his room, probably to change. I just stand in the doorway with Darius.

"Cyrus? As in Cyrus the Great?" I question. "Your mom, yeah?"

He smiles. "Yeah. She was fascinated by history, especially the persian empire. I think it's because of the image of Iran created by media and society now. She needed to see who the real Persians were and are and not the extremist dictatorial government that is all that is shown to the world."

"I really think I would have loved your mother."

"I think you would have too. When she got pregnant, she jumped to the opportunity of keeping their history alive. Cyrus was born on a very sunny day and the name means sun-like. She said that I was born during a thunderstorm and she saw that as a good thing. She saw me become a fighter for what's right. Darius is the modern and shortened version of the name that means holding firm on good. In Iran, the name still exists but they pronounce it Dariush."

He seems a bit embarassed to compliment himself even though he's repeating his mother's words. I'm fascinated by their mother. I wish I could have met her.

"I really want to visit Iran. Have you?"

"No, I haven't left Switzerland. My father never let my mom out of his sight and considered travelling futile. I later figured out that he legally cannot leave the country." He chuckles and shakes his head.

"Come on," he continues when he sees Cyrus come back out. "Everyone's ready."

We walk to the dining table and all sit around it. Em and Cass put the snacks and plates in the corner of the table. Cyrus turns around to get his stuff from the coffee table behind him. He holds a pile of papers, his laptop and a briefcase.

He turns on the ceiling fan and the oven's hood. He plays music and the TV as well.

"Trying to mask our voices?" I ask.

"Wow, you found yourself a smart one," he says in a playful tone looking at Darius.

I can't help but blush and Darius simply smiles.

"I can never know for sure who could have come in here and what devices are planted."

I see Em take a deep breath. She looks like the thought of someone being here when they aren't kicks the breath out of her lungs. It would have had the same effect on me.

Darius puts some crackers, cheese, vegetables and dip in a plate and puts it between us so we can share. Em spent the day cleaning. We wouldn't want to leave a bigger mess after we leave. Cyrus' phone rings. He takes the call, but it must be important, maybe their father, because he leaves the room.

"So, May, you're the one in the dreams, right?"

I never know how to answer that one because it seems surreal. I can't think correctly especially with Cass staring me down, with a smirk, nibbling on a carrot. She looks so much like a chipmunk I want to burst into laughter.

"Yeah, I am. And he's the guy from mine."

We still manage to hear our low voices even with all the sound.

"Oh, you dream about him. Cause I knew that someway somehow he was connected to you, but I didn't know it was a dream too."

"Yeah, that's how it all started," Darius says very nonchalantly. As if he hates how it started because I doubt that he hates that it started. I know him enough to know that he can't just play someone.

"Is it okay if I ask for you guys to tell me more?" Em asks putting her plate down and leaning closer over the table. "Cyrus hasn't told me much."

"It's fine with me," I say looking at Darius. He nods and so I start the story. The moment I start, I see Cyrus coming back from the bathroom.

"Well, our dreams were nightmares. Both of them were on a train and something happens that makes the other kill us. There are many similarities too. On the train to Lugano, he stops me and throws me in the bathroom, where everything in the dream happens. I recognize him and I see that he recognizes me. I tell him my dream and he tells me his. He decides that this needs to figure this out so we leave the train and he doesn't finish his mission to kill me. Since then, we've been trying to figure this all out."

"Woah, seems supernatural."

"That's what I always say," Cass adds.

"So," Cyrus starts. "Have you found anything more than the last bit you gave me already, Darius?"

"No, I talked to you about our dreams last night, right?"

He nods.

"Then yeah, nothing else."

"Okay," Cyrus starts going trough some papers. "On the phone, was the man I need to talk to you about, today."

"There's a new person?" Darius asks surprised and kind of annoyed.

"Unfortunately," he says holding the same look as Darius. "At least we know exactly where this guy stands."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, we know that he's the bad guy. Or the other bad one."

I chuckle because bad guys never end to appear, but we, the ones who want to end this, are left alone.

"So, here is what I have found out so far."

He places the papers in order. He puts the briefcase on the table and opens it as well his laptop.

"There is another political society that this man is the so-called leader of. He is super low key and has a lot of classified projects and political authority. He is against our father's projects and wants to do everything to stop this last one, that your murder was a part of. All these lies about your family, all these people sent to lure you to Darius, with reverse psychology - "

"So, you think that too?" I interrupt. "That they were telling me to stay away so I'd want to stay with him?"

"Yeah, I talked with Darius and he told me what you guys came up with. I believe it too. Well, all these people are working on this project with our father. I still don't what his project is and why all these people desperately need you two working together. But, this man," he looks down at one of the papers before continuing. "Pete Evan is his name, is, like I said, determined to get what he wants and to stop this project. He is a criminal and so his limits are farther than a civilized person's. He wants a pawn working for him that will infiltrate the other side, our father's side."

"How do you know all of this?" Darius asks a bit concerned.

"He called. He knows I'm one of his closests associates, but he also knows that I'm his son. He wants someone on both sides to give his loyalty to him. Darius, I assume you wouldn't want to do this?"

He shakes his head. "As much as I want this to be over and for our father to lose, I'm not sure I want to defeat him by his enemy's side."

"Me neither. That's why I wanted to ask you, May. It's okay if you say no, but I wanted to ask."

I don't know how I feel. I don't want to chose between Darius and what's right.

"I, I'm not sure that I want to be in that position."

"I understand. I'll give him a call letting him know that I can't accept the offer."

He walks away, back to the bathroom to make the phone call.

Cass also gets up from her chair.

"It was a lot of fun meeting you, Em. But I have to go back to the university." Em gets up as well and hugs her warmly and leaves a kiss on her right cheek.

Cass acknowledges Darius and I before turning around hastily.

"Oh, Em. Tell Cyrus I said 'goodbye'."

"I will, darling. Don't worry," she reassures her with a glossy look, almost like she has tears welling up in her eyes.

Cass smiles and leads herself out of the apartment. The door slowly closes behind her. Em and Darius lean over the table to get more snacks and get talking.

I get a text. From Cass.

im ok, i just needed to talk to keller about the choice and all... and i need to sleep a bit.. love ya bruh

Well, I understand, but at the same time, I'm confused. I don't know what was so urgent for her to have to leave now and go tell him. Couldn't it wait until tomorow?

Darius and Em talk about what I think is the first time they met.

"Darius, that's not true. You were the one with bread crumbs in your hair, not me."

"What are you even saying?" he starts with a laugh. "You have longer hair. It's even more logical for you to have some. I'd have to voluntarily do it or bend over, a lot."

"Okay, then what about the marinara sauce. I'm not the one who poured some in my purse. You did!"

"I told you that while you were in the bathroom, a waiter passed and made it fall into your bag."

"I still don't believe you."

"Wow," I manage to squeeze into conversation. "That's a heck of a first meeting."

"You can say that again," they both say in choir. That causes us to all laugh a bit before Cyrus comes back.

"Why did it take so long?" Em asks as Cyrus takes Cass' former place to be closer to his wife, or girlfriend. I don't know the details yet.

"Every person who answered kept saying that they had to give it to a supervisor. I guess when they have an answer that won't satisfy him, they make sure no one gives the news. That he gets it directly himself."

"How did he react?" I ask. His reaction will let us know his next actions.

"Very calmly. Like, it was obvious that he was pissed enough to be speaking through gritted teeth. But he didn't force me or threaten me."

"Am I the only who finds that suspicious?" Darius almost whispers.

I shake my head, staring at the table. I look up a little and see that Cyrus and Em are shaking their head as well. I guess that we all feel like targets.

"Don't worry too much, guys," Cyrus starts with a pleading tone. He puts an arm around Em and she curls up in his side. "Darius and I are trained. You're well away from trouble," he says looking straight at Em with a hand on her stomach. "And May, we're behind you every step of the way."

I nod, my eyes glued on the hand Cyrus has on Em. I keep thinking that they both have to keep something else safe, someone else safe. I can't take my mind off the possibility of Emily being pregnant. I noticed a glow that my mom taught me how to recognize. Cyrus is so much more anxious about Pete than expected. She suddenly had a mood swing when Cass left and she was tearing up.

This makes everything so much more stressful, for the couple especially.

"Then I guess we'll leave you guys to rest," Darius says getting up.

"Yeah," I agree copying his actions. "Thank you, guys."

"I'll let you know if anything comes up," Cyrus says hugging Darius. I approach Em and hug her goodbye.

We then switch and hug the other. "It was nice meeting you, Cyrus."

"You too, May. Be careful."

I nod. Darius leaves a kiss on Em's cheek and follows behind me, out the apartment door.

"What are you thinking?"

I don't know how to answer him exactly. I shrug and continue walking towards the elevator. I press on the button. I face him.

"I'm thinking that I really want to know what your dad and Pete Evan are really up to."

He nods continuously in agreement, I guess.

"Darius?" I ask just as the elevator doors open. We walk in and then I ask my question.

"Do you know if Em is pregnant?"

He opens his mouth to say something, but no words, or sounds, leave his mouth. He looks down at his shoes.

He passes a hand through his hair and looks at me.

"Did she tell you? Cause I don't remember you being alone with her," he starts, mostly mumbling to himself. "I was with you all along..."

I tune him out. I'm shocked that I'm right, happy for them, but at the same time, I hate that this is happening for them now. Cyrus has so much to lose.

"No, I figured it out. Her glow, her snacking, her sudden tears, Cyrus' hand on her belly. I felt Cyrus being extra anxious and with every thing else, it just made sense."

He chuckles. "You're smart," he breathes just as the ding sounds before the doors open.

"Cyrus doesn't want anyone to know. I overheard them. They didn't even tell me."

"Why? If I can ask."

We walk out of the lobby, onto the breezy street.

"I guess secrets aren't the way to go in this situation so, I'll tell you. Cyrus and Em's story isn't very typical. Em comes from a very rich family that used to do business with my father. Cyrus was caught by her for as long he knows her and for as long as I can remember. They met very young. Once they were older, around 15, they really started to have strong feelings for each other, but it was right around the time that my father stopped all business with her family. The deal ended very badly so they got in a lot of fights whenever their families would be a subject of conversation.

"This was the biggest reason Cyrus left home. He couldn't see our father without being reminded of what his work made him go through. Plus, he started finding out more and more about what his work was. Corruption, greed, violence, criminality. I didn't hear from him for about 4 months when he called and told me he found a place. That's when I'd go check up on him. He might have been on his own for a while, but he was concentrated on working and surviving. He wasn't left alone with his 'Emily thoughts' up until he found an apartment. Every night I checked up, he was either bruised from a fight or beating himself drunk. He tried dating, but no one made him forget about Em. He ran into her in a store 3, 3 and half years ago. Feelings came pouring back, they survived a life or death situation in Italy, which is a story I think you should hear from them, and after that, they were glued to each other like they were meant to be."

"That is a crazy story." I pause. "But how does that explain the secrecy over the baby? Who is still after him?"

"The people who almost killed them both in Italy. Pete worked with them over there. And I guess he knows that they are here with Pete. It's probably why he didn't want to take the deal."

"Oh," is all I manage to let escape my mouth thinking over what they could have gone through in Italy. How it must have felt to have such strong feelings rush back after all those years. It really must have been true love.

"Hey, Darius? Are you going somewhere now? Or are you just walking me to the university?"

"I'm walking you to school. You looked like you wanted to talk too, so I figured a walk would be good for us after all this information you had to process. Kind of counter effective when I gave you all this info during the walk."

I can't help, but laugh. "Thanks, I did need company."

"So, this is you." We stop in front of the entrance to the school park, the one that we see out our dorm room window.

"You want to come in? We can order some food and watch a movie with Cass."

"I'll come inside with you to congratulate Cass on her major, but I'll head back. I'm kind of tired."

"How did you find out about Cass choosing her major?" I say leading him inside.

"In the car, with Cyrus. I overheard you both talking about it in the back."

"Sneaky."

"Yeah, well, you're both loud." He chuckles.

The halls are less crowded than normal. It's usually the time when everyone go out. I take out my key from my pocket and unlock the door.

"Cass, it's me, May. Where are you?"

I give Darius an unsure look and I see that he's wearing one too.

"Cass?" I go around the room quickly and frantically.

"She's not here," I exclaim going into the bathroom.

"May, over here."

I walk out to where he's standing, anxious, because Darius' every word held worry.

I stand beside him over Cass' bed.

A letter is there.

You thought I was asking for your cooperation? It reads.

On it, are Cass' rings, bloody, staining the paper.

My bottom lip quivers and tears start welling up in my eyes.

"Darius?"

He looks at me as worried. I can't hold it in anymore.

I break down and he quickly grabs me and keeps me together in between his arms and chest.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 72 18
Atticus Deane was just a boy; a broken, misguided boy. It was an accident; no one told him how to play life's game. He had to make up his own rules...
291 65 28
Being able to create alternate universes in your sleep might seem like the ultimate super power, but when a malevolent force from the dream realm tra...
3.5K 107 18
There are two paths given in life. When two people who chose different paths collide incidentally, it became psychedelic. ft. lacy
81 0 7
Five friends-seperated into five different bunkers during a terrorist attackon their beloved sleepaway camp. Dealing with the terror in their own way...