The Next Alpha King (No longe...

By HearMeScream

Grace Faith is nobody. The only person she talks to is her best friend Lily and sometimes even this one guy n... More

Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Bonus Chapter (1)
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
No longer updating (2021)
Final Chapter

Chapter Two

130K 3.7K 618
By HearMeScream

Chapter two

I’m an idiot.

At least, he wasn’t following me. When I got close to the forest entrance, I shifted back and put on my clothes. Then I started to run to school. I had to tell Lily.

I doubt that the prince would want me though. My heart started hurting when I thought of him rejecting me. Why would he want somebody like me? I was a chubby girl with black hair and was really short. I also had glasses which made me look like a nerd. He deserves a supermodel, not me. He didn't even chase me, which is one sign that he wouldn't want me. He looked happy to find me though so why didn't he?

Wait, that means he goes to school on Monday? Oh joy, kill me. Luckily, when you’re in your human form you find out who your mate is when there’s contact. At least I think that happens. I don’t know if it still happens if you already met your mate through wolf form. Wolves can smell their mate when they’re nearby. So that means I’m not shifting ever again. I’m hoping that when he comes into school, he doesn’t recognize my scent.

Was this called rejecting though? Do I really want to reject him?

No, of course I don’t. But he deserves somebody better. I was antisocial and shy. Nobody wants that as a queen. A part of me really wanted to be with him.

When I got inside the school, the bell rang and I went to find Lily. It was lunch right now I think so I went into the cafeteria. I ran to her table, ignoring the stares of other people. They were probably wondering why I was running.

“Lily,” I say panting.

“Hey Grace,” She smiles. “How was your run?”

I sighed and tried to regain my breath. “I don’t even know if it was supposedly good or bad.”

She stared at me confusingly. “What do you mean?”

I looked at the others sitting with us. They were chatting among each other. The only one who was listening to us was Dean. We usually sat by humans but he was a wolf too. I guess I can trust Dean, seeing as he has been a close friend of ours. I eyed both of them and they instantly knew that it had wolf matters. So, we all got up and exited the café.

We head to the library. Before they could ask what happened I said, “I think I found my mate.” Dean’s eyes widened and Lily formed a grin.

“That’s awesome!” Lily exclaims. Dean smiled at me but it didn’t reach his eyes. I glanced questionably at him but decided to ignore it.

“But,” I added.

“But?” Dean says.

“I don’t know if we could be together.”

“What makes you think that?” Lily gives me an outrageous look.

“He deserves somebody better.”

“Grace,” Dean says softly, “Why would you think that?”

“I’m not suited to be his mate.”

“Tell me his name and I’ll tell you if you are or aren’t!” Lily says almost shouting.

I sighed. “Well, I think it’s the prince.”

“The next alpha king?” Dean questions.

“Oh my god, I knew it!” Lily shouts and tackles me into a hug. “I think you would be the best-est queen in the whole wide world, Grace!”

I rolled my eyes. “You’re just saying that because I’m your best friend.”

She glares at me. “I’m just saying that because you will be a great queen. Hell, you are the smartest student in 11th grade! They need someone smart to rule the population.”

“Whatever you say,” I retorted and crossed my arms. “You know I’m not going to believe you.”

“You’re so stubborn sometimes.”

“More like all the time,” Dean says. I glare at him and he chuckles. “What I don’t get though is why you’re still here and not mated to the most powerful wolf in the world.”

I chuckled nervously, “About that…”

Lily sighs, “What did you do now?”

“Well, I was in wolf form and I guess I took a nap-“

“And here I thought you were out for a real run,” Lily interrupts. Dean shushes her and urges me to continue.

“I woke up and found him staring at me. I growled at him and knew he was an alpha. I thought I’d get my head bitten off since I was basically disrespecting him, only I didn’t-“

“Aw,” Lily coos, “That sounds adorable. Let me guess, he didn’t because you were his mate!”

“Stop interrupting me Lily,” I say annoyed.

She grins at me and says, “Sorry.”

“Well, he went up and sniffed me and I knew he was my mate and I was so happy until he shifted back.”

“Let me guess,” Dean says, “You ran away cause you didn't know what to do?”

I smiled cheekily at him and nodded. Dean shook his head and smiled. Lily on the other hand wasn’t smiling.

“How could you do that to such a hot, sexy alpha king?!” Lily exclaims. Before I knew it, I growled at Lily for thinking about my mate like that. Her eyes grew wide.

Dean chuckled, “Somebody’s a bit possessive over their mate that they ran from.”

I glared at him. Dean was sort of right though. I can’t get mad at somebody for thinking that. I mean, he is really hot. But I bet he would go for someone like Lily so I can’t help but feel jealous. I stopped growling and apologized to Lily.

“It’s fine. But now that you’re becoming the next queen, you won’t be going to college,” Lily says worried.

“That is part of the reason why I ran away.  I need some time to think about that,” I say.

“You know that you have to become his mate though. He can’t get his powers unless he finds you and mates with you.”

“He’s a player though. I’ve seen those magazines with him on it. What if he wants me only because he’ll get power?”

“The mating bond is more powerful than that for him to use you. He could plan to do that but also fall for you at the same time.”

“But who would fall for me?” I say solemnly.

“It’s not that hard to fall for someone like you,” Dean says quietly. I stared at him in shock when he said that. I'm not really used to compliments from guys and Dean couldn’t possibly have a crush on me right? Why would he say that? He looked like he just told his biggest secret. “Uh sorry,” He chuckled nervously, “That just came out.”

Lily was just grinning like a mad man at Dean and he glares at her. “Love triangle,” Lily says in our mind link.

I rolled my eyes at her. Dean was cute and was part of the really popular group sometimes but chooses to talk to us. I have had a crush on him but I knew better than to do that because we could have different mates, which is true. Now all I can think about is my mate. I don’t even know his name.

I knew that Dean was probably screaming at Lily in their mind link about what just happened so to break the awkward silence, I asked, “So what’s my mate’s name?”

“How do you not know your own mate’s name when he’s the next heir to the throne?” Lily looks at me incredulously.

I shrugged nonchalantly, “I don’t really pay attention to things I don’t care about.”

“I think his name was Ryder,” Dean answers for her.

I nodded. That name suited him.

“So what are you going to do when Ryder comes here?” Lily asks.

“I’ll probably avoid him. I still have to think about it. Maybe if he doesn’t recognize me as his mate, I could get to know him a little bit better and decide.”

“How are you going to do that?”

“I’d probably avoid his touch.”

“Well,” Dean says, “Good luck Grace.”

I smiled at him, “Thanks Dean.” He smiles back.

Now I can tell Monday was going to be hell for me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

472K 23.4K 65
"Do you remember calling me 'mate?'" he asked softly, pushing her wild curls away from her face. She blushed deeply, but he wouldn't let her look awa...
218 64 23
A half. Half werewolf. When Stan and his pack finds Ivy things turned around for her. Just as she thinks being a half and hanging out with wolves ar...
404K 15.1K 43
C̶l̶i̶c̶h̶e̶ 𝐍𝐨 𝐖𝐚𝐲!! ʸᵒᵘ ᵏⁿᵒʷ ᵗʰᵒˢᵉ ˢᵗᵒʳⁱᵉˢ ʷʰᵉʳᵉ ⁱᵗˢ ᵗʰᵉ ˢʰʸ ˡⁱᵗᵗˡᵉ ᵒᵐᵉᵍᵃ ᵃⁿᵈ ʰᵉʳ ᵐᵃᵗᵉ ⁱˢ ᵗʰᵉ ᵇⁱᵍ ᵇᵃᵈ ᵃˡᵖʰᵃ? ʷᵉˡˡ ʸᵒᵘᵛᵉ ᶠᵒᵘⁿᵈ ˢᵒᵐᵉᵗʰⁱⁿᵍ ᵃ ˡⁱᵗ...
9.3K 1K 12
Once again, we join Marianne and her family. Four years have passed, but the danger of the Mutts have become real with the threat of a war. So Mari a...