Running on the Beach at Night

By akslate

Samantha "Sam" Smith grew in a small town in Martha's Vineyard, called Oak Bluff. Sam never drew out side th... More

Running on the Beach at Night
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 2)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 3)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 4)
Running on the Beach at night (Chapter 5)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 6)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 7)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 8)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 8 Continued)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 9)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 10)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 11)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 12)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 13)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 14)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 15)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 16)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 17)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 18)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 18 continued)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 19)
Running on the beach at Night (Chapter 20)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 21)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 22)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 23)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 24)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 25)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 26)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 27)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 28)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 29)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 30)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 31)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 33)
Running on the Beach at Night (Epilogue)

Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 32)

19.9K 287 22
By akslate

Chapter 32

Recap-

I quickly pulled from him embrace and almost pushed him off the bed. I hated that I would probably never be able to this way with another after Danny. I hated him for it. I looked over at Carter, who was gripping the bed.

"Sam, what happened?" Carter leaned up, trying to get close to me again. "I wasn't going to make you do anything."

I shook my head as he talked. I knew that he wasn't, but that wasn't the fact. The fact was that I was leaving in less than a week to go to New York, and getting all intimate with him would only make things difficult.

What if something like what happened with Danny, happened with Carter. Maybe I didn't love Danny, but I know I had feelings for him. I know my heart ached whenever he was around. What if I had sex with Carter, and fell for him just like I had with Danny?

Then I would have to leave him, and I couldn't stand another heart break. Not that I think I could ever fall for Carter, like I had for Danny. It was just the fact of the matter.

"It's not that Carter." I paced my bedroom floor while he laid there and watched me. "I think you should leave. I can't do this, I am leaving for New York in less than a week."

Suddenly, Carter shifted himself off the bed and walked slowly over to me with a sly grin. And can I say, he looked sexy. As he got closer, he pulled my chin up so that I was looking him right in the eyes. "That's cool Sam. I have a feeling ill be seeing you sooner than you think."

I watched him as he walked out of my room, and I was stunned. The old Carter was seriously gone, he wasn't begging for sex like he used to.

I wonder what he meant by, 'I'll be seeing you sooner than you think?'

Danny's POV

I lay in my bed, thinking about everything under the sun. Tomorrow was my wedding day, and I was the only one that acted like I didn't want to show. I would give anything to be able to just skip out on the whole thing.

Everything was finally paid for, planned out, and everyone was ready except me. My mind thought back to Samantha. I wonder if she would be there. I doubt it. If I saw her face at my wedding, I probably wouldn't be able to say my vows.

I tossed in turned in my bed, and I couldn't manage to fall asleep for more than 15 minutes at a time. What the hell? Tomorrow is supposed to be a big day and I wasn't going to be able to go to sleep? After minutes of tossing and turning again, I finally got up. I couldn't handle it anymore; it was just pissing me off.

When I finally got down stairs, I walked into the kitchen to see Izzy eating a bowl of cereal without milk. I looked at her oddly, and she just smiled. "What are you doing up so late?" She asked with a mouth full of Captain Crunch.

I walked over to the pantry and grabbed the cereal and milk as well and then walked back towards the counter. "Couldn't sleep. What about you?" I asked as she took the biggest bites of her cereal.

"I was hungry." She said while chewing a little bit.

I took my seat beside her, waiting for her to talk again but she stayed quiet. So I stayed quiet as well.

After moment of silence, her phone rang. I quickly took a glimpse at the screen to see who was calling so late and it was Samantha. My heart was nearly pounding out of my chest; all I wanted to do was hear her beautiful voice but she was so far away it felt like.

"Hello?" I heard Izzy say, again with a mouth full of cereal.

After a minute of them chit chatting, I heard Izzy telling her that she would pick her up and give her a ride to the ferry in the morning before the wedding.

Did that mean Samantha wasn't coming to the wedding? My heart fell to the floor as I pushed the full bowl of cereal I had just made away. I looked over to Izzy, who was almost crying.

"Sam, I am just going to miss you so much." Izzy's tears finally broke, and they started running down her face. I was completely confused, where is Samantha going?

I looked at Izzy confused, as she wiped away her tears because she didn't want to cry in front of me, she never did. I watched her as she hung the phone up and I could no longer hold the questions back.

"Where is Sam going?" I asked Izzy.

"She is leaving for New York again." Izzy's eyes started watering again, "She is moving to New York."

I sat there looking at Izzy, confused. Since when was she moving to New York? This was news to me. Izzy's words hit me like a ton of bricks as the realization sunk in, Samantha was leaving me.

She was leaving me for good.

This wasn't supposed to happen; everything was just supposed to work out. I know for a fact that Samantha was the one for me, but she could never be mine if she was leaving me.

I sat there for what seemed like an eternity, in a daze. Thinking about how in reality, it wasn't her fault she was leaving. It was all mine. I ruined everything for her; I told her I loved her. I told her to wait on me, and then I broke things off?

No wonder she was leaving.

I finally pushed myself up off of the stool, I needed to get out of the house for a while and a walk on the beach would do me good I thought. As I walked out the double doors, I immediately felt the cool night air hit my face. It was almost a little too chilly. I turned back and grabbed my hoodie. I pulled it on and zipped it half way up.

I made my way to the water wondering which way I wanted to go. One way led me to The Inn, where Samantha would be and the other way leads me to Charlie's condo. I stood there for a moment before I took a right, towards Samantha's house.

I walked miles, not even noticing that it was starting to rain. The tiny drops hit my face, which only made it colder outside. It had been the first time I had seen it rain all summer. It was sort of refreshing.

I was finally outside The Inn; I turned towards the house and just looked at it. I needed to see her so badly, but she didn't want to see me. I couldn't let her just leave. My gaze lifted to her bed room where I could only see a small amount of light coming through it. I knew she was in there, but I couldn't go.

I walked a short ways past her house and then decided to sit down. I lay back in the sand, and looked up at the sky while tiny drops of water hit my face. Samantha hated me.

I was the reason she was moving away.

Samantha's POV

I hung up the phone with Izzy, who was taking me to the ferry in the morning. She offered, but I really didn't want her too. I was terrible with goodbyes. They were all together, just way too hard for me to handle.

I looked around my empty room that only contained a bed, desk, and a dresser. All of my belongings were gone; it wasn't even my room anymore. My gaze moved to the pile of bags sitting in the middle of the room, and my heart sped up. Tomorrow was the day. It was the day that everything would change. Nothing would ever be the same.

My mind drifted away, as I thought about Danny and Charlie. They would be happily married tomorrow and I would be in New York. Then, I thought to Carter, I hadn't seen him since the other night when I told him to leave. Why did I have to ruin every good thing?

I glanced out the window of my room, to see little droplets of rain coming down and I sighed. I needed to be out there, I needed to run just one last time. I couldn't leave without telling the beach goodbye. Quickly, I turned and grabbed a pair of tennis shoes and slipped them on and I ran down stairs.

When I got outside, everything seemed so quiet, so deserted. No one was ever on the beach at this time of the night, the time I liked it the best. It was so beautiful this time of the night that I almost couldn't stand it. As soon as my feet hit the sand I took off in a dead sprint.

I didn't bother bringing my iPod tonight; I wanted to take in every inch of the beach. I want to see it, and hear it in every way possible.

After I got a little ways, everything seemed to disappear in a way that seemed like it was all just a terrible dream. As I put one leg in front of the other, I picked up my speed knowing that I would go far tonight. I wouldn't stop for anything.

I wouldn't let anything hold me back.

Out of know where though, I heard my name being called. I looked back to see who it was. My feet made an abrupt stop, before I could settle myself I was falling in the sand, face forward. I quickly pushed myself back up and turned towards the figure who was jogging towards me.

They were wearing a pair of black sweat pants with a zip up hoodie. The hood was covering his face, so I couldn't see the features. Was that Carter? I took a step forward as he got closer.

I stood there breathless, as the rain started coming down harder. It was now pretty much pouring outside. "Carter? Is that you?" I squinted my eyes, trying to get a better look but it was no use.

The guy finally reached up to reveal himself, and to my surprise, it wasn't Carter at all.

Danny pulled off his hoodie, looking more beautiful as ever. His curly hair was damp, and the rain drops falling on his bronzed skin only make him look sexier. I looked down at my tangled black hair that fell helplessly down my shoulders. How could he look so damn sexy when I looked so bad?

I finally snapped myself out of my gaze, and then started thinking, what in the hell was he doing here? I was atleast a mile from the Inn. I gave him an odd look, and he smiled sheepishly.

The smiled was different, but it was still Danny standing in front of me. The guy I was madly in love with. The guy that I would have done anything for.

I stood there for a moment, while the rain just pounded harder and harder against my skin. We held gazes at one another, his eyes were so intense that it made me want to melt right then and there.

Be Strong. My mind rambled over and over again.

I didn't want to be strong, I wanted so badly to jump in his arms and kiss him right there but my mind wouldn't let me. Jumping in his arms wouldn't make him break things off with Charlie.

"What are you doing here?" My mouth finally blurted out unconiously.

"I was just taking a walk, and stopped a little ways back." I gestured towards the rocks that laid down towards the water. "And decided to take a break, then you passed by."

An internal laugh ripped through my body, as I tried hard to hold it back. Was Danny stalking me now? I shook my head, and then turned away from him. The more I stood there and looked at him, they more I figured out that things would never be the way I wanted them to be. They would never be the way they were meant to be.

I started walking off, but suddenly I felt Danny's strong arm take me into his embrace. I was now, turned back towards him with our body's pressed hard together.

"Don't walk away from me, Samantha." Danny's deep voice, was somewhat cracking as he said this.

Pull away Sam. Just do it. You don't need him anymore. He will just hurt you again. The thoughts were too much, and I couldn't take it. So, I did what was best, I gently pulled my arm away from him. "Why should I listen to anything you say?" I stepped back a couple of steps from him. I couldn't stand being that near to him.

Danny quickly stepped closer, and reached for me but I moved before he could. "Because, Samantha. You are the one I want."

This time, instead of an internal laugh. It was full on and outloud. "...So I guess that's why you told me a couple of days ago, that you didn't feel the same way about me than you did Charlie?"

Danny's face looked hurt, and sad. "I didn't mean it Sam. Please believe me."

I shook my head; there isn't an inch on my body that could ever believe that again. "No. I won't believe you Danny."

I would never believe him, like I had in the past. I put all my trust in him and got burned. I would never let that happen again. I couldn't handle the heartbreak.

Danny's POV

She had never looked so beautiful before. Her hair was ringing wet, as the rain hit her and her face looked so innocent. She had no makeup on, but she was still a beauty.

Her words hurt though; I had never felt so shitty in my entire life. Everything was falling apart, and there was no way to pull it back together. For the first time in a long time, I had a feeling that I was into something that could never be fixed no matter what.

It was a broken bridge.

My eyes took in all her emotions, actions and everything else. She was now crying, and it took everything in me to stay strong and not cry in front of her; even though, there was a flood of tears to just break out of my eyes.

My eyes finally couldn't stand the sight, so I dropped my gaze to the wet sand. I could hear my voice cracking before I even spoke, "I'd give it all away, just to get you back Samantha."

I finally looked back up to see her walking past me, leaving me. When she got beside me, I saw her frown. "Danny, no you wouldn't. You already proved that to me."

"Don't do this, Sam. Don't go." My eyes sored into hers as more tears fell from her fragile face.

"I have too..." She managed to say, after she choked on her tears. She walked past me, leaving me there.

Before she could get too far, I turned towards her. Calling to her, "You're making a mistake Samantha."

At that moment, she stopped in her tracks and turned towards me. She walked towards me, "The only one who made a mistake her, was you." Her voice was cold, and hateful. "Maybe I'm thankful, maybe I didn't love you as much as I thought I did. So go, be with Charlie because I don't want you anymore."

I reached up to touch her face, and wipe all of her tears away but as soon as my hand touched her soft, delicate skin, she grabbed it. She squeezed my hand for a moment, which reminded me of time I told her to never let go. After a moment of squeezing my hand, she let go.

It felt like a shot in the heart. My heart crashed into my chest, and felt like it could no longer beat as I turned to watch her walking away from me, not looking back.

Samantha and I were finally over and I was even willing to break everything off! No more making love to the one I loved, no more swimming at night, and no more seeing her beautiful smile every day that lights up my world. Suddenly, my heart felt cold. This was the first time I had ever felt so bad, like I had nothing to live for. Her words burned into the back of my mind as I thought back over them.

Maybe I didn't love you as much as I thought I did.

My heart was truly broken. All this time, I was so worried about breaking her heart, which I never thought about her actually breaking mine. I stomped back to the house, vowing to myself that I would never love another like I loved her. Never again, would I care for someone like I cared for Samantha.

So, there is Chapter 32! I hope you guys liked it!

Just saying, I CANT WAIT TO START THE SEQUEL!!

:)

btw, I outlined the rest of Running on the Beach at Night and there are about 2 chapter's left.

So, Please please Comment and vote you guys. It means so much!

Ohhhhhhh and, if any of you guys have book cover making skills let me know! I need a book cover for the sequel badly. So, message me and ill give you the title and stuff! :)

Thanks!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 275 56
"You're supposed to be my best friend, but all I can think about is kissing you again." TEDDY: I somehow got stuck in the unfortunate "one of the guy...
38 3 4
CHAPTER 5 OUT SUNDAY!!! Serena Hansen is a very nonchalant girl, she's quick with insults, uncaring about everything except for her loved ones and g...
427K 14.5K 52
Ivy knows it's time to return to her childhood seaside town to battle the demons of her past. Two years away from her friends, family and the beloved...
1K 111 40
"What?" He asked, pulling me from my daydream again. I chuckled, biting my lip again. "Are you thinking about me naked?" He asked jokingly. I blushed...