Running on the Beach at Night

By akslate

Samantha "Sam" Smith grew in a small town in Martha's Vineyard, called Oak Bluff. Sam never drew out side th... More

Running on the Beach at Night
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 2)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 3)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 4)
Running on the Beach at night (Chapter 5)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 6)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 7)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 8)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 8 Continued)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 9)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 10)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 11)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 12)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 13)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 14)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 15)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 16)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 17)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 18)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 18 continued)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 19)
Running on the beach at Night (Chapter 20)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 21)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 22)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 23)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 24)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 25)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 26)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 27)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 28)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 29)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 31)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 32)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 33)
Running on the Beach at Night (Epilogue)

Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 30)

20.4K 282 16
By akslate

Chapter 30

As I sat in the passenger seat of Carter’s nice BMW, I watched him. Every move he made, my eyes watched. Part of me felt like, I kind of sort of, maybe had a crush on him. It had been three days since our fiasco with Danny, I hadn’t heard from him or seen him. Izzy had invited me over a couple of times, but I declined. I think deep down she knew why, she just didn’t want to admit it.

I studied Carter’s bruised jaw, and then shook my head. “I still can’t believe he did that to you!”

He glanced over at me and laughed, “Well, you can believe it baby. I have battle wounds to show.” He ran his hands across the bruise, “…But you know I’m a tough guy. I can handle a little bit of pain.”

I laughed at his ending comment. Carter couldn’t stand the pain of a needle, much less a punch in the face. I remember perfectly, I had to take Carter to the doctor one time during our senior year. I seriously thought he was going to cry when the doctor pulled out a needle on him.

Even though Carter acted like the tough guy, he was no where near it. I would just call him the pretty boy, if it were up to me. Him being all bad and tough was just an act.

We finally stopped in front of the post office. I looked down at the big envelope that was lying in my hand. Am I sure this is what I want to do?

I hesitated as I put my hand on the door handle of his car. I looked over at Carter, “Samantha, go.”

I wasn’t sure if I wanted to mail the contract just yet. It was all happening so fast, what if I changed my mind?

My mind knew exactly what I needed to do, it knew what was best for me; but my heart kept telling me to wait. Wait for him. He was liable to change his mind. Right?

At that moment, I snapped out of my gaze and I looked to Carter, who was leaned over me to open the door since I wouldn’t.

Carter gave me a little push on the shoulder, “Your being a pussy.”

I winced at the word he used. I never understood why guys had to say that word. Why not, your being a wuss, or your being a coward? It had to be that word.

“I’m not sure Carter.” I looked over at him, and frowned. “What if everything goes wrong?”

“What could possibly go wrong?” He asked in a more serious tone.

“Everything.” I answered him quietly, knowing I was only making up excuses.

At that moment, Carter quickly grabbed the envelope out of my hand. I tried to reach back out for it, but he was already out of the car, walking up the stairs of the post office.

After a couple of minutes Carter was walking out of the place grinning. I watched him as he jumped back in the car, “Carter! Why did you do that?”

“Well, someone had too.” He said, as he put the car back into drive.

“I would have…” I told him, as I looked out the window at all the tourist that walked around outside.

“Yeah, it would have taken you another hour or so to make up your mind.” He laughed as he glanced down at his watch. “…And honestly, I didn’t have time for that.”

I looked at him oddly, “What do you mean?”

“I have a try out this afternoon.” He said quietly, as he kept driving.

A tryout? “A tryout for what?” I asked curiously.

I looked at him, as he sat there smiling. He kept his eye relaxed on the road and then shrugged his shoulders.

I reared my arm back, and pushed him right in the arm. He winced as he felt it, “Damnit Samantha that is my pitching arm!”

I giggled a little bit, as he looked over and gave me a mean look. “Well, you should have told me.”

“Since when did you become so violent?” He laughed as he ran his hand over his arm, “But, if you insist on knowing, I have a pitching try out today.”

I watched him closely as he took a deep breath in and then continued talking, “Scouts are coming to watch me today.”

“What? Carter, that is amazing!” I looked over at him and smiled, but he only shrugged.

“It’s only a tryout. That’s why I didn’t tell anyone.” He confessed. “Plus, you know I’m not going anywhere.”

Carter had always been an amazing baseball player. Let me rephrase, he had always been an amazing pitcher. Carter blushed as he drove; I had to say it was more than cute. Carter never used to blush about anything.

The rest of the ride home was silent. Carter didn’t say anything else, so I didn’t either. I felt like if I kept talking about it, I would be getting into uncomfortable territory for him. So, I shut up.

We finally made it back to The Inn after thirty minutes of cruising the town and taking in the beautiful day. It was just like every other day in the Vineyard but they never got old. The sun was shining bright and the wind was blowing just enough.

As he stopped the car, I reached for the door handle to get out. I turned towards Carter and then smiled. “Thanks for making me do that today.”

Carter laughed, “What are you talking about? I did it!”

I flashed Carter a callous look, “Well, you made me sign it. That’s what I am talking about.

He reached over, and touched my cheek slightly. “Well, you deserve the best and I didn’t want you to pass something up, that is so important to you.”

My cheeks turned red as I heard the words coming out of his mouth, “Your sweet, Carter.”

Carter quickly pulled his hand away from my face and blushed, “..But not sweet enough, huh?” I watched as Carter chuckled a little bit, and then looked down to his hands that laid still in his lap.

My cheeks burned with embarrassment as he talked. What in the world is he talking about?? “Carter, what do you mean?”

Carter finally laughed and looked over at me, “Nothing, Samantha. I just blurted out something that shouldn’t have been said.”

I wasn’t sure how to take his comment. Did that mean Carter still had feelings for me after all this time? I took a deep breath, as I tried to figure out if I should just drop the whole situation or atleast try to figure out what he was trying to say.

I locked eyes with Carter, “You can tell me.”

Carter suddenly looked down at his watch, and then looked back to me. “Sorry, no time. I have to be at the field in thirty minutes.”

I quickly nodded my head and reached for the door handle again, but this time before I could open it, Carter easily grabbed my arm. He almost pulled me across the seat to him.

I watched as he smiled one of the most sexiest smiles I had ever seen before he pressed his lips onto mine. For a moment, I was stunned at the fact that his was kissing me again. Never in a million years would I have thought I would catch myself kissing my ex-boyfriend.

Finally after seconds of having his lips pressed to mine, I parted my lips letting his tongue wander all in my mouth.

I liked it. I liked kissing Carter.

After minutes of making out with him, he finally pulled away and I sat there helplessly. I didn’t know if I should say something, or if he would say the first words. It was the first kiss we shared, and it wasn’t because we were trying to make Danny jealous.

Carter pulled away from my gaze after a moment, I watched as a smile crept upon his face. “That was even better than the other night.”

I still sat there speechless. I was mad at myself for actually liking Carter kissing me. I wasn’t sure if I actually had feelings for him though, I would always love him; but I wasn’t sure if I could ever be in love with him again.

Danny’s pov

Today the ferry was crowded. I guess it was because it was the end of the summer, most tourist were probably headed home by now. I watched as everyone started pouring off the ferry in groups, I didn’t even think about moving because it would be another 15 minutes before I would get anywhere. I looked around for Charlie, she was the only reason I was on this thing today. We had another wedding planner meeting, and I just had to attend.

If it were my choice, I would be doing something else. Maybe planning on how I could get Samantha back?

Samantha. Automatically, my mind went back to the other morning when I found her and Carter in bed together. My stomach turned as I thought of it, how could she?

My hands tightened around the railing making my knuckles turn white. Where had I gone wrong? What was I doing here?

The events of that morning played back in my mind over and over, but I still couldn’t believe that it happened. How could she get over me so quickly?

“Danny! What are you doing over here?” I felt Charlie’s hand wrapping around my arm as she talked. “We are on a specific time schedule, didn’t I tell you that?”

I watched Charlie as she pulled me towards the exit. I didn’t have any desire to come here with her. I yanked my arm out of her embrace, “Charlie, we aren’t going to be late.”

I kept my eyes off of hers as I let her pass me and walk ahead of me. I wanted to be alone right now; I didn’t want to have anyone nagging on me.

An hour later we sat in the office of our wedding planner. I looked around and took things in. For a moment, I was scared shitless. This was definitely making everything for sure. There was no backing out after this day, not for me at least.

The walls in the office were white, and there were huge bouqets of colorful flowers all around the room. I cringed at the thought of getting married to Charlie.

“So, first we need to talk about financial things.” I leaned back in the chair, and watched the older lady with black and grey hair talking strictly to Charlie.

“My dad has that all taken care of, he said he would be here in the middle of the week sometime to pay you off.”

I could tell that this woman was as snobby as they came. She even dressed like a snob. I kept my eyes on her as she didn’t even glance up from the piece of paper she was holding in her hands.

“…You said you wanted a sunflower wedding, correct?” She asked, and then peered up at Charlie.

“Yes mam, that is what we decided, right Hun?” Charlie looked over at me for a minute before she laid her hand on top of mine.

I didn’t really say much, and the women behind the desk looked at me with mean eyes. I nodded yea, “Its whatever you like, babe.”

I couldn’t hide the fact that I was totally uninterested in these things they were talking about. Charlie and the woman both knew I didn’t want to be there. There was no hiding it.

After what seemed like hours in the wedding planner’s office we were finally on our way home. Everything seemed so unreal, the fact that I was getting married, and the fact that I lost the one that I actually loved. I didn’t want these things to be the way they were.

I watched Charlie as she sat on the ferry, she smiled at me from afar and the only thing I could think about was the fact that I could manage to hurt the one I really love and care about, for the one that doesn’t mean anything to me.

What in the hell had I been thinking all this time?

 Samantha's POV

“He did what?!” I listened to Grant from the other side of the telephone. It was so good to hear his voice. It seemed like these day’s Grant was the only one to keep me in line.

After Carter had dropped me off earlier, I went straight inside to call Grant and tell him that I had send the contract and then we got off of the subject of Danny.

Go figure.

I had filled him in on everything that had happened between me and Danny in the past week, only because he told me too though. If it were my choice, I would have just kept it inside and told no one. “He knocked the shit out of Carter, because he thought that I had slept with him.” I answered.

After a moment of silence, I heard Grant hysterically laughing which almost made me giggle a little bit. “What’s so funny?” I asked.

“The fact that he is just such a man. He doesn’t want you, but you can’t have anyone else. What a douche bag.” I laughed as I heard Grant venting. Other than Carter, he was the only one that had been able to make me laugh lately.

“Well, I informed the Bennett’s that your contract is on its way, being sent via mail. They have already started getting everything ready, you can be here within a week Samantha.”

I was speechless at the thought of leaving here so soon. I mean I knew it would happen, but it was all happening too fast. I hardly had time to think about it anymore. 

“Samantha?” I heard Grants voice, it felt like it was so far away. “Sammy? You know Cannon and I both, will be there to take care of you.”

I smiled at what Grant had just told me. I missed him so bad that I would leave tomorrow just to see him. He was the only thing that actually kept me from going insane. “I know you will, Grant. Thanks so much.”

“Anything for you. Now, do I need to book a plane ride for you?”

As I heard Grant mentioning a plane ride, I started to shake. Anything but a plane ride. “Do you think I could come by train?” I asked.

Grant laughed out loud as I asked, “Yes sweetheart, you can. I’ll make sure to book it through the company and send you the information over email. So check it.”

“I will,” I smiled over the phone. “I can’t wait to see you Grant.”

My life as I knew it was about to change completely, and I had to get used to the fact. No more running on the beach, I would be running in the streets of New York. There wouldn’t be any more swimming in the ocean at night. I took a deep breath, and then smiled. Things would get better, they always do. New York was my one and only chance, and I wouldn’t give that up.

“Can’t wait to see you either. I’ll talk to you later.” Grant hung up the phone and I sat there for a minute and looked around at my room.

What now?

I had to say, things were getting boring around the Vineyard. I guess it was because summer was ending and everyone was heading home. Change is a good thing, you could say. I would meet new people, and see new places and that excited me so much.

As for now, though I only had a couple of more days in the Vineyard, I might as well get out and take it all in before I had to leave it. I grabbed my shoes and a light jacket and headed down the stairs.

I wonder if Carter would mind if I took a peep during his tryout. I would make myself unknown. As I got down the stairs, I grabbed my car keys and jumped in my car. I rolled every window down so that my hair was blowing every way, and I turned my music up as loud as it would go.

Today, I was turning over a new leaf. I would relieve myself of all the bull shit I went through this summer and I would be happy. No more sad Samantha.

So, very short chapter. I wasnt exactly proud of it, but i am trying to make it longer so it wont be straight to the point of the ending. So hang in there with me, I know this wasnt my best but I promise the next chapter will make up for this one :)

Thanks for reading.

FAN/COMMENT/VOTE!!

and maybe tell a friend :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39 0 15
• Book 1 of the On Island Time Series • luke goldstein had always had a thing for ozzie blake. they've been in the same group of friends since they w...
6.4K 297 23
Just a week before she was supposed to get married 20 year old Summer's fiance calls off the wedding and leaves town with one of her best friends. Fe...
38 3 4
CHAPTER 5 OUT SUNDAY!!! Serena Hansen is a very nonchalant girl, she's quick with insults, uncaring about everything except for her loved ones and g...
418 15 5
Samantha Hastings spent her life in her older brother's shadow. He had it all: good looks, insanely smart, pretty girlfriend, handsome best friend...