#2 Our City, Our Rules (A Chi...

By BrianaHernandez95

The sequel to the smash hit Wattpad story "All We Never Said". This book is the second in the "Chicago Heroes... More

Preface
Chapter 1 "Unlucky Charms"
Chapter 2 "Bullets, Flames and Not Enough Oxygen"
Chapter 3 "Bloodshed and Bad Luck"
Chapter 4 "This Isn't The First Time"
Chapter 5 "You Do The Crime, You Do The Time"
Chapter 6 "The Beginning of The End"
Chapter 7 "Listen to Hannah"
Chapter 8 "Kim and Leslie in Custody"
Chapter 9 "I Told You So"
Chapter 10 "Hanging On By a Moment"
Chapter 11 "Memories and Stephanie Tells the Truth"
Chapter 12 "A Mini Erin"
Chapter 13 "You Need a Reality Check"
Chapter 14 "Lies, She Told"
Chapter 15 "Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures"
Chapter 16 "Just When Were You Gonna Tell Me About Raelyn Mills?"
Chapter 17 "Line of Duty Death"
Chapter 18 "Moving On"
Chapter 19 "The Bar, Lust and A New Love"
Chapter 20 "Risking My Life for My Sister"
Chapter 21 "The Deadly Save and Sickness"
Chapter 22 "Jonah Halstead"
Chapter 23 "Who Stole The Gun?"
Chapter 24 "Crappy Birthday"
Chapter 25 "The Things I Do For You"
Chapter 26 "Rehab For Her"
Chapter 27 "The Story of Erin"
Chapter 28 "A Familiar Face"
Chapter 29 "Otis's Secret"
Chapter 30 "Memory Lane"
Chapter 31 "The Future"
Chapter 32 "Jonah Says Goodbye"
Chapter 33 "Only Time Will Tell"
Chapter 34 "What Brought Us Together"
Chapter 36 "Nothing Short of a Miracle"
Chapter 37 "Nothing Will Be The Same"
Chapter 38 "Missing Two"
Chapter 39 "Surprise"
Chapter 40 "Officer Down"

Chapter 35 "Life Lessons"

628 19 9
By BrianaHernandez95

Kim was sitting at her desk, her eyes kept glancing over at a photo of her and Sean. When he died, she wanted to hide the photo from sight, so she would never have to look at it ever again.

"Hey girl. What's wrong?" Leslie asked when she noticed the somber expression on Kim's face.

"Oh nothing. I was just thinking about Roman again. I miss him."

"I do too. Clarice has become a royal pain in my ass. I would give anything to deal with Sean's constant whining about my driving again."

"He was my patrol partner before I moved up here. Remember the time we were held hostage?"

"Yeah."

"He told me to leave him behind and get the hell out of there, but I didn't listen. I told him he was coming with me, even if I had to drag his ass out. I wasn't going to leave him there to die."

"He didn't care for me too much when I started out. He was mad cause I was a 'rookie' but I told him to suck it up. He said he didn't want to end up falling in love with his partner again, so I told him I don't go for garden hoses."

They couldn't stop laughing when she realized what she had said.

"Did I really just say that out loud?"

"Yeah, you did." Kim said, still laughing.

"What's so funny?" Trudy asked, coming in from the tech room.

"Nothing."

They both shut up real quick.

"Yeah that's what I thought. Hey when you guys see Erin, tell her that this letter came for her. I don't know who it's from and I don't care." She said, dropping it on Kim's desk before disappearing again.

"Who's it from?"

"I don't know." She said, picking up the letter.

She examined it closely and it had some address on it that she couldn't make out. When looked at more closely, she could see "Jonah Halstead" on the sender's address.

Instead of looking at it, she left it on Erin's desk and continued what she had been doing before.

"So how do you feel about Brayden and Hannah starting middle school tomorrow?"

"Don't remind me. I feel old enough as it is."

"How does Adam feel about it?"

"Every time the kids remind him, he just tells them to shut up."

They both laughed.

"Ember starts kindergarten tomorrow."

"Already? Wow."

"I can't believe it either. My big girl grew up too fast."

"How does Kelly feel?"

"He said he's gonna be bawling like a baby tomorrow. We're definitely not ready."

"At least Ashley will be with her. They're in the same class, I think."

"That would be good."

She eyed the photo of when she was pregnant with the twins. "Can you believe how huge I was? Atwater kept telling me I had one too many donuts. Jerk."

They laughed again.

"I said what?"

They turned around to see that he had entered the room.

"NOTHING. Get back to work!"

"Well damn." He said, sarcastically

"Daddy!" A little boy's voice said.

"Daddy?" Kim and Leslie said, looking as shocked as ever.

"You didn't know I had a kid?"

"And just when were you gonna tell us you're a father?"

"I told you guys about five years ago. Do you not remember the temporary replacement we had for Nadia?"

"No."

"Nadia was out on maternity leave."

"We don't remember that."

"Neither of you remember Amber?"

Leslie walked out of the room, feeling like an ass.

"What was that about?" Kevin asked.

"The building collapse was the day before they were supposed to get married."

"I'm sorry..."

"I'm not the one you should be apologizing to."

"Kim, I didn't-"

"Go talk to her, I've got some business to take care of. I'll be back later."

He followed her into the locker room, finding her sitting on the bench. Her knees were pulled close to her face and she was sitting there in silence.

"I'm really sorry for bringing her up. I didn't-"

"Don't worry about it." She said, wiping some tears from her eyes.

"Wanna talk?"

"No. The day before the building collapse, we had just finished the last little details of our honeymoon. We were going to jet off to Bora Bora for a few weeks. We were even planning on a baby. It's been four years since she died and I'm just...I'm still not over it. She was such a pain in my ass, but I loved her. I really really loved her. I'm never gonna find the one."

"She's out there, somewhere."

"I guess I'm gonna stay single for the rest of my life. Why do I even bother?"

"Don't say that."

"Too much depressing stuff has been happening lately. Amber, Sean, Julie, Chilli...we're losing so many good people. You might as well rename this place the City of Depression."

"They all died doing what they loved most. Amber, Sean and Julie died protecting innocent people. You knew them, they always put others before them and that's just part of the job. Chilli died saving people. You know how many people she managed to save? If that's not brave, than I don't know what is. They're not forgotten. You need to stop thinking that this is your fault."

"Everything always is."

"Don't say that. Me and every other cop that works in this district, we're family. And family is there for each other. Through thick and thin, no matter what."

***Over at the Firehouse***

"Guess who's now a licensed driver in the state of Illinois?!" Mackenzie said, flashing her temporary license.

Matt nearly choked on his coffee. "What did you just say?"

"I took the written and driver's test. I passed with flying colors."

"Good job, kid!" Hermann said, giving her a hug.

"Dad, when can I drive the truck?"

"When I'm dead." He said, going back to reading the newspaper and sipping his coffee.

"Mom! Can I drive the truck?"

"What did your father say?"

"When he's dead."

"There's your answer." She laughed as she walked into the kitchen.

"Rae! Can I drive your car?!"

"Not a chance. I just bought that car like two weeks ago."

"Hey kid, don't forget. Your butt is getting up at five tomorrow morning."

"What?! Why?!"

"School."

"It's still summer!"

"Today is the last day of summer, for you guys anyway. School starts tomorrow. I'm surprised you didn't figure that out when your mother took you shopping a few days ago."

"Don't even start with me."

***The Next Morning***

"Hannah Mae Ruzek! Hurry your butt up! Other people have to use the bathroom!" Adam said, banging on the door.

She poked her head out. "Wait a minute, Adam. I'll be done in just a second."

When she went back in, he was looking at the door funny. "Did she just call me Adam?"

"Is she still in the bathroom?" Brayden whined. "I have to get my backpack out of there."

"What's your backpack doing in there?"

"I was too lazy to bring it into my room last night."

When she was done, she tried running past her father. "Get back here young lady!"

She hid under the table in the kitchen. Kim, who was cooking breakfast, looked under he table. "What are you doing?"

"Hiding from dad."

"You have makeup on, don't you?"

She nodded.

"It's just eyeliner and mascara, right? Nothing else?"

"You said that was okay, so that's all I did."

"Alright, where is she?"

"Where's who?" Kim asked, playing dumb.

"Our daughter."

"She's right there on the couch watching Rugrats."

"I meant our other daughter."

She shrugged. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Hannah's under the table!" Brayden said, moving one of the dining table chairs.

"You are so dead." She said, glaring at him.

She tried dashing out the door, but was caught.

"Dad, I gotta catch the bus."

"The bus doesn't get here for another forty five minutes. And what is that on your face?!"

"Eyes, nose, ears, a mouth."

"That's not what I meant. I meant the stuff on your eyes."

"Stuff."

"Hannah."

"But mom said I could wear it!"

"Did you tell her she could wear it?"

"I said only a little bit."

She opened the door. "HOLY CRAP. It's freaking cold!" She yelled, quickly slamming the door shut again.

She dug through the hall closet and found her Chicago Police Department sweatshirt and threw it on over her shirt.

"You're just mad because you miss Noah." Brayden teased.

"Noah?! Gross. I hated that kid."

"You guys hung out all summer at camp. Don't act like you don't like him."

"I don't. He's a jerk."

"Hannah, mom said the same thing about dad and look what happened."

"I'd rather sit through Platt scolding me for six hours instead of going to school."

"Don't we all?"

After breakfast, the bus pulled up right on time.

"Time to get outta here!" Hannah said, running for the door.

"Don't forget, we're picking you guys up today."

"You guys should come in one of the patrol cars, that ought to scare everyone."

When they got to school, a familiar face sat behind Hannah in class. The kid poked her in the back.

"Did yah miss me?"

She turned around. "NOAH?!"

He smirked. "And you thought you were rid of me. You won't be now, we're stuck in the same class all year long."

She raised her hand. "Excuse me, Ms. Johnson?"

"Yes Hannah?"

"Can you remove this moron from your classroom?"

"Why?"

"Can I at least change seats?"

"No. The seat you have is gonna be your seat for the rest of the year."

She turned and Noah was making a face at her.

"Get used to it, cupcake."

"Call me that one more time, I'm gonna whack you in the face with my science book!"

A minute before the bell, Brayden came walking in and sat next to Noah.

"Listen, Noah. That's my sister. Myself and myself only, can pick on her. I catch you doing it, even once, I'm gonna kick your butt. Got it?"

"I'm just teasing her."

"You don't wanna do that. She's a miniature version of our mother. When our mother gets mad, that's some scary stuff."

"Like your mother getting mad will scare me. I don't know her."

At lunch that day, Noah sat next to Hannah.

"Get away from me or I swear I'll-"

"You'll what?"

"Get away from her!" Tatum said, coming over and pushing him off the bench.

"Thanks."

"I apologize for my stupid brother. Once he finds someone to annoy, he doesn't give up."

"I can see that."

"Get away from her or I'll tell the whole school you have a crush on her."

"How did you know?! WAIT-"

"I knew it!"

"Just don't say anything to anyone."

"No promises."

When he left, the girls started chatting.

"I never knew you lived in Chicago." Hannah said.

"We do now. We moved here a few weeks ago."

"Oh cool. Where?"

"Down by the twenty first district station, actually. We live two streets over from it."

"My parents work there!"

"That is pretty cool. What do they do?"

"They're detective's in Voight's unit."

"That guy scares me!"

"He scares everyone."

"Too true."

"So do you live with your mom and dad?"

"I've never met my dad. He left when I was born, we haven't heard from him since. I suppose if he doesn't want to be in my life, that I don't wanna be in his."

"I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault. My mom always said he wasn't that nice of a guy, anyway."

"What about a boyfriend or step father?"

"My mom is just too worried about getting hurt again."

"I have an idea."

"What?"

"Why don't you guys come to the Police/Fireman's Ball tonight?"

"Isn't that a formal event and by invitation only?"

"Well yeah, but I can invite you since my parents are part of the event. Do you guys wanna come? Even dumb dumb Noah can come if he wants."

"Yeah, that would be great." Tatum smiled.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.6K 588 18
Since forever, nobody knows when and where its life gonna fly in pieces, when everything gonna change or when he gonna die. But, a thing that everyon...
191K 2.7K 85
This story based on 2 years after Erin left to go to New York to take a job to keep Bunny out of jail. I kept Alvin Olinksey alive in the story as we...
82.9K 1.1K 19
"𝐻𝑒𝑙𝑙𝑜, 911." "𝐻𝑖, 𝐼'𝑑 𝑙𝑖𝑘𝑒 𝑡𝑜 𝑟𝑒𝑝𝑜𝑟𝑡 𝑎 𝑚𝑖𝑠𝑠𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑝𝑒𝑟𝑠𝑜𝑛." Set in the end of July 2020, one simple call could uncove...
23K 585 29
Warning: This is the fourth book in a series. I recommend you go back and read the others starting with "Fight Her" and/or the part in "Protect Her"...