A Beating Heart

By HollyMD

Colby is an almost seven hundred year old Vampire that's had a less than thrilling life; she hates everything... More

Meet Colby
Curiousity
Monsters in Fairytales
Hunting Shay
Puzzle Piece One
Mysterious Creatures
Puzzle Piece Two
More Questions, Less Answers
Clues All Around You
Puzzle Piece Three
Pieces That Don't Belong
Only For You
Old Players, New Parts
At What Cost?

Didn't See That one Coming

1.4K 112 6
By HollyMD

The drive home from Shay's is a blur. 

Why you ask?

Well, because all I can think about is her lips.

How soft they were, how amazing they felt against my own, and how much I missed them as soon as I left.

And right now at this moment I'd rather be anywhere than here at this dinner table.

Dinner is awkward to say the least, because every time I look at my mother I replay Shay's words in my head. 'It's your mother's secret to tell?'

What secret and what does my mom have to do with Shay's family?

How could I have not known this entire time that my mom had something to do with all this? I thought my dad told her less than he told me...

Or maybe that's what they want me to think?

Maybe I should just ask... ask and see what she says. Maybe I can just gauge her reaction.

"Mom what do you know about Shape shifters?" I ask and then stuff a fork full of turkey into my mouth nonchalantly.

I notice three things happen at once: Drake chokes on whatever he was chewing, Jack looks thoroughly disinterested as she reads her trashy teen novel about whatever trashy teen novels are about and my dad's eyes go wide.

I make a face as I chew my food, tasting it like I've never tasted it before. It's bland, in serious need of some salt or something. I try to hide my revulsion.

"Shape shifters?" She places her fork down on her plate and looks up at me.

"Mhm." I nod. "What do you know about them?"

"Colby?" Drake hisses.

"What?" I shrug at him and turn back to my mother. I'm tired of all this run around bull crap. I want to know what the hell is going on and I want to know now.

"Have you been hanging around with a shape shifter, Colby?" My dad barks, starling everyone at the table.

I narrow my eyes at him then glance briefly at Drake. He's shaking his head, pleading with me not to do this, but why?

"I..." I swallow the lump in my throat. I should just tell them. I should tell them now and get this over with. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? They could forbid you from seeing her that's what! My subconscious makes an appearance. I look at Drake again; his eyes are begging me to be smart. "No," I shake my head. "I was just wondering what mom knew about them. That's all." I lie.

Drake releases a quiet sigh and takes a sip of his water. My dad's eyes soften as he glances over at my mom. She still hasn't said anything. Jack goes back to whatever she was doing on her phone.

"Mom," I say to remind her of my earlier question. She looks nervous. Why would she be nervous?

She glances warily at my dad and for some reason I get an uneasy feeling. "Not much, Colby." She replies, turning her attention back to me. "Only what I've read in books." She adds with a smile. I know that smile, that isn't her genuine smile. That's the smile she reserves for us when she has to lie to us about something. Which means, right now, in this moment... she's lying to me.

"May I be excused?" I ask, pushing back from the table. All of my family members stare at me like I've just sprouted a third eyeball. I just can't be here right now with them. There's too much going on in my head and apparently my mother is a liar.

"But you haven't touched your blood honey." My mother points out.

"I'm not in the mood." I reply quickly. "May I go?" I thumb towards the stairs. My mom and dad share a look before they both turn back to me and nod.

I waste no time heading up to my room and shutting the door. I lock it for good measure, then walk over to my window and climb out of it. I climb out and down with ease this time. I grab my bike from the side of the house and head towards the mountains. It's going to take me a while to get to Shay on my bike but right now I don't care. Something is going on with my family and Shay seems to be the only one willing to give me any information about it. Albeit bit by bit, but at least she's given me something.

I'm halfway there when a car pulls up beside me. I don't look at it, instead I move over closer to the sidewalk to let it pass. When it doesn't go past, I grunt and skid to a stop to look at the jackass that's hovering.

Of fucking course.

"Get in the car, Colby." Drake commands.

I roll my eyes and mount my bike again, peddling off. "Go home, Drake."

"Get in the car, I'll take you to go see her, just get in the car." He says again, but his voice is softer this time.

I stop my bike and stare at him. "Why would you do that?"

"Because you're going to go see her whether I go with you or not, at least if I go with you I know you'll be safe so please, stop being so damn stubborn and get in the car." He booms, leaning over and opening the passenger door for me.

"Fine," I mutter and open the back door, tossing my bike inside. "But I'm only getting in this car because I'm tired." I say folding my arms over my chest as I climb into the passenger seat.

"I'm sure. It's a five hour bike ride to the mountains, Colby. Did you seriously plan on going all the way there?"

"Yeah," I nod seriously. Shay is the only someone in my life right now that doesn't make me feel completely crazy all the time. Well, that's not entirely true but you know what I mean.

"You've got it bad huh little sis." Drake smiles and slaps my arm as pull off. Normally I'd play along with him, but right now I have no interest.

"What the hell is going on, Drake? I know that mom lied to me back at the house. I know you saw it too. Why did she lie to me if she has nothing to hide or didn't know what I was talking about?" I ask, turning slightly to face him.

He sighs. "Straight to business huh?" He forces a smile and glances at me briefly before returning his gaze to the road.

"I don't know why mom lied to you Colby. Maybe they think you're not ready to know the ins and outs of our family."

"What does that mean?" I question.

"I..." He pauses and shakes his head. No! He is not doing this to me again.

"Drake, please!" I practically shout. "I need answers." I add.

"Colby it's complicated."

"Uncomplicate it then!" I snap.

He sighs again and turns the wheel to pull over to the side of the road. He puts the car in park and turns completely in his seat to look at me.

"You may not like the answers you're looking for." He says softly.

"Shouldn't it be my choice though? Shouldn't I get to decide what to do with all this information? They told you, why can't they tell me too?"

"Actually they didn't tell me." He shakes his head and looks as though he's remembering something. "I kind of stumbled upon the information and they had to tell me."

"What information?"

He takes a deep breath like he's about to tell me the biggest secret in the world.

"Shay's family isn't the first family of shape shifters we've come in contact with." I stare at him and wait for him to continue. "Back in 1746 we met a family of shape shifters in Paris. Do you remember Natalia?" He asks. 

I nod. Vaguely, but I do remember her. My brother was madly in love with her. Drake was acting so weird that year now that I think about it. 

"She was a shifter." I gasp as he pauses. "And I fell in love with her." He adds as my eyes widen.

"Is that why we moved? Mom and dad wanted to keep the two of you apart?"

"Yes." He nods. "But for good reason." He adds after a moment.

I stare at him. Should I let him know that I know about the Lycanthropes? That Shay explained all that to me. That she could hurt me or kill me even if she ever shifted into one?

No, I'll play stupid. Maybe I'll get the full story this way.

"Why?"

"The same reason you shouldn't be hanging out with Shay."

"What is it Drake?!"

"Colby, shape shifters are the only creatures on this earth that can kill a Vampire."

I already know that. Tell me something I don't know.

"Why though?" I question.

"I'm not sure. All I know is that they slowly drain our powers until we're weak enough and then they shift into their true form; the Lycanthrope."

"The creatures we saw in the woods?"

"Yes." He nods. "A bite or a scratch from a Lycanthrope is deadly to us."

"How do you know that for sure?" I ask curiously. It's not like any of us have ever been bitten or scratched by one.

"Because they were put here to keep us in check."

"Put here by whom?" I ask.

"The people that made us into vampires."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.9K 829 33
First Neal must find his mate whom he's dreamt about several times now, then he must help her learn about her family and then fight to keep her safe...
567 111 58
Caleb, a 17-year-old boy, discovers that he is descended from shape-shifting dragons and wolves but is unaware of this fact. He leads a difficult hig...
1.1M 16.3K 16
Colby Blanchard had it all… Head cheerleader. Popular friends. Hottest date and a no-brainer for Homecoming Court. Colby’s got a nearly-perfect li...
2.8K 73 15
Nesryn Michlen was a normal little girl, but her life was already fucked up. It just got worse as she got older, she somehow passed highschool. Now...