Tattoo of the Black Angel Vol...

By AE_KIrk

TATTOO OF THE BLACK ANGEL (Ebook and Print available on Amazon! Published by Three Acre Books) First in a gri... More

Tattoo of the Black Angel: Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5

Chapter 2

41.9K 1K 181
By AE_KIrk

Chapter 2

A sensation of nausea crept up towards my throat as I saw my freckled white skin tarnished in a hideous inky, permanent splodge. As there, in the dead centre of my back was a tattoo of black wings; etched delicately on my back and folded with some feathers crossing at the bottom. It served as a horrid reminder that I had been drugged and kidnapped. I couldn't understand it. Why would someone go to such lengths to give me a tattoo?

'You need to calm down, don't get all upset,' the nurse said soothingly as she came into the bathroom. I hurriedly covered myself up, but she scoffed. 'Who do you think undressed you? Don't worry I am a nurse or was a nurse,' she added as she walked back towards the bed and sat down on it.

'Who are you?' I demanded. 'Your name?'

She looked like she was going to shake her head.

'You can at least tell me that since you've seen my bare arse!'

Smiling, she replied, 'it's Lynn. Now, will you calm down, you're T.A.T can't take the stress of you yelling or shouting like that, hence why it's showing on your back.'

'Oh for crying out loud,' I snapped at her. 'Aren't you a little old to be calling it a tat?'

Looking affronted she dug into her uniform pocket and brought out a shiny card. 'T.A.T stands for Tattoo of Arcane Technology. And I am not old,' she glowered.

'What on earth does Tattoo of Arcane Technology mean?' I asked, but she quickly pocketed the card and turned away from me.

'If you stress out too much the tattoo will appear and if you get angry, which I suggest you don't...it...will happen.'

'It? What's it?' Frustrated and upset from the lack of information, it was beginning to make me angry and, strange as it was, my back began to hurt. 'Look, you drug me, kidnap me, give me a tattoo that hurts like hell and you're not filling in the blanks. Please tell me what is going on!'

'Please, don't get angry. You'll be in a lot of pain if you get too angry... They will come out and then it's back to the bunker for you.'

'Bunker? What bunker? For God's sake! Give me answers!' My back twanged painfully, and I recoiled. 'What have you done to me? Why can't I get angry, cos I'm telling ya now, I aint a happy bunny.' Unable to say anything else, I felt this cold yet white hot pain stab at my spine which made me involuntarily arch my back. It was as though something had dug into the skin trying to rip my shoulder blades out.

'Please, calm down.' Lynn begged. She looked scared as she approached me. 'Take deep breaths through your nose.'

I fell to the floor in agony, tears strolling down my face like a waterfall... 'What is happening to me?' I gasped through gritted teeth.

'I can't say anything here. The place isn't secure. Listen to me and take deep calming breaths,' she repeated. 'The pain will subside, just do as I ask.'

I began to breathe deeply and soon, like she said, the pain receded to a dull throbbing. I was still on all fours and unwilling to move. Coming to my side, Lynn lifted up my gown and examined my back. With cool hands, she placed them where the pain was; I felt instant relief.

'There, do you feel better?' she asked softly.

'Yes,' I mumbled and rolled over and sat on the floor still breathing.

'Good.' Lynn sat down on the floor next to me. 'You need to keep your temper and I can understand how difficult it is for you.' Her eyes were sad and sympathetic.

'Why have you done this to me... whatever it is you've done?' I asked, not stopping the tears of both pain and hurt.

'I can promise you that things will be explained soon. But here isn't a good place to tell you.' She glanced at the door next to me. 'Just promise me one thing... do not tell anyone about this, you will put everyone in danger, including yourself. You must keep quiet.'

'Yeah, sure okay,' I said nonchalantly trying to get up, but Lynn grabbed my hand to stop me.

'I mean it Tara.' She stared right at me with dead set eyes. 'Keep your head down and wait for instructions.'

Lynn helped me to bed, checked my back again then when she was satisfied went to the bathroom and checked her make-up and hair. 'I'm going to get your discharge papers. You will be able to return university, but as I said, do not breathe a word of this to anyone, do you understand me?' She went to the end of the bed and picked up my chart.

Studying at her hardened face, I knew she meant business and nodded. 'I promise I won't say anything.'

'Good,' she sighed, 'I'll keep in touch.'

With that, Lynn left the room, closing the door behind her with a dull click. Alone in the antiseptic smelling hospital room with nothing but confusing thoughts and feelings about what had happened... all I could think of: could this get any worse?

Feeling absolutely delighted that I was released from the hospital a day later, I joined the girls for a "Welcome Back from the Hospital" celebration in the Student Union. The girls also invited a few other people who I was briefly acquainted with. One of them was Henry Simmons, and the best thing about it was-

'Jennifer broke up with him!' Heather squealed in my ear when he turned up to the party in blue baggy jeans, a black Metallica t-shirt and a beanie cap. His black messy hair flicked out of his cap near his ears and all I thought was, damn he looks good.

'I heard they had a massive argument,' Beth told me, giggling in my ear, 'so she broke up with him. So watch out girls you are in the presence of the future Mrs Simmons.' The four of us began chatting about the break up when-

'Um excuse me,' said a sweet, sultry voice. Snapping our heads around Beth, Heather and I were face to face with Henry Simmons, our mouths instantly fell open as he towered over us. 'Who's the girl who came out of the hospital,' he said looking between the three of us.

'That would be Tara,' Beth said, shutting her slacked mouth, pointing to me.

'Er hi, I'm me, um Tara.' Way to go at being articulate, I thought mentally hitting myself.

'Well, it's nice to see that you're all better.' He smiled; my knees went weak. God, he was gorgeous. I felt like a fan-girl with a crush on one of those famous boy bands or something. My insides squirmed whenever I saw him and I became quite hot under the collar when I was close to him. It was ridiculous. 'I don't think we've met before. I'm Henry.'

'Yeah, I know,' I said in a goofy manner. I made a quick mental note to slap myself again at sounding like an idiot in front of such a cute guy. 'So, did you come for the party to welcome me back from a trip to the hospital?' I asked confidently, hoping that he would say yes and that he was going to get me a drink which would end up the two of us talking and getting to know each other... But that's not what I got.

Henry's face fell a little, 'er no, I didn't know there was a party. I came to see some friends and saw the banner outside in the window.'

'Oh,' I said crestfallen.

'But, anyway I'm glad to see that you're better, excuse me.' He gave me a brief smile and walked on through the crowd.

I turned to the girls and each of us was confused at what had just happened. It felt as though I got slapped in the face. 'Damn it I'm such an idiot for asking that. I thought he would at least have offered to get me a drink,' I said to Beth and Heather a little loudly than intentioned.

'Sorry again,' Henry said as he came back. 'Um, would you like me to get you a drink for getting out of the hospital?'

Crap did he just hear me. I felt my face blush in embarrassment and tried to pass it off as the room being too warm.

'Er,' I looked down at my half-empty glass, 'please.' I passed it onto Beth and headed off with Henry to the bar.

'So what are you studying?' he asked me as we squeezed our way to the front of the bar.

'Sports Technology,' I told him. I could feel myself grinning from ear to ear at how lucky I was that Henry was talking to me. I needed some normality in my life. Something to ground me, to keep me from screaming out at how insane my life had suddenly become. I wanted to forget Lynn and that horrid tattoo on my back. Wanted to forget about the hospital, the bunker, the acrid taste of that drugged water. It was a god awful experience and one I didn't want to remember. 'What about you?' I asked, finally taking the leap to force all those memories out of my mind.

'English Literature, but I specialise in poetry.' He smiled at me and I swore my heart stopped. How romantic.

'I bet you're a great romantic then,' I laughed but Henry seemed confused. 'You know being a poet and all that, it comes with the romance or something...' I said stupidly, but Henry still seemed confused.

Laughing like an arse, I shrugged my shoulders. But there was nothing I could do to hide my blushing face.

'I understand,' he said to me, briefly touching my arm to get my attention, 'but my poetry is more to do with nature, not love.'

'Oh,' I said turning back to look at him, but he appeared to be searching for someone.

'Are you waiting for your friends still?' I asked him, feeling annoyed that he was ignoring me.

'Um, sort of,' he said and then I realised why his attention wasn't fully on me. Just at that moment Jennifer had walked into the bar, along with three of her friends, all dressed up to the nines, commanding attention from the entire union.

Jennifer's eyes quickly searched the room and saw instantly that Henry was watching her. Scowling she linked arms with her friends and went in a different direction.

Henry turned away from her and called attention to one of the bartenders, a girl with blonde hair and big boobs. He ordered our drinks and we became silent until they arrived.

'Do you want to grab a table?' I asked him, glancing around the room.

'Um... ' he began, unsure of what to say.

'Sorry, yeah you'd better go and find your friends, thanks for the drink,' I said sadly and walked off back to the girls who had been watching me from the very start.

'No, um we can get a table.' I inwardly screamed as Henry picked the "Lovers Booth." It was a small little alcove in the bar that had minimal light and was completely secluded from the rest of the room; perfect for having an uninterrupted snog.

'So Tara, tell me about what happened to you?' He leant back against the 1970's brown leather seats, appearing calm and relaxed.

'About what happened to me?' I asked him, a sense of fear rising in my cheeks making me flush hot.

'You ending up in the hospital,' he said looking curious.

'Oh... I had a major allergic reaction to something in the tattoo parlour.' I stopped and realised that he frowned as I explained and remembered he saw me go in there. 'You saw me go inside; you peered in through the window.'

He took a sip of his drink and shook his head. 'No, I didn't,' he said awkwardly. 'But it's really lucky that you are all right now.'

'What are you dressing up as for Halloween?' I quickly changed the subject as it was becoming apparent that he wanted to wrap our conversation up.

'Ah, I'm not going this year,' he replied. 'Got something to take care of.'

'Were you going to go with Jennifer?' I asked him without thinking, instantly horrified at what I said and shook my head. 'I'm sorry, I shouldn't have pried like that.'

'No, it's okay, and yes I was but now...' He looked forlorn, 'I've got something to do so...'

'I'm going,' I piped up, trying to make him smile. 'I've never really been good at costumes but my friends have decided to dress me up as an Egyptian Goddess,' I laughed.

'Oh, which one?' he asked me enthusiastically.

I didn't have an answer. I wasn't particularly good with pre-history. My face felt hot again as I was put under pressure. 'I'm not sure.'

'Well, you have Hathor, Bastet, Nephthys or Isis.' He counted them on his fingers. 'I think you should go as Nephthys. She was a very responsible Goddess, kind of like a leader. You could be a leader,' he said with a twinkle in his eye.

'Oh yeah...? Wow, you know your mythology.'

He shrugged. 'I have to, part of my training...' He gave me an awkward smile. 'You know for English literature, the old um... classical works.'

I laughed at him and he smiled back. It was nice getting to know Henry. He seemed very mysterious to me, but kind and caring. There was a lot I wanted to find out about him, but I got the feeling that he didn't like opening up. However, before I even managed to utter another word, Amanda came strutting up towards us and sat down opposite Henry.

'Hi, I'm Amanda.' She offered her hand.

'Hi.' Henry frowned slightly, then suddenly got up out of his seat. 'I've just seen a friend of mine. I'll talk to you later Tara,' and with that, he walked off, leaving me staring after him feeling as giddy as a schoolgirl and with Amanda, seething in a silent jealous rage.

The following day was Halloween, well the afternoon of it anyway. I had a nice lazy lie-in until well past noon, made myself a late breakfast of egg and toast and sat down in my bedroom and watched DVDs.

I glanced over at my Egyptian Goddess costume that was unceremoniously thrown over an old rocking chair in the corner. It was so stupidly flimsy I swear I would catch my death come this evening.

As I got halfway through my all time favourite comedy, there was a knock on my door.

'Hey Tara, can I come in?' asked my landlord slash housemate Kevin.

'Sure,' I said, pausing just as one of the actresses was about to climb into a rocket car.

Kevin came in with a strange expression on his face, 'There's a man at the door who's delivered a parcel. He won't let me sign for it; he said it's got to be you.'

'Oh okay.' I glanced down at my attire, a scruffy white-ish robe. Not really caring to get dressed, I went to the front door to see the... delivery man? Not your normal delivery man. Usually they wore a uniform, but this guy was wearing a black suit.

'Going to a funeral or wedding?' I asked him as I opened the door wider.

'Tara Young?' he asked me, raising a suspicious eyebrow.

'Yes...?'

'Could you sign here please.' He handed me a small digital terminal with a pen. Scrawling my signature at the bottom, he snatched it back and gave me a black box. 'Read the letter carefully and follow the instructions,' he said frowning at me.

'Okay...' I said confused. 'Are you from the-.'

'Post Office, yes,' he said. 'Read the instructions carefully.' He muttered under his breath. I heard movement from behind me. 'I'm on my way to a wedding,' the "post-man" laughed, giving himself a cover, 'just like you said.'

'Oh, that's great.' Kevin's voice came from behind me. 'Who's the lucky couple?'

The man raised his eyebrow again and smiled robotically, 'Have a good day Miss Young,' and with that walked off.

I closed the door and looked at the plain black box.

'He was unfriendly.' Kevin peered over my shoulder. 'Maybe it's from your parents as a Halloween present.'

'Yes, it is,' I said turning to face him and smiling politely. 'I asked them to send me some things, just to brighten up my costume.'

'Excellent, it's going to be a fun night.' He slapped his hands together. 'Got loads of chocolaty goodness for the children and their parents,' he laughed. 'What are you dressing up as?'

'Egyptian Goddess,' I told him as I shook the box lightly but felt nothing move.

'Oh, wow. I'm going as Merlin, or maybe Gandalf, I haven't decided yet, but both are equally as cool as the other. Well, I'd best be off to the library, got some books to get out for an essay.'

I headed back to my room and closed the door firmly behind me. After prising the box lid open, I saw a white envelope on top of some black cloth and next to that was a smaller black box.

Tearing at the envelope, I unfurled the letter which read:

Dear Informant,

Included in this parcel is your uniform which must be on your person at all times as it will be needed once we call for you.

The T.A.T. is based in London. It is part of an operation which specialises in the recruitment of individuals such as yourself as well as helping with investigations.

Be warned that you must keep this information to yourself otherwise you will endanger all of those who are in this organisation.

Put in your earpiece and destroy this letter.

Re-reading the letter a good few times, I was satisfied that I had indeed gone mad. I had forced myself to believe that everything I had experienced in the tattoo parlour and the windowless hospital and Lynn was just one freaky stupid dream. Also, I had refused to look into a mirror since I was released from the hospital and I didn't even want to go into town and pass by the alley which led to the parlour itself. Staring at the letter I sighed and ripped it up a few times and putting it in the bin, I pulled out the smaller box and opened it.

'Wow, cool,' I exclaimed as I saw a natural colour earpiece. Fitting it into my right ear I instantly got Lynn shouting at me.

'Bloody took you long enough, what the hell were you doing? The parcel was delivered to you exactly fifteen minutes and thirty-seven seconds ago.'

'I'm sorry?' I said loudly to the room.

'Ah, you don't have to shout, just talk normally. I can even hear you whisper you know. So, before I give you the details, as I am on a safe line, have you destroyed the letter?'

'Safe line?' I repeated, but I heard her sigh in annoyance. 'Yeah, I ripped it up and threw it in the bin.'

'Stupid cow!' Lynn shouted at me. 'Burn it, do not leave any scrap of evidence of that letter, do you understand?'

'God, yes stop yelling at me,' I shouted back, getting a slight twinge in my spine. Taking a deep breath, I said, 'So, now what?'

I heard some tapping on a keyboard then she said, 'There's a few things to tell you. Firstly, Maynard is our boss. You met him the day you got the tattoo.'

Thinking of the parlour, I remembered two men. I doubted that the man with the tattoos was Maynard so I asked, 'Maynard? Is that the Texan bloke?'

'Yes, that's him. Now, secondly, you will be picked up and taken to London in the near future. Don't ask, we'll tell you when. Thirdly, when you arrive in London you will undergo training; you will also be given all the details about missions, what to do, where to go. Understand?'

Sitting on my bed, I stared at the paused screen of my film. I found it surreal. I was talking to a lady through an earpiece, being told I am now part of this weird T.A.T. team in London where I get to go on missions. Nothing computed, it sounded like a big joke. 'Yes,' I said eventually, understanding what she said but not fully comprehending. 'Um, can I ask any questions?'

'No. Your house isn't secure. I can give you as much information as possible, but the rest you'll have to wait until you get here. Now, the T.A.T or Tattoo of Arcane Technology, is a secret group based in London. It recruits special people from around Britain who have unique talents and abilities. You have been given a special tattoo that reacts to your anger, to your emotions. If you get upset and angry, your tattoo will become real.'

'The wings, they'll become real?' I whispered, hearing Kevin walking outside of my door.

'Yes. You can keep them under control if you don't get angry or agitated.'

'I have been trying but it's difficult. I have you in my head as well as the twenty million questions all swimming around in there,' I snapped and my back itched uncomfortably, coupled with a wave of uneasy adrenalin.

'That then brings me to something which is the most important for you.' She spoke in such a way that it scared me. It was as though I was waiting for the worst news I could possibly hear that would probably ruin an entire life. 'Tara, if you get too angry, real black wings will burst out of your back.' She took a deep breath. 'It's not a joke, it's not something that you should take lightly. It's an enormous responsibility. And when they do, when you lose control of your emotions, they'll cause you excruciating pain.'

For ten minutes, I lay on my bed, closing my eyes and trying not to be sick. My body had been violated without my consent. I could never be angry again without feeling that horrible pain that made every single nerve ending in my back scream out in protest. Why had I been chosen? Were my parents involved? After all Maynard said that he knew them, or was he just lying?

'Lynn,' I said quietly as I glanced over at the paused television screen, turned it off. I wasn't in the mood for a comedy. 'You can't undo this can you?'

Lynn was silent for a while before she softly said, 'No... we can't. If it helps, you are meant to have the tattoo. You were picked because of who you are.'

I scoffed. 'And who is that?'

'An intelligent and thoughtful girl. We know you'llbe able to tackle this. Your life won't be normal again but you're not aloneTara,' she said gently. 'We are here to help you. All you have to do islisten to us. We know what we're doing.'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3M 122K 68
🥇 Highest Rankings: #1 Action #1 Chicklit #1 Mystery #1 Teen Fiction #1 Thriller 2018 Watty's Long List 🥀 Trigger Warning/Sexual Assault ⚠️Mature...
525 153 69
Owls are restless creatures, the same could be said with Twyla Chantelle. She hated being in her normal, stuck in a boring small town where...
119K 5.5K 27
[WARNING: Howling For Love contains sexual content and swear words] Sinna is an feisty stubborn artist with a rocky relationship with her family. Sh...
1.5K 86 24
DISCLAIMER - I DO NOT OWN THIS STORY, IM SIMPLY MOVING THIS STORY FROM AO3 TO WATTPAD BECAUSE ITS AN AMAZING STORY THIS FIC IS BY "Lecrit" ON AO3 AL...