Eidos

By MichaelJKrym

Harmonia is looking for a place to call home. Raised in a world run by the children left behind, with only he... More

Chapter 1: Such A Silly Place
Chapter 2: An Ordinary Day
Chapter 3: An Extraordinary Day
Chapter 4: A Town Called Mine
Chapter 5: The Story of Ro
Chapter 6: Finding Friends in High Places
Chapter 7: Quite the Kafuffle
Chapter 8: Escape From Sky
The Journey Continues

Prologue: Bedtime Stories

3K 25 9
By MichaelJKrym

Prologue: Bedtime Stories

" 'Tell me, what do you hear when you close your eyes?'

The question echoed across the surrounding mountains, shaking the trees, and rushing through the grass. The words were more powerful than anything the petrified young boy had ever heard. Jacob had only wanted to cut through the woods on his way home from the market, the same road he took each and every day. But on that particular day, for the first time in all of his trips along the forested trail, there had appeared another traveller. Only this was no mere mortal, this was one of the gods, a being that should never have existed beyond that world of legend and dreams.

Jacob was almost too petrified to reply, 'I hear only your voice. Please...please don't hurt me.'

It was then that the descended messenger from the heavens looked into the boy's eyes and lowered his voice to but a whisper, 'Do not fear me Jacob, I am Athos, the protector of all mortals. I have come here in search of you. For you above all other mortals possess the capacity to understand the sacred gift which I have brought.'

Jacob could not believe it. He did not feel worthy of such a gift. He was nothing more than the son of a trader, a simple boy whose sole purpose was to sell his father's wares in the marketplace. There was nothing he could offer a god.

With his eyes still closed, he answered the heavenly Athos, 'I am sorry, oh wise god. I am not worthy to do as you ask...I am just a boy....'

Before Jacob could finish, the god answered, 'But you are Jacob, son of Sarah and Joseph, are you not? If so, then there could be no other. It is not through your position that you hold the merit to bear such a burden, or such a blessing. It is by virtue of this very trail to which you owe your ability to undertake this task.'

'By the road? I don't understand. This is just a trail through the woods that is seldom travelled. Surely it has done its part in my passing, but nothing so grand.'

'Yet you are seldom simply passing when you walk along this path. There is a connection with the road that none other has ever possessed. You feel the way the trees sway along the mountainous ridge sway, moved by the gusting currents that burst through the cracks between the towering stones. It is in the feeling of the rocks and dirt beneath your feet when you take off your shoes, but only when you think no one is around to see. It is even through the rustling movement of the tall grass at the edges of the trail that you often brush along the tips of your fingers. You hold a deep connection with this place.'

Any doubt that this was truly Athos, a god from on high, was dispelled with his powerful words. Jacob was stunned that he had known the way he had felt about the woods. Rubbing his hands through the grass until they turned green, climbing trees only to cling to a hidden warmth resonating from inside, and the splendorous feeling of crunching dirt beneath his toes. These had been Jacob's most cherished secrets.

Athos spoke only in whispers, 'We have little time, so you must listen closely to these words. I am here to teach you how to reach out into the stars. To view distant worlds and different people upon those worlds. The universe is large and it is your time to learn how to connect with all that is to be discovered.'

Jacob could not imagine possessing such an ability, the thought alone had even scared him at first. No one could soar through the air, let alone out into the stars. 'How can this be? Only birds and creatures with wings can fly. I am only a boy, and I do not have wings.'

Athos placed his hand on the boy's shoulders, 'Yes you can. You must look past the limit of your senses to experience worlds that you could have never imagined. All you must do is keep your eyes closed, sit down on the green grass you know so well, and let your mind focus on nothing save your breath.'

And so, Jacob removed his shoes as he always did when he was alone, and sat down atop the grass in the most comfortable position he could manage. With little effort he kept his eyes tightly closed, a part of him still scared to even glance upon the divine. It took a few minutes, but soon all he could focus on was his breath. In it there sounded a rhythm that relaxed his every muscle.

Athos spoke with a heavenly softness, 'Now what do you hear Jacob?'

'Words,' admitted Jacob, 'I hear nothing but words and wind.'

'It is the curse and blessing of intelligence that ails you. You want to understand the tingle in your fingers and the spinning lights that move through the darkness when you shut your eyes. You refuse to let go.'

'How does one...let go?' asked Jacob.

'You must focus on the silence that rests behind all of your thoughts, beyond the part of your mind that wants to put everything into words and concepts. You must look into the stillness that lays behind every moment. Listen to the wind and lose yourself. Step through whatever door you find within the depths of that silence, this will help you finally let go of your body....'

Jacob did not argue with the god, for if he failed, there would no doubt be consequences for both of them. With the guidance of divine wisdom, Jacob tried once more, struggling to fight back his fear. And then he tried again, and again, until finally he managed to silence his inner voice. Then, as he lost the boundaries of where his body ended and the world around him began, Jacob felt full. Only the wind remained, and it was the wind which finally lifted the boy out from his small body. He could hardly believe what was happening. The boy took a journey through the unseen stars, experiencing them as if they were as close as Athos. Other planets appeared, filled with creatures of all different sorts, even worlds filled with people much closer to his own.

Out of the darkness came the voice of Athos, 'It is your Spirit that guides you out into the universe. It alone can gaze beyond the reach of your senses. Now open your eyes.'

Jacob did as he was told without question. From out of the recesses of space he was shot back into his body as his eyes crept open. Crouching beside him stood a radiating figure that somewhat resembled a grown man, although he knew this was only a trick of the eyes. What stood out amongst all of his divine features was the god's smile, and without noticing, Jacob began smiling too.

'I must go now Jacob. I am afraid that the other gods do not know I am here. Heed these words, the other gods cannot know about what you have been shown. They alone wish to possess the heavens.'

Athos could see the fear that came with his words, still he continued, 'I did not wish to frighten you before you had received your task. You must practice what I have taught you, and you must be discrete. The other gods must not know what we have done here today. We shall see each other again Jacob.'

With his parting message, the heavenly god Athos disappeared and Jacob was alone with only his gift. The boy was terrified by the weight of his task, but he had to find a way to fight back the fear. If Athos had found the strength to defy the other gods, Jacob would not turn away with so much at stake. Jacob would have to find the strength to carry out his task.

And so Jacob returned home and told his father the story of the stranger in the woods. At first he only laughed, complimenting Jacob on the size of his imagination. It was not until his mother heard his story that his father found the heart to genuinely listen. They were the first to learn, and from there Jacob journeyed out in hopes of teaching the mortal world about their Spirits; that the unbounded was within their grasp and closer than anyone could imagine.

The world was quick to ridicule the notion. At first only a few came to join Jacob and his followers. As time went on, more and more joined in their teachings until finally a day came when talking about the Spirit was no longer something that evoked laughter. As they deepened their inner-connection with the forests, the lakes, the mountains and planet, even the stars beyond, an inevitable force awaited.

The gods soon caught word of what was happening upon the world below. If the mortal realm could one day attain the ability to reach out into the heavens, the gods themselves would no longer be heavenly or divine. Gaia, the self-proclaimed Queen of the gods, knew who was responsible for this atrocity.

'Athos!' sounded the voice of the mighty Queen Gaia."

"Stop!" screamed Harmonia, this had not been the sort of story she had expected from her favourite storyteller.

Grandpa George was glad to take a break from reciting the words from the book. There was a part of him that could not help laugh at the young girl's fear of the fable. It was not a children's book, but the stories were the same ones Grandpa George had read to her mother, Amelia, when she had still been a little girl like Harmonia.

The nearly forgotten fatherly figure behind the old wrinkled eyes poked out from behind hazy memories. That part of him knew all too well that a four year old girl was not ready for parables on life. So with a smile, he closed the book and gave his granddaughter a loving kiss on the forehead.

"Very well young one, what would you like to hear as a bedtime story? Hmm?"

Harmonia had always enjoyed the stories about ships that could fly through the clouds and out into space. The way Grandpa George told those stories had always filled her imagination with endless horizons scattered with nothing save adventures and mystery. And of course, there was always a hero, a virtuous captain who led their crew through all kinds of danger. Those were her favourites, but lately even her favourite stories could not cheer her up.

"When are mom and dad coming home?" Harmonia asked almost in tears.

Even the smile that peaked out from beneath Grandpa George's thick white moustache turned upside down, "Ah my little Harmonia...if only I could answer that with honesty. I don't know when your parents are coming home."

"Where did they go?" asked his granddaughter. "Where did those people take them?"

Grandpa George could remember the moment as if it had happened yesterday, despite six months having passed. Their planet of Sky had lost half of its army in the war with the distant world of Oceanas. The military, who served only the Corporations which ruled the planet, had imposed a mandatory military conscription on anyone over the age of eighteen. Every person, whether man or woman, who was deemed a grown-up would serve in the defence of Sky.

Harmonia's parents were but two of the many unlucky enough to have been ripped away from their children. With a single decision, thousands had been left orphans so the army could continue its march towards victory.

"They were....they were taken somewhere far away my darling. Somewhere the eye could not hope to see even with the aid of a telescope," Grandpa George's smile had returned. "The people who took your parents needed their help so that they could get something they wanted very badly."

"But why?" innocently asked the young girl.

"If only I could explain that in a few words Harmonia. It is not so easy to explain why grown-ups do the things they do." There was too much to consider and there was little his granddaughter would understand, "Sometimes, people need help when they think they are more important than everyone else. They see people only as tools to help build something they want to play with all by themselves."

"Well that's not fair!" yelled Harmonia, grudgingly crossing her arms and putting on her famous pouty face.

"It isn't fair at all. You're only four years old and you know that's not right," laughed Grandpa George. "Still, that is how grown-ups are sometimes. They can be more stubborn and selfish than any child I have ever met. Some just think they are owed more than others. When in fact, you know as well as I do young lady, that everyone was created equal. Isn't that right?"

No comfort could be found in Grandpa George's attempts at easing his granddaughter's worries. Harmonia had always been a strong girl, quiet and refusing to let things get her down, but she could not hold back her feelings for much longer. The tears for her lost parents were already welling in the corners of her eyes. Soon they would stream down her cheeks and then she would not be able to stop crying with all of her might. Grandpa George knew as little as the young girl in regards to where they had taken her mother and father. All the old man could hope to do was raise the child as best he could with what little energy he had left in his old age.

So with that in mind, Grandpa George would not let his smile fade again, "Well Harmonia, I may not know where your parents are right now, but I certainly know where they are going."

Harmonia's curiosity peeked its head, "Really? They're still okay?" Then at once she exploded from beneath the sheets, "Where are they going grandpa? Will I get to go there too?"

"Hmm. Now that's a question, isn't it?" Grandpa George's fingers tapped against his lips as he thought aloud, "With the right ship...the right crew....and the courage to do it...well, you just might be able to pull it off."

The little girl was bouncing on her knees in anticipation, "Tell me grandpa! Please grandpa! Please tell me where to go!"

"Whoa now, slow down, little lady," Grandpa George already had the girl in his arms and back beneath the covers. "This is no adventure for little kids. In fact, that is why your parents had to wait until they were all grown-up before they went themselves."

"A place that's only for grown-ups? Is that where all the parents went?" she asked innocently letting her hopes run free.

"Some I imagine. Others had to stay to help those left behind before they could go there as well." The old man's teeth were missing in spots, but it did little to deter each smile that followed the Harmonia's inquisitive questions, "Tell me this young lady, did you know that there is a fourth planet in our solar system?"

Harmonia shook her head to show she did not know, although her imagination was already swarming with ideas about all sorts of secret possibilities.

"No?" exclaimed Grandpa George. "Well now, it seems we had better let you in on our secret. As you know there are three planets that all circle our sun, Helia. First, there is our planet, known simply as Sky. With its vast rocky mountains covering the surface, we have little water or greenery for us to share. Second, there is Gaia, the planet ruled by the animals. Named after the Queen of the gods, it is a perfect balance between water and earth, a place ruled only by nature. Finally, on the far side of our planetary belt spins Oceanas. Its surface is covered by water with little land to share amongst the people who live there."

"Grandpa!' exclaimed his only audience member. "I know about the planets. I'm not two you know!"

"Of course, of course. Everyone knows about the three planets that dance together around Helia. But what few know is that there is a fourth planet always spinning on the opposite side of our sun. It is a very secret place that knows only peace and harmony."

Harmonia's eyes went wide as she clung to her grandfather's every word, "Far away, beyond what even our grown-up toys can find, there is a hidden world called Eidos. It sits on the far side of our solar system holding the other planets in place with its energy. With no one there to try and take it for themselves, Eidos has only grown more rich and beautiful with each passing year. Lush forests as far as the eye can see, creatures you could not make up with your imagination, and plenty of food growing right from the ground. The natural cycle is allowed to run free in its serenity."

"Are there mountains?" asked Harmonia. "Because I could use a break from mountains."

"Oh my dear, no planet has as many mountains as Sky. But the fourth world does have some, only not as many as we do. You must go far out of your way to reach them. There are far too many rushing rivers, rolling green hills, and fields of wheat to cross before you ever reach their stony feet."

"Do people take children's parents away?" frowned the little girl.

"No, of course not. Silly grown-ups who only think about themselves are not allowed on Eidos, or else they get sent right back where they came from. The few people that have made it there are all the best sorts, all those who got tired of others treating one another unfairly. Everyone there is happy for all they have ever known is peace. It is paradise young Harmonia. It is indeed paradise."

"Is that where mother and father have gone?" her eyes were begging for honesty.

Grandpa George sighed before carrying on, "Perhaps Harmonia. When she was young, I used to tell your mother about all the wondrous things waiting on Eidos. If she can remember how to get there, then I have no your mom and dad will find their way."

Harmonia jumped up in excitement, "Can you tell me how to get there? Please, please, please, grandpa!?"

Grandpa George only smiled before giving his beautiful granddaughter another kiss on the forehead, "One day little lady. For now, you must go to bed. Do you promise you will have sweet dreams for me tonight?"

"Yes grandpa," Harmonia pulled up her blankets, rolling onto her side as she shut her eyes. "I am going to dream about Eidos. Maybe I will see mom and dad in my dreams."

"We will discover all in the morning's light. Sweet dreams my darling," smiled her grandfather. "I hope you get everything you wish for in life."

Grandpa George pulled the door shut, but keeping it open just enough for a little light to shine through from the hallway. But as she tried to doze off, to slip into a pleasant dream about reuniting with her parents, a final question which could not leave her head. There was more she needed to ask her storyteller. Her vigilant grandfather had made it a habit to linger until he finally heard his granddaughter fast asleep. This was her silent guardian, the one who would always be watching over her.

"Grandpa George," pleaded Harmonia calling him back into the room. "What happened to Athos after he reached the heavens? Was he in trouble? Did Queen Gaia punish him and Jacob?"

"Why now little lady, isn't it a bit late to be talking about fables again?" Grandpa George did not turn the lights back on, making due with what little spilled in from the hallway.

"Please? I have to know. How does the story end?" begged Harmonia, letting her endless curiosity get the best of her.

"Very well then," Grandpa George sat at the edge of her bed. He did not need to open the book to finish the tale.

"Gaia was angry with Athos for teaching the mortals about their eternal spirits. It had infuriated the goddess who believed herself to be Queen. A few of the others gods tried to help Athos but there was no stopping his punishment." Grandpa George stopped before he continued. "Are you sure you want to hear the rest? It might scare you."

Harmonia promised she would do her best not to be afraid, but that did not stop her from gripping onto her grandpa's sleeve as he continued.

"....The mortals could not be allowed access to the heavens so freely. Gaia's solution was to divide the physical world from the spiritual one. This way, only gods could travel between the two realms.

Mortals would only be allowed to travel within one side or the other. While they took bodily form, they would believe they were nothing more than a body with all of its senses. In death, they would release their spirits back into the other realm and forget the wanting of the physical life they had left behind.

So, as punishment for teaching the mortals about their spirits, Gaia sentenced Athos to hold the two apart. Athos took his place between the physical and the spiritual worlds to ensure they would remain forever divided. And so Athos stands alone to this very day, holding his vigil between the crushing weight of the divide. He alone holds apart the harmony that once existed between the body and the soul, each still longing to join its other half once more. So our world waits to see if by chance Queen Gaia may one day look away so that Athos may escape. Or perhaps that maybe Athos' grip may one day slip. For this is the only way for two to be joined as one forever more."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.2K 1.5K 50
**Updated every Saturday** He'll have to break all the rules to keep her, but first she has to break just one and let him in... It's taken four years...
481 49 35
The opposing forces of the universe, creation and destruction, have always lived in harmony with each other, keeping the cosmic balance stable in the...
1K 175 46
A story following a spaceship pilot and explorer when she's returning from a ten-year expedition from the outer reaches of the galaxy and finds all k...
1.7K 1 28
It's a truth or dare with the main characters from all 3 arks plus any OCs (including one of my own) or other characters. We've got ships, fluff, cos...