Worlds Colliding (Supernatura...

By heartofice97

The revelation of Castiel being controlled and manipulated into such things has shattered everyone involved. ... More

characters
character theme songs (main) & outfit links
chapter 1 - Meet the New Boss
chapter 3 - The Girl Next Door
chapter 4 - Defending Your Life
chapter 5 - Shut Up, Dr. Phil
chapter 6 - Slash Fiction
chapter 7 - The Mentalists
chapter 8 - Season 7, It's Time for a Wedding!
chapter 9 - How to Win Friends and Influence Monsters
chapter 10 - Death's Door
chapter 11 - Adventures in Babysitting
chapter 12 - Time After Time
chapter 13 - The Slice Girls
chapter 14 - Plucky Pennywhistle's Magical Menagerie
chapter 15 - Repo Man
chapter 16 - Out With the Old
chapter 17 - Born-Again Identity
chapter 18 - Party On, Garth
chapter 19 - Of Grave Importance
chapter 20 - The Girl With the Dungeon and Dragons Tattoo
chapter 21 - Reading Is Fundamental
chapter 22 - There Will Be Blood
chapter 23 - Survival of the Fittest
Bloopers

chapter 2 - Hello, Cruel World

828 20 13
By heartofice97

Outfits in the external link

THEN

From 6.04 "Singers' Weekend", at Bobby's House's front door, Bobby opened the door to find FBI Agent Adams and Sheriff Jody Mills.

Adams put away his badge, looking at Jody. "I believe you know Sheriff Mills."

From 5.15 "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid", in Bobby's House, Bobby, Ness and Dean were trapped in the closet. The nine remaining Zombies were pounding on the door, trying to break through. Sam, Catty and Jody were behind the nine Zombies, shooting three Zombies each in the head, killing them all. All of the Zombies fell to the floor, dead.

From 6.07 "Family Matters", in the motel room, Octavia looked at Dean and Catty. "It's his soul. It's gone." 

From 6.13 "Unforgiven", Sam had a fast flash of memories when he didn't have his soul.

From 6.11 "Appointment in Samarra", in Bobby's House's Panic Room, Death sat down on the bed with a briefcase, opening it to reveal a white glowing light.

Death: (voice over from 6.11 Appointment in Samarra) "Can't erase Sam's Hell, but I can put it behind a wall."

Death put Sam's soul into his chest, making him scream in agony.

From 6.13 "Unforgiven", in Sam's flashback of Hell, Sam was standing in the Cage, burning, screaming in agony.

From 6.22 "The Girl Who Knew Too Much", in the alley, Castiel looked at Dean, Bobby, Ness, Sam and Catty. "I will save Sam, but only if you stand down, and I will find it either way."

"Save Sam from what?" Catty asked. "Find what?"

Castiel disappeared. He reappeared behind them. Catty and Sam turned to face him in confusion. Castiel touched Sam's temple, placing a hand on Catty's stomach. A flash of bright white light surrounded them.

From 6.22 "The Girl Who Knew Too Much", in Sam's Mind, Sam was driving the Impala.

Octavia was in the passenger seat. "Our friend Cas brought down the Hell-Wall in your head."

From 5.19 "Hammer of the Gods", in the hotel's grand ballroom, The flames disappeared, revealing no damage to Lucifer.

Lucifer: (voice over from 5.03 Free to Be You and Me) "You know who I am."

Sam: (voice over from 5.03 Free to Be You and Me) "Lucifer."

From 7.01 "Meet the New Boss", in the warehouse's hallway, Lucifer appeared in Sam's way. "Hi, Sam." Sam looked at him in shocked denial. "I think this is my best torture yet. You never left, Sam. You're still in the Cage... with me."

From 7.01 "Meet the New Boss", in Bobby's House's basement, Sam turned around. The basement was bathed in an eerie red light. Many chains hung from the ceiling, as well as meathooks with bits of flesh and hair still attached. There was ominous laughter.

He heard Octavia's voice trying to get through to him. "Sam!"

Sam was in shocked denial. "Ava!"

From 6.22 "The Girl Who Knew Too Much", in Sam's Mind, roadside, by the Impala, Sam looked at Octavia curiously. "You're not the real Ava."

Octavia shrugged slightly. "I'm only as real as you want me to be, Sam. But I'm here to help you." Sam barely nodded. "You will not like what is left to come if you do put yourself back together, Sam. I just want to be honest with you there. You will be in pain. You will see things. You will hear things. Memories and dreams of Hell will be just the beginning. It could very well kill you. I'm sorry about what's to come for you."

Sam took this in.

From 6.22 "The Girl Who Knew Too Much", in the warehouse, Octavia hesitated, sighing. "This isn't you, Cas." Castiel nodded to himself. "We're trying to help you." Balthazar walked closer from behind Octavia. "Balthazar, it's not a good time."

Balthazar stood behind Octavia's shoulder now. An Angel Blade pierced through Octavia's chest from behind, through her heart, making her gasp in pain.

Castiel looked on in shocked horror and denial, angry. "No!"

Octavia had blood trickling down her chin, gasping. "Why?"

"I'm really sorry, Octavia," Balthazar told her. "But you got too close to what not only what Castiel and Crowley were trying to achieve, but me. You're just a girl who knows too much. I'm sorry. The girl who knew too much."

Balthazar took the blade out of Octavia's back, letting her fall to the floor.

Castiel watched in horror, unable to do anything to save Octavia. "Ava..."

Octavia started to scream. Light exploded out of Octavia's body. Her wings seared onto the concrete on either side of her. Her arms aligned with the wings.

From 6.22 "The Girl Who Knew Too Much", in the warehouse, Sam stumbled his way inside, stopping cold on the stairs in shocked denial, not yet processing. "No." He walked closer to Octavia's body in the middle of her seared wings on the floor. "No. Ava!" He knelt next to Octavia's body, pulling her into his arms, tears in his eyes, despaired and in denial. "No. Ava... I remember."

From 6.22 "The Girl Who Knew Too Much", in Sam's flashback, Sam and Octavia looked at each other for a long moment, smirks playing against their lips. Sam finally kissed Octavia. Octavia responded slowly, building up passionately.

Sam: (voice over from 6.22 The Girl Who Knew Too Much) "I remember everything."

From 6.22 "The Girl Who Knew Too Much", in the warehouse, Sam was devastated, losing Octavia so soon after getting his memories back.

From 7.01 "Meet the New Boss", in the warehouse, Octavia's body was still lying on the floor in the middle of her scorched wings. Sam walked toward Octavia slowly, sadly, numbly. He still had her sword in his hand, slowly kneeling next to her body. Bobby, Ness, Dean and Catty followed, looking at Octavia's body in shock, still not willing to believe she was gone. Ness and Catty's reactions were more evident than Bobby and Dean's, who were trying not to show how effected they really were. Sam still held Octavia's Angel Sword in one hand, lifting Octavia from the floor. He stopped where he was, looking faint, a little sick, and very dizzy. His nose started to bleed.  He fell to the floor with her body, cutting his hand on her Angel Sword. He laid unconscious next to Octavia's dead body.

From 7.01 "Meet the New Boss", Dean, Catty, Sam, Ness and Bobby were watching the flames of Octavia's hunter's funeral.

"So, you remember everything from Hell and when you didn't have a soul, huh?" Ness asked. "Even with Ava?"

Sam had tears in his eyes. "Yeah. And I didn't get the chance to tell Ava."

Sam let a few tears fall.

From 7.01 "Meet the New Boss", in the Singer Salvage Yard's garage, Dean walked closer to Ness. "You know, you want something or someone to worry about, why don't you worry about yourself for a change?"

"Why?" Ness asked. "Dean, I'm fine."

From 6.21 "Let It Bleed", in TJz, The Demons were affected by Ness' exorcism over the speakers, trying to pull through. One knocked over a lit candle over onto spilled alcohol on the floor, making the floor catch fire immediately. The fire spread all over the bar as if alcohol or gasoline had been spread before Ness had gotten there. The front door was blocked off by fire. The Demons were pushing through the exorcism, on their way toward Ness. Ness shot them all, backing away toward the back room, away from the flames as quick as she could.  

Dean: (voice over from 7.01 Meet the New Boss) "TJz burned down around you. You almost got burned alive."

From 6.21 "Let It Bleed", on the dock outside of TJz, The fire was spreading outside of TJz, all over the dock, blocking the way to any of the stairs to the parking lot or way out, toward Ness, making her back away toward the lake. Ness knew there was no way she could get past the flames, the only exit being the lake behind her, turning around, hesitating, looking back over the flames, letting herself fall into the water below. She pushed her way to the surface, gasping for breath. She backed away through the waves, breathing heavily, coughing, trying to breathe, looking around, seeing the ramp toward the parking lot. Crowley used magic to levitate Ness out of the water.

Dean: (voice over from 7.01 Meet the New Boss) "Then you nearly drowned. Got kidnapped."

From 6.21 "Let It Bleed", in the warehouse, Ness/Demon restrained Bobby from behind, holding Catty's Knife to his throat, letting her eyes turn completely, Demon black. Later, she stabbed herself in the stomach.

Dean: (voice over from 7.01 Meet the New Boss) "Possessed by a Demon."

From 6.21 "Let It Bleed", in the car, Sam was driving. Bobby was in the passenger seat. Catty was behind Bobby. Dean was behind Sam, holding Ness' dead body in his arms.

Dean: (voice over from 7.01 Meet the New Boss) "You died."

From 6.21 "Let It Bleed", in Ness' hospital room, Octavia put two fingers to Ness' forehead, bringing her back. Ness gasped alive, looking around in confusion.

Dean: (voice over from 7.01 Meet the New Boss) "And brought back to life by Ava before she died."

From 7.01 "Meet the New Boss", in the Singer Salvage Yard's garage, Dean and Ness were leaning against the Impala.

"TJz was your job for over a decade, you lost 26 people, and Cas and Ava were your friends, too," Dean told her. "Yeah, but, no, I get it. You're completely fine."

Ness pretended not to notice the sarcasm. "Well, I'm glad you see it that way, too."

Dean nodded sarcastically. "Hmm."

Ness smirked. "Hmm." She sighed sadly, completely serious. "I just can't believe Ava's dead."

From 5.01 "Sympathy for the Devil", in St. Mary's Convent, Sam, Catty and Dean covered their ears from the violent high-pitched nose, falling to their knees in pain. The light reached the very edge of the Sigil, bursting all around them. Octavia appeared, raising her hands toward Dean, Catty and Sam to teleport them away. Dean, Catty and Sam disappeared. Octavia turned to watch the white light build and build, shielding her head, burning away with the light.

From 5.16 "Dark Side of the Moon", in Heaven's Winchester Old House, Octavia slammed her bleeding palm over a hidden Angel Banishing Sigil, making Zachariah the Angel and the three Angels restraining Sam, Dean and Catty disappear with the violent flash of bright white light.

From 5.18 "Point of No Return", in the warehouse, the Angels ran closer to Castiel and Octavia.

Instead of stabbing the blade into the sigil on Octavia's back, Castiel cut his hand, slamming the blood over the sigil. Light vibrated out of Octavia's body, making the rest of them disappear with a violent flash of bright white light from within her, all except Castiel.

From 5.18 "Point of No Return", there were flashes of Castiel and Octavia's fight with the two Angels that had attacked Octavia. 

From 6.03 "The Third One", in Balthazar's Mansion, there were flashes of Octavia fighting and killing the two Angels that had attacked her.

Ness: (voice over from 7.01 Meet the New Boss)  "After everything Ava did for us, and she got killed because she got closer to the truth, got closer to stopping them than we did."

From 7.01 "Meet the New Boss", in the Singer Salvage Yard's garage, Dean and Ness were leaning against the Impala.

"You're right," Ness told him. "Ava was my friend. And Cas was, too. This shouldn't have happened to either of them, but what are we gonna do about it now?" Dean shook his head, looking down. "But I'm the last person you should be worrying about right now, Dean."

From 7.01 "Meet the New Boss", in the bathroom, Castiel looked at his reflection in the mirror, unbuttoning his shirt. Two hands pushed against Castiel's stomach from the inside, trying to get out.

Death: (voice over from 7.01 Meet the New Boss) "Your vessel's melting. You're going to explode." 

From 7.01 "Meet the New Boss", in the Weiss House, Death looked at Castiel. "There are things much older than souls in Purgatory, and you gulped those in, too."

"What older things?" Ness asked.

"The Leviathans," Death answered.

From 7.01 "Meet the New Boss", in Crowley's Lab, Castiel pushed the others forward. "You need to run now! I--I can't hold them back!"

"Hold who back?" Ness asked.

"Leviathan!" Castiel answered. Bobby ran out of the room, leaving to go find Sam. Catty, Dean and Ness turned to Castiel. Castiel seemed like the manic person from the video footage again, smiling smugly. "Too late."

"Cas?" Catty asked.

Leviathan!Castiel grabbed Catty's shirt. "Cas is--" He shrugged, looking up at the ceiling, looking at Catty, tilting his head, smiling. "He's gone. He's dead. We run the show now." He threw Catty across the room, into the table, making her fall to the floor. "Ah!" He walked toward Dean, grabbing him, throwing him into the wall, making him fall to the floor. He took Ness, throwing her into the stairs, making her roll down the steps to the floor, landing badly. Catty looked toward Leviathan!Castiel to see black veins trailing up his neck to his face. "Oh, this is going to be so much fun."

Leviathan!Castiel laughed evilly.

NOW

§  

Same Day - Same Scene

Bootback, Kansas

Day One

Morning - Warehouse - Crowley's Lab

Leviathan!Castiel still had black veins crawling against his skin, stalking around smugly.

Dean looked toward Ness, unconscious on the floor with her head bleeding from the fall on the stairs to the floor, trying to move, still hurt from his attack. "Ness."

Ness slowly woke up.

Catty looked at Leviathan!Castiel. "How many of you ass-clowns are in there? A hundred? More?" Leviathan!Castiel was dripping black fluid. "Your vessel's gonna explode, ain't it? Wouldn't do anything too strenuous. In fact, I'd call it a day, head on home, huh?"

"We'll be back," Leviathan!Castiel told her. "For you."

Leviathan!Castiel walked out, staggering weakly.

"Well..." Ness trailed off. "This is a new one."

§  

Hallway

Sam's hallucination of Lucifer was gripping Sam's throat, having him pushed against a wall.

"You're not real," Sam told him.

"Right," Lucifer told him sarcastically. "You think this fruit bat fever dream is reality? You came back. I'm sorry, with no soul, like some preppy 'American Psycho', till Saint Dean glues you back together again by buying you some magic amnesia. You're real. I'm very real. Everything between is what we call set dressing."

"No," Sam told him.

"You're still in my cell," Lucifer told him. "You're my bunkmate, buddy. You're my little bitch, in every sense of the term."

Sam closed his eyes in denial, trying to push him out of his head.

He heard Octavia's voice. "Sam. Sam. Sam." Sam opened his eyes to see Octavia standing in the place where Lucifer had been, her hands resting on his shoulders. "Hey. Sam, it's okay."

Sam was in shock. "You're not here, Ava. You're dead. You died."

"Yeah, twice now, thanks," Octavia agreed. "But haven't we all?" Sam stammered, unable to find the words he was looking for. "I know. I look good for a girl who just got stabbed in the back." Sam relaxed only slightly, looking around to see that Lucifer wasn't here anymore, looking at Octavia. "It's okay. You know I would never do anything to hurt you. I'm here to help you."

"Ava, ho--how can you help me?" Sam asked.

Octavia smiled a small smile. "Just think of me as that little Angel on your shoulder."

Bobby ran closer, passing through Octavia, making her disappear, looking at Sam. "Hey. All right, we got to button this up. Come on, let's get out of here. Come on."

§  

Water Reservoir

Leviathan!Castiel walked into the reservoir, into the water, arms raised at his side. Ness, Sam, Catty, Dean and Bobby ran through the gate, watching as he walked under. A whirlpool appeared, black liquid radiating out from it in all directions, disappearing.

"Aw, hell," Bobby told them.

Ness saw a sign nearby.

Public Water Supply. No Swimming. No Fishing. No Boating.

§ Worlds Colliding (Supernatural) §

Water Reservoir

Catty shook her head. "Damn it."

"You said it," Bobby told her. "Those... whatever you call thems..."

"Leviathan," Ness told them.

"Right," Bobby agreed. "If they're in the pipes, they got themselves a highway to anywhere."

"Awesome," Dean told them sarcastically.

Catty saw Castiel's trench coat floating to the edge of the reservoir, slowly walking toward it, picking it up. She looked disconcerted and as if she couldn't move. "Okay. So he's gone. Cas is gone."

"Yeah," Sam agreed sadly.

Catty folded the trench coat, looking at it sadly, trying to keep herself under control.

Dean muttered under his breath. "Dumb son of a bitch."

"Well, he was friends with us, wasn't he?" Bobby replied. "He and Ava. Can't get much dumber than that. Look at what it got them. Come on. Those things will be coming up for air soon."

Bobby, Sam, Dean and Ness walked out of the fence leading to the reservoir, leaving.

(Song:) Black Water - The Doobie Brothers

Catty looked at the water for a moment, looking down at the trench coat in her hands, looking completely numb and somber, but not angry. She looked too sad to be angry, turning around, slowly following the others.

§  

Car Wash

Teenage girls in bikinis were washing cars.

§  

House - Kitchen

A woman filled a pitcher of water in the sink.

§  

Park

A young girl was drinking from a water fountain. The water coming from the fountain turned black, entering the girl, possessing her. The girl was a Leviathan now. She smirked, looking at the teenage boy standing over her shoulder.

§  

House 2 - Garage

A man was fixing his car. A nearby sink started to rattle. The man walked toward the radio, turning it off.

(Song Ends)

The man investigated the shaking sink, turning the knob back even though it was already off. Black goo spurted out of the sink, splashing the man in his face. The man groaned, having gotten some in his mouth, wiping the goo away from his face.

§  

Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Day Two

Morning - Bobby's House - Living Room

Sam was asleep in a chair. Catty was sitting on the couch closest to the windows, looking out numbly.

Dean walked closer, looking at Catty. "You okay?"

Catty didn't look away from the window. "I'm fine."

Dean sighed, sitting down in a chair nearby. "Why do you always gotta lie?"

"Why do you always gotta ask stupid questions?" Catty replied.

Sam twitched in his sleep.

Lucifer: (in Sam's head) "Hey. Wake up, Sunshine. Up and at them, atom man."

They looked at Sam's sleeping form.

Sam heard Octavia's voice drawing him away from Lucifer's hallucination. "Sam... Sam, it's okay. Listen to me, Sam."

Sam stirred awake, sitting up.

"Whoa," Dean told him. "That's 12 hours straight. I'm calling that rested. Here." He handed either of them a bottle of water and power bars. "Hydrate, and, uh, protein-ate."

"Breakfast in bed?" Sam asked.

"Don't get used to it," Dean told them.

"I'll pass," Catty told him, looking at Sam. "Let me see that hand." 

Catty took Sam's hand.

Lucifer was standing nearby. "Oh, she wants to hold your widdle hand. How sweet."

Catty removed the bandage, inspecting his stitches. "Eh, you'll live."

Dean picked up a bottle of whiskey. "Here." He poured it over Sam's wound. Sam took a breath of pain. "All right, take it easy."

Bobby and Ness walked in.

"So, ooze invasion," Sam told them. "Any leads?"

Bobby sat on a nearby chair. "I got all my feelers out. Whatever they're up to, it ain't—ain't about going Mothra down Main Street. They'll turn up. You seem pretty eager to stretch your legs, you know."

Bobby put a new bandage on Sam's hand.

"Mm," Sam hummed.

"Now onto our other big problem," Dean told them. "Or, should I say, problems?" He looked from Sam to Catty. "How are you two doing? And do not say okay."

Catty sighed. "Fine. You don't want me to lie again? Then I'm not okay."

"You think?" Dean asked. "'Cause guess what? While Sam has slept 12 hours, you haven't slept a wink."

"Hey," Sam told him. "Go a little easy on Cat."

"There's nothing easy about it, Sam, okay?" Dean asked. "The last time that she lost someone this close, she went into an anger and reckless self-loathing montage for months. But that was because of something that Balthazar and Crowley had the Djinn that killed Brett do to her." Catty looked away numbly in annoyance. "What do you think's gonna happen now, not even a year after what happened to Brett and his family, when we all know how she really felt about Cas?"

"Dean," Ness told him.

Dean looked at them, taking the hint to back off and calm down, sighing, nodding.

"Yeah, Dean, that is exactly why I'm telling you to go a little easy on Cat, because of Brett and Cas," Sam told him.

Catty closed her eyes, rubbing her temples.

Dean pointed at Sam. "Oh, and speaking of you, Sammy, you acting like you had everything under control, when clearly, you don't."

"I get it," Sam told him. "I'm sorry. Look, I—I didn't exactly want to crack up, you know?"

"What the hell happened back there?" Dean asked.

"Well, it's not just flashbacks anymore," Sam told them.

"Well, then, what?" Dean asked.

"It's more like... I'm seeing through the cracks," Sam told them.

"What does that mean?" Ness asked.

"It means I'm having a difficult time figuring out what's real," Sam answered.

"Hallucinations," Dean told him.

"For starters," Sam answered.

"Well, for starters, if you're tripping Hell's Bells, why would you hide that?" Dean asked.

"I wasn't hiding it, Dean," Sam told him. "I—I was just not talking about it. I mean, it seemed like you guys had enough going on as it was. Look, I—I just figured, try to hold onto the safety bar and ride it out, you know? But it's getting more specific."

Dean set glasses of whiskey for himself and them. "As in specifically what?"

§  

Later

Sam had told them everything.

"What the hell, Sam?" Ness asked.

"I told you," Sam told them.

"I mean, seriously, how do you—how do you argue with that?" Catty asked.

"I know," Sam told them. "It's a problem."

"Well, now, wait, I got it," Ness told him. "Why would the Devil holodeck you a whole new life when he could just kick your ass all over the Cage?"

"'Cause, as he puts it..." Sam trailed off.

Sam and Lucifer spoke together. "You can't torture someone who has nothing left for you to take away."

Lucifer smirked. "Very good, Sam."

"Okay, fine," Dean told him. "But this Malibu dream mansion that he—he—he makes for you to take away is this post-Apocalyptic mess?"

"It had to be a mess," Lucifer told him. "Or you wouldn't believe it was your life."

Octavia appeared, putting a hand on Lucifer's shoulder, making him disappear. "Catch you later, Satan." Sam looked at Octavia in slight confusion. Octavia smiled. "Hi, Sam."

Ness noticed that he wasn't paying attention. "Wait. Are you seeing him right now?"

"Not anymore," Sam answered hesitantly. "Ava made him go away. Like she did last time."

"So, what, Ava's like your literal guardian Angel protecting you from the Devil?" Ness asked. Sam shrugged barely. "You know that they're not real. Right?"

"Lucifer says the same thing about you," Sam told them. "Ava's helping me distinguish reality from hallucination."

"I'm going back to work," Bobby told them, turning around, walking out of the room.

Catty, Dean and Ness looked at Sam.

§  

Night

House 3 - Girl's Bedroom

The Leviathan girl was watching TV: Breaking News: Surprise Eclipse

Announcer: (on TV) "Scientists have no explanation for what astronomers can only describe as a surprise eclipse."

The Leviathan girl changed the channel.

Man: (on TV) "Time to announce--"

The Leviathan girl changed the channel.

Woman: (on TV) "We know you're hungry. Why not indulge yourself at Biggerson's home-made pie bar? It's like a salad bar, but with pie."

The Leviathan girl changed the channel.

Man: (on TV) "Next week on Dr. Sexy MD, Dr. Cheyenne Meganopolis makes a shocking return."

Dr. Meganopolis: (on TV) "I'm sorry, Doctors. I forgot being Head Surgeon means you cut into whatever body you want and take out whatever organ pleases you without any paperwork whatsoever."

The Leviathan girl smiled evilly.

§  

Bobby's House

Sam was taking apart his gun. Bobby sat nearby, cleaning his gun. Catty was sharpening knives, looking at Sam. She put down the ordinary knife she had, picking up her Demon knife, looking over the blade. Ness was using the computer in the living room. Dean looked over Ness' shoulder to the screen.

"Well, at least he's not curled up under the sink," Ness told him.

"Yeah, no, he's just sitting there silently field-stripping his weapon," Dean told her, taking Sam's phone out of the jacket that was hanging over a kitchen chair.

"What are you doing?" Ness asked.

"Turning on his GPS, case he decides to fly the cuckoo's nest," Dean answered.

"And you?" Ness asked. "How are you doing?"

"Seriously, Ness, it ain't like he's hexed, you know?" Dean asked. "I mean, what if it's the kind of crazy you can't fix? And I'm just seriously hoping that Catty's not gonna fall apart with all of this happening at once."

"Yeah, I'm—I'm worried, too, but humor me for a second, Dean," Ness told him. "How are you?"

"Don't you think our mailbox is a little full right now?" Dean asked. "I'm fine."

"Right," Ness told him sarcastically. "And weren't you pissed when they said the same thing just a couple hours before they spilled their marbles all over the floor?"

"Yeah, well..." Dean trailed off, pouring himself a cup of coffee. "Catty didn't say anything other than she wasn't fine. Like normal, she's pushing us away. But I'm not Sam, okay? I keep my marbles in a lead freaking box. I'm fine, Ness. Really."

"Of course," Ness told him sarcastically. "Yeah. You and my dad had to exorcise a Demon from my body after she killed me, and you just lost two of the best friends you ever had, your brother's in the bell jar, we have no idea who told Cas to do to your sister whatever he did to her, and Purgatory's most wanted are surfing the sewer lines. But, yeah." She used his words he had used on her in 7.01 Meet the New Boss against him now. "Yeah, but, no, I get it. You're completely fine."

Dean nodded barely. "Hmm. Touche."

Ness smirked. "Hmm."

"You want to do couples' yoga, or you want to get back to hunting the big bads?" Dean asked.

Ness couldn't help a small smile. "Shut up. Dean."

Dean smirked barely.

§  

Stockville, Kansas

Day Three

Morning - Stockville High School - Boy's Locker Room

Three students walked in.

Student 1 looked at Student 2. "Yeah? Up yours, Manny. I still got .06 on your time." He looked at two other students who were already in the locker room. "Hey. Where were you guys?"

"I guess we got here early," Student 3 told them. "Heard something weird come from the showers."

Student 4 closed and locked the door.

"Hey, what are you doing, Williams?" Student 1 asked. "You're going to get in trouble."

"Yes, Scott, I probably am," Williams agreed, grabbing Student 5, throwing him against the wall, making him fall to the floor.

Student 3 crouched on top of the lockers. "What Williams is trying to say, Scott, is that we're too hungry to care."

Student 3 jumped down from the lockers, grabbing Manny. Blood splattered on the lockers.

§  

Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Sioux Falls General Hospital - Hospital Room

Two women were sharing a hospital room. One of them was Sheriff Jody Mills. She seemed extremely bored.

"Crying to the ER nurse, screaming Mother Mary mercy, and when they opened her back up, three sponges, and a set of clamps, sewn up inside like she was a living pinata," the woman told her. "You can't trust these people."

A doctor walked in. "Afternoon, ladies."

"Oh, hello, Doctor," the woman told her.

"Hi, Dr. Gaines," Jody told him.

"So, Ms. Mills, you did excellent today," Dr. Gaines told her. "Just as we discussed, it was a textbook appendectomy."

"That's good," Jody told him.

"But you have been through a serious surgical procedure, and you know, I know you're tough, but I want you to take it easy tonight," Dr. Gaines told her.

"Works for me, Doc," Jody told him.

"The good news?" Dr. Gaines asked. "I've put you down for some pretty fun painkillers."

Jody seemed tempted. "Ooh."

"I'll check in on you first thing," Dr. Gaines told her. "You'll be home in no time."

Dr. Gaines walked out, leaving.

The woman looked at Jody. "Charming, isn't he? Did you know a study showed three quarters of doctors cheat on their exams? He might not know your appendix from your vagina."

§  

Bobby's House - Kitchen

Dean carried groceries into the kitchen. Sam, Ness and Bobby were sitting at the kitchen table.

Catty was sitting in a chair, pulling on usual flat boots. "Hey, there, Gunga Din, buck up."

"Why do you look like you're getting ready for a job?" Dean asked.

"I am," Catty answered. "So it looks like we got some bad news for a change. Stockville North Kansas, most of a high school swim team got mangled to death in their locker room."

"Cops talk on the wire's kind of garbled, saying it looks like some kind of wild animal attack," Bobby told them. "They're saying that whatever attacked them's about the size of a linebacker."

"It's a lead, Dean," Ness told him.

Dean pointed at Sam. "All right, but it you think you're going out on a hunt..."

"No, I know," Sam told him. "I'm not. But you and Catty are. Look, Bobby and Ness are running the hub, I'm—I'm 5150'd, which leaves you two to follow this thing up."

"Sam, you're in the middle of a psychotic break," Dean told him.

"It's a couple hours' drive, Dean, and it could be a Leviathan thing," Sam told him.

"Nah, if you think I'm leaving you here alone..." Dean trailed off.

"Hey," Bobby told him. "What are Ness and me, chopped brains on toast? We can eyeball the kid." He looked from Catty to Dean. "Go. Work off some of these nerves on something useful."

Catty stood, walking toward the table, grabbing her jacket, pulling it on, walking toward the door.

Dean turned after Catty. "Hey." Catty turned to him, slightly impatient. "The only way I'm agreeing to letting you hunt anything is if you get a few hours of shuteye on the way there."

Catty looked from Dean to Sam, Ness and Bobby, shrugging, letting her arms swinging slightly. "Fine." She looked at Dean. "Let's go."

Catty turned, walking out of the house. The others exchanged a look.

§  

Playground

The Leviathan girl was on a swing.

The man from the garage approached, taking hold of the swing to make her stop. "You got yourself an awfully small body."

"Too small," the Leviathan girl told him. "She didn't know anything. Can't even see over the counter."

"Well this one, Edgar?" the man asked. "Edgar worked on something called a demolitions crew. Watching things blow up is apparently very satisfying."

"Annie?" the Leviathan girl asked. "Knew where babies come from. Disgusting, by the way. I'm hungry. We all are."

"Yes, about that..." Edgar trailed off.

"I'm sorry!" Annie told him.

"Sorry?" Edgar repeated. "They ate the swim team."

"Like I said, hungry," Annie told him.

"That's no excuse," Edgar told her.

"Well, what do you want me to do?" Annie asked.

"Get them in line," Edgar answered. "I don't care how. For God's sake, it made the papers. Look, the boss, honestly? He just wants to hear it's taken care of, so take care of it. Quickly. I don't like bringing him bad news. Are we clear?"

"Actually, I have an idea," Annie told him. "I could use your help."

§  

Sioux Falls General Hospital - Hallway

Dr. Gaines walked down the hallway.

§  

Exam Room

Annie was humming behind a privacy screen.

Dr. Gaines walked closer. "Little girl, can I help you?"

"Are you a Dr. Sexy?" Annie asked.

"Uh, I'm a surgeon," Dr. Gaines answered. "Where are your parents?"

Annie shook her head. "Is it true? Surgeons can just cut into whatever body they want?"

"What?" Dr. Gaines asked.

"And remove whichever organs they please?" Annie asked.

"Where in the world did you hear s--" Dr. Gaines started.

"I want to be a surgeon when I grow up," Annie told him, grabbing Dr. Gaines' arm forcefully.

"Ow!" Dr. Gaines told her. "Let me go!"

Annie gripped tighter, breaking his arm, making Dr. Gaines scream. "And I want to grow up now!"

Annie morphed into the form of Dr. Gaines. Blood splattered onto the privacy screen.

§  

Stockville, Kansas

Stockville High School - Boy's Locker Room

A forensics officer was examining the blood-splattered wall of the locker room.Dean and Catty stood at the door, posing as FBI. They showed their fake IDs to the officer standing at the door.

"Special Agents Ian Anderson and Martina Barre," Dean told them.

"Yeah, okay," the officer told them. "Our point cop's out on the doughnut." Dean and Catty ducked under the crime scene tape, walking in. The officer pointed to himself. "I can show you the layout. And step lightly. We got a whole bunch of NC17 shiznickel right over there."

"Right," Catty told them. She saw black ooze on the wall. "Damn it."

Dean looked at Catty in confusion. Catty gestured to the wall.

Dean followed her gaze, realizing what she already had. "Awesome."

§  

Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Night - Sioux Falls General Hospital - Women's Hospital Room

Jody was asleep in her hospital bed. She woke to see Dr. Gaines putting a breathing mask of anesthetic on the woman in the other bed.

"Just breathe deeply," Dr. Gaines told her.

"But my surgery isn't till tomorrow," the woman told him.

"Just breathe deeply," Dr. Gaines told her. "I'm Dr. Sexy. Your surgery is when I say it is."

Jody was pretending to be asleep. Dr. Gaines held the breathing mask against the woman's mouth until she fell asleep, wheeling her body out of the room.

Jody watched him go. "Huh. Not weird at all."

Jody stood.

§  

Hallway

Dr. Gaines wheeled the woman's bed down the hallway. Jody stood further down the hall, watching him go, staying hidden, careful of moving due to her surgery.

§  

Bobby's House - Living Room

Sam was seeing Octavia sitting in a chair reading a magazine. He looked at her for a moment, not knowing what to do. "Ava?"

"Yes?" Octavia asked.

Sam opened his mouth to speak, but before he could, his phone rang. He answered. "Yeah."

Catty's voice was on the other line. "Well, we are positive for ick." Dean was driving in the Impala. Catty was in the passenger seat. They were in normal clothes. "Same kind of stuff that came out of Cas, and, uh, two of the swim kids were missing. They stole one of their parents' cars."

Octavia continued to read. "You know, I really think Prince William has found the right girl. What do you think?"

Sam spoke to Catty over the phone. "So you think these, um, these Leviathan things just jump into people? Like Eve did?"

"I don't know," Catty told him. "It makes sense, right? Anyway, uh, state trooper's got surveillance cam on the kids about six hours old, of them gassing up just south of Dakota line, so we're headed back your way. We'll just track them from Ness and Bobby's."

"Yeah, sounds good," Sam told her.

"Hey," Catty told him. "How are you doing?"

"You know, uh, okay," Sam told her.

"Okay," Catty told him. "Well, hang in there, all right?"

They hung up.

Octavia looked at Sam, sighing in boredom, closing the magazine, leaning forward. "Come on, Sam. I'm doing what I can to protect you here. But it'd be a little easier if I had someone to talk to. You know, strike up a conversation. I might be dead, but you can talk to me." Sam looked at Octavia. "What? You think I'm just another tool Lucifer's using to get to you? Then how do you explain me kicking his ass out... for the time being? I mean, Lucifer will be back. And he'll be here longer than I will. You can count on that. So you better take advantage of these moments while you still can, Sam."

Sam sighed. "Ava..."

"Oh, he speaks," Octavia told him sarcastically.

Sam looked toward where Bobby and Ness were in the next room, standing, walking out. Octavia watched him go, sighing.

§  

Sioux Falls General Hospital - Hallway

Dr. Gaines pushed the unconscious woman in her hospital bed down the hallway. Jody followed further down the way, staying hidden. Dr. Gaines walked in through a door with a sign that read: Organ Transplant Unit, Ward Closed for Renovations

Jody looked through a window to see Dr. Gaines cut into the woman's stomach, removing her liver and set it aside. She gasped, walking down the hallway.

A nurse walked closer. "Ms. Mills, what are you doing out of bed? Are you okay?'

Jody fell unconscious.

§  

Jody's Hospital Room

Jody woke in her bed.

The nurse stood next to her. "Ms. Mills, you gave us all a scare."

"What?" Jody asked. "No, uh..."

"You can't be wandering around the halls like that in your condition," the nurse told her.

"He t--he took..." Jody trailed off, looking at the other bed in the room to see it was empty.

"What?" the nurse asked. "Who?"

Dr. Gaines walked in.

"Dr. Gaines?" Jody asked.

"Ms. Mills," Dr. Gaines told her. "We told you to take it easy, remember?"

"Of course," Jody answered. "I--"

"What in the world were you doing, wandering the halls like that?" Dr. Gaines asked.

"Nothing," Jody told them. "Um, my stitches were itching, and I just wanted to know if that was normal, and I must have fainted or something. My stitches feel fine now."

"Ms. Mills, you can't get out of bed," Dr. Gaines told her. "You could have ripped open your sutures with a fall like that. Don't make me go back in there. Okay?"

The nurse injected something into Jody's IV drip.

"What's that?" Jody asked.

"Just something to help you sleep," the nurse answered.

"No, that's okay," Jody told them. "I'll sleep just fine."

"Doctor's orders," Dr. Gaines told her. "I'll check on you later."

Dr. Gaines and the nurse walked out, leaving.

Jody removed the IV drip, standing, taking her handbag from a drawer. "You can kiss my ass, Dr. Monster Face." She nearly fell, holding herself standing against the bed. "Oh, no."

§  

Singer Salvage Yard

Sam walked along, coming to a stop next to Catty's Mustang and Ness' Car. Octavia followed him.

Sam turned to face her. "Ava... What are you doing here?"

"You mean, why are you seeing me?" Octavia asked.

"Yeah," Sam answered. "If you're not a tool of torture, what are you?"

"The only thing standing between you and Lucifer's full-on, hands-free torment," Octavia answered. "But it's not really Lucifer. Just a hallucination of Lucifer, just like I'm not Ava. I'm just a hallucination of Ava. But unlike Hallucifer, I'm Halluctavia, the only thing that is gonna keep you alive." Sam looked at Octavia in confusion. Octavia sighed. "Yes, Cas did make your Hell-Wall tumble, Sam. But guess what? That just means it's more of a... physical thing, no matter how small. You're looking at what is left of your wall. You see it as something that protects you. Something you see as a guardian. Someone that would protect you, no matter what."

"Ava," Sam told her. Octavia nodded. "And Ava's been a guardian since we met."

Octavia smirked, shrugging slightly. "You were my charge once, Sam. It was sort of my job. But I just kept at it even after everything that went down. Well, not me me, because I'm not Ava Ava, but you get what I mean. And now Ava's dead, you chose to see Ava as your wall, the only thing protecting you from the real danger that lies in that pretty little head of yours, because you're not ready to let go. Not yet. It's sweet, and I'm flattered, really. Sam, you can believe me or not... but it's the truth. I can't keep Lucifer away forever, and I can't do it all the time."

Sam wasn't sure or not to believe Octavia or not. "You know, after... everything. All these years, all that we've been through..."

"You beat the Devil before, Sam," Octavia told him.

"It's kinda different," Sam told her.

"Not really," Octavia told him. "You'll get a handle on this, too. You will. You're not in Hell anymore. You're here, with your family. And Bobby and Ness are as much family as Dean and Catty are. I wish I could say that you're with your friends Cas and Ava, too, but..." Sam looked down. "You hear me, Sam?"

Sam barely nodded, looking up. "Yeah, I hear you, Ava."

§  

Bobby's House - Library

Bobby and Ness were looking over research. Ness stood, grabbing two beers, handing one to Bobby.

"Thanks," Bobby told her.

They opened their beers, taking a drink.

Ness' phone rang. "Oh. That's my local." She pulled out the phone, answering. "Hello?"

Jody was sitting on the floor of her hospital room, whispering. "Ness Singer? My surgeon is a monster."

"Jody?" Ness asked. "Come again?"

"He took my windbag roomie and he ate her liver," Jody told her. "Except he wasn't--he was no surgeon. Listen. His face, his mouth was this horrible... I can't exactly call a deputy here. You and I killed Zombies that one time. I know you handle this kind of thing. Please get your ass here to Sioux Falls General before he eats me, Ness."

Sam walked in, keeping his distance.

Ness hung up, looking at Bobby. "Well, either Jody Mills is having an ObamaCare-insured opium dream, or something's eating folks down at Sioux Falls General Hospital. I might need some backup, so..."

Bobby nodded, standing. Sam walked closer.

"Look, we don't want to bruise your ego or anything, but..." Bobby trailed off.

"No, no, no, it's okay," Sam told them. "Go, go, go. I'll--I'll watch the phones."

Bobby and Ness nodded, walking out, leaving. Sam watched them go, turning to see Octavia standing behind him. Octavia smiled.

§  

Sioux Falls General Hospital - Waiting Room

The two Leviathans from the high school swim team stood at the admittance counter, with bruises and cuts all over them.

"What happened to you two?" the nurse asked.

Edgar walked closer. "I did. Where's Dr. Gaines?"

"Oh, no, that's not how it works, okay?" the nurse asked. "If you require a physician's attention, you're going to have to fill out these forms."

Dr. Gaines walked closer. "I can take over from here, nurse. These youths obviously require immediate care."

§  

Hallway

Dr. Gaines led the boys and Edgar down the hall. "This is where they bring their bodies to be fixed. They consider it a safe place. But the truth is, often they actually die here instead. And they never question it. I'm not kidding."

§  

Hospital Room

A woman and a man were tied up.

Dr. Gaines led the boys and Edgar closer. "We can feed discreetly. Who will know? A few of us in the right positions, and we can feast every single day." He looked at the woman and the man on the floor. "I'm thinking had nurse and the staff administrator first."

"I have to hand it to you," Edgar told him. "That's exactly what the boss asked for."

"Out of the box thinking," Dr. Gaines told them.

"Yes," Edgar agreed. He looked at the two Leviathan boys. "You're off the swim team, boys. Time to pursue a career in medicine." The boys approached the nurse and administrator. Edgar looked at Dr. Gaines. "All right. Check in."

"You won't stay?" Dr. Gaines asked. "I would love to grab us a good anesthesiologist."

"He asked me to check into some other business in the area," Edgar told him. Dr. Gaines realized what he meant, nodding. "Anyway, it seems you've got things well in hand." The boys grabbed the arms of the nurse and administrator. "Why can't they scream?"

"Oh, I severed their vocal cords, of course," Dr. Gaines answered. "It was a delicate procedure, but very doable."

Edgar looked impressed. Blood splattered on the wall.

§  

Bobby's House - Library

Sam was assembling his gun, using a stopwatch to time himself. He looked displeased with the time. He could hear a car pull up, standing, walking toward the door with an open can in his hand. Dean walked in.

"Dean," Sam told him.

"Hey," Dean told him. "Oh, yeah, good thing."

Dean took the can from Sam.

"Uh..." Sam trailed off.

Dean took a drink from the can. "So, Catty and I, uh, we followed those swim kid Levi-whatever."

"To where?" Sam asked.

"Here," Dean told him. "Well, back to town, and that ain't the good news."

"What?" Sam asked.

"It ain't just two of them, we don't think," Dean answered.

"Did you call Bobby and Ness?" Sam asked.

"Yeah, they're working their own case," Dean told him. "We gotta move, and we need backup, and that means you."

"Wait," Sam told him. "You sure about that?"

"I know, you're bonkers," Dean told him. "But, luckily, we just need you to keep the engine running and wait by the back door. Just don't, uh, let Satan change my presets. And we have to hurry, because Catty's still there, keeping an eye on them, making sure nothing happens. Let's go."

Dean walked out, leaving. Sam grabbed his gun and jacket, following Dean.

§  

Sioux Falls General Hospital - Outside

Bobby was pushing Jody in a wheelchair.

"Her name's Mrs. Hackett," Jody told him. "She never came back."

"Ness is checking it out right now," Bobby told her. "Now you get some rest. I'll come by later."

"Bobby Singer," Jody told him. "My hero."

"That's the roofies talking," Bobby told her.

Jody smiled tiredly. Bobby helped Jody into a taxi.

§  

Inside - Morgue

A card on a locker read:

Name: Mrs. Madeline Hackett

TOD: Oct/03 9:44 AM

Age: 56

Transfer from: SPGH

Ward: Orthopedic Surgery

Coroner: Dr. Neil Williams

Ness opened the locker, pulling out the body, reading the chart on top of it. "Foot surgery. Huh. Died this morning." She pulled back the sheet covering the body. "Already autopsied? What the hell?"

§ 

On the Road - The Impala

Dean was driving. Sam was in the passenger seat.

"How you doing, Sam?" Dean asked. "In the head region. Lucifer and Ava still riding shotgun?"

"Not right now, but... yeah," Sam answered.

"Maybe we ought to get you, I don't know..." Dean trailed off.

"Some--some what?" Sam asked. "Some... professional help? What are they gonna do, Dean, just stuff me full of pills? We'll figure out some other option."

"Okay, yeah," Dean told him. "But what are your other options? You remember when Martin took his nose-drive and started shooting at nothing. I mean, his sweater unraveled fast."

"I'm not Martin," Sam told him.

"No, but you are crazy," Dean told him. "That don't wash off. You get that, right? You are never going to be okay, Sam."

Sam looked at Dean in surprise, hurt. "Dean."

§ 

Office Building - Outside

The Impala pulled up outside the office building. Five people were visible through glass windows. Catty was being restrained. Sam and Dean got out of the car.

"Oh, damn it," Dean told him. "There's five of them, and they've got Catty. All right, come on. And listen. When we get in there, you gotta keep it together."

Sam was holding keys. "Yeah, yeah, I--I will, I--"

"'Cause if you're seeing Lucifer and Ava, then you could be seeing all kinds of crap, okay?" Dean asked. "You just don't know."

"How is this helping?" Sam asked. "Let's just go save Catty."

"I'm just saying, Sam, you're out of control," Dean told him.

"I'm dealing with it the best I can, Dean," Sam told him.

"Dealing?" Dean repeated, laughing. "Sorry, that's just funny. I mean, how can you deal? You think this is an office building, right?"

Dean held the door open for Sam. They walked in. The door read: Morning Star Endeavors LTD.

§ 

Warehouse

Sam and Dean walked into a warehouse with no one else in sight.

"Sorry," Dean told him. "Wrong."

"Dean, where the hell are we?" Sam asked.

"Oh, you think I'm Dean," Dean told him. "Right." He smiled, morphing into Lucifer. "You poor, clueless son of a bitch."

"Stay the hell away from me," Sam told him.

Sam turned around, walking away.

"Your world is whatever I want it to be," Lucifer told him. "Understand?"

Sam turned around, shooting at nothing. "Leave me alone!"

Lucifer appeared behind Sam. "Now we're getting there." Sam turned to face Lucifer. "Pinocchio's seeing his strings."

"Shut up," Sam told him.

"It's the big crescendo," Lucifer told him.

"I said shut up!" Sam told him, shooting at nothing.

Lucifer appeared behind Sam. "Want to point that gun at someone useful?" Sam turned to face him. "Try your face." He walked closer to Sam. "Want to know the truth? Want to skip to the last page of the book? You know where to aim." He held a finger against the underside of his jaw. "Cowboy."

Lucifer made a sound to imply pulling the trigger. Sam looked at Lucifer in horrified denial.

§ 

Sioux Falls General Hospital - Morgue

Ness was examining Mrs. Hackett's body, disgusted.

Dr. Gaines walked in. "Can I help you?"

"You can maybe still help this hospital," Ness told him, pulling out her fake FBI badge, showing him. "Agent Malloy. Who's responsible for this sloppy bit of documentation?"

"I know you," Dr. Gaines told her.

"No, you got the wrong girl," Ness told him.

"Ness... Singer," Dr. Gaines told her. "Yes. We saw you. Through the Angel's eyes." Ness realized he was a Leviathan, grabbing a mallet off a tray, using it to hit him across the face, but it hardly had an affect. Dr. Gaines grabbed Ness, pushing her against the table, grabbing an amnesia mask. "Well, let's try for amnesia, then."

Dr. Gaines put the mask on Ness, restraining her against the table, making her breathe in the medicine until she was almost asleep. He transformed. His mouth was huge. He had long pointed teeth and a two-pronged tongue, trying to bite Ness. Bobby was standing behind Dr. Gaines with a shotgun, shooting him in the back. Dr. Gaines returned normal, letting Ness go, bleeding black ooze.

Ness took the amnesia mask off, standing from the table, trying to run away, nearly falling to the floor, tired from the medicine. "Fair enough."

Bobby helped Ness stand, running out of the room.

§ 

Warehouse

Sam and Lucifer were standing together.

Octavia appeared. "Sam. Sam?"

"You think Octavia's trying to help you?" Lucifer asked. "That's she's the remnants of the Wall in your head? Octavia's just another tool to take away from you, to torture you, until you can't take anymore and take the final leap."

Sam aimed the gun at Octavia.

Octavia held up her hands. "Whoa, whoa."

"I don't know, Ava," Sam told her.

"Okay," Octavia told him. "It's okay."

"No," Sam told her. "No, I don't, I..." He looked from Lucifer to Octavia. "I can't know that for sure. You understand me?"

"Okay, now we're gonna have to start small," Octavia told him.

"I don't remember driving here," Sam told her.

"Well, that's because I drove," Lucifer told him. "You thought." He looked at Octavia. "He is very suggestible."

"Shut up," Octavia told him in annoyance. Sam shot at what he thought was Lucifer. "Whoa, Sam. Sam! This discussion does not require a weapon's discharge." Sam lowered his gun, breathing heavily. "Look at me. Come on." Octavia placed a hand on either of Sam's cheeks, turning his head to look at her. "You don't know what's real? Do you feels this? I'm not real, Sam, I'm not the real Ava, but I'm trying to help you. I know what real pain is, and I know that it feels different. Hell, Lucifer, and this regular, stupid this."

"No, no," Sam told her. "How can I know that for sure? You're not even the real Ava."

"Let me see your hand," Octavia told him.

"Smell you, Florence Nightingale," Lucifer told her.

Octavia ignored him, looking annoyed, taking Sam's injured, bandaged hand, showing it him. "Sam. This is real. Not a year ago, not in Hell. Now. You cut this on Ava's Angel Sword when you were trying to take care of Ava. The blade nearly went through your hand. You know, everyone was there when you cut it. Ness sewed it up for you. Bobby bandaged it. Dean and Catty used whiskey and bourbon to clean it so it didn't get infected. Sam, push it."

Sam put his gun under his arm, pushing against the stitches of his injured hand.

Lucifer appeared next to Octavia, flickering. "We've done a lot more with pain."

Sam took a breath of pain, wincing.

"This is different, Sam," Octavia told him. "Right? Then the crap that's tearing through your mind."

"Yeah, I think so," Sam answered.

"You sure about that, bunk buddy?" Lucifer asked.

Octavia looked at Lucifer in annoyance. "Go back to your corner, Satan. Think about what you did to Sam."

Sam pushed his right thumb against his wound, making it bleeding through the bandage.

Lucifer flickered. "Doesn't mean anything."

Octavia turned to Sam. "You got away, Sammy. We got you out, Sam."

"Sammy," Lucifer told him. "Sammy." Sam continued to push his thumb hard against the wound. "Sammy, I'm the only one who can--"

Lucifer flickered, disappearing.

Octavia took Sam's hands in her own. "Believe me, okay? Sam, you gotta believe me. You got to make it stone number one and build on it. You understand?"

Sam nodded. "Yeah. Yeah, okay." Octavia smiled a small, reassuring smile, flickering, disappearing. Sam sighed in relief, looking around in confusion. "Ava?"

§ 

On the Road

The Impala drove down the road.

§ 

The Impala

Dean was driving.

Catty was asleep in the passenger seat. She slowly woke up. She looked at Dean. "When'd I pass out?"

"Couple hours back," Dean answered. "Felt good, huh?" Catty waved him off, sitting up. "Yeah, there's a good girl." Catty hit him in the chest. "Ow! Now, there's a bad girl."  

Catty looked toward the side of the road. "Dean. Dean, pull over."

Dean followed her gaze.

§  

Roadside

Sam was walking alone. The Impala pulled to a stop next to him. Catty and Dean got out of the car.

"Sammy?" Catty asked. Sam turned to face Catty and Dean. "What happened to you? Why are you all the way out here?"

Sam sighed. "I'll explain on the way." His phone rang. He pulled it out to answer. "Bobby, hey."

Bobby was driving, looking at Ness in the passenger seat, who had fallen asleep due to the anesthetic mask. "The Sheriff was right. The hospital thing's definitely our kind of thing. Ness and I double-barreled one of them in the morgue. Silver buckshot. No effect. Bled black ooze."

"Leviathan here?" Sam asked.

"Ness passed out because of the Levis dosing her up with anesthetic, so we're falling back, and I'm taking Nessie home," Bobby told him. "We'll meet you at the house. We can regroup."

Sam hung up, looking at Catty and Dean. "Ness and Bobby's got a live one. They're heading home because one dosed Ness up with anesthetic, nearly killed her. They need backup."

"Okay, well, let's go," Dean told them.

Sam nodded. Catty and Dean got into the seats they were in before. Sam got into the backseat.

§  

On the Road - The Impala

Catty looked at Sam. "So, Ava's what's left of your Hell-Wall, huh?"

"Apparently," Sam answered.

"Well, it makes sense, why it'd be Ava," Catty told him. "She always did protect us. And fight for us. And the way we lost her... the way you lost her... I get that you don't want to let Ava go."

Sam nodded sadly.

"Look, when we get back to Ness and Bobby—" Dean started.

"It's okay, Dean," Sam told him. "I'm good. No white rabbits." He chuckled briefly. "Thanks to Ava, I'm not seeing anything."

"Okay," Dean told him. "Baby steps."

Dean smiled a small smile. Catty and Sam returned it, but their smiles were barely noticeable and in no way convincing after everything they went through, what they had just lost.

§  

Bobby's House - Outside

Bobby's House was burned to the ground, leaving nothing and possibly no one inside. The Impala pulled up. Catty, Sam and Dean got out of the car, worried, horrified and in denial.

Dean looked around. "Oh, no."

§  

Catty walked out of the remains of the house. Sam and Dean walked closer.

"Any sign of them?" Sam asked.

Catty held up a blackened journal, tossing it behind them, leading the way toward the salvage yard. "That place was torched. Somebody knew what they were doing."

"You think Bobby and Ness was back there?" Sam asked.

"I don't know," Dean told them, holding up a hand, gesturing for them to split up to look for Bobby and Ness.

They split up to look for Bobby and Ness.

§  

Singer Salvage Yard

Sam, Dean and Catty were looking in separate places, frantic and horrified, in denial. "Bobby? Ness? Bobby! Ness!"

Dean was looking, pulling out his phone, making a call.

Ness: (voice mail) "This is Ness Singer's emergency line. Whatever it is, I'll get back to you."

"Yeah, you better," Dean told her. "You cannot be in that crater back there. I can't... If you're gone, I swear, I'm going to strap my 'Beautiful Mind' brother and my 'Girl, Interrupted' sister into the car, and I'm gonna drive us off the pier. You asked me how I was doing? Well, not good. I can't do this without you, Ness. Okay? You can't be gone. Now, you said you'd be here. Where are you?"

Dean hung up, in denial, lowering his phone to his side, panicking, helping Sam and Catty look for them, each calling their names. "Bobby! Ness!"

§  

Elsewhere

Catty was still looking. "Ness! Bobby!"

Catty turned to see Edgar around a corner.

"Catty Winchester," Edgar told her. "Many Leviathans want to get their hands on you."

"Get in line," Catty told him.

"And, apparently, your brothers, your friends are competent enough to warrant annihilating," Edgar told her. "I'd take both as a compliment."

"What do you want with me, then, if not to kill me?" Catty asked.

Edgar stalked closer. "To find something very important."

Edgar grabbed Catty by her throat, throwing her toward a car, making her hit against the windshield, making it shatter. Catty was wearing only a tank top and shorts, along with flat boots, most of her skin unprotected against the glass. Broken pieces of glass, jagged and sharp, injected into her skin, making her bleed. She tried to push herself, noticing the control on top of the car hood she was on. Edgar stalked closer, gripping Catty by her shoulders, pushing her further against the glass, making the glass inject further and the blood flow more quickly and profusely. Dean shot Edgar in the side of the head with a shotgun. Edgar stood straight, looking at the black ooze on his hand, his face transforming: his mouth enlarging, his teeth becoming long and jagged, and a long, two-pronged tongue unfurled. He returned back to normal, pushing Dean's gun away, grabbing Dean, throwing him away, making him fall to the ground. They heard bones snapping in Dean's leg. Catty winced. Sam ran up, punching the Leviathan in the face, making him back away. Catty crawled up the car toward the control for a hoist that was holding a car suspended in the air. Edgar stood.

Sam looked at his sister. "Cat, now!"

Catty hit the button to eject to the car, making it fall toward Edgar. Edgar hit Sam in the face with a crowbar, making him fall away to the ground. The car crushed onto Edgar. Black ooze spread from under the car around his hand, which was the only part of him visible.

Catty slid off the car weakly, running toward Sam and Dean, both unconscious and Dean with a broken leg, kneeling next to them. "Dean. Sammy? Hey, come on, now. I can't get both of you out of here." She hit Sam's chest. "Sam! Dean's got a broken leg. Sammy, we got to carry Dean."

Catty gave up, pulling out her phone, making a call.

§  

On the Road

Two ambulances drove down the road, lights flashing and sirens blaring.

§  

Ambulance

Sam and Dean were on stretchers inside one ambulance. A paramedic was examining Sam. Sam opened his eyes to see Octavia.

"Sam, stay with me, okay?" Octavia asked.

The paramedic spoke into a communicator. "Male, late twenties, head trauma. Signs of increasing intracranial pressure."

"It's gonna be okay, Sam," Octavia told him. "I might not be real. Maybe I'm not the real Ava. Nobody's perfect. But I'm not going anywhere." Sam looked slightly relieved. He closed his eyes, thrashing, mouth opening. "Sam? Sammy?"

The paramedic spoke into the communicator. "Yeah, he's seizing. Copy that. We're just pulling into Sioux Falls."

"Sioux Falls?" Dean repeated. "Sioux Falls General? No, no, no. No, you gotta take us somewhere else, anywhere. Please."

"Yeah, okay, buddy," the paramedic told him.

Octavia gave the paramedic a look. "That's where the Leviathans are, you jackass. Come on. They just got out of the fire, and you're dragging them to the party? You're going to be the death of them."

Dean tilted his head against the pillow in distress.

§  

Singer Salvage Yard 

The black ooze retreated back under the car. Edgar's hand twitched, moving. Edgar was still alive.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.8K 599 25
Catty Winchester is "the vessel". Michael's vessel. Sam Winchester is "the vessel". Lucifer's vessel. Dean Winchester is doing whatever it takes to k...
14.6K 405 9
Ness Singer is getting ready for the war that is still left to come. Dean Winchester is back from Hell, and he's brought back by Angels to help their...
60.9K 1.7K 48
(I'm in the process of rewriting this book! The new version is called "Bubblegum and Blood Roses"! But please feel free to still read this one! The p...
31.8K 609 25
Catty Winchester is mysteriously brought back from Hell, and she's got a long road ahead of her when she finds out that Angels were behind it, and th...