Midnight Shades

By zeebooks

Behind an old tree she would sit and stare at him, admire his beauty and charm, hidden by the darkness of the... More

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
A Message.
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Surprise (1)
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Q&A?
Chapter 48
Q&A Answers!
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Surprise (2)
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Surprise (3)
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Epilogue
Thank You.
Winners and New Book.
Another Q&A?
Q&A Answers.
Bonus Chapter: Family
What Do You Think?

Chapter 10

1.4K 77 23
By zeebooks

Master Bradan.

It looks like Lyara likes to fuck things with me. She gives me a good moment, only to follow it with a bad one.

The three of us are frozen as we stand in front of Master Bradan, speechless and can't think of anything to say. Somehow, I know that he is not suspecting us, because we are just two steps away from our cottages, and because he is a very good man. Very good that he can't even think about someone in a bad way, let alone his daughter and her friends. However, he is also very good that it might cause problems at some point.

I open my mouth to speak, but thankfully, he beats me to it, "What woke you up so early?"

The smile that spreads across his features as he asks us relaxes me, and I hear the long, deep breath that Esme releases, along with Wren. A nervous chuckle escapes Esme's mouth as she replies, "We slept early, father. So we woke up and decided to walk around."

"For a second, I thought you were out of the village," he chuckles as he says. "How silly of me."

We all force a laugh with him as Wren speaks, "No, why would we?"

"Yes," he agrees. "Anyway, I will leave you now to enjoy the little hours before work. You can also watch the sunrise at the river. It looks like a good day."

What a gentle, kind man he is. Always hoping and wishing for the comfort of his people, and never having a bad thought about anything. Sometimes, it strikes me how positive he is about everything, even if it was death; he always sees the positive side of it.

"Thank you, Master. We certainly will." I say with a smile as I take Wren's and Esme's hand in mine and push them towards the river's road.

As soon as we are out of sight, Wren breaks into a fit of laughter as Esme places a hand over her heart as she breathes out, "Oh my fuck."

"I thought we were done over there." I laugh.

"I felt like I was going to piss my pants!" Wren snorts and rolls her eyes.

"Poor father," Esme pouts. "He's such a sweetie."

"Oh, shut up," I push her as we reach the river.

I have always loved this place. It is the best thing in this village. The river is between the many trees, the gate of the river is basically a series of leaves falling from an old, big, and tall tree. Once you pass those leaves, you find yourself inside a different world.

I smile and breathe in the fresh, pure air. The sound of the waterfall mixing with the calm sound of the wind is exactly what a person needs for a relaxation. We reach the end of the side walk of the river and we sit down on the edge, taking off our shoes and dangling our feet inside the surprisingly warm water, despite the slightly cold weather.

"The water is so warm." Wren gushes, splashing some water.

"Do you guys want to get in?" Esme suggests.

"Nah, I don't feel like it." I shake my head.

"Oh, come on!" Esme whines and Wren nods, encouraging Esme's words.

Just as I am about to reply back, I feel something pulling down on my feet inside the water. I scream, loudly and in fear, but I am too late as I get pulled under the warm water. My eyes shut tight automatically, and I shut my nose with my fingers.

Once I regain some control over my body, I literally force myself out of the water with a loud gasp. When I get out, I take a deep breath and push my hair away from my face, and open my eyes, only to see Esme and Wren laughing their asses off outside the water.

"Fuck, what happened?" I gasp and it is not until I hear the familiar, loud laugh from behind me that I turn around.

"Gotcha!" He laughs and throws his head back.

My nose flares in anger as I start swimming angrily towards him. "I will fucking kill you, Zayn!" I shout as I start swimming towards him.

"I'm sorry!" He laughs even louder as I start splashing water on him.

"Fuck you! Why did you do that?" I question my cousin in anger, though I drop the face when a wide grin forces itself on my face.

"You... Ha-ha! You should have seen your face! Oh, Great Lyara!" He laughs but engulfs me in a hug. "I'm sorry." He continues laughing.

"This is not funny," I push him away and hit his shoulder. "You scared me to death."

"That's what you get for not taking me to the city with you." He says, swimming a bit.

"Like you would have agreed," I roll my eyes. "You're the damn security of the Sun Gate. You can't leave it." I remind him.

"True to that, but," he pauses and smirks as Wren and Esme join us in the warm water. "I am getting promoted."

"Oh, really?" Esme scoffs, "And guard what gate? The Midnight Gate?"

He continues smirking as he swims over to her, leaving a few inches between them. Both Wren and I watch as Esme's eyes turns challenging and a smirk forms on her lips as Zayn says, "No, I will be the Gates' Supervisor."

My lips parts in shock as I loudly exclaim, "The fucking Supervisor? As in you will control all of the gates?"

"Yeah," Zayn winks.

"Finally," Wren breathes, turning her head back to dip it inside the water. "We won't be afraid to go out of the village anymore."

"We still can get caught." I remind her. "Zayn's help will only be ten per cent."

"But it's better than nothing." Esme agrees to Wren's words.

"Hold on," Zayn stops us. "Who told you that I will help you? Like, ever?"

I look at him with both of my eyebrows up as I shrug, "You will. Whether you like it or not."

"Lulah, you're going to get us all busted one day," He says, shaking his head. "Oh, what happened with that city guy?"

Immediately a wide grin plays on my lips as I swim on my back away from them, enjoying the warm water in the chilly air, I smile and say loudly, "It was perfect."

I hear Esme's evil laugh as she tells Zayn, "He kissed her."

"Did you like it, cousin?" Zayn shouts, laughter evident in his tone.

"It was a cheek kiss!" I shout back, the wide grin can't be erased as I replay the kiss in my mind.

I am still very overwhelmed that it happened and that I got to feel Louis' lips on my skin. I have no idea why did he do it, I have no clue what persuaded him to do so, but I will not complain. I'm more than happy that he did so.

Replaying the whole day inside my mind, makes me feel like it is a fucking dream. I still haven't slept since the morning before. The first time I talked to Louis. It is incredibly crazy that so much happened in less than twenty four hours. I have picked up my guts and every ounce of bravery and talked to Louis, I have got the perfect tattoo. I got to hear his voice and his laugh, see his smile only inches away from me. Although, I saw a part of Louis that I have never seen before; the angry part, I was more than glad that it gave me some more time with him.

And that motorcycle ride. Man, it was the best. Not only because it was the first time for me to be on one, but because it was with Louis, the first time for me to experience something new was with Louis, and that makes me happier than it should. I still feel a bit stunned that he saw me before, that he saw me more than once, and that I somehow captured his attention. It all seems like a dream. A dream that I wish not to be awaken from.

His kiss was the best part. It was such a small, kind and soft kiss that drove me absolutely crazy. I swear I could have died right then and there, in front of him. I wasn't expecting all of that to happen. Hell, I don't know about anything when it comes to Louis, and that angers me.

"Thinking about the magical kiss?" My dream is interrupted by none other than my cousin.

"Shut up," I grumble, splashing him with some water. I then notice that there is only me and him, no sign of Wren or Esme. "Where are they?" I question.

"They said they needed a shower and a proper breakfast before work." He answers, swimming towards the waterfall.

"Well, I'm out, too." I announce and swim out of the river, I honestly have no idea how will I manage through work today with no sleep at all. As I take Cronan's Cheetos from the ground, Zayn stops me.

"Wait, listen," he swims towards me. "Can you do me a favour?"

I raise an eyebrow at his wide grin and puppy eyes. I ask, "What is it?"

"Set me up on a date with Esme?" He says, biting down on his lip.

My eyes widen and I kneel down to talk to him, "Esme?" He nods. "Fuck, you like her?"

He shrugs. "Yeah, for quite some time actually."

I laugh and shake my head, "Wow. Okay, yes, I'll talk to her about it."

He winks and pushes himself inside again, "Thanks, Lulah."

I nod with an amused smile before turning around and leaving. Zayn fancies Esme? Wow. Who would have thought?

I shrug it off because it is really weird and strange to think about that. I don't know how Esme will think about it, I don't even think she likes him since we hardly talk about him, but we will see. The crisp of the air of October makes me shiver because of my wet clothes. I hurry towards our cottage and slide in sneakily, though I jump in surprise when I hear my father's voice.

"Tallulah? Where have you been?" I immediately hide the Cheetos behind my back as I look at my father.

"I woke up early, so me and the girls decided to go for a swim in the river, Zayn was there, too." I reply quickly, deciding to go with that lie.

"Oh, alright," he nods and walks to the kitchen. "It is a good day, isn't it?"

"Very, father. Very." I grin. If only he knows.

"Well, go on and take a shower. I will wake your mother up." He informs me with a sweet smile.

"Okay." I reply, smiling. Running to my room, I quickly take out a fresh pair of undergarments, black skinny jeans, and a pale pink sweater.

I try as hard as I can to stay awake as I take a warm shower, freshening myself up a bit. Once I finish, I dry myself and put on my clothes before drying and brushing my hair. I step inside my black ankle boots and head to the kitchen, where I hear my mother and my father's chattering.

"Good morning." I say, kissing both of their cheeks and ruffling Cronan's hair.

"Good morning, dear." They both say in unison and I smile before taking a seat next to Cronan.

He taps on my leg and I bend down as he whispers in my ear, "Did you bring me my Cheetos?"

"Yes, it's in my room." I say and he immediately springs off to my room.

"Would you like some coffee, Tallulah?" My mother offers.

"Oh, yes please." I nod immediately. I don't know what will happen if I don't drink coffee today. I still have work.

Later, I find myself in the middle of the Green Land, picking up the raspberries from its roots. The redness of the raspberries, along with the air and the good sun of this blissful day, is enough to make a depressed person incredibly happy.

I would like to think that I have a very good job. Something about picking the fruits and the vegetables from the land makes me feel happy, with the sun always shinning and the great help that I sometimes receive. I'm a person who likes the fresh air a lot. So, I prefer picking the fruits and vegetables out in the fresh air, instead of working as a cashier and a hairdresser like Esme and Wren.

After work, I immediately run back home, have dinner before I run to my room. I haven't slept in a long time and I bet that there are dark circles around my eyes, making me look horrible. I take a shower and change into some shorts and a tee shirt. However, as I start relaxing in my bed, and before sleep pulls me under, I notice a small white paper under my opened window, folded neatly and screaming for me to take it.

I furrow my eyebrows together as I get up again and take this paper. With a nervous mind, I bite down on my lip and carefully open the piece of paper. Though, once I do that, and read what is inside of it, my blood turns to ice, my face drains and loses all of its colours. My eyes widen as I read the words over and over again, coming to the conclusion that I'm not safe.

You're busted.

Hope you enjoyed it. Thank you for reading and please, don't forget to vote and comment :) x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

304K 7.9K 31
I've liked this boy since fifth grade. But he's my brothers friend. His best friend.
8.2K 1.1K 61
She is still healing from the death of her childhood friend. She can't let go of the past, she can't get her mind off it. So instead she lives for th...
322K 17.5K 43
[wattys shortlist 2018] Colton has always hated Alexis. It's as simple as that. Alexis has never hated Colton though, not even after the night havo...
1.1M 44.3K 51
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...