Running on the Beach at Night

By akslate

Samantha "Sam" Smith grew in a small town in Martha's Vineyard, called Oak Bluff. Sam never drew out side th... More

Running on the Beach at Night
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 2)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 3)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 4)
Running on the Beach at night (Chapter 5)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 6)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 7)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 8)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 8 Continued)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 9)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 10)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 11)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 12)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 13)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 14)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 15)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 16)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 17)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 18)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 18 continued)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 19)
Running on the beach at Night (Chapter 20)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 21)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 22)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 23)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 24)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 26)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 27)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 28)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 29)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 30)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 31)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 32)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 33)
Running on the Beach at Night (Epilogue)

Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 25)

20.4K 279 19
By akslate

Chapter 25

Recap-

 Carter also pushed himself off the counter and sighed. This is where the old Carter would come on to me, and beg me for sex. To my surprise, Carter looked over at me and smiled. “Nah, I should really get going. I would hate to piss your man off.”

He would hate to piss my man off? I snapped my head over to him, “What are you talking about?” I asked.

Carter chuckled a bit, “Arent you and Danny seeing each other?”

My eyes widened as he asked me, “No.” I snapped, “Why would you think that?”

“I followed you out last night, making sure you didn’t want me to give you a ride and you and Danny…” He stopped talking for a moment, “You and Danny were kissing. I figured yall were an item.”

“Well, we aren’t.” I said quickly. I wasn’t trying to be a bitch but I couldn’t let this stuff get out. Izzy was already pissed off at me enough.

Carter nodded quickly, “Well that’s cool. I was just thinking…”

Before he could finish his sentence I stopped him, “Well you were wrong.”

After a while longer, Carter left the house and headed home. I ended up having to explain everything to him because otherwise he would have never left it alone. That’s just the way Carter was though, he was curious.  I laid in bed after he left, still thinking about his situation. I felt terrible for him, I also felt bad that I didn’t have any good advice for him.

After an hour of lying there of being unable to sleep, I decided to run. It had been way too long, and overdue. So I slipped some shorts on and grabbed my tennis shoes. I knew the wind would feel amazing tonight. I grabbed my ipod before I walked out on the beach.

I listened to the waves crashing ashore before the popped the earphones in. I finally put them in, and the first song that played was my absolute favorite, Sweet Little Thing by Lucero. My legs started running hard with the beat as I soon forgot every detail of the day. I knew it would be erased, but only for a little while. I towards the old light house. I knew it was a long way, but I wasn’t stopping until I got there.

          Chapter 25-

COMMENT/FAN/VOTE PLEASE1

          Hope you guys enjoy J

          The rest of the week had crept by sluggishly, I hadn’t heard from Izzy since I had told her about Danny and me sleeping together. My days were filled will work, where Emily, Tanner and I mostly goofed off. I, also, hadn’t seen or heard from Danny which was odd. He had started almost texting me every night, but ever since the day we went to the lake, I hadn’t heard a word from him. I didn’t let that get me down though. I called myself taking one step at a time, the only thing I needed to be worrying about right now was where I was headed when the summer was over.

          “I don’t really understand why she is so pissed off at you. It’s just her brother, it’s not like he is her ex-boyfriend.” Emily explained as she cut open the UPS box full of new books.

          I sat a couple of new books on the book shelf and then looked down at her, “I don’t know, I guess it’s because I waited so long.”

          “Well, still what did she expect?” Emily asked.

          We sat around for while longer, cutting open boxes putting the books in alphabetical order.

          “So, are you going to the festival this weekend?” Tanner asked curiously.

          I sighed, as I remembered the annual summer festival. The festival that I wouldn’t be attending. I knew, all the Bradford’s would be there, they always were.

          “Nah, I doubt it.”

          “What? Why? You never miss it.” Tanner looked over at me with a wandering expression.

          “I’m really just not in the partying mood.”

          I wasn’t in the mood to have to attend and have to watch Izzy give me dirty looks all night, and then have to watch Charlie be all over Danny. It honestly didn’t sound appealing at all.

          We all stood in the back for a while getting the shelves straight when the front bell rang. “Sam, do you mind?” Tanner asked me as he picked a heavy box up filled with new books.

          I ran to the front, to see Izzy standing there nervously. She always bit her lip and twirled her hair when she was nervous. I stopped in my tracks and looked at her as she spoke, “Hi”

          I looked at her for a moment, trying to figure out her blunt expression. I couldn’t tell if she was pissed or upset. I wanted so badly for everything to be like it was.  Part of me wished that I could take back everything that had happened with Danny, just so I would have her friendship.

          I shifted a little bit on my feet as I walked over to the counter, “Hey.”

          She walked a couple of steps closer, but then she stopped. “Uh, can we maybe, talk?”

          I looked back to Tanner and Emily who were still in the back, flirting away. “Tanner, I’m taking a break.” I knew he wouldn’t care since we weren’t busy at all. Plus, he and Emily were too caught up in themselves.

          I grabbed my keys before he could say anything and walked past Izzy. My mind couldn’t decide if I was mad at her, I mean she had slapped me and didn’t give the time to explain myself.

          I looked back to Izzy as she followed me out of the door silently. She had only said a couple of words to me in the store; I can’t imagine what she would have to say to me while we were alone.

          We sat on the bench outside of the bookstore in silence for the longest time. I couldn’t say anything, and she was just too stubborn to say the first words. Time ticked down like a time bomb, it was like if someone didn’t say something soon I would blow up in nervousness. I glanced over at her, while she tried her hardest to keep her gaze from mine.

          I sighed at her silence, “Izzy, why did you bring me out here?” I asked irritated.

          Her gaze finally met mine, “Why did you keep something that important from me?” She asked.

          I turned my body towards hers, “Izzy, I didn’t know how to tell you. We were both plastard walking down the beach, and then all of the sudden we were making out on the ground.” I paused before I finished my story, “…Then before I could stop him, we were having sex. I was so ashamed.”

          “I wasn’t mad that you were, or have been sleeping with him. I am just mad that you couldn’t tell me.” Izzy looked at me with an angry expression, “We are supposed to be like sisters, there is nothing you can’t tell me.”

          “I’m so sorry, it was stupid of me to keep it from you.” I said quickly, hoping that she would just accept my apology.  “I didn’t know what to do; I didn’t know if I should tell anyone since he is engaged. I didn’t want to ruin that for him.”

          I could tell Izzy’s eyes were filled with thought. I wanted to know so badly what she was thinking.

          We sat there for moments, before a wide smiled spread across her face. She leaned in and grabbed me, “I’m sorry for slapping you.” She laughed a bit while crying, but then continued to talk, “But don’t think for one minute that I’m behind this whole ‘Danny and Sam’ shit. I don’t like it, because I know how Danny is but I guess you’re going to have to learn from yourself.”

          I started crying as well, “I don’t want to talk about that. I just want to know that you forgive me.” My heart warmed at her confession, she wasn’t mad at me for sleeping with him, she was only mad because I didn’t tell her which was understandable.

          “You’ll always be my sister, Sam.” She brought her finger up to my face and poked her pinky out at me. I hooked my pinky with hers and then we both kissed our hands. “I promise, no matter what.”

          A rush of happiness ran over me, I was so happy that everything had finally come out and things turned out to be the total opposite than I thought they would. I felt like the world was lifted off my shoulders for once, as we sat there chit chatting about the weekend coming up.

          “Sam, your break was up 15 minutes ago.” I looked back to see Tanner sticking his head out of the door looking at me giving me a sarcastic smile.

          I turn towards Izzy who was laughing and rolling her eyes. I rolled mine as well, “I guess I should get back to work.” I stood from the bench, and walked towards the door.

          “Hey Sam?” Izzy called back to me.

          I turned around towards her, “Yeah?”

          She smiled sadly, as if she knew something I didn’t. “Don’t get your heart broken.”

          I stood there for a moment as she walked off. I watched her every move as she left, wanting so bad to call her back and ask what she was talking about; but, I didn’t. I turned back and walked into the empty bookstore.

          I sat down on the couch, and thought about what had just happened. I was so happy that Izzy and I were okay. I just wasn’t sure about what she said when she left. Did Izzy know something that I didn’t? I sighed, and sat with a blank stare on my face. At least, my confession was out of the way. Now, the only thing I had to worry about was Danny and him leaving Charlie. I had to say I was ready for things to just be me and Danny. Not me Danny and Charlie.

**

          Five o’clock finally rolled around about what seemed like 10 hours later. I was extremely pooped. I grabbed my purse and keys and I locked up the store.

          I walked under the bright, scorching sun. I knew I shouldn’t have worn blue jeans today. I walked slowly, in silence when a nice black BMW pulled up beside me. I looked over at the car and looked at the oddly, why had it just stopped in front of me?

          Finally the person in the car decided to reveal themself, but the person in the car was one I knew all too well.

          “Hey, it sure it hot outside today.” Carter lightly pressed the gas to keep up with me. I studied him for a moment before speaking; he was leaning back in the car looking relaxed. Since when did he drive a BMW?

          I giggle a little bit, “Indeed it is.”

          Carter finally put the car in park, “Well, this is when you should stop and wait for me to offer you a ride. Not keep walking, Samantha!”

          I laugh out loud and kept walking. Carter did always have a great personality. “Correction, this is when you should offer me a ride and then I might stop and accept your offer.”

          Carter laughed hard, as he shook his head. “Well, Miss Smith. Would you like a ride home?”

          I looked over at him, with a crooked grin. “Nah, I think ill walk.”

          I stopped and looked over at him as he laughed, “Get your ass in the car before I make you.”

          I slowly made my way over to his car, when I see him lean over to the passenger side and open my door. I hopped in the car, and he sat there for a moment looking at me. He was smiling a broad smile and I could see the dimples in his cheeks. I smiled back at him sweetly, only realizing the smile that I had seen on his face, was nowhere near as perfect as Danny’s.

          “Call me crazy Carter, but I’m starting to think your following me. This is what… The third day in a row that I have stumbled across you?”

          Carter laughed as he put the car into drive, “Who knows, maybe I am.”

          I changed the subject when I noticed he had a different stare about him. It was forceful and intense. “When did you get a new car?”

          I watch Carter as he drove so relaxed. My mind thought back to the first time I ever got into his car, he did the same thing. I was walking home from school, and he stopped and asked if I needed a ride. The first time, I was extremely nervous as he searched for random things to talk about. I laughed to myself when I remembered how nervous and tense I was to be getting a ride home from the school’s hottie.

          “I got it for graduation.” He answered me, “I miss my old pick-up truck though, she was my baby.”

          I laughed as I remembered the old pick-up he used to drive. It was a baby blue, single cab Ford. I had to say though, this car fit his old egotistical personality. I still couldn’t figure out if Carter was the old Carter that he used to be though, it didn’t seem like it.

          “Well, it’s nice.” Who wouldn’t like a fully loaded, 2009 black BMW? He was crazy if he really missed that old pick up that barely ever ran correctly.

          “Yeah, I guess.”

          A few minutes later he parked in front of my house, I looked over at him for a second as he looked back at me.

          “Well, thank you for the ride.” I smile at him, and open the car door. I quickly grab all of my belongings and get out of the nice car.

          I walked a little ways when I hear Carter calling me, “Hey Samantha?”

          I turned back to him, and smiled. “Thank you a lot for last night.”

          I smiled, remembering how upset he had been. “Anytime.” I watched Carter as he drove away. He really must have taken a turn, because the old Carter never thanked anyone for anything. My heart tugged for a moment, when I turned around to see Danny’s face.

          My heart stopped beating for a moment, was he here to tell me that he had broken things off with Charlie? I took a deep breath and walked almost sprinted into his arms, but before I got there I stopped myself.

          His facial expression gave off no sign of excitement what so ever. My shoulders slumped as I stopped at least five footsteps in front of him.

          He stood there with his hands in his pockets, nodding his head. “I shouldn’t have come here.” He said almost laughing trying to play off his hurt voice.

          It was the first time I had seen his beautiful face all week, and he was saying that he shouldn’t have come? What the hell! I swear his looks got better and better each day.

          I looked at him oddly, “What? Why not?” I asked. I was surprised to see him, but that didn’t mean I wasn’t excited.

          “Seeing you with other guys drive me insane Samantha, you know that.” Danny stood still, exactly the way I had first seen him. He looked extremely handsome today. His black curls fell into his eyes, and the bright blue V-neck t-shirt made his eyes practically pop out of his head.

          “Danny, Carter was just giving me a ride.” I explained.

          Danny shook his head, “I know I can’t exactly say anything Sam, but it kills me. I know you have to watch me and Charlie every day but I can’t take having to see you with other guys. I know I’m being selfish.”

          “Carter and I could never be anything again.” I said quietly. Damn right he was being selfish, he had a fiancé and he didn’t want me seeing other guys? I stared at him with disbelief.

          Danny finally moved closer, but I stepped back. “How do you think it feels for me?” I said, keeping my gaze on his Adam’s apple.

          “Samantha, I know this is a really shitty situation for you. I’m trying my hardest, I promise you I am.” His voice was pleading for me to believe him, but for some unknown reason I didn’t believe him.

          I watched his as he waved his arms in every direction. I studied his flawless features for a long while before I could force anything out of my mouth. “I know you are, but I have this gut feeling that I should just leave you alone Danny. I have a feeling that we are doing this for nothing.”

          Danny’s eyes filled with hurt as he took another step closer to me. He grabbed my arm and sighed, “I haven’t been stringing you along through all of this for nothing.”

          I couldn’t say much of anything. I laid my head on his chest as he held me close. Tears started filling my eyes but I vowed to not let them show, I couldn’t let Danny know that what he was doing was absolutely killing me inside. “Well for once, make me actually believe it.” The words that had been flowing through my mind, suddenly blurted out of my mouth.

          Danny pulls away when he hears my smart ass remark; he gives me a weird look and then sighs. “I promised you I would, and I will.”

          The only thing I knew for sure was that I never meant to count on Danny as much as I really do. I needed him to break things off with Charlie, just to show Izzy that I was making the right choice and that Danny does have it in his heart to be a great guy. I held on to him tighter, not ever wanting to let go. I prayed to God that soon, all of this would be over. I prayed that all of this would someday be a laugh but I couldn’t count on it.

What did yall think?? Im pretty sure that the next chapter will have a little bit of Danny's pov so I can let you all know how he is feeling about everything!!

I REALLY hope yall enjoyed the chapter :)

I tried getting it out as fast as I could!!

Anyways, FAN/COMMENT/VOTES

BTW im on the what hot list and I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited! So, I just wanted to thank all of you that have been commenting and voting it means so much!! Every little bit counts and I am extremely thankful!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.2K 279 31
There's a long history between Connie and Alex. They met when Alex lived in Essex before he 'took a fated trip across the ocean', and Connie moved to...
39 0 15
• Book 1 of the On Island Time Series • luke goldstein had always had a thing for ozzie blake. they've been in the same group of friends since they w...
3K 382 62
Best friends, Izzy and Em, have been star pupils at their all girls boarding school Watford High on Sydney's North Shore for years. Since joining cla...
7.6K 200 24
"If you kiss me, things will change," she says quietly and flicks her eyes up from my lips to my eyes. "What's wrong with a little change?" I whisper...