The Arrangement

By PunkRockPenguin

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, right? What happens when you wake up in Vegas married? Well, you try... More

The Arrangement
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Author Note
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Epilogue

Chapter 62

111K 3.7K 95
By PunkRockPenguin

Alright ladies and gents,  I guess my last message wasn't received.  I will update when I can, I promise.  This weekend, I got to go home for the first time in nearly 2 years and that was awesome so, I am sitting in the airport using their wifi posting and my flight is boarding so I'll edit and add on the teaser after I'm home.  I promise you're all loved I just love my family a little more.  Anywhoosers, enjoy my darlings!!! <3

Chapter 62

"Mikaela, why won't you tell me what happened between you and Trent?" My mother badgered.

"Mom, I promise, it will make sense eventually." I promised. "I can't explain it right now."

"Baby, I can see you're lonely. I just worry."

"I know. It won't last forever." I promised as my mother engulfed me in a hug.

"Did he cheat on you?"

"No."

"I know you didn't cheat."

"No," I laughed. "No, that didn't happen either."

"A lot of the papers are saying you're pregnant. You two did get married very suddenly."

"Mom, if I'd been pregnant when we got married, don't you think you'd be able to tell?" I pointed out.

"Not if something happened and you lost it." my mother consoled. "And you wouldn't tell me if you did."

I felt a pang of guilt at that. "Mom, I am not now pregnant, nor have I ever been. If that ever happens, I promise to tell you. Okay?"

My mother sighed. "A mother just worries."

"I know. We're very different people. We handle things differently. I know."

"You know I love you, right?"

"Of course, Mom! And I love you too. We just show it in different ways. I hope you never doubt that."

"I don't. But I wouldn't complain if you were going to give me some grandkids soon." Mom half-teased.

"Katie can have kids too." I pointed out.

"She's just a baby herself! How could she take care of a baby when she still expects us to feed her?"

"She's in the next room!" Katie shouted.

Mom and I both laughed. "Can't blame her for telling the truth."

"You're one to talk." Katie snapped as she came into the kitchen. "You still won't tell anyone about what happened with you and Trent."

"I will, just not right now. Besides, what does or doesn't happen in my marriage and divorce is really between Trent and me."

"What are you going to do with all that money?"

"Nothing. So far as I'm concerned it's not mine."

"Are you serious?" Katie asked, her jaw dropping.

"Completely. I didn't earn it, it's not mine."

"You're insane." Katie shook her head. "If I'd won $250 million I would definitely be going on a shopping spree. Get a fancy new car, a new wardrobe, the works. You know, the least you could do if give yourself a make-over."

I glared at Katie. "Two things, first off, there is nothing wrong with the way I look. In fact, I happen to like it. Second, I've already told you what I intend to do with that money."

"You could at least spread the love." Katie sulked.

"Katie, my marriage to Trent was never ever about money. I hope you understand that."

"Yeah, I remember you kicking and screaming as he flew us all home on his private jet."

"Because I don't believe in accepting what I haven't earned." I defended. "Why are you so fixated on this?"

"Because I think you're wasting a gift. You're such a hermit. You have a chance to make a difference and what do you do with it? You squander it!"

"Katie, it's not you in the limelight. You are not the one being chased by paparazzi. You are not the the one having your past and everything you do dissected. You're not the one that they're spreading lies about to tell magazines. Please shut up about something that you actually don't know about." I snipped. "Jeez, I come here to spend time with my family, not to be harassed. Since when are you not on my side?"

A look of hurt flashed across Katie's face. "What do you mean? Of course I'm on your side."

"Katie, I love you. I really do. But what you're talking about, that isn't being on my side. Asking what I'm going to do with money that I don't feel rightfully belongs to me in the first place? Telling me I'm squandering a position I didn't want in the first place? That's not who someone who is supporting me reacts. Those are the sort of questions the paparazzi sling at me. Do you see where I'm coming from? Because I get that you're curious, I really do. I know there's a lot of things that don't make sense to you, or Mom, or anyone else. I get it. But now isn't the time to explain myself. It will all make sense soon, I promise. But for the love of God, I need to not discuss this right now." I took a deep breath and sighed.

"Oh . . ." was all Katie had to say.

"That might be the longest rant I've heard in a long time," I looked up to see my dad smiling at me from the doorframe.

"Dinner is almost ready, if you aren't helping get out." my mother chastised. "Too many people in my kitchen. Mikaela, you're helping, you stay. You two are not, get out." Dad herded Katie out and threw me a wink over his shoulder as Mom turned to me. "You have grown and changed with this Trent. I can see it in you, you love him. If you love him, why did you leave him?"

"It's not that simple Mom." I assured her. "It's going to be okay."

"I just don't want to see you hurt. It hurts my heart." My mother shrugged before she pulled me into a hug. "You have a lot of your stubborn mother in you. But you are so much more than I ever could have been." My mother smiled at me as she pulled away. "I could never have imagined your life like this, but I'm proud of you baby."

"Thanks Mom."

Dinner was mostly peaceful and then I went back home. Once I'd gotten settled I realized I had a missed call from Katrina. I listened to her message then called her back.

"We our meeting up with Hildebrandt's lawyer tomorrow."

"What time?"

"They said ten, so we should be there by nine."

"Your office?"

"Meet me there by 8:30am."

"I'll be there. What do I need to bring?"

"Your beautiful face and dress nice."

I nodded. "Got it, any other words of wisdom?"

"Just do what you do best and don't talk to anyone." Katrina teased.

"Thanks."

"Oh and thanks for breakfast too. How do you wake up that early every morning?"

"I wasn't hung over?" I suggested. "Thanks for all that you do, Katrina."

"Mikaela, you have a lot of people on your side. Don't forget that."

"I tend to."

"Well, that's why you have Nikki. She won't ever let you forget it."

I laughed at that. "No, I couldn't leave her if I tried." I smiled at the thought. "And when I'm being an idiot she's probably the only person who can pull me back."

"One of two people."

"Two?"

"You know the other person." Katrina deadpanned. "You're smart. Now go get some rest. You'll need it tomorrow."

"Thanks Katrina. What would I do without you?"

"You'd find another attorney." Katrina teased. "But no one as good as me."

I laughed. "Good night,"

"Good night,"

I hung up and got ready for bed. It was still hard to sleep. I missed that warm comforting weight of Trent against my back. After an hour of tossing and turning I got up.

Trent,

I can imagine how well you're sleeping, probably as well as I am. I never really was a heavy sleeper before, but it's so much worse now. Every noise brings me back to consciousness. I can't get comfortable and my bed is too big for just me.

I miss you.

I miss how you made everything seem better. Even if it wasn't. Since I can't sleep tonight I thought I'd write this for you. I have to meet with the director and his attorney in a few hours, so I'll try to get some sleep.

A year ago, I never would have imagined my life would be like this. Is your cast off yet? How's pt? Hurry up and finish what we started. I miss you.

Love,
Mikaela

I closed and sealed the envelope. I missed him. I managed to get a few hours of sleep before my alarm went off and before I knew it, Katrina was driving us to meet up with the director and his attorney.

I was sitting across from my smug-looking director and his scowling attorney with a mediator at the head of the table.

Words and accusations were carelessly thrown. Katrina sat quietly and I followed suit. When everything was lain out on the table, Katrina produced the tape.

"My client has not made any false accusations, despite the slander and the attempt at blackmail your client,"

"Alleged."

"Very well, alleged blackmail, your client tried to use to force my client to line his pockets with her funds. Extortion and even borderline bribery demands."

"And I assume you have evidence Ms. Everwood?"

"Naturally." Katrina slid the tape and a tape player over to the mediator. "You're welcome to keep the copy, I've made several. As you can see the director demands funds and threatens all future cooperation between the aquarium and my client if she does not comply. A partnership that has been forged over the past several years."

The mediator listened then looked TJ Katrina. "And how did you acquire this tape?"

"I had my client's office bugged."

"So Mr. Hildebrandt didn't know he was being recorded?"

"Correct."

"You understand this is circumstantial."

"I do."

"But Mr. Aldridge, I assume you have some evidence you'd like to bring to light?"

The evidence about me was all hearsay. That being the case, the case against me for defamation of character was dropped.

With a sigh of relief I followed Katrina to her car. "See, I told you they had nothing." Katrina assured me.

"I still hate this," I admitted with a sigh. "This is ridiculous. How did my life become this nonsense?"

"You got drunk and married a millionaire and money has a tendency to bring out the worst in people."

I shrugged. "I don't think I agree with you."

"Oh?"

"I mean look at Nikki. She's pretty wealthy but she's a good person."

Katrina shrugged. "Nikki has her faults like anyone, but you've never seen her work against you. Don't get me wrong, love the girl to death, but I've seen her work."

"It is what it is."

"Well, you should probably still steer clear of the aquarium."

"I can't do this. I have too much free time. I need to work."

"Fine. I understand. Go do what you need to do. Just be on your guard and don't get caught alone, please."

"Deal." I felt giddy. I could go back to throwing myself into work.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

168K 7.7K 45
Zane Williams finds himself in an arranged marriage chosen by his overbearing mother. But when he ducks out of his own wedding due to an unexpected c...
7.9K 212 28
A small family had lost the father a year ago. The mother never found anyone else until a man shows up and takes her breath away. The daughter doesnt...
5.5K 130 14
"Where are you from, Agosti and what are you doing in Las Vegas" "I am here mainly for pleasure, Rachael" "And have you found pleasure?" "I just did...
4.4K 403 32
NEW 18 + Novella He thought he was just hooking up ... With someone random .... She thought it was fate .... Benjamin 'Ben' Hammonds gets dumped by...