For Once In My Life (Stevens...

By Sarahbeth552002

When Dana Rowland first meets Quinn Stevens, it's during the storm of a century, and his mysterious appearanc... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21 (The End)
Save the Last Dance
An Honest Kiss
A Broken Promise
All or Nothing at All
Hold You In My Arms (Stevens book 9)

Chapter 8

39.4K 2K 125
By Sarahbeth552002

"She looks like an angel." Dana heard a beautiful female voice. It was husky and warm and made her smile.

"Dana."

She felt a hand on her arm and jerked awake. "Sorry, did I fall asleep?"

"Yes, but it is a lovely afternoon for a nap." A beautiful redhead was sitting next to her.

Dana was confused about who this new person was and why she was talking to her, and it must have shown. 

"Oh, I'm sorry, I'm Cassie Stevens, Mason's wife."

Just then Quinn came up the stairs of the verandah with Bryce and a man that she recognized.

"Quinn, I was just telling Lizzy that Dana looks like an angel." Cassie jumped up and hugged Quinn. But just as quickly as she had said it, she was off on another tangent of conversation.  "Are you surprised to see us? We came down for Thanksgiving."

Quinn hugged her back with a real smile. "Yes, I am pleased to see you, and I just got word that Rainer should be here too."

"Oh good, what about Davis?" Lizzy asked from the other side of the porch.

"I haven't heard, but he's never missed one yet."

Dana hadn't even thought of Thanksgiving.  Generally, she didn't celebrate the holiday, and with the warmth of Texas, it didn't feel like fall. Just then a chair was dragged next to her, and the man that was with Quinn and Bryce plopped down in it. "I'm Mason by the way. I'm married to the redhead."

"So I guessed." Dana looked at him for the first time.  He was not as handsome as Quinn or Bryce, but he was charming and had a way that made you think he was the best looking one in the room.

"So, I hear that both my brothers are fighting over which one of them will be your white knight."

"Mason!" Elizabeth said from the doorway.

"Well its true, isn't it? Dana rode in here a true damsel in distress, and they've both jumped to her rescue." Mason turned back to her with a grin.

It was hard to be offended by the man when he grinned like that, and Dana's lips twitched. Mason wasn't going to watch what he said, and Dana was relieved. It made a nice change.

"I would go for Bryce if I were you, he's an Earl.  That would make you a lady." He whispered the last as if it were a secret.

"I already thought I was a lady, and besides, I was married to a rich man, and it didn't work out so well."

"Oh they're both rich, we all are." Mason grinned.

"Mason!" several Stevens yelled this time.

"Well it's not a secret!" he yelled back, winking at Dana who busted out laughing.

"Now Dana, I hear that awful toad of a husband of yours is on his way, and I just want to let you know that I brought my gun." He patted her arm.

Dana heard several groans from the others, and her eyes scanned the group resting on Quinn. He was not reacting just watching. "Now why on earth would you need a gun when you have that smart mouth?" Dana quipped her eyes never leaving Quinn. 

She swore she saw his lips twitch.

"Oh I like her," Cassie said jumping up from her seat and landing in Mason's lap.

Cassie must have caught her glance towards Quinn. "Let me tell you about the first time I met Quinn. I thought he was a Viking."

"Quinn, a Viking?" Lizzy snorted.

"Well it was in New York, and he was wearing a suit."

"Quinn was in a suit?" Caleb asked joining the group.

"Yes, Mason had just been attacked by a little old lady he was helping across the street..."

That night Dana crawled into her bed with a smile on her face.  She had not laughed so hard in a long time, and for the first time, she had a taste of what a family was really like.

*******

The day before Thanksgiving and the Stevens household was a very busy one.  Bertie had the day off so Lizzy, Cassie, and Dana joined Elizabeth in the kitchen to prepare for the next day's feast.

Eventually, the missing Stevenses, Davis and Rainer, arrived.  Davis came with his camera in hand, and Rainer was an overwhelming addition.

He was as charming as Mason and as handsome as Quinn and Bryce.  He was the only redheaded child in the bunch, and he was able to draw a person out before they knew what had happened, and Dana had limited her conversation with him after about five minutes. Quinn and Bryce knowing all that they did was more than enough.

The Stevens treated her as if she was one of them.  Mason teased her unmercifully, Davis took plenty of pictures, and Lizzy and Cassie gossiped with her like she was a real sister. She had even spent a quiet hour on the porch with Douglas, the patriarch of the clan, who was content to sit in silence and let the chatter wash over him.

Quinn, Bryce, and Caleb were working most of the day on the ranch, so she only had a brief glance of them at lunch, but it had been decided that everyone would go out for dinner that evening, and it took some convincing to get Dana to agree.  She had a horrible feeling that there would be trouble.

She borrowed some of Lizzy's clothes, taking care with her appearance in a way that she had not done for a long while. She had chosen a white peasant blouse that was off the shoulders and a loose long flowing skirt in a deep blue.

Lizzy had helped her pile her hair on top of her head in a loose bun with tendrils framing her face. She chose to wear no jewelry, leaving the long column of her throat bare.  The outfit made the most of her tall stature, and she looked elegant and young.

"Dana, you look lovely," Elizabeth said as she came down the stairs that evening.

"Thank you, Elizabeth, but I think I should stay here. I-"

"Nonsense, this is a family outing, and we're all going," she said brushing of Dana's concern.

Dana couldn't get over the feeling of dread that was overwhelming her.  She had felt it many times in the past, knowing it was her self-preservation instinct, and she was inclined to listen to it even if no one else was.

Elizabeth had divided everyone up, deciding who was going in which truck.  Dana was to ride with Quinn, Bryce, Caleb, and Lizzy, and she had been wedged in the front between Quinn and Bryce.

From Bryce's side, she felt nothing but the slight warmth of his body next to hers. From Quinn's side, it was electric.  She could feel the twitch of his muscles and every breath that he took.

"Something bad is about to happen," Dana said softly after they were underway.

"If you feel that strongly about it, I don't doubt you." Quinn's hands were firm on the wheel.

"Dana, you're safe with us," Lizzy said from the back.

"It's not me I'm worried about." Her eyes met Lizzy's in the mirror. If any of them were hurt on her behalf...

Bryce reached out and took her hand in his. "It will be all right." The movement was subtle, and the only one that could have noticed was Quinn.  If he saw anything in the darkness of the truck, he remained quiet about it.

They all arrived at the dance hall at the same time, piling out of the trucks.  There were a few exchanges shouted back and forth between the drivers, critiquing the others skill but it was all good-natured. 

As they entered the hall, there were greetings from all sides. The Stevenses were well known in the area and well liked.

They found a long table towards the back of the room and settled in, ordering beer and bar-b-q by the pound.  Dana was amazed at all of the food as it appeared and then disappeared just as quickly. Before she knew it, she was being pulled onto the dance floor by Caleb and then the others.  The only one that did not ask her to dance was Quinn, and she was disappointed.

Dana realized after a couple of hours that she was a little tipsy.  She was talking to Rainer about New York, and she was trying her hardest to say Poughkeepsie, and she couldn't get the word out to save her life.

"Am I drunk?" She turned to Quinn who was sitting next to her against the wall, facing her.

"Just a little." He laughed.  It was the first time she had heard him laugh in what felt like a long time and it was a beautiful sound.

"Dance with me." She looked at Quinn pleadingly.

Quinn looked at her as if he were debating the pros and cons of what could happen.

"Oh dance with her already!" Cassie was just as drunk as Dana. "Lord Quinn, you are such a tight-," Mason chose that moment to kiss his wife soundly, and Cassie was distracted enough to be led out onto the floor.

Dana was still looking at Quinn, and he gave a sigh and sat down his beer. "Fine." It was less than gracious, but Dana had won her dance, and she was too drunk to care about how.

It was a slow two-step, and as soon as he pulled her into his arms, she felt the pleasent fuzzy feeling in her head leaving her.  She focused on his warm hand at her waist and her hand in his. Quinn was barely touching her, but her body knew every movement of his as he circled her around the crowded dance floor. He kept his eyes focused over her head and didn't even look at her.

"Quinn."

"Just dance Dana." His voice sounded clipped, and she watched the muscle in his jaw jump.

Dana held back the tears.  He couldn't even stand to touch her.

As soon as the song ended, he clapped with the rest of the crowd as the band announced they were taking a break.

"Excuse me." Dana couldn't get away fast enough.  He had barely touched her, hadn't even looked at her. She rushed to the ladies room to gain her composure before she had to join the others.

Why hadn't he held her close? He had held his mother and sister closer than he had her. She stumbled into the empty bathroom p, moving into a stall. How had she fallen for someone that couldn't even touch her or look at her?  How could she feel so deeply and he felt nothing? She fought back the tears, the last thing she needed was to return to the group with a tear-stained face and swollen eyes.

After a moment she opened the stall door and froze at the sight before her.

Marcus. He had found her.

"Why do you even try?" He was leaning against the sink in what appeared to be a relaxed pose.

Dana swallowed, as she looked around her for an escape route.

"It's time to go home, the fun and games are over Dana." He reached for her, grabbing her arm.

"No." It was a whisper, but it was the first time in a long time that she had used the word with him.

"What did you say to me?"

"No." Her voice grew stronger as she yanked her arm from his grasp. "I have friends, and if I don't return to the table, they'll come and look for me."

She watched as his face went from shock at her denial to suspicion than to anger. It was amazing to watch. He didn't even try for her arm he just grabbed her hair at the root of her bun twisting hard, forcing her to bend backward into him. She had no leverage, no way to fight.

"Good, let them come.  They will send the ladies first since you're in the ladies room, and I'll have no problem dealing with them."

Dana realized that he was right, and she didn't doubt that he would hurt them.

"I suggest we leave now, quietly and without a fuss." He dragged her to the ladies room door by her hair. Just before he opened it, he put his other arm around her waist. "Why do you make me do these things, Dana?"

His arm was like a steel band, crushing her still bruised ribs, she heard a crack and gave a little whimper.

"Please?"

"Please?" He mimicked.  "We're leaving, and I'm warning you not to make a scene."

Dana thought about it.  Could she make a scene and get away?  The bathrooms were down a corridor and not viewable by the rest of the dance hall. As they exited the bathroom, they bumped into Cassie.

"Dana," Cassie stopped when she saw Dana with Marcus. She was trying to focus on the situation.

"Tell her this is your choice, tell her to tell your boyfriend that you changed your mind about the divorce." He still had his arm around her waist and was holding her tight.  He gave a little squeeze and pain shot through her side.

"C-C-Cassie, would you thank the others for me and tell them that I appreciate all they have done, but that I've changed my mind and I'll be leaving now with my husband."

Dana pleaded with Cassie with her eyes. Please believe me Cassie, or he'll hurt you too.

Cassie took in the situation then gave her brightest smile. "Well, if you're sure Dana.  I know we'll all miss you, but I'll deliver your message to Bryce."

Cassie kissed her on the cheek then moved past her to the bathroom.

"Good girl," Marcus said as he marched her to the back door at the end of the corridor. As he opened the door he pushed her through it and her heel caught on the edge of her skirt, and she went flying.

He just gave her a disgusted looked and pulled her up by her arm and started pushing her towards a car. She knew if she got in the car it was over if he didn't kill her he would lock her up as her father had done.

"No." She pushed her heels into the dirt trying her best to slow him down. "I am not going."

"You are my wife, and you're going, or I will not only punish you but your new friends as well, that Cassie looked mighty pretty.  She makes her living using that pretty face doesn't she?"

Dana went cold all over.  He would do it; if he didn't, he would find someone else who would.

"Get in the car Dana we'll discuss this when we're back home." Dana began to struggle.

"Dana?" Bryce's voice was deadly calm behind them.

Marcus spun around wrenching Dana's arm in the process. She felt and heard the pop that meant he had dislocated her shoulder.  He had done it many times before so she knew how it sounded and felt.

She didn't cry out or whimper, she just closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

When she opened them, she saw Bryce, Quinn, Caleb, and Rainer standing in front of her. They were all so handsome she thought in a disconnected way.

"Dana?" Quinn's voice followed Bryce's

"I'm fine. I've changed my mind about the divorce. I'm going home with Marcus." Her voice sounded strange to her. Was it the pain?

She looked back at Quinn. His eyes meet hers, and she felt nothing, just numbness. It was the only way she could survive.

"The ladies have already been escorted home. I think that is where you should be Dana." Quinn's eyes were willing her to fight.

She looked from one Stevens brother to the other. Together they were strong. "Marcus, will you please let go of me?" She asked in a polite voice as if she were asking him to pass the salt.

Marcus's grip tightened in warning, and she swallowed the pain. Then she took that pain and made her voice stronger. "Marcus let me go now." Her arm was useless so she couldn't jerk it out of his grasp.

Quinn took a step forward, followed by Rainer.

"The lady asked you to let her go." Quinn's voice was like steel.

Marcus realized that he would lose the battle, so he released her, but not before he jerked her arm back then pushed her away causing pain to scream through her.

She stumbled forward, but Quinn caught her just before she fell. It was a messy catch, and he hit her arm and her ribs causing her to whimper.

"I warned you, Dana." Dana caught the look of evil he shot her before the brothers stood in front of her blocking her view of Marcus.

Quinn had tucked her behind him, and she could feel the tension radiating through him.  She felt it in all of them.  They were all ready to fight for her.

"I think it is time you left now. In fact, I would advise you to leave the state since I am sure Dana will be filing an assault charge," Bryce said calmly.

"She won't." Marcus sounded sure of himself.

"I will," Dana said from behind Quinn's back.  How much easier it was to be brave while hiding behind over six foot of male.

They were silent and Dana couldn't see anything, but after a minute she heard a car start and drive away.

"Is he gone?" Dana had buried her head in Quinn's back.

"Yes." Bryce turned to look at her.

"Are you all right?"

Dana took a deep breath and felt pain shoot through her side. "I think I need a hospital."

"A hospital?" Rainer sounded confused.

"What did he do?" Caleb demanded.

"It's only a few broken ribs and a dislocated shoulder." Dana tried to downplay it.

They all looked at her in disbelief.

"I know cowboys that would be on the floor in pain with a dislocated shoulder." Caleb shook his head.

"Well, this isn't my first Rodeo." Dana couldn't resist the quip.  It must be the relief of Marcus's exit making her giddy, and if Dana hadn't been in pain, she would have laughed at their expressions.

Dana motioned to her limp arm. "Sooner rather than later would be good."

There was suddenly a flurry of activity as she was bundled into a truck between Caleb and Rainer.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.3K 581 40
When a hunky cowboy saves city-bred Adelaide McCarthy from drowning in the icy cold Bear Head Creek, she feels strangely attracted to him. Recipe for...
300K 13.6K 19
Cole Weston had lost everything he'd ever loved and for ten long years he's wandered. First as a tracker then as a bounty hunter until a small town c...
0 0 53
Dana a small town woman torn from her past meets the guy of her dreams. But what will happen when they meet. Will her demons get the best of her.
808 159 31
What if the coldest heart met with the warmest heart after several years they are separated? What if their meet and separate are because of the curse...