As Radiant As The Sun

By starsquad451

Katniss is homeless. Ever since her family has died, she has struggled to find a job and a way to get money... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
authors note
chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Editing Update!
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
¿Ideas?
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Epilogue

Chapter 2

519 19 24
By starsquad451

(The next Monday)

Sometimes I feel like I'm not good enough to be here. Even if I live in the lowest of lows, I feel like I don't deserve even what I have. My parents told me they loved me, and they would be here for me always. That always turned into never. They died a month later and left me with no food or shelter. In their will they said they were giving it all to Prim. Which I would've wanted, if she were alive. But she's not, and I asked if that meant I got all they're things, they said no. They only distribute belongings of the people to who the will says to give it to.

Here I am.

It makes since though. Prim was always their favorite. I understand why. Prim was better than me at everything. Everything except one thing. Hunting. But even she could shoot, She just wasn't as good as me.

I think about this as I make the long walk to school. I shouldn't be alive. This is what replays through my head as I approach to school, with my brown leather messenger bag slung over my shoulder, and my thin jacket. The wind is blowing as I walk through the cool November air. I walk through the doors of the heated school. The warm air hits me like a gust of wind. Really warm wind. This is the warmest I've been since august. I can tell some good, will come out of this. I walk into Haymitch's office and he looks up and see's me. He smirks, which isn't surprising. I don't think this man has a genuine smile. "I knew Miss Everdeen would show up. Everything you need to know is on this sheet of paper. Its got your schedule, locker number and your combo."

I nod. "Thank you Haymitch. I don't think you know how much this means to me."

"Yeah yeah, kid. now hurry up class starts in five minutes." I run out of his office to see if I can find locker 241 and somehow manage to get it open and get to class on time.

I got lucky. Locker 241 was right around the corner from Haymitch's office, so I quickly scramble to open my locker. I shove my coat in my locker and run down the hall to my class. I walk into Ms. Trinket's room. I scan the room looking for a good spot in the back to sit. I sit in the back corner, by the window, and just as I set my things down the bell rings. Ms. Trinket comes In and my eyes widen. She is wearing the most extravagant clothes I have ever seen. Its a bright pink dress and gloves, with high high heels and a crazy what I'm assuming (and partially hoping) is a wig. She smiles really dramatically. "Hello class! Isn't it a great morning!" She goes off about morning announcements, and I'm not really listening until Haymitch walks in.

"Good morning everyone. I just wanted to let you know that we have a new student joining us today! Katniss please stand up." I mentally slap Haymitch for doing this to me. I awkwardly stand up and smile.

"Why don't you say something about yourself?" Ms. Trinket asks me.

"Ummmm. Well I like nature, I guess. And, being outside..." I respond not so sure of my answer.

"What do you like to do outside?" She asks still smiling that awkward smile thats just too big.

"Uh I like climbing trees." An awkward silence falls over the room.

"Well thank you Katniss! We look forward to having you in class the rest of the year!" I nod. I start to sit down, until Haymitch waves me out into the hallway. I walk out and face him.

"If you ever need help, or just to get away from the class, just quietly excuse yourself and come to my office."

"Thank you Haymitch. I might take advantage of that."

He pushes me back toward the class, an just as i'm about to go in, he speaks.

"Hey." I turn around. "Make some friends"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Its official. Ms. Trinket has a boring class. I know enough English and I'm not ever going to be a writer. I'm walking down the hallway to social studies.

"Hey!" I look up to see that kid again. "Do you want a sugar cube?" I take it again and pop it in my mouth. I turn and start walking away, when He grabs my shoulder and turns me around.

"Why do you always take them?"

"What the sugar cubes?"

"Yeah."

"Because I need them"

"But why! Why are sugar cubes so important to you!?"

"I can ask the same to you." I reply with a grin.

"Seriously, why?" He says back, the stupid little smirk wiped off his face.

"I don't trust you enough to tell you." I say walking down the hall and to my locker.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day goes by pretty quickly. Most of the time I just keep my head down. No one really wants to talk to me anyways. I walk home in silence, really only because I have no one to talk to. I take a detour around the bakery so that no one will see me beeline for the woods. I go to the park to wait out that crazy mob of people that come out of the school. I relax and lay under a tree. I take out the book we have to read for english, and open it up. I have to be at The Hob at 6 so I have plenty of time to read. I look up and see its 3:30, so people are probably clearing out of the main part of the town. I think about going back up to the woods, but decide against it. Its too far of a trip to come back in two and a half hours. I open up To Kill A Mockingbird and start reading.

At around 5:30, I close the book. I'm only halfway done, and I need to finish by Wednesday. The rest of the class had two weeks, I have two days, because I started late. Ms. Trinket was worried that I wouldn't finish it in time. Something about how I'm so busy that I won't have time, but I assured her I have plenty of free time and I do. And besides, To Kill A Mockingbird is actually pretty good.

"Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember It's a sin to kill a mockingbird."

The book is wonderfully written. It's a classic.

I put the book in my bag, and walk through the marketplace to The Hob.

I walk through the doors and go back into the kitchen and let Sae know that I'm here. I go to the bathroom and change into the black shirt, pants, and apron.

"Katniss!" Sae says as I walk past. "You'll be with odd tables again. How was school?"

"It was alright. Nothing special."

"I think it will help you heal, Katniss."

"I hope so." I grab my note pad and start waiting tables. At around 6:45, I hear someone shouting in the direction of table fifteen. But it's not the shouting i'm worried about, it's what they're saying. Well, that and who 'they' are. It's that kid with the sugar cubes, and his friends. I look over and he's waving me over. I laugh and walk back into the kitchen. I hand the cook the orders and go back to table fifteen.

"You called?" I say as I approach their table. The sugar cube kid laughs, along with his three friends, but the boy from the bakery, Peeta? Was that his name? He just stares at me.

"Hey. Why do you always take his sugar cubes?" Says one of the girls with long blonde hair. "People think he's too weird, and never take 'em. Which is true, he is weird."

"Well, I don't get sweet things that often, so when I get the chance, I take them."

"Why? Are your parents really strict? Are they health nuts or something?"

I scoff. "Why would I tell you about my life if I don't even know your names." I say hinting for their names.

"Oh. Excuse my rudeness." Says the bronze haired boy. "I'm Finnick, and this is my girlfriend Annie." He says pointing to the pretty red head sitting next to him. "This is Gale and his girlfriend Madge." He says pointing to a guy that looks like me, with dark hair and grey eyes. The blonde one is Madge. "And this is Peeta. He's a loner." Peeta is still staring at me, only he looks at Finnick when he says the part about him being a loner.

"Hey, cut it out man." Peeta murmurs to Finnick. I laugh.

"I'm Katniss. Katniss Everdeen."

"What a pleasure to meet you Katniss Everdeen." I nod and laugh.

"Well, anyways, Do you want anything to drink?" They all order waters, except for Finnick, who orders a lemonade. I place their orders, and go wait other tables. But I still feel eyes on me.

I go get their drinks and bring them to table fifteen. "Waters and a lemonade. Are you ready to order?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PEETA'S POINT OF VIEW

Katniss Everdeen is the most beautiful girl I have ever seen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

KATNISS POINT OF VIEW

I bring them their food and go on my break. I sit outside with To Kill A Mockingbird, and get sucked into the book. I look up fifteen minutes later and realize I should go in and get their plates. They're just finishing when I walk in I take they're plates to the back and go back out to tell them it was nice to meet them, but I find empty chairs, and a fifty dollar tip. I smile, and wash their table tucking the fifty dollar bill inside my book.

Hey everybody! 

We should talk. I love to talk! Feel free to message me, I'm going camping this weekend, but I'll respond before I leave or on Sunday, when I get back. We can be internet friends! Anyways, Thanks so much for reading! I love you all!

~Becca

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

77.7K 3.7K 29
This is the sequel to "For Rich or For Poor." (: Don't read the description if you haven't read the first book!!! ************DESCRIPTION**********...
34.3K 1.4K 28
Time for The Hunger Games, but for children of the Capitol: THE CAPITOL GAMES! The rebels have won th...
37.1K 707 22
"My name is Peeta Mellark." "I am seventeen years old." "I am in love with Katniss Everdeen" "She betrayed me." "I was in the Hunger Games." "I've be...
1.5M 40.9K 46
What if Peeta and Katniss never teamed up? What if Katniss finds trust in the most unlikely person? When Katniss volunteers for her sister, her only...