Visionaries

By -swiftly-

"How is it that we've never met but we know each other?" "I don't care. I'm here to finish what I was sent t... More

Copyright
one
two
three
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
AUTHOR'S NOTE

four

190 5 1
By -swiftly-

// FOUR //

"Cass? Cass, darling, I have to leave for brunch with Darius. Are you coming?"

I look around the messy room with dimmed lights and no sun light because of the curtains, which is not ideal, for everything I need to throw in my purse. Keys, phone, makeup, wallet and the go-to meds I could possibly need.

"No," Cass calls out from the bathroom. She comes out in her boxer shorts and black cami putting on her left earring.

"I'm just going to relax here for a while," she continues. "I'm probably going to go back to the university anyway."

"How come?" I ask bending down to grab my phone laying on the floor by the bed. I must have knocked it off the night stand during my sleep. I get up and point at the curtains with a pleading smile to which Cass extends an arm and does her 'whatever' face.

I run to the other side of the room and I dramatically push the curtains open as if I were in a play. I fight the sudden urge to sing 'Tomorrow' from the Annie musical when the sun's rays shine at me.

I shake the childlike desires off and I turn around quickly. I grab my purse from the bed. I then slide over to the TV and I grab my hotel card beside it.

"Okay then, Cass. I'll take off."

I look at my phone to make sure I'm on time. 9h45. I still have half an hour and I'm walking so I guess I'll be early if anything.

"Be careful. Don't talk to strangers," she says as I pass in front of the bathroom. She is straightening her blond locks.

"Will do, you too. Oh, and don't go falling for teachers."

She crosses her fingers. I laugh and get out of the hotel room. I make sure, again, that I have everything that I need in my purse before I head off to the elevator.

I hum along the rhythm of the classic instrumental song "Requiem for a Dream" that has been stuck in my head all morning. I haven't even seen the movie, but somehow the violin track keeps playing in my mind.

I press on the button to go down and in almost a second, the elevator doors open.

From the elevator to the coffee shop itself, I did not cross a single person. Throughtout the whole walk, not a single person passes by me on the sidewalk. I spend the whole time alone, which I don't really mind.

Although, I'm shocked that I realized, because I was constantly so fascinated by the green life here. Everything is so much more green and clean and fresh in Lugano. I cannot wait to get my letter from FU. My parents are supposed to call me when it comes in and if I'm still here, they'll mail the letter back here which is unfortunate.

I pull open the door just as an old aged couple approaches the door as well. I keep it open for them to go inside. Even at, what I would estimate, the age of 85, they keep smiling and laughing together. They absolutely cannot keep their hands off each other. I love it. I cannot help but smile. I wish I can have that someday.

"Thank you, dear!" The woman exclaims.

"Oh, she thanked you! That's a word she has not had in her vocabulary since we got married," her husband says with a huge smirk.

She hits his arm with the hand she doesn't have locked around it.

"Oh, please. For the whole year after the wedding, you pretended every day that I was a one stand who wouldn't leave your house. You'd act like we were roomates two years after that. I am simply taking my revenge."

"Well," I start after I stopped laughing. "I think that whatever the label was during the relationship and for how long it was, you are still together despite that. The label or the paper or the rings don't matter as long as you have each other, right?"

They look at each other with eyes that still sparkle with love and I can only think that I'd be the luckiest person in the world to find something like that.

"Ain't she wise, Harold?"

"Oh, she is, Amanda! What's your name, dear?" He asks leaning in a bit and pushing his glasses back in place.

"I'm May," I respond my arm feeling bit sore from holding the door.

"It was wonderful to meet you, May," Amanda tells me.

"It's great to see youngsters with old soulds like you."

Not knowing what to say, I simply give them a gratified smile and let them in Brunch & Lunch.

I look around the surprisingly spacious place for a certain mysterious dark haired guy. I spot a head from behind, looking down. He's wearing a black Polo shirt. I bet it's Darius. As I get closer, I see his black boots and I know it's him.

"What and original name this place has," I exclaim putting my bang on the back of the chair before I sit down.

"Hi," he says putting down his cup of coffee.

"Hi," I say smoothly not knowing why I can't stop smiling.

He's smiling at me with his eyes, though. These blue gems are like laser beams. I can't help but stare, but they're eating me alive.

"So, do you know what you're going to order?" I ask him trying to unglue my eyes from his and to try to concentrate on the menu.

"Oh, I already know. I had time to intricately analyze every plate offered and list pros and cons for each and every one of them," he says, but by the end of the phrase we're both laughing and he barely coherently finishes.

"Hey, I wasn't late. I'm," I check my phone for the time. "I've already been sitting here for a while and it's only 10h20."

He clicks his tongue." We planned to meet at 9h45 and I'm always early so, I waited."

"No, we did not," I start checking my texts with him. "We planned for... 9h45," I mumble putting the phone down.

"Hey, it's okay. Just choose what you want to eat. Waiter!" He calls out politely.

"Yes," the waiter says with a slight french accent. "Are you ready to order?"

Darius orders while I keep looking.

"Yes, I'll have the breakfast club sandwich with sausage and fruit salad instead of the potatoes."

I feel kind of intimidated by his healthy choices. I want potatoes.

"And for you ma'am?" He says once he finishes scribbling down Darius' order.

I slap the menu close and hand it to him.

"I'll have the breakfast trio. Sausage for the meat and the eggs boiled, please. Thank you."

"It'll be ready soon," he says before taking off towards the kitchen.

"So, how is the hotel?"

"Good, actually. It was kind of bad luck at first, because there was only one room available and it has single bed. But it isn't bad at all. Not only is a single bed cheaper, he gave us a discount because it's not what we wanted."

"Well, that's great. At least it worked out. You know, if you were guys, you would never say that it was okay."

"What? Is it the 'NO HOMO' thing I always see everywhere on social media as comments?"

"Well, kind of," he says shaking his head and taking pieces of bread from the basket.

"It's harder for guys to be close without it being weird, you know?" He continues.

"Yeah, I guess it makes it harder the other way around too."

"What do you mean?"

"Because girls are so comfortable with each other, it makes flirting for lesbians so much harder. With guys, you realize it instantly."

"Oh, yeah! I have this unbelievable radar. During high school, I could tell if someone wanted to be my friend or more in about 5 minutes of conversation!"

"Wow, how?"

"How they talked!"

He goes on about body langues and signs or tics that people have. Just by their tone, you could tell. It's great to listen to him like this. I know we came here to go over things, but it's great not to see him miserable. Not to see him confused or hurt like how he's been everytime I saw him yesterday.

"Here is some coffee," the waiter says putting a white cup in front of me and filling it halfway once I stop him, because every place I go too thinks I drink it black.

"So," Darius starts very uncomfortable. "I met someone yesterday after I droppes you off at the university. Bald, in his thirties, tall and built with a start of a belly. Talking about you."

"No way! He came to you too?"

"Yeah. I don't know what these people are trying to do. I can't help, but think they work with my boss. This man said the same things he did about your family. You know, if we can't connect these two together there are only two things to believe."

"And what are they?"

"Either there are two people after your family or that... " He hesitates, but I already know what he's going to say. "That it's the truth."

"Yeah, I know. I don't blame you. I just hope that more framing evidence or coincidences don't show up and if they do, that they don't turn you on me."

I raise my head once I finish my phrase to see his reaction. He almost wears a look of guilt, but quickly puts on his emotional barrier once the waitress comes with both our plates. My mouth almost waters.

"Bon appétit," he says digging in. I raise my cup of coffee and he does too.

"To the truth," I say and he repeats it.

We eat in a somewhat awkward silence with occasional commentary about the taste of the food, but we both have a lot on our minds and still aren't in that place where we can easily open up. I know it's an unusual situation of trust we have, but it's still the second day. There are some barriers on my emotional range. Frequency can't touch anybody who hasn't been in a one mile radius for less than a week.

My phone starts ringing and no name flashes on the screen. The city under the number tells me it's a call from Lugano. It might be Cass calling from the hotel or the school which is unusual.

"Do you know this number?" I ask Darius showing him the screen of my phone.

"It looks familiar, but I don't know."

I take the call.

"Hello?"

Darius stares at me with precaution.

"Miss Rufener. It's nice to finally hear the voice I've heard so much about."

My eyes widen and so do Darius', probably because he can hear.

"Listen, I will make this easy for you. I have a lot of infirmation that puts you in a bad position. I also have a lot that you would want to know. Don't hang up and we all win."

"I need more details."

"I need for you to meet me in the back alley, that is five blocks from your future school. If you don't show up, alone, there will be consequences. May Rufener, believe me, this isn't a bluff. I have a certain amount of blood on my hands and those of your family living in St-Moritz can and will be amongst them soon if you don't obey. We really don't want to make them regret moving here from France."

He pauses and I still don't say a word. My eyes start to water just at the thought of them suffering because of me.

"I reckon by the silence that you are taken aback. That's good. At least you understand the gravity of the situation. I'm not the bad guy if you don't make me be. I will see you at the location I gave you in 4 hours. Don't be a minute late."

Just like that, he hangs up.

"What do we do?" I ask him still looking down at my phone.

"We meet him. Well, you will. I'll stay in hiding just as a back up."

I think he sees some doubt in my eyes because he quickly starts again throwing arguments at me. But really, I want to do this. I was expecting to have to convince him.

"May, you have to do this to get at least some answers even if what he says might be a lie. We need to know everything. We'll kniw where he stands. I'll be there as protection. I've done the fighting before, I can help you."

"I had no objections, Darius. I'm going to meet him this afternoon."

"Oh," he says surprised. "Okay, then."

A tense silence takes over our atmosphere and I do not know if I should say something. We've both finished our food so we don't have an excuse to our silence.

"Listen, May," he says breaking the silence. He puts his his elbows on the table and actually looks at me. "I need to go practice. I have a big game tomorrow. I'll walk you back. Are you going to the university or the hotel?"

"I don't know," I start, grabbing my bag from behind me. "Maybe, I'll..."

"Hey," he interrupts. "Do you want to come with me? I'm practicing alone so you could just sit around and enjoy the weather or you know, help out?"

I think about it for a few seconds still mesmerized by what is the most mundane scenery: a cup of coffee before me. I stare at it and think. I really like Darius, but I'm afraid of the possibility of this being more than a friendship. A simple outing is harmless, but not meaningless. I'm afraid of something bigger, but even more afraid of not seizing a great opurtunity at friendship when I see one. I don't need to make it complicated. I can't afford to make this complicated.

"Yeah, of course. With all of the stress I had yesterday, I think it's time to let loose."

His smile widens and for the first time, I see a real one, showing all his teeth.

I put down a ten and a five on the table. He looks at me, wearing a look that says 'what the hell are you doing?'. I shrug and leave and he doesn't insist on protecting his manhood and chivalry, like so many guys believe paying does, so he adds the same amount, which will make a hell of the tip, and continues behind me.

The walk to the park goes by fast. We basically take in all the scenery and talk about everything we see. Once we aren't limited to a single location, we have a alot ti talk about. The weather is perfect and I hate that I feel like I'm in a movie. The atmosphere, the conversation and Darius, it all seems surreal, like I'm going to lose it soon.

I try to keep my mind off it.

"Okay, I'll run and get my stuff from the locker rooms and I'll be back by the time you make it to the field."

"I'll walk super slowly then."

He starts running off. I walk behind, slowly like I said I would, humming along to a ballade we heard in B & L.

Once I get to the field, the wet grass soaks up my slip on sneakers and I just run to the bench and sit on it, cross-legged. Darius comes running out of the locker room behind me, one as big as a shack, wearing his shorts and his cleats.

"Ready?" He asks teasing me. I raise an eyebrow and give him a look that reads all kinds of fierce. I pull my hair up in a ponytail and take the ball from his hands. I quickly throw it in front of me and start running with it.

He obviously did beat me. Darius is really good and I don't mean beat-me-good, I mean full scale, professional league good. Although it was slightly embarassing, the past two hours passed by in a blink of an eye, even with all the falling and especially with the laughs.

"Do you want to freshen up?" I ask him putting my hair down again and fixing my clothes. "You could come take a shower at the hotel and we can leave from there. It's closer than your place I bet."

He just nods and grabs his bag before heading towards the hotel, in front of me. We spend the extra hour we have cleaning up and watching ridiculous reality TV.

"It's 3h30, May. It's time to go."

I grab my bag and get ready for the inevitable.

***

Darkness covers the alley despite the shinung sun a few metres away. The way the buildings tower around them and act as walls and a roof make this situation more eerie for me.

Darius stayed behind, on the lit street. The plan was that if I stopped in front of the alley way and didn't immediately enter, the man was already waiting so Darius had to hide outside. If not, we had time to find him a closer hiding place.

I walk down to the far end of the alley, passing by dumpsters and a wandering cat that probably hasn't gotten its shots.

"Miss, Rufener," he calls out with a slight German accent. "We've been waiting. It's 3h59. It was very risky of you to come at this time, so close to the deadline. I like a woman who has guts."

I don't say a word and continue towards him and his two, silently standing, all in black, bodyguards. Once I'm an arm's distance away from him, I stop in my tracks.

"You have to leave Darius," he continues with a fierce look. I stare at his appearance. Short brown hair, big lips, scars all over his arms and neck, green eyes and a goatee.

"Why does this concern everyone? How do you all know him, and me, and why are you intervening in our lives?"

"You have interrupted the course of his life, May."

I stare at him and out of uncomfort, I clutch on my bag a little harder.

"He was perfectly okay being the evil he was, but now, because of your strenght, you have become a token of admiration for him. He has given you a chance and because of that, he has to become a murderer as well."

"Are you the man he works for?"

I stare at him. He isn't the bald man who came to talk to us before, but he is familiar.

"Why would I give you that information?"

"Because I'm risking a lot to come here and to talk to you. If you want me to trust you, you need to earn it. I need the truth."

"Well, well. He was right. You have a mouth on you, one that could be used for change. Fine, I'll tell you some things."

He was right? 'He' must be the man who came to talk to Darius and I.

"I work with the man who came to see you and Darius. Both times you refused to cooperate and to listen to us. I am here to tell you that I know what Darius Elmer is capable of and that he is using you. He doesn't have the reoccurring dreams. It's all a trick to get you to trust him."

"How do you know all of this? Are you his boss or not?"

"Let's just say that I am after him and that I am trying to protect people from his skills. Not just you. Whether I am also his boss or not, doesn't matter."

"If you want him, why didn't you have me lure him to you?"

"You're right. I could have done that. But I want him at the right time and the right place. I need you to help me now. But fine, don't trust me. It's okay, for now. But I will change your mind. I want you to meet one of my men tomorrow. I will send you the details."

I don't say anything. I can only think of the possibility of Darius hearing all of this from where he is. I hope he's hiding well. They could have people looking from above.

"So, do you agree?"

"The time has to be reasonable. You know that I have university things to get to."

"Of course. Any time I will want to meet you, will be in the afternoon or at night. Have a good evening, May Rufener."

I fake a slight smile before I turn around and lead myself out of the alley. I continue walking. I don't stop for Darius because I know that he is familiar with these things and he will join me when he thinks it's smart to do so.

I stop a block away and call for a cab. Once I slide in, I reach out to close the door when Darius comes running and jumps in the car. I close the door quickly.

"Franklin University, please."

The cab driver takes off and for a second, the meter is all I can stare at.

"What are you thinking?" He asks still trying to catch his breath.

"That my trust in you better not be in vain. If this come to bite me back in the ass, I... "

"Hey, he interrupts putting a hand on my knee. "I'm telling you the truth."

I stare at him and nod. I believe him and I want to believe him, but I am scared. I put my hand on his.

"You better be, Darius."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

81 0 7
Five friends-seperated into five different bunkers during a terrorist attackon their beloved sleepaway camp. Dealing with the terror in their own way...
Heart's Choice By SG Gardner

Mystery / Thriller

28.8K 4.7K 39
Finally free of the possessions that plagued him since childhood, Carlos moves to Spring Lakes and opens his own auto-garage. But even a life free of...
481 24 32
[My NaNoWriMo 2015 and Camp NaNoWriMo 2016 Project!] Everyone is playing a game. Heartless, foreign Ada is building up a store of memories by breaki...
3.5K 665 51
A dystopian young adult novel involving romance, secret experiments on human subjects, and a group of teenagers' will to survive. Reader Comments: "...