Lunatics

OctavioCariello द्वारा

Many years after the Third World War, three young men are up to their necks in a case of a stolen flashdisc t... अधिक

Part One · Epigraph
Lunatics · Chap 001 · Mirrored Eyes / Chap 002 · Departure
Lunatics · Chap 003 · Worlds Apart
Lunatics · Chap 004 · Heavy rain over the Drizzle City
Lunatics · Chap 005 · By the Mediterranean
Lunatics · Chap 006 · The Dream
Lunatics · Chap 007 · Quick interlude with the sound of thunders
Lunatics · Chap 008 · Unsolicited post and bad news
Lunatics · Chap 009 · Not the commonest of days
Lunatics · Chap 010 · Sowing the seeds of trouble
Lunatics · Chap 011 · Just business
Lunatics · Chap 012 · Lack of luck
Lunatics · Chap 013 · Leaving home
Lunatics · Chap 014 · Sporthunt
Lunatics · Chap 015 · Dante's secular comedy
Lunatics · Chap 016 · Far from paradise
Lunatics · Chap 017 · The man from the Moon
Lunatics · Chap 018 · Childhood among ruins
Lunatics · Chap 019 · Bon jour
Lunatics · Chap 020 · Heavy duty
Lunatics · Chap 021 · Official lies
Lunatics · Chap 022 · Wish upon the Moon
Lunatics · Chap 023 · Hidden messages
Lunatics · Chap 024 · Mishap
Lunatics · Chap 025 · The enemy's lair
Lunatics · Chap 026 · Codes and puzzles
Part Two · Epigraph / Chap 028 · Memories of the future
Lunatics · Chap 029 · Precise flowers and imperfect colours
Lunatics · Chap 030 · You've been followed
Lunatics · Chap 031 · Beauty and the fugitive
Lunatics · Chap 032 · The actress and the colonel
Lunatics · Chap 033 · Tender kiss
Lunatics · Chap 034 · Friends last conversation
Lunatics · Chap 035 · Lilica's will and Chico Manoel's call
Lunatics · Chap 036 · A stroll in hell
Lunatics · Chap 037 · The quick grey cat jumps over the lively lady
Lunatics · Chap 038 · Breeds of dissimilar seeds?
Lunatics · Chap 039 · Paying a visit to the absent
Lunatics · Chap 040 · What's love got to do with it?
Lunatics · Chap 041 · The calm before the storm
Lunatics · Chap 042 · Waste of Time
Lunatics · Chap 043 · The joy before the fall
Lunatics · Chap 044 · Reads
Lunatics · Chap 045 · Then and now
Lunatics · Chap 046 · Almost meetings
Lunatics · Chap 047 · Unpainted ifs
Lunatics · Chap 048 · Painful thens
Lunatics · Chap 049 · Dreamlike elses
Lunatics · Chap 050 · Fall from grace
Lunatics · Chap 051 · The power of temptations
Lunatics · Chap 052 · Paradise lost
Part Three · Epigraph / Chap 053 · Ice in the Eyes
Lunatics · Chap 054 · By the lake and forever
Lunatics · Chap 055 · Losses and gains
Lunatics · Chap 056 · Talking dead
Lunatics · Chap 057 · Looking back, moving forward
Lunatics · Chap 058 · Promises kept and new ones made
Lunatics · Chap 059 · Tears like rain
Lunatics · Chap 060 · Living on the ground
Lunatics · Chap 061 · Moulting time
Lunatics · Chap 62 · Ashes

Lunatics · Chap 027 · Fiasco

57 0 1
OctavioCariello द्वारा

27 · Fiasco

MARCUS HAD managed to get an Aster to take them downtown to interrogate the employees at the Turkish restaurant. It was fruitless. Nobody admitted to know the two young men in the photographs and no delivery data were liberated without a warrant.

Monteiro, Marcus and Baraldi were at the Manilla Café near the FID central offices trying to drink their sorrows off—they all shared the sinking feeling they would be better off handling their personal chores. Marcus answered his communicator. It was nine to nine in the morning of the third day of March, 2218, and Trali was calling.

“Where’s everybody?”

“Good morning to you too, Trali. We’re at the Manilla. Get down and join us.”

“Where have you been?”

Marcus ignored his question and cut the call. They had been to The Maiden too, but the security did not allow them to check for fingerprints. Their investigation was short on warrants. The owners of the bar must have had powerful friends; Baraldi’s request to the tribunal had been solemnly denied.

Marcus was reading a popular newspaper he had picked from the counter. There were news on many crime scenes, sports, considerations on financial indexes, weather forecast predicting heavy storms; nothing on the colonization of Mars. Nothing on Aznar Reutt’s visit and the weapons deal. Not even a line about the accident at The Maiden.

There was an impressive double page tribute to Elisangela Mussume, illustrated with many pictures of the actress who had been the talk of town for many decades. The burial would take place in the Pampas. His curiosity took him to the horoscope section—he had never had interest about it before the previous night when he accidentally read the predictions for his sign at the Sibilla.

The one in the paper he was reading was almost hilarious: “Alignment of the planets, under the influence of the constellation of Libra, makes this the perfect day to catch up on personal projects. Ponder before doing anything or taking any important decision. Show your true self and get the respect of others; true friendship and comradery will follow. Today’s colour: red. Number: 3. Keyword: the search.”

Marcus took the rest of his cappuccino and Trali entered the Café.

“A party of your own? And you planned to let me out?”

Nobody answered him and he did not care. He took a seat and slapped the top of the table.

“Then?”

Baraldi pulled a dish with half a sandwich. He took it and bit it with a smile. He finished it with three more bites. Baraldi’s new communicator buzzed and he received the call. One of the beautiful girls from the commsec was shown with a serious expression.

“Shoot!”

“Francisco Manoel Francisco has just used his IDCard!”

“Where?!”

Everyone was excited.

“The post office at Suzano Airport.”

Marcus’ heart seemed to explode. He verified the time. It was sixteen after nine.

“We’re on it!”

“A 19 team will be sent as backup.”

Baraldi cut the call and picked some blue pills from one of his pockets. He handed one to each of his colleagues.

“Something to keep you up!”

They took the pills, paid the bill and left the Café. Their transporter was parked nearby. Walking up to the Aster, Marcus felt the fatigue vanish. He did not know whether for his personal concerns or for the drug he had taken.

The sun was shining bright but puddles of water were scattered all around over the pavement and the sidewalks.

When they were all inside the flyer, Baraldi excitedly spoke to Marcus.

“Let’s get outta here, huh! Show us what you got, boy!”

Marcus pressed the manacles and the turbines pushed the Aster among the tall buildings. The transporter whirred at full throttle towards the Alphaville’s main airport. The pilot could not think of anything but Satine. He heard no other sound but the one of his thumping heart.

It seemed eons had passed. The approaching glassy building of the airport was an astounding vision. The Aster landed at precisely twenty one after nine. Monteiro was almost white and Trali was enraged.

“Are you crazy? We made it in five minutes! Did you want to kill us all?”

Marcus ignored them all and ran to the building. Baraldi followed him. A traffic guard held Marcus’ arm.

“You can’t park there!”

Marcus tried to get rid of the crack but the lad was strong as a bull.

“Let go!”

“You can’t leave your Aster there!”

Baraldi grabbed the crack by the neck and Marcus was released. Baraldi dropped the young man who seemed to be in pain. He coughed.

“I’ll have this shit towed!”

Baraldi sounded menacing, checked his badge and poked  his chest.

“If you touch this vehicle, you’re a dead man, Parkas?!”

Parkas gagged.

“You can’t p-park there...”

“Use your planitronic and issue a fine, but DO-NOT-TOUCH-THIS-VEHICLE, huh?!”

They turn their backs on the guard and ran to the airport. Baraldi spoke sarcastically.

“What an appropriate name, huh?”

Trali’s laugh stopped when he saw the crowd surrounding Aznar Reutt blocking the main entrance. Marcus recognized Lisandra from the I Team. Baraldi screamed.

“What’re waiting for? Let’s take the tube entrance!”

A group of 19s approached. Their leader introduced himself while running beside Baraldi.

“Agent Baraldi? I’m sergeant Miguez.”

“Welcome!”

They got inside the building through the tube access. Marcus dashed among the people who were walking the opposite way, trying to reach the tube station. He scrambled a youn man wearing a beige jacket, a hat and a pair of dark shades. He looked distracted at the man, smiled and said automatically.

Pardonne-moi!”

The group gained the main hall and entered the post office, holding their guns.

Some co-workers were trying to calm Satine down who was having an attack, sobbing and crying her heart out. They had a shock when discovered themselves as targets of 19 officers and federal agents.

Satine recognized Marcus and jumped off her chair. He sheathed his gun and held his ugly fiancée. She did not stop murmuring.

“It was terrible… Terrible…”

Trali took the leaflets from over the screen that blinked with the official warning and shrieked.

“Fuck!”

Baraldi seemed lost and Monteiro called the central to report the escape. Miguez was precise in orienting his men to avoid the crowd of curious people to enter the office.

Marcus spoke in a low tone.

“It’s ok, now. It’s ok, dear. Du calme.”

His own heart was beating fast and he spoke as much to the mother of his child as to himself; Marcus Mondrian was trying to make some sense on all that lack of luck. He tried to convince himself he was not furiously angry at Francisco Manoel Francisco.

Ibrahim Mousmée was on the Prata Air flight 328, taking him to the Pampas to attend the services for Elisangela Mussume, comfortably reading an article in Whispers magazine where the author exposed details of a supposed colonization of Mars.

Chico Manoel was on the tube that was quickly distancing him from the airport, going downtown with his new identity of Andrea Chiunque, carrying a knapsack with a book on the allegedly presence of men on the fourth planet.

Marcus Mondrian held his sobbing fiancée, ignoring he was standing at no more than a hundred yards from the disc filled with official data that proved the red planet had been occupied for years—a flashdisc he and his team so desperately wanted to have to help his government shamelessly deny the truth.

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

79.4K 4.2K 34
its a manan fan fiction its story of love birds who were separated due to dire consequences . what was stored in future when they come to know that...
Hybrid: The Awakening Iceblue[ on Hiatus] द्वारा

कल्पित विज्ञान

427 11 30
Nobody expects something supernatural to happen to them. Those kind of things only happened in comics. Fairy Tales. Unrealistic dreams that you'd fal...
9.5M 309K 70
Wattpad Creator! Happy and proud. HIM: Staying the night? Not my thing. Hearts and flowers? Boring. Falling in love? Not anytime soon. Settling down...
1.5K 129 35
in a world where all supernaturals live peaceful together. from lycans to elves. they exist. a thousand years ago there was a war that lead to the ex...