Running on the Beach at Night

By akslate

Samantha "Sam" Smith grew in a small town in Martha's Vineyard, called Oak Bluff. Sam never drew out side th... More

Running on the Beach at Night
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 2)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 3)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 4)
Running on the Beach at night (Chapter 5)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 6)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 7)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 8)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 8 Continued)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 9)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 10)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 11)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 12)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 13)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 14)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 15)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 16)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 17)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 18)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 18 continued)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 19)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 21)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 22)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 23)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 24)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 25)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 26)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 27)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 28)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 29)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 30)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 31)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 32)
Running on the Beach at Night (Chapter 33)
Running on the Beach at Night (Epilogue)

Running on the beach at Night (Chapter 20)

21.1K 279 21
By akslate

Chapter 20-COMMENT/FAN/VOTE!

RECAP

A couple of minutes passed before I decided getting up and going to the kitchen to get a drink. My mouth was extremely dry. I walked slowly into the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water, then walked over to the huge window. Everything was so beautiful outside, and the whole city was still completely lit up. Could I actually see myself living here?

          My thoughts were interrupted though, when I hear Grant stomping in the kitching arguing with Cannon. “There is nothing to be jealous over, we had dinner.”

          Cannon followed him into the kitchen pushing him up against the counter, “I never said I was jealous, Im just waiting for you to admit that you feel the same way about me.” Cannon laughs and smiles at Grant, “The way you ignore me, is sexy. I miss you Grant. Please come home.”

          My guess was that they didn’t see me when I walked in. My mouth dropped as I heard Cannon tell Grant that he missed him. What the hell? Was Grant….Gay?

          I accidently dropped the water bottle out of shock and they both snapped their heads up to me. I watch Grant push Cannon away from him, and his face filled with embarressment.

          For once, we were all three speechless.

CHAPTER 20

          I don’t even think speechless was the word for it. I had never thought that Grant would be into…Guys. The fact just blew my mind. Had Grant always been gay? I was totally okay with the fact of Grant being homosexual, but what about when he tried and tried to get into bed with me? What was that all about??

          Grant was hott, and always had girls checking him out. There was no way he could be gay. I had to be missing something.

          I stood there for moments with my mouth wide open. Grant moved away from Cannon and walked towards me quickly.

          “Samantha, this isn't what it looks like.” Grant says quickly. The room was dark and  I could hardly see the expression on his face.

          So, I moved as well. I walked quickly towards the hall to my room. It was pretty obvious that I was in the wrong place, at the wrong time. Just like always.

          “I think, I am interrupting something.” Which we all knew I wasn’t, since they had walked in here after me, but I had to remove myself from the situation. I wasn’t exactly sure how to act.

          I darted towards my room slamming the door shut. I paced the floors for a few minutes.

          Grant was gay.

          It was totally okay. Gay people were just like everyone else in the world, they just had different… attractions. I mean, whatever  floated Grants boat was fine with me, but why didn’t he tell me from the beginning? It would have saved all three of us from embarrassment.

          I hear the door knob turning as I still paced the floor. I turned quickly to see who it was, and I saw Grant. Come to think of it, how could I have not known he was going for the other team? The way he stood in the door way with his arms crossed, he way he could act perfectly like my best friend all the reasons totally screamed homosexual.  He stood in the door way for a couple of seconds before I nodded for him to come inside.

          “Samantha…” Grants voice trailed off as he got closer, “Uhh, I, uh think we need to talk about what you just saw.”

          My eyes widened, as the images flashed through my mind again. Yeah, we probably should. So I walked a couple of steps towards him and we both plopped down on the bed.

          “I don’t know how to say this….” Grant chuckled nervously, and looks over at me.

          “You and Cannon are lovers.” I looked back at him, and forced out a smile.

          “Yeah…” Grant pauses, “Well, not exactly.”

          My expression soon changes from a smile, to a confused face. What in the hell did he call it??

          Grant laughs, and finally relaxes on the bed. “Well, I haven’t always been this way.” He explained, “Cannon and I were just regular roommates, bestfriends actually. Until I found out he was… You know.”

          I listened to him carefully, waiting for him to actually spit out what he was trying to say. So I nodded, “Until you found out he way gay, go on.” I repeated and finished his sentence for him.

          Grant cringes at the word ‘gay.’ I laugh nervously as he goes on, “Yes until I found out that, then everything changed. I would come home and he would be flirting and doing nice things for me.” Grants laughs as if he was talking crazy bull shit. “Then, about a month and a half ago, we both got drunk on night, and he kissed me.”

          Grant stops there, and starts breathing harder. “I mean trust me, before this happened, I had no question of whether I was gay or not. I was strictly for the girls. Things changed though when it happened. I freaked out when it happened though and I left. I didn’t want to have anything to do with Cannon, but the longer I was gone the more I missed him.”

          I stayed quiet as he paused and looked at me, “That’s when you came along, and I thought… I thought that I could just push it in the back of my mind when you came along. I thought that I could fill all my time up with you and forget about him. Like it never happened.”

          Damn, so I guess I wasn’t the only one using someone to get over another someone. Grant had been using me as well, to try and forget about Cannon. I suddenly, didn’t feel so bad about it anymore.

          “Samantha, I feel so bad about this. I should have never treated you like that.” Grant eyes looked at me sadly, and hurt. “Now that I am home, I don’t want to leave him.”

          I looked over at Grant and suddenly giggled, “You feel bad about what? Being gay? That is nothing you should feel bad about.”

          Grant leaned over and put his head in his hands, “I feel bad about not saying anything, and yes I feel bad about having feelings towards Cannon. I tried to ignore them, I just couldn’t.” He added.

          It had never occurred to me that Grant was gay, yes I had thought that Cannon could possibly be gay, but never Grant. The more I think about Grant being gay, the more it doesn’t bother me. So what, Grant was attracted to guys, he couldn’t help it.

          “Look Grant, there is nothing to be ashamed of. Its whatever floats your boat, and no one Else's opinion.” I slide my hand over his back and pulled him closer to me. I was telling the truth, the news was wildy shocking but it wasn’t unbelievable. Lots of people were going the other way these days. It wasn’t that crazy.

          Maybe, I will play with the same team. I sure cant seem to get a good guy, maybe I could find a good girl.

          I looked around for a moment and thought, and then shook my head. I am strictly dickly, as Izzy would say. And I wasn’t even that. I liked having sex with Danny but it wasn’t something that I would start doing all the time. It just made everything complicated. And honestly, I don’t think I could ever feel for someone like I do Danny. When I was around him, he made everything feel right.

          “I just cant be, my family is against that kind of stuff.” Grant looked up at me finally and tears streamed down his face.

          “Your worried about what your family will think?” I asked, that was reasonable. Family is supposed to love unconditionally though, it shouldn’t matter if your gay, straight, or both! “Grant, your family should love you unconditionally, and it shouldn’t matter. Give them a little credit.”

          Grant shook his head reluctantly, “No, I will never tell them if things work out between Cannon and I. I couldn’t break my mother’s heart like that.”

          I smile at Grant and easily wipe the tears streaming from his face, “Well, its your choice but I don’t think it would be as bad as you think.”

          Grant nods and looks over to me, “Thanks for listening to what I had to say; but please keep this to yourself.”

          “You secret is safe with me.” I rose my pinky up to his, and they locked together. “Pinky promise. Now, go get your man!” I giggled as I pushed him off the bed.

          My heart ached for Grant as I saw him slowly get off the bed and walk towards the door. I felt so bad for him, and his situation. The whole keeping it from his parents situation.  It was just a hard choice to make. I knew things would get better for him though, it was just a matter of time.

          I laid back on the bed and thought about Cannon and Grant. It still kind of blew my mind that they were lovers. I turn on my side facing the wall, Izzy had even found someone. Kameron was traveling all the way from New Jersey to visit her. Now, Grant even had someone?

          I would be lying if I said I wasn’t jealous, of both of them. I was insanely jealous that they both had someone to treat them right. Maybe that’s what I was doing wrong, Izzy and Grant both weren’t looking for anything. Izzy went along acting like every day was her last and Grant just was relaxed about everything.

          It wasn’t that I was looking a chasing Danny. He kind of fell into my lap, the first night we ever hung out.  I finally closed my eyes, trying to shut the thoughts out but it wasn’t so easy. I thought about the phone call with Izzy, and how Danny was listening while we talked. I wonder what he thought about my proposition?

          I finally had gotten the urge to fall asleep, so I turned over on my side and squeezed my eyes shut. I tossed and turned for hours before I finally drifted off into a deep sleep.

          The next morning I woke up before Cannon and Grant both. I guess it was probably because I had forgotten to close the blinds to the huge window. I laid there for a moment trying to fall back asleep before getting up for good but I couldn’t.  So, I finally rolled off the bed and went into the kitchen.

          I walked behind the bar and started a pot of coffee. I knew I would need a good amount of coffee before the plane ride home. The plane ride had totally slipped my mind, I was going home. My mind rattled at the thought, more than likely see Danny and Charlie tonight.

          My thoughts were suddenly interrupted by Cannon. I looked up and smiled cheerfully at him, “Good morning.”

          “Morning, I knew I smelt fresh coffee.” Cannon took in a deep breath and let it out. “I love the smell of coffee after a long night.”

          I looked over at Cannon, he seemed actually cheerful today like he was actually in a good mood. Had something happened with Grant and him last night?  Chills ran up my back at the thought, I quickly look away from him and blush.

          “So, what you saw last night..” Cannon pauses, and looks over at me while pouring two cups of coffee.  He almost sounded like he was unsure of what to say.

          I quickly held my hand up, “I don’t have a problem with it, I think its great that you guys have feelings for each other.” I finally look up at him and smile, “No need to explain anything.”

          Cannon lets out a deep breath that he must have been holding and he smiles while pushing the cup of coffee over to me, “I’m glad you understand.”

          I gazed straight towards out of the huge bay window. I would have never been the type to not understand. Maybe that wasn’t as awkward as I thought It was going to be. Well, even if I couldn’t find the right guy, I knew I would soon have two gay best friends.

          I unknowingly laugh out loud, and I look over to Cannon who was staring down at me looking weird. “I'm happy for y'all.”

          “Well, I kind of wanted to thank you. I don’t think Grant would have ever looked at things from both sides if you hadn’t spoken to him about everything, and told him that its okay.”

          “Your welcome.” I looked over at Cannon once more, giving him a sweet smile. I was happy at the fact that I could help someone be happy and get what they wanted. I owed Grant everything I could possibly give him, after everything he had done for me. “How about some breakfast?”

          Cannon’s head turned towards me, “You mean like, a homecooked breakfast??” He smiled widly and nodded.

          What was with that? I looked at him oddly and nodded, “Well yes that’s what I was talking about.”

          “God, yes girl.” He shouted with excitement, I had never seen someone get so excited over breakfast. “I haven’t had a homecooked meal in.. I don’t even know how long!”

          I laughed, as I turned and grabbed all the things I needed out of the fridge. I felt at home here, like I was welcome to do anything I pleased. I started cooking the eggs and bacon while Cannon leaned back in the bar stool and watched from the other side.

          “What in the hell is all the commotion in here?” Grant walked out of Cannon’s room and looked at Cannon and I both.

          Cannon immediately looked back at Grant and his face lit up at the site. It made my heart do some sort of fluttering thing. I smile at them, as the look at each other. I also smiled at the fact that, Grant had walked out of Cannon’s room.

          Wow, things had happened fast! I guess they had been building up for a while now.

          I blush a little bit, thinking about the night Danny and I had worked through everything and were finally together for the second time. It was perfect, I sensed that everything had been perfect for Grant and Cannon both last night since they were both glowing.

          With guys like these, it was really hard to be bitter about love. Or anything for that matter. They were best friends, and lovers.

          “So, Samantha.” Cannon looks at me seriously while loading his dish into the dishwasher, “I think you should just move here.” He paused for a moment, “And cook for Grant and I everyday.”

          I laughed, “Now, why would I do that?” Come to think about it, Cannon and Grant both inhaled their food like they hadn’t eaten a full home cooked meal in years. I almost felt sorry for the poor boys.

          “Because you are an amazing cook, and all we ever eat is ramon noodles and canned speghettio’s!”

          I felt myself gag at the thought of those every day, I could never force myself to eat that.  “That’s disgusting.”

          “Don’t worry Cannon, we will have a full-time chef when she decides to move here when summer is over!” Grant added as he laughed. He looked over at me seriously and moved his head to the side and winked.

          “Might.” I laughed with Grant and playfully nudged him, “You might have a full-time cook, but don’t get your hopes up boys. Ill have to teach you sometime!”

          I looked back at Cannon and Grant, they were both looking at each other, cringing at the thought of me teaching them to cook their own meals.

          After breakfast, I went back to my room to pack my bags to go home. The trip had been extremely successful, but I still had a lot of deciding to do. Nothing could ever just be easy, could it?

*************************************************************************

          A couple of hours passed when Grant and I finally headed towards the airport to head back to the Vineyard.  This time, our flight seemed like it was a lot shorter than the first. It must have been because I wasn’t as scared as the first time. So, the trip home was quick and I was so happy to see the ferry.

          I felt bad for Grant, who had to take the trip with me again, but he did it without protest. He wanted to just stay at home with Cannon, but he had luggage at the Inn still that he hadn’t brought with him because he wasn’t sure how going home would go. Much to this surprise, he left with everything being better than ever.

          We were finally on the ferry, riding back towards Oak Bluff when Grant sat me down on the bench. The sun beat down on our skin, and the wind hit our faces hard. “Thanks so much for talking to me last night. You totally changed my perspective about everything.” He grabbed my hand and squeezed it hard.  “You will find a great guy one day Sam, you deserve the best.”

          Tears almost swelled up in my eyes, but I vowed myself not to cry. I wouldn’t ruin Grants happy moment. I started to talk, but before I could get the words out I heard my name being called from a distance.

          “Samantha?” I look past Grant, to a tall redheaded figure that was walking towards me.

          Charlie.

          Just my luck. What a great welcome home gift.

          She walked towards Grant and I waving and smiling. It was almost like she had forgotten that she had a feeling that Danny was having an affair with me. Her long legs strode to us quickly and she sat down right beside me. “Did you hear the news?”

          Charlie looked over at me and smiled big, like she was my best friends. What the hell was up with her?

          “We bumped the wedding up a couple of months!” Charlie smiled excitedly, “We will be married at the end of the Summer. We just wanted to have a big wedding here, since its so beautiful here. And well, we decided it was best for Danny to go back to medical school. We knew he would be too busy during the year to be worried about the wedding.”

          I was speechless. I wanted to jump on top of her and pull every inch of hair off of her pretty little head, but that would scream ‘im jealous of you, bitch.’ I did the only thing I could think of, I smiled, “That’s great Charlie.”

          “Yes! Oh! And guess what else?”

          I was still wandering why, she was acting like my best friend. She wasn’t even close to anything that you would call a friend.  So, I looked up at her and shrugged my shoulders.

          “The wedding will take place at the Inn. I saw it this weekend and thought it would just be the perfect place.” She look at Grant and I with a smile on her face waiting for us to smile back.

          All of the sudden, Charlie gets up and looks around the corner. “Danny darling, come see who it is!”

          I guess I was squeezing Grants hand pretty hard, because he leaned over to me and kissed me on my temple. “Calm down, its okay.” He whispered.

          I couldn’t take anymore, they were getting married at the Inn. How could he agree to such a thing. He was such a fucking ass hole!

          My heart sunk to the bottom of my stomach as Danny turned the corner, looking at me like he had seen a ghost. “Hey, Sam.” He said quickly glancing at mine and Grant’s hands.  Danny looked at all three of us uncomfortably.

          Charlie explained how she had been telling us about bumping the wedding closer. Danny’s face lost all expression and color as she explained this.

          I look over at him and wave lightly. At that moment, I just wanted to scream that Grant and I weren’t a thing, and he had a boyfriend. That wasn’t possible.

          “Well, I just wanted to apologize. I don’t even know what I was thinking, that Danny could ever have an affair with a girl like you!” For a moment Charlie laughed, but then realized she was the only one that thought it was funny.  She looked me over with a smug look, like she was completely satisfied with herself.

          Danny’s head snapped towards Charlie, “What the hell Charlie?” He growled angrily.

          I blinked my tears away, as I forced a smile onto my face. She was right, a girl like me could never get a guy like Danny. I would be strong though, “Your right, only a girl with as little class as you would ever be able to have him.” I stood from the bench, and noticed we were just pulling up to the dock. I pulled Grant with me between Danny and Charlie, “Excuse me. Oh and Danny?” I looked back at both of them.

          Danny looked at me with hope full in his face, “Yeah?”

          “Congratulations.” I walked away just like that, leaving them both. I heard them bickering as walked away but didn’t bother to listen.

          I cried my eyes out as we talked off of the ferry. Everything was in place now, Danny and Charlie would be married by the end of the summer and I would be alone.  I could hardly breathe I was crying so hard. Everything seemed so surreal, I wanted to wake up from this terrible dream but I couldn’t.

          “Samantha! Wait..” I turned to hear Danny screaming from the dock at me but I ignored him.

          Grant kept his arm around me as we kept walking, I wanted to stop so badly and hear what he had to say. Anything he had to say would just be more lies though, we would be wasting our time.

          I look back once more at Danny who was now closer to us, “Please Sam, just please stop.” He was talking in a normal voice now, but I kept walking with Grant.

          “Just ignore him babygirl.” Grant held tighter onto me as we got into the car. For once I didn’t want to hear what Danny had to say.

          Everything I knew, was about to change even more than it already had. I would tell Izzy everything now since I had nothing to lose, and I wouldn’t think about it at all. I had to end this once and for all.

          I looked in the reer-veiw mirror to see Danny standing here with his arms slunk down his sides watching us drive off, this wasn’t even close to a dream. It was more like a nightmare, a night mare that I would never wake up from.

Let me know what you think :))

Comment/Fan/Vote!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

428K 14.5K 52
Ivy knows it's time to return to her childhood seaside town to battle the demons of her past. Two years away from her friends, family and the beloved...
1.1K 275 56
"You're supposed to be my best friend, but all I can think about is kissing you again." TEDDY: I somehow got stuck in the unfortunate "one of the guy...
23.1K 740 44
*UNDERGOING EDITING AND SMALL CHANGES RANKED #1 IN #DADSBESTFRIEND TROPE My gaze was fixed on Weston, wanting to look away so he didn't see me but...
6.4K 297 23
Just a week before she was supposed to get married 20 year old Summer's fiance calls off the wedding and leaves town with one of her best friends. Fe...