Gambling with Hearts (On Hold)

By DoNotMicrowave

Zach Brewer has a plan. Win a state football championship, get recruited to a top college, and enjoy his seni... More

Author's Note
♚ Prologue: A Bad Bet
⚀ Chapter 1: Ace in the Hole
Author's Note

⚁ Chapter 2: Conceding a Hand

108K 3.9K 1.4K
By DoNotMicrowave

♡♢♤♧

He didn't see her for the rest of the week. Not even a glimpse out of the corner of his eye, but he did catch sight of the black briefcase in the upstairs office. Eager to talk again, he waited outside hoping she would come out.

She did not.

Luca Martinelli, however, did. His brawny frame stopped short when he saw Zach leaning against the wall. "What do you want?"

He straightened, hoping his height would give him an advantage. Luca dominated in muscle mass, but Zach was taller. "Is Riley here?"

Eyes black as coal bore into him. "Why do you want her?"

"Need to talk to her about something."

"About what?"

Hesitant, Zach jiggled his car keys. "It's personal."

Luca's biceps, which happened to be bigger than Zach's head, twitched. "How personal?"

"You know what? Never mind. It's not a big deal," he backtracked, survival instincts starting to kick in. "I'll catch her another time." Luca's lip thinned so he quickly added, "Or not. It's cool."

"Brewer."

"Yes?" Zach smiled uneasily. Images of Luca cutting off his balls and burying him in the backyard came to mind. Perhaps he shouldn't have used the word "personal" when talking about Luca's sister. Not that he needed to worry. His interest in Riley was purely out of curiosity.

"We need to talk about your account balance."

His mouth dropped into a frown. "What about it?"

"You're overdue."

"I told Dino I would have it to you by next week."

"That's for June. I'm talking about July. Are you going to have it ready for us?"

Irritation flashed in his eyes. "Of course."

"Make sure you do."

"I'm not a flake."

"Never said you were."

The passive aggressive behavior was beyond frustrating. Jutting out his chin, Zach said, "You have something to say then spit it out. I don't like people who beat around the bush."

Luca tilted his head, his expression neutral. "I think you talk big game."

"But I don't deliver. Is that what you mean?" Zach's fingers curled around the car keys. "I'm a guy of my word. When I say I'll do something, you can damn well be sure I'm going to do it."

"Then we understand each other." His eyes darkened as he gave Zach an assessing look. "Don't fuck up, boy. I'm not the forgiving type."

"I'm not a boy," he stated, his gaze locking with Luca's.

"You're not a man yet either."

Footsteps approached. "Everything okay here?"

Luca gave Zach one last look before nodding at his brother, Dino. "We're good. Do you need me?"

"Actually, I'm here for him," Dino responded, thrusting a thumb in Zach's direction. "The one with the crazy hair is looking for you. Said something about leaving."

Damn it. He kept forgetting about Gavin. He wasn't even going to bring him today, but Trace forced him to. Said they needed time to bond or some crap like that.

"Don't forget what I said," Luca warned.

"Hard to forget when you keep reminding me," Zach answered lightly. Apprehension trickled down his spine as Luca stilled. The harsh angles of his face cast a menacing shadow.

"Don't test me, Brewer. It won't end well." Luca turned to his brother. "Make sure he gets out okay." His gaze flickered to Zach. "And see if his little buddy needs a ride home."

Zach's jaw clenched. "I've got it covered."

"If you say so."

"Listen, I don't know what the hell your problem is, but-"

Dino stepped in, blocking Zach's view. "Let's go. The kid is waiting."

He opened his mouth to argue, but Dino gave a sharp jerk of the head. Swallowing his anger, he followed Dino down the hallway.

"Do you have a death wish?" Dino asked over his shoulder.

Perhaps. But he wasn't going allow anyone to bulldoze him over. Not even a scary looking dude who looked like he ate babies for breakfast.

"I know football players get knocked around a lot, but man, I didn't realize how much till now. You must have a few screws loose up in there if you want to challenge Luca."

"He pisses me off."

"He pisses everyone off."

"I don't know how you put up with it." It'd drive him bonkers. Thank God Keeley was easy going. She never argued with him.

Dino flashed a toothy grin. "Don't have a choice. He's blood."

"Blood or not, I'd have knocked him out a few times by now."

"Who says I haven't?"

He looked the nineteen-year-old over. "No offense, but I have a hard time believing you could beat anyone."

While Luca was compact and powerful, Dino was tall and lean. The only common trait between them was their olive skin and dark curly hair.

"Never underestimate the power of smart thinking and a great right hook," Dino retorted.

They marched down the steps and entered the heart of the club. The sound of chatter and a low bass greeted them. People milled around, jumping table to table, waiting for a hot game to pick up. Some focused solely on the game in front of them, while others were socializing and bouncing to the beat of the music.

"Busy for a Wednesday afternoon," Zach noted.

Ever since last year, the attendance rate had skyrocketed. Normally, the Martinelli brothers tried to keep a low profile, but they were actively recruiting now. Many were from the nearby community college where Dino attended.

"Everyone's trying to enjoy their last weeks of summer before school starts."

"Don't remind me," he groaned.

Dino's lips twitched. "I thought you'd be happy to go. You're a senior now. Top of the food chain."

"School's still school. No amount of rank is going to change that."

"High school's great. Enjoy it while you can."

The wistfulness is Dino's voice made Zach's eyebrows rise. "Not looking forward to sophomore year?"

Dino ran his tongue over his teeth. "Not going to be a sophomore year."

Zach's brows rose even higher. "Are you taking a year off?"

"No, he's not," Luca interjected from behind.

Dino blew out a breath as his brother stopped at his side. "Not this again."

"He's quitting." Disapproval sliced the air. "Running away like a dog with its tail tucked under."

Red patches formed on Dino's cheeks. "I'm not quitting. I'm dropping out."

"Isn't that the same thing?"

"No, it's not." Dino's hands balled into fists. "You know why I'm doing it."

"It's an excuse and a pathetic one at that."

"You didn't go to college."

Luca's mouth tightened. "And look where I am. You have the potential to-"

Dino held up a hand. "Don't start. I've heard the lecture."

"And yet it hasn't sunk in."

"I'm not going to change my mind."

"You are," Luca ordered, his tone absolute. "I don't need your help here."

"Look around," Dino exclaimed, frustration pouring out of him. "You can't manage this by yourself."

"Sienna's helping me and so is Riley."

Zach jerked at Riley's name, but both brothers were too busy arguing to notice.

"Sienna's busy on the tables, and Riley's doing enough. Don't add more to her plate."

Luca crossed his arms, his stance firm. "She's a Martinelli. She can handle it."

"For fuck's sake, Luca. She's sixteen. She manages the house basically all by herself and does the club's accounting. How much more are you going to pile on the kid? Let her enjoy herself for once."

The lines across Luca's forehead deepened. "She's never complained before."

"Of course she hasn't. She's Riley. But that doesn't mean we should ignore the fact that she's a teenager who needs to do teenager things."

"What kind of teenager stuff does she need to do? She goes to school."

"I don't know. Go to the mall or try out for a sport or just hang out with friends. Something."

Sighing, Luca dropped his arms to his side. "Fine. I'll hire someone to help."

"Seriously? You'd rather hire someone than have me help for free?" Dino threw his hands up. "Unbelievable. You're a stubborn ass, you know that?"

"Not as stubborn as you."

"Honestly, you both sound equally as stubborn," Zach cut in. The brothers jolted at the sound of his voice.

"Brewer," Luca murmured with a cutting glance. "You're still here."

He gave a bright smile. "I tend to pop up everywhere."

"Like a fungus."

Zach intertwined his fingers and placed it over his chest. "You say the sweetest things. If I didn't know any better I'd think you have a crush on me."

Luca stared at him, his upper lip curling into a sneer. Then strode away without another word.

"You certainly have a way with people," Dino commented. His shoulders drooped as he looked after his brother's retreating back and sighed.

"I don't know about that. Your brother's a real charmer." Zach rocked back on his heels. "I see why he hides in his office all day and lets you manage the floor. You'd have no customers."

"Don't let Sienna hear you say that. She'll come after you."

"Protective?"

"Those two have been together since middle school."

"I bet I could steal her away."

Scoffing, Dino motioned for him to follow and started walking to the back door, which led to the parking lot. "I would pay to see you try."

"Hundred bucks?"

"Not worth what it would cost to get the blood stains out."

"Luca wouldn't mind. In fact, I think he'd enjoy getting the chance to hit me."

"Never said it would be Luca." He motioned over to Sienna who was dealing a hand to a table of five guys.

Zach grinned. "Vicious. I like that in a girl."

"So does Luca. I think he fell in love with her the day she pushed him off the seesaw."

"I thought they got together in middle school?"

"They did. Chased her all throughout elementary school. Took him seven years to get her to say yes."

"Your brother didn't have much game. What changed her mind?"

"Strangely enough, it was Riley. Luca took her to school as one of his show and tells and Sienna fell in love. She started spending more time at our house and the rest as they say is history. But we all say Riley is really Sienna's first love."

Zach started to smile, but stopped when he noticed the serious look budding in Dino's eyes.

"I don't mean to harp on this, but you know you have six days left to pay us," Dino reminded him.

Zach gritted his teeth. "I know the timeline."

Dino ran a hand over his closely cropped head of hair. "I know you do. I just want to make sure we're getting our money."

"In all the time you've known me have I ever missed a payment or had an outstanding balance?"

"It's not that."

He pushed his hands in his pocket. "But it is. I don't know what kind of things your asshole of a brother has been putting in your head, but I don't squelch on my promises."

Dino spun around so fast, Zach had to do some fancy footwork to avoid running into him. Dino peered down at Zach, his brown eyes intent. "There's something you have to realize. Down here, Luca is king. I like you, Zach. I think you're a good guy, but don't think for one second you take precedence over my brother. If he doesn't want you here, you're gone."

Zach bit his lip, fighting to stay calm. "I don't like having my integrity questioned."

"And I don't like giving extensions to players, but I did. You walked into this of your own free will. It's too late to complain now."

"You'll get your money."

"Good."

"Is that all?"

"For now."

Pivoting hard, Zach marched around Dino and headed for the exit. It was actually good that this happened. A harsh reminder that while Dino may joke and laugh with him, they were far from friends.

"Zach. Zach!"

He turned his head to see Sienna rushing toward him. "What's up?"

"Aren't you forgetting something?"

He scrunched his nose and then smacked his forehead with his palm. "Wallet. Can't get far without my driver's license." He strode to table where he stored his things earlier and pocketed the leather wallet. "Thanks. It would have sucked to drive all the way back here to get it."

"Zach..."

He saw Sienna's expression and laughed. "Right. Phone. I swear my head's not connected to my body today." He pulled the drawer open and grabbed his phone. "Alright, see you later. I'll probably stop by this weekend."

Sighing, Sienna pointed to the corner of the room. Sitting on a small stool with his arms crossed over his knees and his head down was Gavin.

"Damn it."

"I'd tally how many times you've forgotten him, but I think I'd lose count."

"It's his own fault."

"Are you really going to blame him for your inability to remember?"

Zach strode across the room. Nothing provoked him more than someone who sat on the sidelines and did nothing. If the kid wanted to go that badly, he should have actively tried to seek Zach out. Not sit down and take a nap.

"Time to rise and shine, Sleeping Beauty," he said, slapping him on the shoulder.

Gavin's arm slipped off his knee and he lurched forward.

"Careful," Zach said, catching him before he fell to the ground. "You ready to go?"

Gavin blinked a few times, gained his bearings, and then nodded. Zach grabbed his hand and pulled him up. As they walked out the back door and into the sun, Zach noticed the bags under Gavin's eyes and felt a rush of guilt. Maybe he'd been pushing him too hard recently, keeping him out too late.

Hopping in the car, he waited for Gavin to put on his seat belt before saying, "So, how are things?"

Gavin gave him a blank look.

"You excited for school to start? Freshman year and all that jazz?"

Again, nothing.

Zach nodded his head. "Yeah, I get it. I wasn't that excited either. But the good news is you can only go up from here. Every year gets better."

Still nothing.

"Have any classes you're excited to take?"

Silence.

"I guess not. Makes sense though. Freshmen are pretty limited to the core classes like math, science, English." When he still didn't answer, Zach rubbed the back of his neck. Getting him to talk was harder than he initially expected.

"So what do you like to do for fun?" he asked, determined to try one more time. "Bet you're killer at hide and seek."

Gavin let out a small snort and Zach almost busted out into his happy dance. Score one for the Brewster.

"So, uh, do you think we could not tell Trace about me forgetting you again?"

Gavin winced and held out his phone. On the screen was a series of texts.

Team meeting @5:00. -Trace

Don't let Zach forget. -Trace

Meeting moved to Cory's house. -Trace

Where are you guys? -Trace

Are you coming? -Trace

You were supposed to be here an hour ago! -Trace

He forgot you again, didn't he? -Trace

"Crap. That was tonight? Why didn't you remind me?"

Gavin shrugged, dark blonde strands shrouding his eyes.

Zach put a hand on the back of his seat and turned to face him. "Listen kid-" He broke off when he saw how Gavin was sitting. Sighing, he asked, "Can you look at me for a sec?"

Lifting his head, Gavin shook the hair off his forehead and stared up.

"Listen kid, you got to pick up your game. This isn't going to cut it. Staying in the background will only take you so far. Be assertive. Take responsibility."

"Like you do?"

Zach collapsed against his seat. "Wow. When you talk, you really go there. Okay, I concede. I have things to work on too, but thankfully we're not talking about me. We're talking about you and your problems."

"I got Dino to find you."

"But why didn't you try to find me? Why were you just sitting there doing nothing?"

Gavin shrugged and looked away again.

Zach stretched his legs out. This kid needed a lot of work, but luckily he was up to the challenge. After all, Coach assigned Gavin for a reason. Obviously it was because he knew the only person on the team who could whip him into shape was Zach. Well, he wouldn't let Coach down. He was going to give it his all.

"Alright," Zach said, slapping his hands together. "Forget about that. Let's concentrate on moving forward. I'm giving you a homework assignment."

Gavin's head whipped back around. "You can't do that."

"I'm captain. I can do anything I want," he said, puffing out his chest. He would never get tired of saying that. "Are you ready? Because I'm only going to say this once. Your assignment this week is to organize a field trip for the freshman team. You're going over to Cory's sister's house and cleaning. I'm talking vacuuming, dusting, scrubbing, mowing, raking. Anything she needs help with, you're doing. Understood?"

"What day do you want-"

"No questions."

"How do we-"

"Just actions."

"What about-"

"Don't care."

"But-"

Zach held a finger in front of his mouth and waited till Gavin stopped. "You need to figure it out. And no passing this off to one of the other players. You have to be the one who organizes everything. Got it?"

Gavin nodded.

"Good." This was going to work out perfectly. A win-win for all. His mind amazed him sometimes.

"Are you patting yourself on the back?" Gavin asked.

Zach lowered his arm. "I like to give myself a congratulatory pat for a job well done. What? Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Are you sure you're the captain? Or is this something you hallucinated while under the influence?"

"You know what? I think I liked you better when you didn't talk." He put the keys in the ignition and brought the car to life. "Now let's get some food. I'm starving."

"Aren't you forgetting something?"

He patted his jeans. "No. I have phone, wallet, keys...you."

"And the football meeting?"

"Damn it!" He pointed a finger at Gavin. "Not a word, freshman. Not a damn word."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...