Viking Tribute

By JVernis

At sixteen, Sunngifu is more of a spoiled child than a dignified thane's daughter. She is destined to a life... More

Author's Note
Introduction
Chapter 1: Unwelcome Guests
Chapter 2: Fateful Banquet
Chapter 3: Ambush
Chapter 4: Taken
Chapter 5: Lust
Chapter 6: Drowning
Chapter 7: Questions
Chapter 8: Stormy Night
Chapter 9: Dinner Time
Chapter 10: Late Night
Chapter 11: Day Out
Chapter 12: Conflict
Chapter 13: Surrender
Chapter 14: Travel
Chapter 15: Arrival
Chapter 16: Settling in
Chapter 17: Mead abuse
Chapter 18: Punishment
Chapter 19: Revelations
Chapter 20: Routine
Chapter 21: Evasion
Chapter 22: Locked In
Chapter 23: Illness
Chapter 24: Close Call
Chapter 25: Learning Curve
Chapter 26: Boathouse
Chapter 27: A Strange Bath
Chapter 28: Rejection
Chapter 28: second part.
Chapter 29: Enlightment
Chapter 30: A Slave's Life
Chapter 31: Jol
Chapter 31: part two
Chapter 32: Mending
Chapter 32: part two
Chapter 33: Fear
Chapter 34: Wave
Chapter 35: Rekindling
Chapter 37: Conversation
Chapter 38: Seer
Chapter 39: Freedom
Chapter 40: Courting
Chapter 41 Bride To Be
Chapter 42: Wedding fright
Chapter 43: Handfast
Chapter 44: Banquet
Chapter 45: New Life Resolutions
Chapter 46: Geese and Bows
Chapter 47: Ambush
Chapter 48: Race for Life
Chapter 49: Naming
Epilogue
Notes

Chapter 36: Extended Stay

121K 5.2K 380
By JVernis

This chapter was a b.... to write, I must have changed it 10times, still not sure I got it right. Let me know what you think!

We were given Magge and Domarr's bed that night, despite our protests. They placed two pallets side by side on a bench, threw covers on it and ignored us. As I insisted, Magge's head peeked between the curtains. "There is not point complaining, Domarr won't listen. The men here are very stubborn, don't you agree?"

I giggled, glancing at Lord Einarr. "That I do, but his leg..."

"My leg is my concern and it is late. Cease your cackling, women, and get some rest."

Magge rolled her eyes at her husband's grumbling and disappeared. I was left with my very amused owner.

"I will heed his advice, come..." He climbed on the mattress first, lying against the wall. I followed and pulled the tapestries around us. As I settled against him I could hear our escort getting ready for the night. Eyes closed, I listened to the rustling of fabric and the thudding of boots hitting the floor. Soon, the room was silent.

It didn't last long. Soft moans resonated in the dark house, getting louder and louder. Magge's voice. If I had any doubt about what was happening, the muffled laughs of the men would have erased it.

Lord Einarr was affected too. There was a kiss on my shoulder, and his breath tickled my ear. "I quite like Magge's song, but I prefer yours. Let's see how they sound together..."

I shook my head wildly. "Not here, my Lord. I beg of you, there is no door, they would hear..."

"Trust me, they have already. The door was never enough, little dreki, you can be fairly loud..."

I hid my face under the pillow. Why did he need to remind me of this? "But Magge and Domarr haven't. Pray, my Lord, it would be so humiliating!" I couldn't do this and face them in the morn.

"Consider it as your punishment for your behavior earlier. And I doubt they will notice..."

I writhed as his lips and hands began to dance on my skin, setting it on fire. There was no avoiding this, he would have his way as usual. I tried to lure him into kissing me, but he would have none of it. I pinched my lips, bit my knuckles to stay mute. Nothing worked. He knew me too well. Soon I forgot all about my surroundings; my world narrowed to the bed, and him.

They had clapped.

I swallowed my gruel, eyes on my bowl, wishing hard for the ability to vanish in thin air.

When I regained control of my senses after our nightly disports, the men had clapped, loud enough that I couldn't hear my heaving breath. Magge giggled and Lord Einarr echoed her, upsetting me. The situation was embarrassing enough without him mocking me. And I blamed him for it. I punched him to make him stop and he caught my wrists.

"Calm yourself, little dreki, this isn't good for the barn..."

"This is all you care about isn't it? Your heir! Why do you always make fun of me? I hate you..." I burst into tears. Again. It was childish, but I couldn't help it. My eyes held an endless supply of water in those days.

"None of this is true, Sunngifu, and you know it. Ignore them. You have nothing to be ashamed of." He emphasized each of his words with a soft kiss to my face. I stopped my struggling and allowed my eyelids to drop, just for an instant. I'd resume my protest later. As soon as my hands would be free.

"Sleep, my sweet, you need your strength..."

I merely groaned my approval before I obeyed.

And here I was, eating my breakfast and listening to them joking about it at the table. They congratulated both him and Domarr on their performance, and Magge on the sweetness of her voice comparing it with mine. I seethed in silence, unwilling to blow on their fire. I would have to wait it out.

Fortunately, it didn't last long. Lord Einarr had come here with a purpose and didn't want to delay any further. As soon as the servant had cleaned the table, his mood changed.

"So Domarr, can you explain why you asked me to come?" His face and voice were devoid of emotion. I guessed it was his usual appearance as a judge.

"It is an unusual affair, Godi. The farm on the other side of the valley belonged to my brother. It has good land, forty cows, and many sheep. Last summer, my brother went on a trip with his wife to visit our kin in Norway. Alas, they were caught in a storm and the boat sank. There were no survivors. None of their children lived to adulthood, and I am his only sibling. It was decided that the farm would be divided between his wife's kin and I."

Lord Einarr nodded. It seemed fair enough.

"A fortnight ago, the wife's brother visited me. He claimed that my brother was brave and would have tried to save his beloved wife, and therefore would have died first. And so, he should get all the estate. I retorted that the wife would have drowned first as her skirts were heavy and my brother was a better swimmer. At this the man became furious and shouted that he would seize the land with the support of Sigurd Godi. So I called on to you to act on my behalf." Domarr patted his broken leg, implying that he would not have annoyed his Godi had he been able to fight.

I doubted so. What could one man do against a full troop?

"You did well, Domarr. It is clear to me that the first choice was wiser, for how could we know for certain whose life ended first? Of course there were no witnesses?"

"The waves were high and the rain heavy. The ships were pushed apart and the second was out of sight. They assumed that the first one had gone down when she never arrived."

"Is there any chance they got lost?"

Domarr shook his head. "We would have heard about them by now. The closest land would be England and if they got stranded there they would have been sold as slaves. I will not see my brother again."

Einarr joined his hands under his chin, considering. "I will sent a message to Sigurd Godi and ask for the matter to be debated in the spring court. Will you be able to come?"

"Thank you, Godi. I will be there, I should manage to walk by then. Will you not try to reason the wife's brother in the meantime? I could send a message to him..."

"No messenger could pass the river at this time and going through the mountain would be long and dangerous. I doubt the man would listen. From your description, he seems to have his mind set already. You should seek the support of at least another chief before the court meeting as they might recuse me as a judge. I could then vouch for you and if there is another, Sigurd will be outnumbered."

"I will heed your advice. Will you indulge a wounded friend and stay a few more days?"

Lord Einarr smiled; Domarr was anything but pitiful.

"I'm afraid I can't, but I would like to request a favor. Could you take care of Sunngifu for a while? I am ashamed to say that she is not safe in my home, and she could use a friend."

My mouth fell open. Why didn't he ask me first? I might be a slave but...

"Magge will be elated. She could use a friend too. Your thrall can stay for as long as you want."

"Thank you Domarr, I will send for her as soon as possible."

The men grabbed each other's wrist and Lord Einarr stood.

"Come outside with me, Sunngifu."

We walked in the muddy yard, watching the slaves trudging around. Dark clouds were running in, pushed by a strong breeze. I waited for him to speak, to explain, although he did not have to. He was the master and I, a piece of property.

"As you could hear, my presence wasn't really necessary. I could have written my answer to Domarr. We came to get you out of danger, in a place where you would have a friend to keep you company. Here you will be able wander around the grounds without fear. It will be best for both of you," he added, his fingers brushing my belly.

"But why didn't you tell me this earlier?"

He smiled. "I wanted to be sure that you would be happy here. And after seeing you and Magge, I know you will be. I will leave four of my men behind, officially for Domarr's protection."

I was touched. He had really thought this through. I was turning crazy, locked into his room. He had noticed and found a remedy.

"Thank you for taking such good care of me, my Lord."

"I will miss you, little dreki. I will bring you back when I will have caught the murderer. It shouldn't be long, I have sent for help."

Help? I was intrigued. "Whom did you call upon, my Lord?"

He chuckled. "Be patient, you will see..."

I stomped my foot, frustrated. I was no child and he still treated me as one. "Why can't you be more like Domarr? Magge is lucky, she is loved!"

"And you are not? Is that what you think, Sunngifu?"

"I..." I faltered at the coldness in his voice. Yet I had to ask. "I don't know. Do you... feel anything for me?"

He stared at me wordlessly for what seemed like an eternity. "Are you blind, woman? Am I not treating you well? Did I fail to protect you? Did I not risk my honor to save you from the consequences of your actions? Answer me Sunngifu: what do you think?"

"I did notice all of this and I am grateful. But you could just be honoring your oath to my father..." I was trembling, scared by his reaction.

His frown loosened and he breathed deeply, regaining his composure. "As I told you before, I cannot be assured that I will trust you again, and I regret it deeply for you are dearer to me than life itself. I do not waste a thought on the oath I took when I look at you. It was never the cause of my actions, although I won't admit it to any other." His lips twitched up on his last words.

I remained there, stunned. I was badly unprepared for that. My heart beat wildly and the bearn moved, sensing my agitation.

"Sunngifu, are you unwell?"

I had no answer. 'Dearer to me than life itself...' I couldn't find any word. So I hugged and kissed him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

221K 14K 126
The Divine woman Draupadi was born as the eternal consort of Panadavas. But we always fail to treasure things which we get easily. Same happened with...
Malika By laiba

Historical Fiction

713K 53.8K 44
This book is a sequel to Khalifa and cannot be read as a standalone. To avoid spoilers, description and excerpt are added inside the book. ✵ Started:...
64.5K 5.2K 103
ពីក្មេងកំព្រាក្លាយជាសំណព្វចិត្តម៉ាហ្វៀ ដ៏មានអំណាចដែលខ្លួនឯងមិនដែលធ្លាប់គិតថា បុរស់ម្នាក់នេះនិងផ្ដល់ក្ដីស្រលាញ់យ៉ាងពេញលេញអោយមកខ្លួននោះទេ។ ទាំងដឹងហើយថា...
31K 2.8K 54
~ Dangerous Life Ahead ~ • Book 2 of LIFE OF PANCHALI TRILOGY • Panchali Rathore, Ex- CEO of Rathore Industries, now the Crown Princess of Hastinapur...