The Hunter

By HeatherWampler

Alyssa's move to Pittsburgh, a small, bustling city in southwestern Pennsylvania, could have been the worst m... More

The Hunter - Chapter 1- pitch
The Hunter - Chapter Two
The Hunter - Chapter Three
The Hunter - Chapter Four
The Hunter - Chapter Five
The Hunter - Chapter Six
The Hunter - Chapter Seven
The Hunter - Chapter Eight
The Hunter - Chapter Nine
The Hunter - Chapter Ten
The Hunter - Chapter Eleven
The Hunter - Chapter Twelve
The Hunter - Chapter Thirteen
The Hunter - chapter fourteen
The Hunter - chapter fifteen
The Hunter - Chapter 17
The Hunter - Chapter 18
The Hunter - Chapter 19

The Hunter - Chapter sixteen

418 29 0
By HeatherWampler

Chapter fifteen

He wrapped his stone cold arms around me; I shivered slightly beneath his touch, but smiled. I appreciated the companionship.

"What do you want to do?" he asked.

"I don't know. I hoped we wouldn't have to deal with them just yet."

"How are you going to deal with your parents? We can't drug them now to get them to listen."

"I know and there is no point in you trying since they're the only parents in the city who know how to destroy you...and everyone else."

"We're going to have to figure something out."

"Yes. We are."

"How are you feeling, by the way?"

"I'm alright. My body still hurts, but that's to be expected. I should have known better than to try to go up against them. I know how vicious they are. I just don't know why they didn't kill us then and there. Normally they do instant justice to the people who offend the Guild and other Hunters."

"They're probably planning something big. Alyssa, you need to realize something. Now that they know you're aiding vampires and monsters you will be hunted along with us. They're probably using you as sport now. Maybe training for other Hunters to know how to deal with a traitor."

"They wouldn't do such an elaborate thing. Would they?"

"You've known them as long as I have, even better than I. What do you think?"

"Yes. They would." I sighed.

"Alyssa!" my mother hollered.

"I wondered how long it would take for them to come for me." I kissed his cheek and climbed through the window. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Will you be in school?"

"I don't know. I'm going to try."

I closed the window and watched as Blake slipped off the porch as silently as he'd appeared. I shut the curtains and turned around as my mother burst through my bedroom door.

"Yes?"

"Do not yes me, young lady. Down stairs. Now!"

I nodded, my mouth going instantly dry. My stomach churned, and I chewed my bottom lip, hoping that nobody from the Guild was still there.

The living room was empty except for my father who stood, staring out a window. My mother paced around, her brows furrowed, her lips turned down at the edges. She shook her head while muttering to herself.

"Why was the Guild in our living room tonight? Have you found something?" My father asked.

"No. There is nothing at that school."

"Don't lie to us, Alyssa. Do you have any idea how serious this is? Do you know the punishment for lying to Mathias, Marcus, and Vincenzo?" Mother asked.

"Yes. It's death. I know very well that they have no problems killing us. They do not value life."

"Alyssa, we have a job to do. We do not befriend those unnaturals."

"Oh my God, dad! What makes them any more unnatural than us? We don't die. What is natural about that?"

"They've poisoned your mind," my mother said, shaking her head.

"Nobody poisoned my mind. If anything I've woken to what monsters are, just beings that want to live in peace. This isn't the dark ages anymore. They are enlightened and want to give their kids a better life."

"So there are monsters."

"I didn't say that," I replied.

"Alyssa."

"Mother!"

"You have to divulge the information you know! Do you want to burn?"

"I'd rather burn than see anyone innocent die. We deserve to die more than any of them," I shouted at my parents.

"Alyssa, what has happened to you?" my mother asked, tears in her eyes.

I plopped onto the couch, letting my head fall in my hands. "Nothing. I've just realized that we're the ones who are wrong. You don't know them. You don't understand."

"It's okay. If you just tell Mathias where they hide, they won't punish us."

"That's the thing; I don't want to tell them anything. I want to protect those we are meant to kill. I don't want to kill anyone."

"It's in our nature, sweetheart. We destroy those who are a threat to society."

"Have you ever thought the only threat around is us? We're the ones threatening society. They have integrated into the world. We have not. We're awkward and cold. They are not."

"Call them what they are, Alyssa. Monsters."

"We're the monsters!"

I stood and ran out the front door, tears streaming down my face.

"Alyssa!" my mother shouted after me as I continued running down the street.

I ignored her. I wanted to get away. I couldn't stand being in that house or around those people any longer. My heart pounded and my chest ached but I didn't want to stop. My legs weakened, but they wouldn't allow me to stop running. Not until I was far enough away, if that was even possible. I felt a rush of wind pass me as I slowed near the tree line. I held onto an oak and tried to steady my breathing. A cold hand rested on my shoulder.

"They don't understand. They won't listen. They're horrible. I hate them!"

"No you don't. They've been doing the same thing for centuries. You can't expect them to just come around to your thinking in a night after one talk. They will understand."

"No they won't, Blake. They will never understand. They will always want to kill."

He turned me toward him and pulled me in close. I didn't care about his deathly coldness. At the moment, I needed him.

"We still need to make a plan."

"We will need my parents. They're strong and can help against the Guild. We can't take them down alone, especially if they call in other Hunters'."

"Can you tell us what to do?" he asked.

"I can, but that won't give us the strength we need." I sighed heavily and walked along the tree line, leaving the safety of his grasp. "While we have a lot of different abilities, nobody is strong enough to take on a fully trained Hunter."

"What about their parents?"

"Perhaps. They're old enough and know how Hunters' attack, but they may not have the strength anymore."

"Let's talk with everyone in the community. Including all the parents."

I nodded my head. "They can at least help us think of what to do since their lives are in danger as well."

He held my hand as we walked along. I wasn't entirely sure how I felt about the situation. I wasn't feeling strongly about the plan. We could have a million ideas, but without the strength to defend them would all be worthless.

"Are you going home?" Blake asked.

I shook my head. "I can't go there. I don't want to see my parents."

"You're welcome to stay with me."

"I've never..."

"Never what?"

"Spent the night with a guy before. I've always been with my parents. Two hundred years with them, every single day with them."

"Then I suppose you can enjoy your first night away."

He led me back toward town. I'd never asked about where he lived before. Did he live alone? His parents had died hundreds of years ago. He was completely alone.

He turned down a side street, the row of houses were large and beautiful. The one at the end of the street stood tall and statuesque. Ivy climbed the old brick walls and a black; wrought iron fence surrounded the property.

"That's your home?" I asked.

"Yes."

"How?"

"How does your parents have so much money?"

"Collecting artifacts and antiques." I laughed.

"Exactly. I've held onto a lot of things from when I was younger."

He opened the front door and led me into a Victorian-esque living room. I felt as though I was transported by to the eighteen hundreds.

"It was my favorite time period."

"You've never updated?"

"Not my living room. Other parts of the house have some fairly newer furnishings. The dining table and chairs are from the twenties. They knew how to make quality dining room tables large enough for parties then."

"You have parties?" I questioned.

"Not anymore. I did at one time. Unfortunately the vampires I associated with then were not as keen with befriending humans as I was and some of my guests ended up as the main course for them. That was about when I moved closer to here. It's a shame it took me so long to find the town."

"Is there anywhere I can shower?"

"Bathroom is on the second floor, third door on the right. I'll bring you a shirt or something to wear."

"Thank you, Blake. I don't know I can thank you enough."

"Don't worry about it. I just want you happy."

The bathroom was incredible. A claw foot tub rested in the center of the room on gorgeous white tile. The feet of the tub and all the fixtures were titanium. I filled the tub with seaming hot water and enjoyed the time I had alone to soak. I with-drew from my thoughts by a knock at the door.

"I have a shirt for you. I'm leaving it on the bed in the room next door."

"Okay. I'll be out in just a moment." I quickly washed and climbed out, wrapping myself in a large, black, fuzzy towel. It was warm.

Why would a vampire have warmed towels?

The bedroom he had me staying in faced the backyard. Dogwood trees and flowers were everywhere. A huge pond off to the side had a small waterfall flowing into it with orange and white koi fish that skimmed the surface as I watched.

"Is it to your liking?" Blake asked, approaching the window.

"It's wonderful. Your home is so beautiful."

"It's lonely."

"I'm sorry, Blake."

"You don't have to be. Like I've told you, you saved me."

"I wish I could have saved you before you were turned."

"As much as I wish I weren't what I am, I'm glad I'm immortal now."

"Why?" I asked.

"If I wasn't, I wouldn't be here with you. You wouldn't have changed. I've dream of the day you'd be mine, and we'd save the world from the evil of the Guild."

I kissed his cheek and sat on the oversized bed. "Will you stay with me?"

"I'll be with you always."

"No. I mean tonight. Stay with me?"

"Of course."

I pulled the blankets back and curled up under them as he wrapped his arms around me, laying on top to keep me from being cold during the night.

"I love you, Blake."

"Do you?" he asked.

"More than I thought possible. If I'm going to have an immortal life, I'm glad it's with you."

"I love you, too, Alyssa. You make this vampire's immortal life much less lonely."

I drifted off to sleep, my cheek resting against his clothed chest. It was a mild chill. Something I had grown to look forward to and enjoy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.3K 1.4K 63
A family lost and a son alone. A boy's life at its end and beginning. An adventure filled with fantastical terrors, where a child becomes a monster...
219K 11.8K 51
A genetically unique but emotionally lost teenager must figure out who she is within her mixed-up, warring world of Shifters and Wolfstalkers. ...
107K 4K 22
Emily Claire's world is turned upside down when she and her destiny mate found together. She has lived from house to house and she's finally turned 1...
2.5K 249 20
Ava's been running for years. Running from life, love and pain. It's all she can do to maintain her sanity after a horrible accident stole ten years...