The Arrangement

By PunkRockPenguin

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, right? What happens when you wake up in Vegas married? Well, you try... More

The Arrangement
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Author Note
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Epilogue

Chapter 56

100K 4.2K 388
By PunkRockPenguin

I worked like a dog. From about 4am until about midnight every day six to seven days a week. If I wasn't at the aquarium, I was at the study site. I made it a personal mission to get to know all of the patients. We had fifty-three selected in total, from all over the country.

I worked with Dr. Ramsey and Dr. Quinn very closely and within two weeks we had a rhythm. A month in, we'd begun to work like a well oiled machine. We were mostly collecting data. It was long, grueling hours, but despite being physically exhausting, it was rewarding. I didn't mind. I was thankful for Rory slipping back in as my right hand. He was always one step ahead for me. He's usually be able to predict when I would forget to eat or if there was something I'd missed. Thank God for him.

During this time I got a summons to appear in court. I called Katrina and she agreed to meet me at our site and we'd talk tonight.

She showed up about 10pm.

We reviewed everything in one of the private back rooms.

"It looks like a typical summons. It requires you to meet, but it doesn't look like it has to be a whole production. Looks pretty run of the mill." Katrina assured me. "I wouldn't be too worried. It's just the legal side of divorce."

I nodded. "What does that mean for me?"

"It means because of who you are and who he is there's going to be a media circus. Just the usual." Katrina joked. "I'll represent you. You focus on what you're doing here. I'll call Trent's attorney."

I nodded. "Alright, I'm going to get going."

I got to my empty apartment and showered. It was a unique sort of lonely. The once homey place was cramped with two people but now just seemed a little too big.

I put a bagel in the toaster. That would suffice for dinner. I sat down on my couch and was almost asleep when I realized it. All of my research was on the hard drive that disappeared.

My brain started turning. It couldn't be . . . could it?

I got up and started pacing. Could this have been a set up? A long elaborate set up? I fired up my lap top and double checked that everything was still there. I'd bought a new hard drive and backed everything up, and I was keeping that one at the site in my makeshift office there.

I texted Jason. I needed to get a message to Trent. I was surprised when I got a text back almost immediately. He offered to meet me for coffee now.

There's a little diner close to where Jason lived. I made my way down there and he was already waiting.

"I'm sorry to put you in this position." I started as I sat down.

"It's fine. Trent's a good mate and you're the one who gave me a chance in the first place."

I smiled at that. I remembered the first time I'd met Jason. His hair was shaggy and hanging in his eyes back then. He was certainly rough around the edges. He'd showed up to the interview in an ill fitting suit. Constantly pulling at his tie. About halfway through, he'd asked to take it off. He was a punk kid starting over who wanted a little adventure. He thought he'd find it on our expedition. First time on Santi's boat with us he'd insisted on talking like a pirate about half the trip.

"You made sure life never got boring." I teased.

Jason laughed and nodded. "No, that wasn't an option." Jason smiled remembering too then his face sobered. "So what's up?"

"Can you let Trent know that one of the things that were stolen was the hard drive with a copy of all our research?"

"That was on there?"

I nodded.

"Do you think that was what someone was after?"

I shrugged. "Who knows?"

"Considering what was taken, it's plausible." Jason muttered. "The place was trashed, like really destroyed."

"Was that unusual?"

Jason shrugged. "You know how I got in trouble when I was a kid." I nodded. I'd had a thorough background check on everyone on my team, that included juvenile criminal records. "Well, your place was trashed, like really trashed. More than is usual. Either they were searching for something they couldn't find or . . ." Jason trailed off.

"Or?"

"Or they wanted to make it look good."

I nodded. "What do you think?"

"I don't know."

"What's your gut telling you?"

"Something is off."

I nodded. "Got it. Jason, thank you. I don't say it often enough."

Jason smiled. "Of course you do, you just do it in your own way."

It was my turn to smile. "Thanks Jase. I'll let you get going. I know I need some sleep so I'm sure you do too."

"See you tomorrow."

I left and went home, my mind racing. Things were about to get very interesting if I was right.

I continued working hard and long hours, making sure all of my duties at the aquarium were accomplished and my duties coordinating with the study. This routine kept up until the day before I had to appear. It would be the first time I'd seen Trent since that last day in the hospital. He'd since been released.

I let Nikki determine what I'd wear in court, she'd chosen another outfit from Caroline's line.

It was a simple a-line dress, it was a soft, sea blue and the cut was high enough that I felt comfortable and not like my boobs were trying to escape my dress, and long enough with it nearly falling to me knees. I was wearing a blazer with it and a pair of sensible black pumps.

Katrina escorted me into the court room and through the paparazzi. They were swarming outside the courthouse, but not allowed inside. Thank God.

My breath caught in my chest when I saw him. He was already seated. Looking dashing in a suit, his casted leg propped up. I smiled when I made eye contact. He gave me a small smile and nodded before turning his attention back to the front. Helena, Madeline, and Nick were present. My team had come as well, they were all dressed in their best and sat on the side opposite Trent's family.

"All arise!" The bailiff shouted. The judge entered and everyone stood.

"The honorable Judge Perez!" The bailiff introduced.

"Be seated." Judge Perez dismissed with a wave of his hand. He sat down and looked over his notes. "The divorce proceedings for a Mr. Trent Ralston and Ms. Mikaela Nero?"

Our attorneys made their statements then Trent, our attorneys, and I were invited to the judge's private chambers.

"I'm confused. Both of you have decided to have a civil divorce, and neither of you are demanding anything from the other party." Judge Perez explained. "Why wasn't this done in mediation?"

"A formality due to the nature of the amount at stake." Trent informed. "There was no prenup. My attorney advised a formal court proceeding."

Judge Perez nodded. "How about you Ms. Nero?"

I shrugged. "I was never with Trent for his things." I admitted. "I don't want to be petty and focus on silly things."

"Give her half of my assets." Trent decided. "Half of everything. It all goes to her."

"Trent, you can't," I interrupted.

"Of course I can." Trent assured me. "Half of everything goes to her, and her research is still funded and it comes from my half." Trent insisted.

"Trent - "

"Mikaela, let me do this."

"Trent, as your family's attorney, I must advise against this." The man looked like he was about to shit a brick. "This is a bad idea."

Your opinion is noted, and ignored." Trent smiled. "Judge Perez, will that suffice? I'm not really supposed to be vertical for too long."

"And the reason for your divorce?"

"Unresolvable differences."

"Such as?"

Trent looked at me for a long moment before proceeding. "We want different things long term. I want a family, she doesn't. Her work is her number one priority, I come in around sixth or so, I think, after her job, the rest of her family, and her friends."

"Were you unaware of these traits before you married her?" Judge Perez asked.

Trent shook his head. "I guess I expected her to change, and she didn't."

"And you, Ms. Nero?"

I swallowed hard. It felt like I'd been hit by a semi. The emotion made it hard to talk. "I just want Trent to be happy. Even if it's not with me." I managed, tears stinging my eyes. I hadn't expected to feel like this, but everything Trent had said hurt. It hurt because it was true.

The judge sighed and shook his head. "Very well, the details can be handled by your attorneys. Once everything is written out, bring it to me and I'll sign off on it.

We were dismissed and I was just outside the courtroom when Trent shouted after me. He was moving slow on his crutches. "Wait!" he panted.

"What?" I asked, wiping at my eyes.

"Why are you crying?" Trent asked, concerned.

"Because Trent," I evaded then sighed. "Because I'm sad. Okay?"

Trent crutched closer and somehow still managed to back me against a wall. "Why are you sad?"

I shook my head. "Please don't make this harder than it has to be."

Trent sighed. "I saw your interview,"

I nodded. "Okay,"

"Did you mean all of what you said?"

I nodded. "I did. You're a good guy. You are going to make one girl really happy one day."

Trent's eyes narrowed. "I'm going to make this girl really happy."

"Trent, I'm not the right one for you. You deserve to be happy."

"You make me happy."

"What you said in there was the truth. We're too different."

"Mikaela, please," Trent pleaded. "Don't do this. We're so close. Don't let it fall apart."

I wiped my eyes again. "Trent, I wasn't a good wife the first time."

Trent leaned in and kissed my forehead. "And I wasn't a good husband." He shot back. "Don't cry, baby." Trent soothed as he pushed a stray lock away from my face, his hand resting against my cheek. "You're the reason we still have a shot. Don't go giving up on me now."

I swallowed hard and nodded. "Okay." I conceded. "I won't give up."

"Good, and can you do me one more favor?"

I turned my head to the side. "What?"

"Please tell Nikki that if she ever sends me a video like that again, I will hunt her down."

"Video? What video?"

"Of course you don't know." Trent smiled. "I know you are gorgeous. I also know other men see that. But the last thing I need right now is to put my fist through a wall after watching another man hit on my wi - er the woman I love and ask her out." Trent whispered, close enough to my ear that his breath tickled and I shivered. "Because next time, hospital or no, I will be down there to set the record straight."

I laughed a little and wiped my eyes. "Stop making me laugh," I smiled. "And what would you have done, hobbling around on crutches no less?"

"Don't make me find out," Trent teased, as he pulled back and looked me in the eye. "This cast won't be on forever, and when it's off, I will be coming for you. I will be making you mine for the whole world to know. Do not give up on me. Do not give up on us."

I smiled back. "I won't."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Aww Trent! The feels! Well, it's official Trent and Mikaela are divorced. What is their ship name? Trikaela? Trenla? Mikent? Whatever lol. Okay, Trent is even winning me over. I admit it, and I've thought he was a colossal douche the entire story. Thanks for all of your support my darlings, especially in your comments. You have no idea what they mean to me!

Teaser: Trent is super adorable, like even I squeed adorable. Since it's been so long since we had our Trenty-poo there's some cuteness between Trent and Mikaela that is so sweet it'll give you cavities. ;) Enjoy my darlings!!! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 148 18
Arina a 24 year old has always wanted to live a freely but being in a abusive mafia family has not made this happen . One day Arina's father announce...
1.1K 151 31
Porsche Kittisawat is a young man who is living in a poor family.. Porsche's father really loves gambling and always like to go to the club for gambl...
40.1M 424K 37
What happens when two are summoned together by a long remembered deal between two enemies to force their alliance in the industry business. Heartbrok...