Reality Check (BoyxBoy)

By TripleJxskittles

I just smirked at the way they all looked down on me. The way they all try to trip me down and glare like the... More

Preview: Carter's Reality
Chapter 1: Someone else
Chapter 2: Blame it on the hormones
Chapter 3: What a time to grow a heart
Chapter 4: Pull yourself together!
Chapter 5: The new Genevieve
Chapter 6: Who you are
Chapter 7: What happened?
Chapter 8: What is Normal?
Chapter 9: Friday fever
Chapter 10: Fool me Once, shame on you
Chapter 11:What happened to Disney?
Chapter 12: This is joke... Right? Pt 1
Chapter 13:This is a joke.... right? (Pt 2)
Chapter 14: Number
Chapter 15: Wake me up
Chapter 16: Assembly with Summers
Chapter 17: #14
Chapter 18: Ignorance
Chapter 19: Are you a cross dresser?
Chapter 20: I don't dance
Chapter 21: Denial or Confess?
Chapter 23: Mistakes and Memories
Chapter 24: Someone Better
Chapter 25: Flirting's not my thing
Chapter 26: What do you say...?
Chapter 27: Food, fight and Firsts
Chapter 28: Mother knows best
Chapter 29: Mira
Chapter 30: Baby it's cold outside
Chapter 31: Nightingale

Chapter 22: An 'A' and an 'X'

70.9K 3.4K 3.7K
By TripleJxskittles

Chapter 22:

An 'A' and an 'X'

***Patrick Price on the side***

>>>Carter

Sometimes when you look at a test, you can't help but wonder, 'Why the hell did I even study, when I can't even understand what the crap is on this paper?' Yeah. This is one of those days for me right now.

Biology was the last period for today, which I was totally grateful for since it was also Friday, but the fact that I'm so stressed about this test in front of me right now completely ruined the day for me altogether, and I'll probably lay in bed tonight thinking 'Shit I think I failed' until I receive it back on Monday. I tapped my pen on the desk, impatiently running a hand through my hair trying my best to answer a trick question on this complicated crap that I thought I prepared for perfectly.

"Five more minutes." Mrs. Pastillo warns, causing half the class to groan in response. "Oh come on guys it's not that hard."

You made it. Of course it's not for you.

I answered the last question in haste, not really sure if what I wrote was justifiable, but at least tried to get something in before my time ran out. I set my pen down, curiosity getting the better of me as I glanced towards the back where Nolan was located wishing that I didn't as my jaw slacked disbelievingly at the site.

He was sleeping quite soundly with his head on the desk as if this was daycare nap time instead of a high-school test.

Oh this no good rotten little-

"Time's up." Mrs. Pastillo announces, her small frame getting up from the desk as she went around to collect the test papers from each row. As she passes Nolan's desk, she gently shakes his shoulders to wake him up. He opens his green eyes before slowly sitting up in his desk, wiping the drool that creeped from the corner of his lips.

"Had a nice nap Mr. Drake?"

"Very much thanks for asking." He answered casually, handing over the test paper in an innocent manner.

Mrs. Pastillo narrowed her eyes in annoyance, shaking her head with disbelief as she takes it and place it along with the pile within her arms. "So everyone other than the one who didn't seem to do the test, how was it?"

She just had to ask.

A chorus of groans and complaints echoed throughout the room, causing her to grin in response.

"Miss that wasn't cool." A guy in the front complained.

"I didn't know how to answer those structured questions." A girl whined beside me. "It was like totally unrelated to the topic!"

"Okay sounds like it went pretty well." The teacher shrugs as if she didn't just hear those comments.

Another symphony of complaints waved across as I shook my head, quietly leaning down on my desk to get some shut eye before the bell rang. What a bunch of crybabies for thinking that complaining will get them anywhere. I think I'm screwed for that too, but you don't see me going all 'Woe is me.' Or 'life isn't fair.', because the reality of it is that sometimes things are just that. Unfair. Suck it up.

"Good afternoon." The voice of the wicked witch herself announced on the P.A System through speakers that were placed on every corner of the room, causing everyone in the class to immediately die down with their one on several with their teacher, and me to internally groan at the sound of Maybelle's voice.

"Class we have an announcement." Mrs. Pastillo hushed.

It was punishable if anyone interrupted or made a sound during an announcement whether you were in the middle of a quiz, presentation or not you must listen. A pencil can drop, and I was very sure the entire school would hear it within the moment of complete silence that challenged that of a funeral home within the entire campus.

"I apologize for this announcement, knowing this may be an odd time for us to do this," Maybelle continues when silence enveloped the building, her voice recognizable, but screechy being on the system. "But, I have a very special guest here that I would like to talk to the Junior and Senior students before he leaves. Think of it as a last minute assembly. Teachers of juniors and seniors would you please accommodate this by escorting everyone that is within your classrooms at this moment towards the gym at the sound of the bell. Students, I know that it's Friday and all, but I'm sure this presentation will be very educational, and beneficial for some of you. It will not take over an hour, please don't be difficult and cause unfortunate situations to occur."

In other words, behave yourselves, and keep your mouth shut or get detention for the rest of the month or worst suspension.

"Thank you." She finished, as the speakers became silent.

The classroom filled with a raging tension at that as I held in the urge to laugh. Leave it up to her to cause something like this to occur at the most random time possible, way to go Maybelle. The bell rang at that time, making everyone groan in complaint about how their Friday was ruined by getting an additional hour at school.

"Alright you guys." Mrs. Pastillo sighs, obviously feeling as annoyed as her students about this last minute idiocy. "Start making your way towards the gym, I trust all of you will go straight there and don't need me to accompany you like a group of preschoolers right? And.. just to give you some motivation, there will probably be an attendance check so I repeat. Go. Straight. There."

A few students muttered a silent 'yes mam' as others huffed in obvious irritation before walking through the door. I quickly packed my supplies within my backpack before hauling it over my shoulder, slowly making my way towards the exit.

"Excuse me Mrs. Pastillo." I hear Nolan's voice, choppy from just waking up as I glanced over my shoulder to see what he was up to just before I left "Can you please check my paper first? I want to get this over with."

Whoa, back up, rewind and pause. Sleeping beauty over there did something on the test?

"Hey are you going to move anytime soon today queer?" a guy hisses behind me as I realized I had been blocking the doorway. I turned, glaring at him looking down at me in a disgusted manner before placing a sarcastic smile on my face. You'd think that after so long people would learn to just leave me the hell alone if they didn't want a scene. Three years kids. Three years.

"I was about to, but could you say that a little louder dear? I don't think Mrs. Pastillo heard you." I say innocently turning towards my teacher, who looked in our direction after hearing her name being called. "Did you miss?"

"What was that Mr. Summers?"

"He said nothing Miss!" the idiot rambled quickly.

"Alright Mr. Robinson." She shrugged off, turning back to Nolan as she searched through her papers. The idiot glared once more in my direction in complete loathing. I gave a plastic smile in response, and watched gladly as his face heated red in embarrassment.

"Are you angry or just blushing?" I winked, watching as his cheeks turned a darker shade. Yep. Closet case.

"Pervert." The guy whispers, keeping his face down before pushing his way out pass my shoulder as I stood in the doorway a little off balanced by what he said.I haven't been called that since... nope, no Carter don't go there. Like Taylor Swift once said, Shake it off. I do not need that emotion crawling in my system right now, not now.

"Hey Summer."

I rolled my eyes, taking the stupid grin that made its way on my face when he called me that straight off, as I turned to meet Nolan's smug look.

"May I help you?"

"Take a look at this." He gestured towards Mrs. Pastillo checking a test paper as I made my way towards the desk in curiosity.

"What in the world..." Mrs. Pastillo whispers in disbelief as she checks the test... because that's all she's been doing...check, check, check....There wasn't anything wrong.

 Are. You. Kidding. Me? Dammit.

"Oh would you look at the time." I say, looking at an invisible watch on my wrist, as Nolan chuckled in response, knowing I was looking for a way out to not finish looking at this. "I better be going."

"Looks like I'll be thinking about that promise later." I merely snorted in reply, not looking at his smug ass look as I took a deep breath before making my way outside.

"Whatever Drake."

...................................................

"I hate this lady." Eve mutters incoherently in my shoulders like she was about to cry. Right now, we were both seated next to each other in plastic chairs that were arranged all across the gym for us as other students conversed in their own conversation, waiting for this presentation to get over and done with. In curiousity, I scanned the area where the seniors were to find Nolan, but...He wasn't here.

Wait. What do I care? Psh. He just probably ditched. I don't care; it doesn't matter to me.

"Who is this damn guest anyway?" Eve continues her ranting as I listened. "What's so special about him that he can't freaking wait until Monday to talk to us? I want my Friday night Netflix movies with my bestie!"

"How am I supposed to know?" I shrug. "But this isn't the first time she's done something like this. Remember that doctor guy she wanted to speak with us in Junior year?"

"Oh god." Eve rolls her eyes at the memory. "How can I forget the longest three hours of my life! I wanted to scream so hard in that statoscope, or whatever you call it, he'd collapse."

"Yeah." I laughed at her silliness. "It was something else all right, but I snoozed throughout the whole thing."

"How'd you pull that off?" she asks, knowing that falling asleep during something like that, and getting caught was a week worth detention.

"I had a pair of shades on that day, because I couldn't stand the sun in February it's boiling that time."

"Smart." She nods approvingly. "Very smart."

"I know I am Hun." I say and she smacks my arms playfully.

 "Now don't be such a-"

"Quiet."That one commands from Maybelle instantly shuts everyone up from their conversation, as she makes her way with a microphone in hand in front of the crowd of very pissed offed juniors, and seniors. She smiles falsely towards us, as if she fed off the anger spirited right at her. "Now that I have you undivided attention." She starts. "I would like to introduce an old student of mine that graduated three years ago. He's a current student at Boyle's Law Collage, and also an intern at a very prestigious Law firm at the ripe age of 20, impressive isn't it?"

"Oh Joy." Eve sarcastically whispers beside me so only I could hear. "Good for him." I smile, holding in a stifle laugh, and gently nudged her shoulders in warning to be quiet since a teacher was directly in front of us.

"The seniors might be more familiar with him since they were in freshman year while he was in their positions so let's see if I can give a few hints so they can guess who it is."

"Just what we need, to waste more time." Eve huffs before leaning on my shoulder; I roll my eyes as I pat on her head in comfort, she's such a drama queen.

"He's over six feet."

A height I wish I had.

"He's used to be all over the papers during your freshman year."

If it wasn't written by Rick Riordan, Veronica Roth, John Green, or J.K. Rowling, I didn't read shit back then.

"He was mostly famous for being the captain of his Basketball team."

Well that explains his height now doesn't-.... Wait... Captain?

"We even named our court after him when he bought the goal home to us three years in a row. He was nicknamed the Dominatrix of the game-"

I felt a wave of panic rush through me at that. Please. Please. Please no.

"The one and only-"

"Oh Mrs. Maybelle you flatter me too much." A hearty chuckle envelops the gym, and no matter how hot it was within this boiling ass room I felt my blood run cold at the sound of his voice. Everyone turned their heads unanimously towards the back of the room while I kept mines perfectly straight in the front. A few squeals had escaped some girls as the guys whispered respectful comments.

"OMG, is that-"

"He got hotter."

"Dude is like a legend on the court man. He's still killing it at Boyle's Law for the team!"

I'm going to shoot myself.

As footsteps approached behind us, I felt Genevieve stir on my shoulder and looked towards our oh so special guest. She gasps, then slowly turned towards me with a worried look in her eye. She caught on, but that was no surprise... the entire Senior class knew... well what they think they knew.

"Is that..." she started nervously, as if afraid to ask. The footsteps stopped. I look up, facing the front to let my eyes meet the familiar brown ones I once adored as a fourteen year old boy. His hair shorter than I remembered, but held the same brown color and thick curls I once grabbed a fist full of when he kissed me. He was older though, and I'll admit, like what that girl said, he got hotter.

"Yeah that's him." I stated bluntly, guilty for avoiding her gaze as I looked down to the floor, tapping my feet with a rhythm that matched my breathing as I tried my best to keep calm.

"Hello Newton High!" his voice laughed on the microphone as students, mostly the seniors, cheered frantically as if LeBron Fucking James was in the building. "Thank you for that lovely introduction Ms. Maybelle, and don't you look lovely as ever."

"Oh stop it." Maybelle laughed dryly. She was probably ticked that he interrupted her, but there was nothing she could do about it now. "Well introduce yourself sir and get this show on the road."

"Right. Well I bet the Seniors are already familiar with me. Right guys?" he winked, causing a few girls to giggle.

Oh the poor saps.

"Man let me look around. You guys were freshmen last time I saw you." he said, I look up curiously to see that he's moving around. I shift uncomfortably within my seat, but felt a friendly hand holding my own causing me to look at the culprit. Eve smiles warmly, signaling that she's here for me, and I gave a small one back as I mouthed 'thank you.' She nods, understanding at what I told her even though I was still trying to control my breathing at this point. This meant a lot though, and I wish I could tell her that, but I was pretty sure if I talked right now I'd start doing something else that I'll hit myself for later.... Like crying. "My name's..." he halted, causing me to glance up only wishing I hadn't when I locked eyes with his. This wasn't happening. Of all people it just had to be...

Patrick. Freaking. Price. My wonderful, deceiving, conniving Ex-boyfriend.

He turned away, almost in distress as if seeing a ghost, and I could help but smirk a little at that reaction. My left hand held on tightly in Eve's as she squeezes back, signaling that she was assuring me that she's real and that she's not going anywhere. A friend holding my hand like this was enough to not send me off the edge like I was about seconds away from doing.

......................................

Everything Patrick's been saying for the last thirty minutes was completely incoherent as it waved across me like disposable trash of information that I never plan on using, especially if they were coming from his mouth. The playful attitude he played off was winning everyone's attention but my own, and probably Genevieve since every time he passed or even glanced in our direction, she'd glare daggers in his skull making Patrick instantly change his course of audience.

It was like hearing nails on a chalk board the way he spoke so casually, and openly about his oh so perfect life at Collage. How everyone should become a lawyer, like it's the best thing in the world which made me want to bang my head against a wall. Everyone wants to be a doctor or a lawyer, doesn't anyone want to be original anymore?

"Well to finish this off," he says, twirling around the wires that connected with the microphone. "I would like for everyone to know that there is an opening for an internship where I'm currently working. If there are any of you lovely children interested, then please feel free to sign up with your lovelier Principal for she has the application papers. Are there any questions? About the school, what I do or about me?"

I sighed in relief, it was over. No one really asked questions after a-

"Yes you over there."

Oh come on!

"Okay um." A junior girl states nervously as she stands up and swings back and forth like an innocent anime character. "D-Do you um... have a um-"

"No Hun I do not have a girlfriend." Patrick says politely.

"Oh... Alright then I'll just sit down now." She pouts.

"Anyone else?" he asks, looking anywhere, but here of course. "Aha. You."

This time, it was a senior guy that I recognized as the idiot who called me queer earlier seated next to Genevieve. I saw him smirk in my direction before getting up, making my skin crawl at that look he gave. He. Wouldn't. Dare.

"I'm a huge fan of yours by the way Mr. Price." The guy states, making my worrying diminish for a small second as he continues. "But that other question just now had me wondering. Do you not have a girlfriend because they heard about the rumors when you were still here about this pervert coming on to you?"

Silence. That was all that practically suffocated the room after the comment, leaving a proud look on the commenter's face as he pointed an accusing finger in my direction from the time the word 'pervert' left his mouth.

No.

No. NO. Not this shit again.

The next thing I knew, Eve let go of my hand instantly as she swings it hard against the bastard's nose, causing him to fall back against the students behind him. I snap out of it, quickly stepping up as I held her by the waist and pulled her away from bloody nosed idiot, who looked up at her in annoyance.

"Genevieve stop!" I command as she placed her hands down, still bawling them in a tight fist as if she was ready for round two. "It's alright-"

"No it's not fucking alright!" she snaps back.

I bit my lip hard, trying to gain control over my own emotions and pride as I looked towards a shocked Maybelle. I hated, emphasis on the word hated, relying on her but right now I pleaded with her with my eyes. Telling her please do something about this situation, before things got any worst. She snaps out of her trance, hardening her glare as she looked towards Mr. Broken Nose.

"Mitchel, get Mr. Robinson towards the infirmary to patch his nose then straight into my office." She commands directly to Mr. Hale, her voice full of authority as she turns to my direction. "Mr. Summers. Ms. Mauricio I will deal with you both later." Then she turns to face the awkwardly shocked students who flinched at her next command. "The rest of you. Get off the campus in under two minutes, and if I hear any word of this incident so help me the entire juniors and seniors are going on juvenile detention for the rest of the school year. Now!"

It was like a stampede; everyone stumbled out in a matter of seconds like it was the last day before summer holidays.

I waited until the gym was empty, leaving Genevieve, Maybelle, our (unwanted) Guest, and I behind. I glanced at their direction, seeing Maybelle talk to Patrick as if she was in deep conversation with him, probably apologizing for the way things had turned out today.

"Let's go." I took hold of Genevieve's wrist, as she nods in response. I frowned, noticing the plain anger and sadness in her eyes when she casts them to the floor. I lead her outside, jaunting my way through the abandoned halls, that I was grateful for being empty right now. I was stopped abruptly by Eve since I still held a small grip on her hand; I looking at her question as she points towards the girl's bathroom.

"You go ahead." She sighs. "I'll meet you outside."

"Alright." I say, understanding what she wanted to do before letting go of her wrist. "I'll wait by your car." She gave a little grin in response, before disappearing into the bathroom.

I let out a tired sigh, thinking how fucked up today got in a matter of seconds. I started my way down the halls again, then stopped in front of the Boy's bathroom. I opened the door, making a quick scan to see there was no one else here and stepped inside as I made my way over to where the mirrors were to survey myself.

I looked at myself in wonder thinking 'what changed?' My height? A little I guess... My personality? Probably. I was never really the same after freshman year... I still looked... like me. Did I ever really change?

"You look cute."

No.

"I think I'm in love with you."

NO.

Why?

Why did I always allow these thoughts in my head? I don't want to remember. I didn't want to remember any of it.

I rubbed at the nape of my hair, taking my glasses off before placing it on the sink. Turning on the faucet, I cupped a handful of water before splashing it on my face, cooling down, so nothing like the locker room incident occurred again, because I doubted a number 14 would come around again... I was so focused on keeping my emotions in check, I didn't even hear when the door opened as someone stepped inside.

"Car?"

My heart stopped, eyes wide in shock as memories of that nickname flooded my thoughts. I looked up into the ceiling, as if glaring to the invisible force in the sky for doing this to me. I dried my hands on the towel before doing the same to my face, turning around slowly to meet the face of the guy that thought he still had any right to that nickname.

"Do I know you?" I asked in confusion, making Patrick let out a tired sigh like he was expecting that.

"Not nice." He said, brown eyes sparking in dull humor as he took a step towards me. I took a step back, keeping the distance safe. He on the other hand had changed. He was always fit, but now, at twenty and not seventeen, he was very well-built. I hated myself for even noticing that.

"I'm no longer a very nice person." I say, taking my glasses from the sink to place them back on.

"You still look better with your glasses off. Brings out your eyes." He snickered out of the blue as my thoughts drifted somewhere else.

"You know." Nolan cuts me off by placing a finger on my lips, shutting me up instantly at the feeling. "Your eyes are a really bright green-brown hazel. I never really saw that until we danced so close. You've been hiding under glasses since third grade. Not really fair to hide it you know."

My face heats up. Why the hell am I thinking about Nolan for?

"Wow." Patrick whistles, taking carful steps closer. "I still make you blush?"

"I don't blush. My face just gets hot." I glare at him, backing up until I felt the wall against the back of my shirt.  Besides it wasn't him that bought that on it was...

"Right." Patrick whispers disbelievingly, walking towards me until he was a foot away from my face.

"This is wrong on so many fucking levels, so back the fuck up Rick." I warn, his eyes flashing a mischievous glint as he placed both arms across from me onto the wall, trapping me in place.

"You just called me Rick again." He snickered.

God this arrogant prick.

"I said. Back. The. Fuck. Up. Patrick." I hiss, glaring hard at his conniving expression as the anger boiled up inside of me.

"Car I-"

"I do not need this right now alright!" I yelled, making him flinch at the hostility of the sound that I even surprised myself. "It was your choice alright. You told them that I was the one coming on to you!" I pushed him off of me with force, backing him a good feet away as he stared at me in complete bewilderment like I was a complete stranger.

"Car-"

"Don't fucking call me that!"

"Car I explained to you why I did-" he started but I cut him off instantly.

"You," I pointed directly in his chest. "Were the one that didn't want anything to do with me in the end. You were the one that broke it off. You were the one that started the whole damn rumors and just left me there. You were the one that freaking- God- What is this all about? Just let me go I have somewhere else to be. What do you want?"

He looked at me in confusion, a sorrowful look taking over his features which caught me off guard since I've never really seen that before. He sighs, an apologetic look reaching his eyes as I felt myself pale at that look.

Oh hell no.

"I thought maybe you'd-"

"Not happening." I deadpanned, shaking my head from side to side in a frantic manner that I thought it would fall off. It was like déjà vu returning all over again. "So not happening. I'm not interested."

"You used to be." He glared back, a different tone taking over his voice.

"Hence the words used to Rick. Past tense Mr. English major."

"You know something?" he started. I raised a brow in question as his features hardened. "I thought you grew up somehow."

I was taken back by that.

"I completely forgot that you'd be in senior year, and when I saw you out there. Man did it bring back memories." His hands raked across the sink as my eyes widened at the gesture. "Just like in here-"

"Rick stop-"

"When I asked you if we could-"

"Shut up!"

"Do it right-"

"I said shut up!" I yelled, my eyes stinging with unwanted tears as the memory served itself right in my thoughts. I place my face in my hands. "Just stop."

"Car." I look up.

The next thing I knew, I was hauled up against his chest, pulled in for an unexpected, unwanted and excruciating painful kiss.

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

*Whisles Innocently*
*Chews on M&MS and Skittles*
*Looks at invisible watch on wrist* Oh would you look at the time, (5:15 a.m lol), I need to sleep. Half of the next chapter is  a flashback.

Yeah guys, I just did that, oppsie, did I actually make you think the ship would sail so easily..... my bad. Well if you have a few stuff to say....

Hate mail here.

Love mail here.

Patrick must die mail here.

Where the F### is Nolan mail here

How the story is going so far mail here.

Aww I love you guys, so comment comment comment!!! I want to hear hear hear them! :)
I need to sleep now. Soooo

So long, Farewell, Auf weidersehen Adieu! Adieu, Adieu, to you and you and you. Goodnight! (I swear I'll forever love whoever knows where this is from, and if you do, you have excellent taste.)
Love ya'll

~TripleJ

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

525K 14.4K 22
"sir, I can't do this" I whimper as I look up meeting his hazel eyes "What makes you say that?" he asks as he sits down in the chair beside me. The...
112K 4.4K 27
I'm Finn Vasco but that's not quite important right now. I'm a pretty sarcastic guy if I'm gonna be honest. I'm closed off and I literally only have...
238K 9.6K 54
"Theo. If I'm not mistaken? Isn't this yours?" He extended a hand, holding my penguin printed handkerchief. My eyes couldn't have gotten so wide. I q...
911 45 10
----------------------- Y/N had just moved to a very new place, he didn't know what to expect. Y/N didn't want to, but he had to. So, this meant new...