Better Sorry than Safe

By EdenY_

Every Tuesday during football practice, sixteen year old Sem Bolton finds himself stealing glances at the gor... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
Glimpses of the Future 1
Glimpses of the Future 2
Glimpses of the Future 3
Glimpses of the Future FINAL
Final Author's Note
[Nick x Blake] SEQUEL TO BETTER SORRY THAN SAFE: WHILE THE SUN SHINES
Character Profiles

6.

215K 9.7K 17.4K
By EdenY_

"Sem, you made it!" Sophie greeted Sem with her trademark pearly white smile. "Come in, come in."

"Hey Sophie. Happy birthday." Sem stepped over the threshold of the front door, pulling the petite blonde in for a quick hug. 

"Thanks. You got your bike fixed then? Nick said it was broken or something, and that's why you weren't with him earlier."

"Yeah, it took a while, but it's fine now. A guy fixed it for me." 

Sure, just 'a guy.' Just the guy for who he'd impulsively started listening every Arctic Monkeys album in existence, merely because he owned a shirt of said band. Just the guy he'd been social media stalking ever since he'd learned his name, soaking up and analysing all the details that could be found on his profile. 

Connor had started at Valsten last year September, and did mechanical engineering. His surname was Judd. His birthday was December 23rd, and he was eighteen. He had Mexican roots, which explained the gorgeous tan skin. He'd recently liked a video on how to make your own wood burning pizza oven. Sem had memorised all that shit so quickly he could hands down go to Valsten college himself, if only homework was as interesting. 

As of now though, nothing was more interesting than his notifications. Sem's fingers constantly itched to reach for his phone, anxious to check and re-check if Connor had already accepted his friendship request. 

Of course, Sophie had no idea who 'a guy' was, nor how important he was. She had simply nodded, the subject done and dealt with for her. "Great. I'm glad your bike's fixed. Well, you know the way. See you inside." 

"Aight." Sem slipped out of his jacket, and tossed it onto the pile of coats on the staircase, before following Sophie into the living room. 

The place was completely packed with people, most of whom Sem recognised from school. Sophie always invited like, half their year to her birthday parties. But even through the background music and chattering, Sem still recognised Ethan's distinctly loud laugh from all the way across the room. It made it easy to find Nick, Ethan, Emma and Matthew all chilling on the big, fluffy couch in the corner. Sem poured himself a drink at the table, and then manoeuvred to them, greeting some other classmates on the way. 

"Hey!" Emma spotted Sem first. She brightened, and scooted over to give him a spot on the couch next to her. 

"Sem, great timing," Nick looking up at him."You get to have the tie-breaking vote. In the latest Avengers movie: Scarlett Johansson, or that chick who also plays Robin in 'How I Met Your Mother?' What do you say?" 

"Neither," Sem replied, keeping a straight face, while taking the seat next to Emma. "I really get hard for that angry, buff, green dude, obviously." 

Nick snorted at Sem's reply. "Hah, gay," he said, stretching out the second word. 

"Should've known you can't get a normal answer out of him Nick." Ethan rolled his eyes."He's never serious." 

Ethan was right: Sem was never serious about these things. He always made the same sarcastic jokes whenever his friends were discussing hot actresses. Like how he thought the old grandma character was the sexiest, to even claiming to crush on that lovely curvy spaceship in Star Trek. 

What would happen if Sem told them he was sort of serious this time? Would Connor want him to, if they ever did get together? Sem tensed, his own thoughts startling him. Whoa, what? He was getting way ahead of himself here. They'd talked once, and he was already planning his big coming out. 

The scariest part was that he'd actually consider it, if Connor wanted it. For now though? No way. 

Sem reached for his phone. Still no acceptance notification. Damn. Sliding his phone back in his pocket, he tried to focus on the conversation going on between his friends again. 

"--I think Tom Hiddleston's cute," Emma said. "Speaking of him, oh God, I'm so looking forward to the London school trip. It's gonna be awesome!" 

"Screw school trips, they always find a way to make it a waste of your life," Matthew disagreed, frowning. 

"Yeah, remember Barcelona?" Nick added, and Ethan let out a dramatic groan. 

Sem had to give this one to Matthew and Nick, too. It took a special kind of talent to ruin a trip to Spain, but somehow his school had managed. From the first day on, they'd been dragged to all these boring, stuffy museums and got handed huge-ass assignment books about them for a grade. So when their English teacher announced they were going to London this year, Sem found it hard to get excited about it. 

Ethan wrapped an arm around Emma's shoulder. "Nah Emma, you want a real good time? I have three words for you: design school parties! Those people are freaks! They're always in these bizarre locations you'll never find if you don't know about them. Last time I was there, it was down an obscure alleyway. They'd only open up for people who knew the password. Then, they'd lead you up all these stairs, and all the way in the penthouse there was the party. The windows were sealed off, so it wasn't visible and couldn't be heard outside. And the actual party? Oh man!" Ethan's blue eyes were sparkling. Uh-oh, that signalled Ethan rant time. 

Sem halfheartedly listened to Ethan telling the story about three crazy chicks who had a threesome in the car right out front, and some guy wearing a turban who was permanently high. He casually took his phone out. 

Connor Judd has accepted your friendship request. 

He'd accepted. 

He was so not good for Sem's health, with all these palpitations he'd been causing the past few hours. Sem felt like jumping on the couch and scream like a maniac. 

To imagine he'd once claimed 'nerd' was the biggest turn off in existence. He'd always assumed all Daniel's schoolmates were creepy, imported to Valsten college from smelly basements all over the country. And now, the first time he ever had the severe hots for someone, it was a nerd. The joke was so on him, and he couldn't help but smile along. 

Emma leaned closer. "What are you grinning about?" she asked, blinking her large eyes and curiously trying to peer at his phone's screen. 

Sem angled the screen so she couldn't see. "Nothing," he hastily replied, his euphoric rush only dimming ever so slightly with the realisation he wasn't alone. 

He couldn't wait until tomorrow, though. He couldn't even wait until this party was over. He needed to talk to him right now. 

Sem: Hey, my bike's still working perfectly, thanks a lot again ! [Sent: 20:23] 

In all honesty, Sem hadn't expected an immediate answer. But the line immediately jumped to 'read' and three dots in a text cloud appeared at the bottom. Connor was typing something back! Sem was burning holes in his screen, with the intensity he was staring at it. 

Connor: no problem [Sent: 20:24] 

Connor: so you are daniels brother right? [Sent: 20:24] 

No. No way. Shit, shit, shit, he couldn't know Daniel. That wasn't possible...Okay, Connor and his brother went to the same school, so Sem supposed it wasn't that weird they knew each other. Except for the fact that it was totally weird. His brother and his love life? Oh God, those were two things that should never ever get in contact with each other. 

It'd be pointless to lie about it now however, and Sem reluctantly typed his reply. 

Sem: Yep, we're not alike at all tho, in nothing [Sent: 20:24] 

Connor: nope [Sent: 20:24] 

Connor: i wouldnt have guessed if it wasn't for the surname, and Lisa saying so. [Sent: 20:25] 

Sem was just finishing typing "thanks ;)" when Emma leaned towards him again. He quickly tapped send, and then made the screen of his phone black. 

"Seriously, who are you messaging?"Emma asked. Her tone was chipper as always, but her smile didn't quite reach her eyes. "You're suddenly all happy. A new secret girlfriend?" 

"None of your business." 

Emma's face fell at his harsh tone, and Sem felt a small sting of guilt. He hadn't meant to snap at her like that. It just made him anxious when she was prying. Why was she being so damn curious all of a sudden? Couldn't she listen to Ethan's party stories like everyone else, and leave him be for a sec?

"I'm thanking the guy who fixed my bike," Sem added with a slight smile, before turning back to his phone. 

Connor: do you alraedy have a ride to the camping btw [Sent: 20:25] 

Sem: Dunno, haven't really thought about it yet. [Sent: 20:25] 

His mom would probably try to force him to go with Lisa. Fuck Lisa's ride front and back if Connor was going to offer him one, though. 

"So, are you looking forward to London? Emma asked. "You didn't say yet." 

"I guess," Sem shrugged, this time not even bothering to look up at her. Read the damn signs, girl.

Connor: if you need one, theres still one more spot in my car [Sent: 20:26] 

He owned a car already? Oh hell yes, Sem wanted in on that. 

"I'm really looking forward to seeing Big Ben, the London eye, and the bridges," 

God, shut up already, Sem quietly urged Emma. He gave her a glance. "Mhm, I think they'll be pretty impressive."

"And the musicals," Emma continued, "I really hope we're going to go to one. Mrs. Cross said they were trying to get tickets already." 

"I'm not into musicals," Sem replied flatly. 

Sem: I might take you up on that offer. You already have a car? Nice :) [Sent: 20:26] 

"Right." Sem looked up when he felt Emma get off the couch. She crossed her arms in front of her chest, nostrils flaring. "I'm going to help Sophie make some snacks." She practically stomped off to the kitchen, and Sem watched her go. 

Immediately after Emma left, Nick took her now vacant seat next to Sem. "Okay, seriously, cut it out douchebag," he said with a lowered voice.

God, now what? Sem grudgingly put his phone away. "What are you talking about?"

"That, with your phone," Nick gestured at his pocket where Sem's phone now was. 

Sem crossed his arms in front of his chest like Emma had. "You too? Can't a guy chat with someone for a sec, geez." 

"You shouldn't be chatting with someone." 

"Why?"

Nick subtly glanced at their other two friends on the couch, before leaning a bit closer to Sem. "Because Emma likes you, okay." 

Sem's eyebrows shot up. "What?" 

Nick shifted again, leaning his back against the couch. "Yeah, Sophie told Ethan, and he told me today that she wants to try and get closer to you. So you shouldn't be on your phone, but pay attention to her." 

Could she really like him? They got along pretty decently. Sem was closer to his guy friends though, and Emma was closer to her girl friends. He and Emma only held small talk during lunch breaks, and they could have a good laugh together. They'd known, and had been on friendly terms with each other, since they were twelve. 

 ...They had known each other for quite a while indeed, which meant she'd seen all the bad stuff too. She'd been around since Sem first started hitting parties, and breaking hearts. She'd heard all the stories first hand, and most of all, she'd had a front row seat during the Shannon incident. 

Shannon was, putting it lightly, not one of Sem's proudest moments. She was his one and only ex-girlfriend, who he had dumped a week after taking her virginity, without ever telling her why. A dick move, but he had his reasons. Dumping someone without a reason was cruel. But dumping someone, and telling her you realised you're definitely gay because of sleeping with her? That her body felt unnatural against his? That her boobs were about as much of a turn-on as pillows? That was even more cruel. Just like continuing to date her, and lying, was. Besides, it was not clever to tell a pissed off ex-girlfriend a life unhinging secret like being gay. 

One thing was for sure: there's no way a sane, smart girl like Emma would've forgotten about Shannon. "Are you sure man? Emma knows all the stories. Including the Shannon story." 

Nick hesitated before answering. "You've changed Sem. I mean, you don't really do shit like with those party girls, or Shannon, anymore. You haven't screwed anyone over since her. Well, unless there are things you're not telling me. Like, you have a secret double life as German dungeon porn master."

Sem could only muster a faint, forced smile at Nick's joke. The way his best friend put it, it did sound like Sem had bettered his life, rather than finding out he was gay and not being ready to act on that. He didn't really make out with random girls anymore, and no breaking hearts either, in any case. Except for Emma's, if she decided to pursue. Sem felt bad at the idea. She didn't deserve that.

"So, are you down with it? Emma?" 

Nick looked tense, and was staring at Sem rather intently as he awaited his answer. 

Sem shrugged. "I don't know." 

"How do you not know?" Nick's eyes widened so far, they looked like they could pop out, "She's perfect. I swear, most guys in school would kill to be in your shoes right now." 

Sem looked over at Emma, who was now standing near the kitchen, chatting with Sophie and some other girls from school. She certainly was beautiful, with her full lips, shiny brown hair, and a body that often earned her envious glares from the other girls in school. Not only that: she was nice, too. A lot nicer than Sem was. 

He'd have to be a complete idiot not to want her. Everyone would react like Nick, expecting him to act on it. But he didn't long to talk to her, or be with her, the way he did with Connor. 

Why couldn't he be honest with Nick? He may not be a dungeon porn master, but he was definitely not telling his best friend everything. And for the first time, Sem realised just how much it was eating away at him. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4M 18.6K 7
Highest rank #1 in teen fiction I had a simple plan. Get a good GPA, escape into college and never turn back. I didn't hate anything because I knew...
351K 13.8K 40
The rich kid with a perfect life is challenged to make the bad boy with a bad temper fall in love with him - and things get messy when he finds himse...
804 0 10
(Book 2 in THE PEACH-POUNDING PETERS OF PETERSON HALL series.) Welcome to Port Pelle College, where all the action starts and ends on the fourth flo...
1.8M 63.9K 47
[ boy x boy ] Ethan Ryder wasn't planning on moving to a new town just before starting his final year at high school. He wasn't planning on leaving...