Soldiers (Completed) •Soldier...

Door janejane_jane

When Bucky had saved Steve from the river, he was determined to find out about his past. He was lost and conf... Meer

Prologue
Soldiers Cast List
Chapter 1: The Captain In Tights
Chapter 2: Betrayed and Used
Chapter 3: Illustration
Chapter 4: Beyond The Limit
Chapter 5: Meeting Natasha Romanoff
Chapter 6: Dinner
Chapter 7: Getting To Know Them
Chapter 8: Who Are You?
Chapter 9: Get Out!
Chapter 10: History
Chapter 11: Strangers No More
Chapter 12: Fresh Start
Chapter 13: Typical Monday Morning
Chapter 14: Exposed
Chapter 15: Family, eh?
Chapter 16: Good Night
Chapter 17: Remembering
Chapter 18: Training
Chapter 19: Torn
Chapter 20: New Assignment
Chapter 21: Smile Bucky
Chapter 22: Stick With The Plan
Chapter 23: Steve?
Chapter 24: Best friend And Best...Girl?
Chapter 25: Few Hours Ago
Chapter 26: The Voice
Chapter 27:Serum
Chapter 28: For Their Good
Chapter 29: Matron
Chapter 30: Lies And Confessions
Chapter 31: New Threat Revealed
Chapter 32: My Lottie
Chapter 33: Goodbyes And Kisses
Author's Note
Chapter 34: Night Falls Guards Down
Chapter 36: New War And New Age
Chapter 37: Big Girls Cry
Epilogue
Great News!!

Chapter 35: And It Begins

7.3K 268 113
Door janejane_jane

Matron

Okay, Bucky was definitely hot. Gorgeous, even. But he still remained an asshole in my head.

I resisted the urge to whistle when Bucky was forced by Pepper to turn around so everybody in the room could see his new haircut. The embarrassment on his face was real and hilarious. To be fair, Bucky was incredibly good-looking with his short hair. Clint whistled, and I grinned at him.

"What do you all think?" Pepper asked enthusiastically. Natasha smiled smugly as she took a seat on the sofa. Ever since the clock had hit seven, Charlotte's workers had gathered on Charlotte's and Bucky's floor at Stark Tower. We were hungry children waiting to be fed on Tony's money roll.

"Hot," Clint commented, earning a death glare from Bucky. I couldn't help but beam at the embarrassed and awkward man in amusement. He caught my glance and glared daggers. I shrugged casually and from the corner of my eyes, I saw Steve chuckling and shaking his head.

Yup, you had heard me. Captain America was sharing the sofa with Clint and I. Damn, who had Charlotte been working with?

They were strong, powerful and dangerous to start with. I knew that Steve Rogers wouldn't be a threat because he was righteous and all for justice. Clint and Natasha were what I could have imagined as modern James Bond. But Bucky? He was a whole new level of mystery.

Pepper put both of her hands on Bucky's shoulders and moved him towards Charlotte. The couple flustered and flushed. I giggled in disbelief. "Lottie?" Pepper questioned gleefully.

"Looks good," Charlotte finally managed to answer. Her gaze was averted and her cheeks were reddened like her eyes. A few days ago I would have flinched when I saw her ruby eyes. But now? I was just content that my best friend was safe.

Bucky's eyes gleamed with mischief. "That's it?" He arched an eyebrow and a lopsided smile appeared on his face. Everybody was startled at his bold manner, but Clint broke the tension after a heartbeat.

"Ohhh," he hummed and clicked with his tongue. Charlotte levelled gaze with Bucky, a hidden smile was playing at her lips. Before, I could have thought I was the only one who could read Charlotte's secret expression. Now, I didn't think I was the only one who could do that. Bucky was reading my best friend like a book too.

Alas, the elevator rang and Tony arrived, rubbing his hands together with an anticipated grin. "Anybody ready for dinner?"

To be fair, I was quite surprised when Clint called me and invited me for dinner with everybody. For sure I knew I wasn't very much welcomed among Charlotte's new friends, especially her damn boyfriend. But hey, as long as my best friend was safe and happy, I would tag along for some free food. I was too broke for proper food in quite a bit anyway.

I drove my way there in my crappy red Mini Cooper. Since the main ride was full, Steve Rogers, the Captain America, volunteered to join me on my embarrassing drive. My knuckles were white on the steering wheel as I tried not to break any traffic rules in front of Captain America.

The air was thickened with silence and my discomfort. I peeked at the man, who was staring ahead on the road in thoughts. The car stunk of wet cats and boots. Damn the crazy cat lady that had sold me this crappy car at a ridiculously sweet price. I sighed and turned on my old fashion stereo. Why did I have to be so broke?

The two of us jumped when Show Me by Kid Ink blasted through the speakers. A car honked loudly behind me as I tried to steady the car and fumbled for the switch on my stereo. "Sorry," I muttered, laughing nervously when the lyrics put a frown on Captain's face. Finally, I turned the stereo off and the car was once again filled with silence.

Clearing my throat, I was determined to find something to talk about with Captain America. "Captain-"

"Steve will do, ma'am."

I peered at him, something picked at my heart. Smiling slightly, I replied, "in that case, call me Matron."

Steve's frown dissolved, and we began small talks as we both pretended I had never played Kid Ink out loud accidentally in front of Captain America.

Supper was good. In fact, it had been quite a while since I had something that tasted like paradise. I savoured the bitter sweet of Tony's favourite wine and sat back. Next to me, Charlotte and Bucky were quiet as the others chatted on, with Tony being the loudest, Pepper watching him lovingly; Bruce observing Natasha with slightly awe and admiration, there was something else there that I couldn't quite catch; Clint and Steve were discussing something vigorously. Above all, however, Bucky and Charlotte held hands. Nothing more was needed to say between them. They knew each other was there and that was enough.

I allowed myself to imagine that this was the perfect ending for everyone by the table. Then, as if God had decided to shove my thoughts back up my behind, Natasha's phone rang to break in the news.

It was easy for me to pick up words from Natasha's phone call, despite the noises in the restaurant. It was one of the few secrets that I was hiding from Charlotte...

The woman's expression darkened at once, catching everyone's attention. Steve leaned in on his elbow, and Clint never removed his eyes from Natasha.

"They've brought her in-Her intention is still to be determined."

Natasha tilted her head, her glints fell on Charlotte consciously. "Should she meet her?"

"It's a reluctant yes from Director Fury. Can you guys come in now?"

Natasha reached up to gesture for a waiter. "You've got it," She replied to the other person on the phone as the waiter approached. Hanging up on her phone call, Natasha smiled at the waiter, who seemed slightly dazed by the woman's charm. "Can we have the bill please?"

If he was confused, the waiter didn't say anything. Nodding, he hurried away to get our bills. I sat still, carefully mastering my expression to cover the fact that I had had listened to Natasha's whole conversation with the person on the phone. "What's wrong?" Steve questioned gravely. Sensing Natasha' constant gaze on Charlotte, Bucky's arm creaked with tension as he kept his grip firm on Charlotte's hand.

"Your mother has just been arrested for public violation in Smithsonian. Shield brought her in instead, under government influential, of course."

Charlotte blinked, her face was pale. Everybody's attention returned to her. To show her nerves and anxiety, her eyes began to seep with redness. "My mum?" She faltered and surprisingly, Bucky put an arm around her protectively and Charlotte leaned in without a second thought.

"What sort of public violation?" Tony asked with a frown. Next to him, Pepper watched the conversation moving out of her control helplessly, her hand was tightly entwined with Tony's.

Natasha's brows ceased and the air was sparking with tension. The waiter returned with a really bad timing. Realizing he had stepped amidst a serious conversation, the waiter froze in his frame. Putting on her sweet smile, Natasha turned to him and placed a generous amount of notes on the silver plate. "Keep the change, sweetheart," She remarked and pushed away from the table. The waiter, who was merely a young boy emerging into adulthood, stared at the notes on his tray. 

"Thanks, miss," He mumbled and gazed among us. We took our hint and stood from our chairs as well.

"Thought I was paying?" Tony chimed in good-humorly, though it wasn't hard to tell that he was taken back by the change of events. Natasha put on her coat and Clint glanced about us as if he was looking out for potential threat. Bucky helped Charlotte up, his eyes were serious and cautious. Charlotte's expression was blank, like how she liked to conceal the fact that she was indeed frightened. 

She hadn't seen her mother since she had left her. Charlotte had all the right to be scared, now that her mother had decided to pop up in public by getting arrested. These weren't coincident. They were chained, somehow, in a twisted way, under a carefully calculated scheme. 

As we headed out of the restaurant, Clint's phone beeped. His expression was weary when he told us he had to go. It wasn't difficult to tell that Fury had something else planned for the spy, probably related to the abrupt appearance of Charlotte's mother. Nodding at Natasha gravely, Clint took off in another street. 

Tony scowled up at the sky, he had only slightly relaxed when Pepper leaned in to peck on his cheek. They whispered something and a wan smirk played at Tony's lips. Natasha fished out a key set and handed it over to Tony. "I'm calling shotgun," She said casually, as if she was trying to lighten up the atmosphere. 

I turned to reach for my car, only to jump slightly when I realized Steve was following me. Of course he would join me on my ride again. It made sense. It wasn't like he wanted to spend more time with me alone or anything. Okay, Matron, just stop. 

Before I pulled myself into the driver seat, I cast one last look over at the group. Bucky had locked Charlotte in a secure embrace. He kissed the top of her forehead gently and Charlotte fluttered her eyes close. "I'll be here with you," Bucky had said. I was finally growing to like them together, though I wasn't sure I would spend the effort to stand Bucky if it wasn't for Charlotte. I liked the fact that instead of saying clingy things like 'everything will be fine', Bucky went for the more realistic ones, and somehow, I believed him when he said he would be there for my best friend. 

Despite of what I had heard of him, I believed the legendary assassin when he made the promise.

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

31.1K 715 47
Evelyn had lost everything the day Hydra took her. Her friends, her family, and her freedom. She had given up hope and then The Avengers attacked t...
445K 13.9K 45
Bucky Barnes had found refuge on a small farm in Montana two years ago. It was there that the Winter Soldier seemed to disappear from his mind and B...
121K 3.1K 30
Pietro's death is still haunting Wanda. She can't seem to find a reason to be happy again. That is until she meets James Buchanan Barnes. Steve Roger...
18.7K 620 22
When Natasha comes back from a particularly difficult mission to find that Clint has disappeared off the grid. She must find him before it's too late...